Rooney or Van Persie

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Inspectah deck, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

Not yesterday.
  2. Mar 7, 2012

thepolice123 Full Member

Rooney's finishing can be pretty terrible, couple that with his lack of left foot, RVP overrall is the better finisher.
  3. Mar 7, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

All I said was, "not yesterday".
  4. Mar 7, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

I've implied that he's hit a level that is closer to the likes of Henry and Ronaldo that any of the top players in the league have hit. And on that basis, I consider him the best. I don't vouch for him continuing to be the best or being the best on reflection at the end of his career. It could end up being a one off year or he might have 3 such amazing years or for all we know he could start becoming a crock all over again.

As for yesterday, it's not really relevant to the comparison now is it? I'm hardly going breeze in here claiming Rooney is worse off with respect to the comparison if he tomorrow has an off day (in which he scores might I add) which he will do. It just seems extremely irrelevant.
  5. Mar 7, 2012

Yeah, but what's the point really? It comes across as a bit bitter to be honest. It would be pointless for this to be reduced from discussion on the two players to taking corners, waiting for opportunities to gain points and striking when the iron is hot.

It would be strange if I keep rushing in here when Rooney's touch or head goes for an individual game and quote the sentence above the one you quoted and say the same thing you did.

Personally, I'm open to discussion. I have no great interest in Van Persie's fortunes in the future. I'd obviously prefer Rooney to dwarf him in terms of performances given he plays for us. Right now, I believe he (VP) is better. Let's see how it pans out in the future. And if my opinion on that changes, it will be on the basis of actual performance levels rather than someone missing a chance or getting sent off.
  6. Mar 7, 2012

Jopub From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b

"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
    Rooney is the best surely

.....This is a ManUtd forum so he must be (why bother discussing anything)
  7. Mar 7, 2012

Kevin Clearly a professor of football

Nearly? Really? No fecking way.
  8. Mar 7, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

Now there's some hyperbole for you...
  9. Mar 7, 2012

Tibs Full Member

Fair enough that's your opinion.

But no, we can only dream of Rooney being on that level right now
  10. Mar 7, 2012

:lol:
  11. Mar 7, 2012

thepolice123 Full Member

What? I find it hard to believe nobody here considers Rooney's playmaking abilities to be nearly as good as Xavi/Iniesta. :houllier:

In terms of passing, positioning, movement and decision-making, I don't think he is as far off from Xavi/Iniesta as people here are thinking? His ball-control can be erratic but on his day it is surely as good as Xavi/Iniesta?
  12. Mar 7, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Given a large chunk of posters on this forum have said Van Persie that would prove you wrong. Go back to continually asking for Wenger to be sacked (another thing you're continually wrong on).
  13. Mar 7, 2012

thepolice123 Full Member

No top team can get away playing a 38-year old, a 36-year old or a young CB in two-man midfield and still be challenging for titles. One of the big reasons why our midfield hasn't been overrun for the past two seasons is because we have Rooney dropping very deep to support it. Rooney is invaluable to our football.
  14. Mar 7, 2012

How about giving the 38 year old and 36 year some credit as well for that? Our whole football side doesn't solely revolve around Wayne Rooney. We managed pretty well in the first half of last season when Berbatov and Nani were superb and Rooney was mending his broken touch.

Seriously, how is Rooney's playmaking abilities even close to Xavi and Iniesta? How?? It's one of the silliest claims I've heard here in a long time. And the bit about his first touch is laughable. You could make a claim for Berbatov's first touch matching anyone. But Rooney's first touch isn't even one of his biggest strengths, forget being as good as two players with absolutely brilliant ball control.
  15. Mar 7, 2012

This is true which is why the answer to the question below is quite simple:

If Rooney and Van Persie swapped places, United would feel the bigger loss.

However I disagree with you that Rooney is as good as Xavi in his role, he just is required to do a role that has functions that are similar to Xavi's if anything.
  16. Mar 7, 2012

JazzG Resident Arse.

Didn't have the greatest game and the miss was poor by his standards. I can see his rationale behind his chip because the keeper was right close to him but the more elaborate attempts always look bad when they don't come off!
  17. Mar 7, 2012

Bloody hell. You'd think Rooney is the reason for the sun popping out from behind the clouds going by some of those posts. Fergie should thank Rooney every single day that he allows him to put the young and extremely talented Phil Jones in midfield. Giggs and Scholes too, for their careers would never have been prolonged if it wasn't for Rooney.
  18. Mar 7, 2012

JazzG Resident Arse.

Rooney being compared to Xavi and Iniesta, I think I've heard it all now....
  19. Mar 7, 2012

Forget that. His playmaking abilities are almost as good. So imagine in totality how fecking incredible Wayne Rooney is. Mess who?
  20. Mar 7, 2012

That's exactly what we've done for a lot of this season, and the majority of last. Rooney dropping deep has only really become a major part of our play this season, and only really does he actually get involved in the "midfield work" in the bigger games that we've played. We're playing a 4-4-1-1... not a 4-5-1. The reason we're not being "overrun" is because Carrick/Cleverley/Scholes/Giggs/whoevers in there are very good footballers... Rooney obviously assists, particularly when we ask him to sit on the deepest man of the oppositions midfield 3 if the game requires it, but I think you're over-exaggerating his contribution to that area of the field, and under-appreciating what our current midfielders bring to the table.

To say our current midfield situation is "dire" is frankly an insult to a man that has been in superb form in Michael Carrick, and another two men who, whilst may be getting on a bit, are still a class above the majority of footballers in the league.

That's like saying Ashley Young's finishing is as good as Wayne Rooney's... because on his day (Sunday) he lashed in two beauties.

Rooney's playmaking skills are very good, but you're talking about Xavi and Iniesta here, two of the best (if not the best) passers and manipulaters of a football in the world... Rooney's passing and creating skills, whilst fantastic, are simply not on the same level... if they were, surely he'd carve out a lot more chances and bag a lot more assists then the 3 he currently has to his name??
  21. Mar 7, 2012

Comparing Rooney directly to Xavi or Iniesta is ridiculous. But it's not difficult to say we rely on Rooney's playmaking abilities which are very good just not up there with the best.
  22. Mar 7, 2012

Fair play to your Fifa12 skills controlling Rooney. :keano:
  23. Mar 7, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

:lol: I find it hard to believe you have the cheek to stick a houllier on the end of a claim that Rooney is almost as good at playmaking as Xavi/Iniesta. If you can not spot the difference in quality by now, i doubt you ever will. :wenger:
  24. Mar 7, 2012

Indeed, I don't think anyone doubts that... but as you say, I think the vast majority would say it's not Xavi/Iniesta levels.
  25. Mar 7, 2012

In all seriousness, if Rooney really is nearly as good as them at what they do... pair that with his goalscoring, surely we have our very own Messi.

COWABUNGA, be right back, I'm going to do some backflips.
  26. Mar 7, 2012

Hectic Moderator

That's a daring statement, but it's really very mental. He doesn't have the ability or the consistency of those two in terms of playmaking, it isn't even close.
  27. Mar 7, 2012

vuc First Team Serb

28. Mar 7, 2012

29. Mar 7, 2012

vuc First Team Serb

Are you going to bump this everytime he misses a chance?

9 times out of 10 that chip yesterday would have gone in, it didn't that is the main thing and he did feck up and not really have a good game - yet he still scored.
  30. Mar 7, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Have you even bothered to read the thread?
    Moron.
  31. Mar 7, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

Being dependent on someone's contribution is not really the same as suggesting that contribution is up there with the best of the best.

Let's not forget Chelsea rely on the defensive contributions of David Luiz! :eek:
  32. Mar 7, 2012

He compared them.
  33. Mar 7, 2012

Who compared them?
  34. Mar 7, 2012

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

I take it you've never actually watched Iniesta or Xavi play?
  35. Mar 7, 2012

Hectic Moderator

On his day he is as good as Xavi/Iniesta. Which means on his day, coupled with being a world class striker anyway, he's about 5 times as good as Messi.
  36. Mar 7, 2012

The police dude.

You said saying he's important isn't the same as saying his contribution is right up there whereas he's compared rooneys playmaking skills to Xavi and iniesta (id quote it my phone wasn't messing up).
  37. Mar 7, 2012

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Rooney's second goal against Liverpool the other week was with his left foot. Just sayin.
  38. Mar 7, 2012

TheHorse'sMouth Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Your entitled to your opinion and all that, but that's just utterly ridiculous on every single level you look at it. He's a good playmaker in your system, but is light years behind Xavi let alone Iniesta.
  39. Mar 7, 2012

vuc First Team Serb

Are you saying that Xavi is miles behind Iniesta as a playmaker?
  40. Mar 7, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

It's not bitter whatsoever. I like RvP and think he's a fantastic player.

This was the natural place to place his performance into the debate we've been having.

I thought he was unbelievably poor on two of his three big moments in the match.

The square ball to Rosicky when they were 2 v 1 and his astonishing miss.

Not to denigrate his form this season, it's been brilliant, but they really ought to have gone through yesterday and would have done but for a couple of poor moments.