Rooney: "United lacks leadership"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Thepinhead, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jul 17, 2017

sammsky1 Full Member

Sounds like you're a fan of Ronaldo before United.

Ronaldo is no way close to being a legendary player for us. He'll be remembered as a Madrid icon who spent a fee formative years developing at Manchester United. Abit like Riots relationship with West Ham.

As for being respectful, does that include him claiming he was a slave or the few months of downed tools so he could sulk in his final year?

I've found memories of Ronnie and think very highly of him, but it's not massively in the context of Manchester United.
  2. Jul 17, 2017

Runner Full Member

I voted No in the poll about rooney being a man united legend and feel he'll continue to criticize the club in the future. He's a scrote.
  3. Jul 17, 2017

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Yet, he didn't leave.

And while the way Rooney went about it that summer was wrong, his complaints were valid IMO. We didn't show ambition the past 2 summers(09 and 2010). We barely spent anything during the 2009 and 2010 summer windows.
  4. Jul 17, 2017

stevoc Full Member

Neither did Rooney, theres no proof beyond tabloid nonsense of the City link. Mancini and Rooney both confirmed there was no truth in it.

For a decent insight into what actually happened with Rooney in 2010, read Fergusons book.
  5. Jul 17, 2017

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

This place is so toxic when it comes to Rooney. I havent read the article but the headline is correct. United do lack a leader.
  6. Jul 17, 2017

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

Keane Scholes and giggs have also crisized the club. You can vote no all you want but fact is he is this clubs top scorer and a key player during probably our most successful periods ever. An overwhelming majority will forever regard Wayne Rooney as a man united legend.
  7. Jul 17, 2017

Jaybomb Full Member

Rio won feck all at West Ham. Ronaldo won us the Champions League ffs
  8. Jul 17, 2017

DizeeGorilla20 Full Member

Ronaldo left United in his prime for Real Madrid ffs

He's been a Real Madrid player for longer than he was a Utd player ffs

Ffs
  9. Jul 17, 2017

Jaybomb Full Member

What does that matter? He still won a shitload more than Rio did at West Ham. It's a crap comparison.

1 Champions League, 3 Premier Leagues, 120+ goal, 1 Club World Cup, 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups. And you're talking like he was some underachieving youth product that was shipped out at 21.
  10. Jul 17, 2017

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

And he wonders why there were little tears shed when he left. Complete lack of self-awareness.
  11. Jul 17, 2017

markhrad Full Member

I agree that we lack leaders. It all stemmed from Moyes coming and upsetting the dynamics of the team. We had 3 main leaders at that time, Vidic, Evra and Rio.
    Even though Vidic was captain Evra was known to be the leader in the dressing room and he was the players/ club spokesman. I think Rio's injury problem resulted him being passed over as captain by Fergie. Anyway as Vidic was on his way out the next natural captain should have been Evra and if Moyes had assured him of that he would never have left. Moyes ruined Rio by playing him too many matches in a row and for those who think that Rio was past it remember under Fergie he was managed properly and actually made the premiership 11, the year before Moyes took over. Rio, if used properly could have lasted at least another 2 years.
    The fact is Moyes came and in one season got rid of our natural leaders. Rooney and Carrick were a level below them in terms of leadership.
  12. Jul 17, 2017

IBleedRed likes to use pantyhose

Iirc, Blatter made the slave reference and I can't think of a time that Ronaldo ever "downed tools" or sulked.
    He's definitely a legend in my book. One of United's best ever players and helped to win loads of silverware, during one of the best eras of the club.
  13. Jul 17, 2017

okLaptop1 Full Member

If we only had a leader that lost the man he was marking, then yell at the defenders after that man scored.

Oh wait.
  14. Jul 17, 2017

MuranoLover New Member

Was just about to say the same - wearing Everton pijamas and now saying this , Rooney seems he was with us only for the cash and trophies .

One more sentence from him like that and I would be ashamed of him being our all time top scorer .
  15. Jul 17, 2017

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Lead by example : DDG, Valencia, Pogba, Lukaku,

Lead absolutely : Bailly, Lindelof, Herrera,

Negligible : Darmian, Fellaini, Miki, Martial

It's not a team of Captains but it's not that bad when looking at our likely starting 11.

Rooney isn't wrong, but his lack of self awareness is galling. He genuinely thinks he was a leader. In reality he has never thrived as that guy.
  16. Jul 17, 2017

Seveneric Full Member

Well, he's right, but it's hard to accept and take seriously from him, when he's been the posterchild for what he's complaining about, so yeah.

It's like Suarez talking about the prevalence of diving in football or something. He'd be right too, but most people would find it laughable from him.
  17. Jul 17, 2017

marukomu The Gatekeeper

We do need a leader. Maybe Rooney knows that he wasn't it.
  18. Jul 17, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

But you have to laugh when it actually comes from the main leader... no? You get the irony?
  19. Jul 17, 2017

Moonred Full Member

He is right and he himself was at fault at times. Also, it's rather obvious and barely a revelation.
  20. Jul 17, 2017

Drifter American

Been saying that for ages. Rooney was not the answer. Unfortunately unless we can find another Roy Keane ,we are stuck with what we've got
  21. Jul 17, 2017

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

They do. And they did.

That was HIS job though, you know the record goalscorer, the stalwart of the team, the club captain. That's what people have a problem with.
  22. Jul 17, 2017

mitchmouse Full Member

It might also help if people read the entire interview with Rooney rather than the soundbites the red tops have thrown at us... and no one on the anti-Rooney brigade ever actually answer the questions about other want-away strs who left or whether they'd turn down a chance of a pay rise themselves. Anyone who does even try to answer those too then goes on about rooney being overpaid. You might as well ask why a lawyer earns more than the guy serving fish at Tesco
  23. Jul 17, 2017

Minimalist Full Member

Replies in this thread defending Rooney sound like the types who ignore the bank CEO shuffling out of the building with his massive severance while muttering 'you know, they're a bunch of crooks in there!'.

Or better yet, the drivel about 'well Rooney would know better than us!'. Like that matters in the slightest. Leadership is something that is very much evident on the pitch - not something just locked away in the dressing room like some on here would have you believe. That's when the rubber meets the road and Rooney is comfortably the worst leader/captain I've seen for United.
  24. Jul 17, 2017

Aki_United New Member

It's so annoying to read Ronnies name again in this topic...

Everyone who is saying he is a bigger United legend than Wazza is a fanboy and a United supporter because CR7 played for Utd

CR7 is a Madrid legend and Utd was his stepping stone and no he did not win us the cl the whole team was excellent and won it

Btt:

Wazza is shrek and a lazy person but he is the top scorer. Some people have short memories. He is a Utd legend, that's a fact.
  25. Jul 17, 2017

ice-bionic red Full Member

Never have I been so glad for a club legend to leave. feck off Wayne.
  26. Jul 17, 2017

buchansleftleg New Member

I think they earned the right to be critical of the club by giving their all for the club on a consistent basis, showing professional standards in their personal fitness and recognising when their performances were dipping and doing something about it. Rooney is no legend and will increasingly alienate the fans as he revises history to meet his own narrow narrative.
  27. Jul 17, 2017

itso 7 Full Member

Classic case of pot calling kettle back, he is blamimg someone for the job that was primarily his and its pathetic that he finds the voice to protest dropping of standards only after he has been dumped back to scouse land on account of being way below standard. Anyway he is no longer our problem just as being our head cheerleader no longer is his. Just sad the door didn't hit him on his way out of Old Trafford.
  28. Jul 17, 2017

Stevie G's Red Card New Member

Nobody is noticing that little nugget further down the quote, where he says
    “To be honest, it would have been easy for me to sit at Man United, sit on the bench like I did last season, pick up my money and see you later. But I am not that kind of person," ​

Well, you're saying yourself you spent a year with us, sitting on the bench, picking up your money and see you later. So you were that kind of person last season, weren't you? Thanks for that, Wayne.
  29. Jul 17, 2017

Escape Goat New Member

Supports:
    Forest
    It's one thing criticising the club, another thing entirely to criticise the club for having no-one doing the very job you were paid circa £300k/week to do.
  30. Jul 17, 2017

Escape Goat New Member

Supports:
    Forest
    Indeed.

Every story I hear about Moyes reaffirms my belief that he is a complete and utter muppet; the managerial David McBrent.
  31. Jul 17, 2017

smallred Full Member

the captain of the team talking about a lack of leadership?
    talking about standards when his own were those of a washed up low level footballer.

what a deluded man. good riddance.
  32. Jul 17, 2017

prtk0811 Full Member

And Rooney was supposed to be that leader , that's why we were paying him 300k for being a legend and made him the captain.

He sulked at31.
  33. Jul 17, 2017

misterredmist Full Member

I have no problem with Rooney and the article, I think he makes valid points that have probably been obvious to most and his advice to
    Lukaku is a back handed compliment to United and what is expected of players at Old Trafford.
  34. Jul 17, 2017

Craig Ward Full Member

While UTD aren't where we want to be and haven't for a number of seasons, feel this comment is completely unnecessary given how recently Rooney has departed.

I've supported Rooney while others have slated him for greed and poor form, always thought he would find his form again.

Maybe if he led by example the club wouldn't be finishing 6th or 7th. While its not all down to him, he could have put way more effort in the last few seasons. He;s been cruising for years which shows his true character.

Granted he is all time scorer, but he has world class ability and done nothing for 3/4 seasons. He could have been truly world class, up there with Ronaldo with the correct dedication and application.
  35. Jul 17, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

We do. Feels like there's a lot of weak minds in there
  36. Jul 17, 2017

GBBQ Full Member

Is it Rooney's place to say it though? Or is it appropriate to say it just a week after leaving said team mates?

He's hardly been the consummate professional all his career.
  37. Jul 17, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Leadership is overrated

Leadership matters in a tight final, not in a premier league matches against watford, you need good football against 3/4 of the teams in epl.
  38. Jul 17, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Nope, he's being a nob. Pretty stupid too, considering he was the club captain.
  39. Jul 17, 2017

BigBebe Full Member

I have just moved house. The thing is, in my old house, the garden was a total mess. Of course, when I moved in, it looked fantastic but then they put me in charge of the gardening and now it is a weedy scraggy mess so whoever moves in there, it going to have to sort that out.

Anyway, in my new house, they have now put me in charge of the garden so I am hoping that it will all work out well.
  40. Jul 17, 2017

R77 Full Member

Certainly a divisive character. Both sides in this thread are right, in a way.

It's known that Fergie scouted a player's character and personal life as well as on-field ability. This, more often than not, resulted in players that assimilated well into the club culture and collective mentality. It's probably fair to say, from observing some signings in recent times, that same scrutiny maybe hasn't continued after SAF left. There's also been a lot of upheaval in a relatively short time. That can't help either.

That doesn't change the irony in his comments though.