1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Barkley...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rozay, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Oct 28, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

You were one of the ones I recall that was always backing us to sign him. I think you're right but it's really hard to see that potential when you don't have the quality coaching.
  2. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

That assist for Morata was lovely.
  3. Oct 28, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

He has always been a player I have liked. Agree with the quality coaching, though. Ross has always had the physical attributes, which is massive in the modern game. Quick, powerful lad. What was lacking is his understanding of the game, and it seems that under Sarri, who is tactically very good, he is starting to really flourish.

Still very early in the season, and he will need to continue performing at a high level to be in that bracket of a 'top class' player, but I honestly think he has it in him.
  4. Oct 28, 2018

izec Full Member

Glad i believed in him, there always was a player in there
  5. Oct 28, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I didn't want him.
  6. Oct 28, 2018

7. Oct 28, 2018

youmeletsfly Full Member

Barkley is the absolute example that good coaching and positive management can bring players from under the water.

Meawhile in Manchester...
  8. Oct 28, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

Perfectly precise assist.He cushions the ball for just the right amount of time before releasing it.
  9. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

For £15m we were never going to lose money on him.
  10. Oct 28, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Here is my take :D

The best thing will happen for Barkley or Loftus Cheek is to work with someone like Sarri.

Some doubted he wouldn't play them because Kovacic is a foreign signing. In the first place he is there to win and get the 3 points, and he will do it with those he thinks are suited for that. Nothing against Academy players or English ones. At Napoli only Insigne was Italian, if we take Jorginho out of the equation.
  11. Oct 28, 2018

Orc Pretended to be a United fan for two years

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Top coaching off the pitch with Sarri and having two world class midfield partners in Jorginho and Kante are really helping him.

He and Kovacic have both been really solid so it's definitely a selection headache for Sarri.
  12. Oct 28, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Think he'll favour Kovacic in games where Chelsea have to defend more and Barkley where they face teams that sit in.
  13. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

I think this is one of the main things he needed. Being the top talent in the Everton midfield meant he was always trying to do too much, and couldn't just learn from better players and build his own talent.
  14. Oct 28, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    This and learning with Sarri too. Chalobah woked with Sarri at Napoli and even not playing much with him said he learned a lot with him. I heard this on a podcast related to Italian football with James Richardson if I am not wrong. You guys have there a great manager. If he will win important titles is another matter.
  15. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

Yeah, seriously tough time in the PL to try and do that, but we seem to be heading in the right direction. I'm hoping he can pick up a cup or two this year to break his duck.
  16. Oct 28, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    The problem with football fans is your team can play good football, the manager can improve players, but if he doesn't win nothing sooner or later they will come with the old "I told you so he never won nothing" argument.
  17. Oct 28, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yep. He’s transformed him in 2 months, makes you wou wonder what a good coach could do for us.
  18. Oct 28, 2018

Rozay Master of Hindsight

I practically saved his career with this thread :D

Always saw the talent, and have said for a while that I see SOME of Kev de Bruyne in him. His on a great run at the moment and Alli (rightly) won’t be getting that England place back from him in a hurry.
  19. Oct 28, 2018

GledTheRed Full Member

Fantastic today.
  20. Oct 29, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Cesc isn't as bad as people think in terms of defensive positioning, his big problem is he has no agility or lateral movement meaning often people just glide past him even when he's positioned well..
  21. Oct 29, 2018

RochaRoja Full Member

People forget that Frank Lampard didn’t have his breakout season at Chelsea until he turned 25.

Barkley is still 24.
  22. Oct 29, 2018

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    What I’ve seen is that Cesc’s legs are literally immobile. His legs don’t want to do want his brain wants. Still a great player who is capable of playmaking, just a problem when opposition get at him.
  23. Oct 29, 2018

Hoof The Ball Full Member

I'd say a good 3/4 of Redcafe, based on comments, kept saying Barkley was "sh*t", even though it was absolutely obvious that he possessed very good technical quality. Fair play to those that did hold to that opinion of him spanning back a few years, also.
  24. Oct 29, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Barkley has had an excellent few games but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
  25. Oct 29, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He's always had talent, he's just a bit brainless. He's so often been very frustrating to watch because he never seems to make the right decisions .. but coaching can help a hell of a lot with this, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sarri does mould him in to an effective player. Put in the right system he has the tools to be dangerous, I always considered him one of Everton's best players and IIRC he had a couple of seasons for them where he looked great.
  26. Oct 29, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Football fans are always reactionary. He’ll be overrated trash again before long.
  27. Feb 10, 2019

FootyGirl88

Him and Lukaku both need to go back to Everton, that's their level.
  28. Feb 10, 2019

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    Lukaku should have stayed one more season with us and then moved in hindsight, but also his first season at United was a good starting point, he's just had a horrible second season so i disagree with you that we are Lukakus level, he's definitely got it in him to rebuild and come back like someone such as Luke Shaw has. He shouldn't take being dropped as an insult but as a drive to get back to his best.

Barkley is a different case, left on bad terms and off the back of a bad injury where he didn't feature for pretty much any of the 17/18 season and suddenly he's starting fairly regularly for a Chelsea team that has a horrible dressing room atmosphere. Poor career move for him to have left in the way he did and to the wrong club.
  29. Feb 10, 2019

FootyGirl88

In hindsight both should have stayed where they were - lukaku thought he was too good for the club when in actual fact that was his level. With Barkley the fans were bullying him so I guess he had to leave.

But tbh neither are good enough to be starting for a top 6 team every week, they need to think about their next moves carefully.
  30. Feb 10, 2019

Robbie Boy Full Member

No idea why Chelsea signed him he’s nowhere near good enough.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  31. Feb 10, 2019

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    I disagree, Lukaku at his best is good enough to be starting for a top 6 team. Due to this season people are completely forgetting his scoring record in the PL prior to that reflective to his age and the team he was playing in. For the majority of the time he was with us we were floating around 10th in the league and in a team that had barely any creative outlets yet he was still banging them in for us.

Barkley should leave Chelsea though, he'd do well in Spain.
  32. Feb 10, 2019

stepic Full Member

Not exactly sure what Barkley really does on a football pitch. And he’s not really a central midfielder.
  33. Feb 10, 2019

FootyGirl88

Lukaku is a good goalscorer but that's about it, most top 6 clubs want more from their striker than just goals. This is why Lukaku falls flat, players like Rashford and Firmino may not get 25 goals a season but they offer their teams a lot more going forward.
  34. Feb 10, 2019

Seij Full Member

Still boggles my mind Danny Drinkwater and Ross Barkley were Chelsea's solution to their midfield.
  35. Feb 10, 2019

Wait there, so Kovavcic is good enough but Ross isnt?

Barkley didnt have the best of games today, but no one in a Chelsea shirt did.

Following a long lay off, he started the season tremendously when everyone more or less wrote him off. Came up with some crucial goals and assists and rightfully got his England call up, in which he bossed the game against a Spanish midfield consisting of Thiago, Saul and Busquets - all of which most on the Caf would deem world class.

Yes, he has been in poor form of late, but who in a Chelsea shirt hasn't?

He, along with every other Chelsea player, is suffering from the slow, predictable play of Sarri's system.

Will he go on to be a top class player and be pivotal to a team winning titles, who knows? I just find people are too quick to say some players are not good enough when they go through a dip in form.
  36. Feb 10, 2019

sunama Baghdad Bob

I remember that there were many who felt that MUFC should buy Barkley. Myself, I thought that Barkley's true level is Everton and that was the right club for him.

I think because Drinkwater had a good season with LCFC, alongside Kante, CFC thought that pairing them up again, would be a good idea.
    No idea why they bought Barkley.
  37. Feb 11, 2019

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    He has been in poor form of late just like his club. It really indicates nothing. He is good enough for any top 6 team when in form. Same as Kovavcic who has been equally as poor of late.
  38. Feb 11, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Oh I know, he won't. Best he can hope is be a part time player in a winning, he has never been nowhere near good to be the kinda player you mentioned
  39. Feb 11, 2019

dbs235 Full Member

If he didn't head the ball to Aguero would this thread have been bumped?
  40. Feb 11, 2019

What was that then?