Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MacMUFC, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Ears, do you make this stuff up?

I am sure you do. Or read RAWK Rafa threads a little too much.

Either is plain wrong.
  2. Jan 6, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I hope he goes. I want Dalglish in the job
  3. Jan 6, 2011

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

fwiw, having seen it with Houllier, I was less willing to give Rafa another season in the summer for just that reason.
  4. Jan 6, 2011

Devilton Banned

[​IMG]

beaking news: roy leaves anfield

:lol:
  5. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

All good!
  6. Jan 6, 2011

Donkey's Ears Full Member

Yes but then (by definition) Roy is paying the price for Rafa and the club's failings.
  7. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

:lol:
  8. Jan 6, 2011

holdsteady Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

JimBoardman‎ "The BBC understands that no decision will be made today" - BBC News channel discussing Roy Hodgson. #LFC
  9. Jan 6, 2011

Yes some blame was attached to Rafa but the overwhelming focus was on the owners. Accept that.

I am sure I can dig up posts defending the whole Johnson transfer and the Alonso exit.
  10. Jan 6, 2011

definitions aren't your strong side, are they?

Roy is paying the price for making a bad situation worse. His job description was improving it.

It's not rocket surgery this.
  11. Jan 6, 2011

If part of the reason they are ending Roy's reign now is the fear of repeating the mistakes they made with Rafa then by definition the judgement on Roy is being clouded by the previous manager's failings.

Hence in some way he is paying the price for Rafa's failings.

It doesn't mean that is the only reason. No one is denying that he has not done well. The question has he done poorly enough to warrant this reaction?

I think statistically it is very hard to distinguish this season from last.
  12. Jan 6, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Anyway, you can feel sorry for Roy, he's had a tough time and hasn't ever really looked on the ball at Liverpool, almost feels as if he wasn't given the chance to.

But he was, and that chance drifted further and further away. To look at where they are now, the squad they possess and the imminent future, I can more then understand his sacking, it's drastic measures, but it's drastic times for Liverpool.

You look at their recent performances and the confidence in players, manager and fans, and the question of where they might finish becomes a serious and worrying one (for them). To give Hodgson another season, is to put faith in his abilities for next year, why bother keeping him on till Summer and then getting rid? It's either push the time scale forward and bring in someone who might be able to work around their problems and re-coup for next season, or let Roy play out the season, more then likely fail pretty miserably, and then face either a sacking in Summer or a very hard campaign under immense pressure.

At least this way, they can write this season down to Roy/Rafa/Owners, whatever, and can give the new manager some time to install a you-are-better-then-wank mentality, as well as a full-summer with control over transfers and a pre-season to acquaint himself with the team.
  13. Jan 6, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Hmm...His soon to be sacking then.
  14. Jan 6, 2011

They're not going to get relegated and they'll find it hard to keep Torres etc whatever happens. So the risks in some ways are minimal.

It's more that the fan base seems irate.
  15. Jan 6, 2011

Hectic Moderator

It's not really minimal though is it...He might not get them relegated, but if he can't finish in the top half, the risks are massive. The pressure on their next campaign will be unbelievable.
  16. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

"Liverpool unable to confirm if Hodgson press conference will go ahead as planned tomorrow afternoon." says Dan Roan.

It really could be over, rover.
  17. Jan 6, 2011

Statistically we haven't had so few points at this stage since we were relegated in the 50s.

Statistically, we've scored less than we've conceded.

Statistically, we've won one away game. Taking roys tally to 13 premier league away wins in his career.

Playing with how the league table might pan out if roy actually wins games in a season where the difference between bottom and middle is incredibly small does not refect how poor he has been. We are still closer to relegation than the 7th spot.

Statistically, here's his win% compared to other liverpool managers since shankly:

Kenny Dalglish 60.71%
    Bob Paisley 56.08%
    Rafael Benítez 55.26%
    Bill Shankly 52.38%
    Joe Fagan 52.38%
    Gerard Houllier 50.00%
    Roy Evans 48.26%
    Graeme Souness 40.87%

Roy Hodgson 35.00%

Statistically, roy should be out on his arse. It just so happens, the performances have been even worse than what the stats suggest and so has his performance off the pitch an his transfers.

There is nothing to redeem him.
  18. Jan 6, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    He's a dead man walking, that's for sure.

The new owners were always going to want to get their own man in and Woy would have to be bloody good to hold onto his job. "Bloody good" he has not been. All of which makes it a bit moot to discuss whether or not he got a fair crack of the whip. A change of ownership always results in casualties, in any industry.
  19. Jan 6, 2011

Devilton Banned

I said it months ago (along with many others, including more then a few dippers) -- The man is simply out of his depth at a club like Liverpool.

I'm sure he's a lovely man and all, but drinking from that poisoned chalice was always going to end up badly for him. In all honesty, he should probably resign and leave with some dignity...but then I think if Rafa can get a multi million dollar payoff why shouldn't Roy?
  20. Jan 6, 2011

he'll never resign. If he gets us relegated, he'll be confident he is the man to take us straight back up.

And halfway into that season, he'll be the man to solidify our position in the top half of the championship. After all, we faced some outstanding competition and everyone has been singing the praises of the teams above us. What can you do against such overwhelming odds?
  21. Jan 6, 2011

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

They must have an eye on the upcoming clash with us, in fairness. They must be thinking along the following lines, if they introduce a new manager in the next couple of days his first game will be Vs the scousers most hated side.

So it'll be either a great game for him or a feck up really. So all things considered, it might be wise to keep Woy on till atleast this clash is over.

If not, prepared to be baptised in fire.
  22. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Judging by this thread, all the Utd fans will be singing how great Roy is and the Liverpool ones about booting him out.

Surreal.
  23. Jan 6, 2011

Bryan_Munich Aka RichieRich12

ajracingtips Roy Hodgson has bn seen packing "several big bags" in2 his car boot b4 leaving Melwood . mayB he'd done a big shop during his lunch hour?
  24. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Poulsen, Konchesky, Jones and a couple of others.
  25. Jan 6, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Cut out the text speech please BM.
  26. Jan 6, 2011

Bryan_Munich Aka RichieRich12

Apologies, copy and pasted it.
  27. Jan 6, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Ah, fair enough.
  28. Jan 6, 2011

Rams extremely handsome, intelligent, gay and talented

I don't think this is being handled well by the club. Liverpool have a massive game on Sunday, if they lose that it will leave them nothing to play for except for pride. So this saga won't be doing the team's preperations anygood. They need to come out ASAP and say if he's been sacked or is staying.
  29. Jan 6, 2011

An Irish Red Full Member

The fact that I would be incredibly happy if Roy got a ten year contract with the dippers just shows that he's not really the man they need.

Rafa has been the catalyst for the situation they are in, and the man responsible for the start of the rot, but Roy is actively making the situation much worse.

He can't win away from home, his tactics make Roberto Mancini look like Johan Cruijff, he thinks Paul Konchesky is worth buying and wants to mould the scousers in his image- which would basically mean turning them into Fulham. Add to that his press conferences where he praises and eulogises clubs that Liverpool have been hammering for most of their existence and I can fully understand why they want shot of him. In their eyes they belong at the top and Roy most certainly does not.

The problem is that Rafa has left them in such a terrible state that they are going to find it extremely hard to attract anyone substantially better. Like I said earlier I would absolutely love it if he could stay there for the rest of his career, I really would, but he's a goner and it's understandable. Any United fan on here who disagrees imagine what you would be like if he was at our club and we got slapped by City before he smirked through an interview praising our performance.
  30. Jan 6, 2011

agreed. FGS needs to wake up and smell the coffee. I know they are still learning the ropes, but they have experience with sports. wisen up please.
  31. Jan 6, 2011

Rahul Full Member

Meanwhile Hodgson looks on from his office at Liverpool Players training.

[​IMG]
  32. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

In charge for Sunday it seems.

Look out for his unique 9-0-1 - or the more offensive 8-0-2 - formation if you didn't catch it the first time round.

It's awesome.
  33. Jan 6, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Yeah apparently a few of the so called club legends are actually backing him to not get sacked. Brilliant! The dippers never fail to disappoint.
  34. Jan 6, 2011

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

35. Jan 6, 2011

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins

Worked for Mancini last night!
  36. Jan 6, 2011

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
  37. Jan 6, 2011

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

lolz ...(enclose it with [​IMG]
  38. Jan 6, 2011

noodlehair "It's like..."

What's the point in making it public that you have no confidence in him, but not sacking him?

Liverpool have become more Newcastle like in the farce stakes than fecking Newcastle.
  39. Jan 6, 2011

Sam.G Banned

We like working with a sense of intrigue here at LFC.
  40. Jan 6, 2011

An Irish Red Full Member

I would imagine that the intent is to make him jump without actually having to push him, and in the process saving them a substantial compensation pay out.

Unfortunately for them there is absolutely no chance that he will walk away of his own accord, nor should he.