Russia 2018

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Raoul, May 18, 2017.

1. May 19, 2017

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Russia.

Have a feeling the referees might have a few bad games when they play.
  2. May 19, 2017

Ian Reus Full Member

I reckon this could be one of the worst supported world cups with plenty of empty seats about most of the stadiums.
  3. May 19, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Yep, i think the same. I have friends that save money and never miss this kind of events but for the Russia WC it appears no one wants to go there. There's usually talks about WC travelling (regardless of Portugal qualifying) but not this time. Well we can always count on @Mockney to go there.
  4. May 19, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Nah it'd be too obvious these days. But they should do well with a home advantage.
  5. May 19, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Nah.

The Russians will be out to impress. It will be more like Sochi. Or Beijing Olympics. The bad sides will be left out of public view.
  6. May 19, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    They are simply too shite to be helped along to a world cup.

Last 16 will be a decent result for them.
  7. May 19, 2017

devil in me Full Member

Italy.
  8. May 19, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Russia are not winning the world cup. Theyre an awful awful team.

I know it doesnt say much but they have the lowest FIFA ranking in their history.
  9. May 19, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Aye I was just wondering last night about them. I checked their team out and to say they're poor would be an understatement.
    I can, however, see a lot of trouble if they manage to feck up and go out during the group stage.

This is what happened after their World Cup exit during 2002. Pardon the horrible music.

10. May 19, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

I don't think we'll see empty seats, I imagine if push comes to shove they'll start giving away tickets.
  11. May 19, 2017

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

We will see empty seats once people start running for their lives that's for sure.
  12. May 19, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

Italy
  13. May 19, 2017

Robertd0803 Full Member

I agree, I can imagine a lot of European people that would go/try go if it was someone like France/Germany/Holland etc. will avoid going to Russia somehow. Ive no idea what the non European view of Russia from a fans point of view is so cant speculate on that.
  14. May 19, 2017

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Nope. Skipping it too. Was never massively keen, but the trouble in Marseille made our minds up. I'm sure it'll probably be fine, but it's not worth the worry, or the excessive travel.
  15. May 19, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Damm not even the usual Mockney report. The Brazil WC one was great. Understandable reasoning though.
  16. May 19, 2017

beckbeck Banned

I remember when people said that if Brazil lost, they would riot, so Fifa helped them. That was an incredibly racist view and it was popular in redcafe..
  17. May 19, 2017

MullerUtd Banned

My ex-girlfriend is Russian and considering what she has done to me, I hope Russia gets humiliated in the worst possible way. Can't decide between them being knocked out in the group stage or meeting a team like Germany in the Round of 16 and losing by 0-8. Anyway regardless, I don't think this would be the worst supported World Cups as some posters have pointed out. I've seen something like this always popping up before previous World Cups as well but a World Cup is the most prestigious and glamorous sporting event and when the date kicks off, all the negative hype will just be forgotten and it would be like a great party atmosphere. I'm actually starting to save up for this trip from next month onwards, exactly a year. Reckon I would be spending quite a bit as I will be there for a month, Moscow is very expensive.
  18. May 19, 2017

Raoul Admin

What was racist about it ?
  19. May 19, 2017

RoyH1 Full Member

On just paper footballing terms, I can imagine a France-Argentina final (assuming Sampaoli takes over Argentina) with Italy and Germany hovering. And at least one surprise "eastern" European team to make the semis.

Regarding hooliganism, I think a lot will depend on the existing political climate. If Putin feels that the West is starting to relax the sanctions on Russia and the Syria conflict starts clearing up, I can see him massively clamping down and locking up Russia's meanest in order to maintain order. He'll want no trouble and has more power domestically than any Western leader. And many of the hardcore Russians in France 16 were military or police, so they'll be under orders anyway.

If however he's inclined to stir up trouble, I can see him shrugging his shoulders with a "we're doing all we can but foreign elements are provoking innocent Russians and they're defending themselves". Fans from countries like England, Poland or the US would have a massive target on their backs. And don't get me started on people of African descent.

Having said that, almost every WC has had horror stories about crime, violence, mayhem, (South Africa, Brazil, Mexico) and for the most part things turn out fine. People are at their best behaviour and treat foreign fans very well. I'm expecting that 95% of Russians will be like that.
  20. May 19, 2017

Ian Reus Full Member

You reckon we'll see swathes of Russian soldiers in the stands too?
    Just like when the eastern German teams played in europe back when it was possible.
  21. May 19, 2017

beckbeck Banned

That brazilian people would riot over football, when they have much more serious issues to worry about.

I don't see people saying "French would riot if they lost the EuroCup, UEFA will ref in their favor"
  22. May 19, 2017

Raoul Admin

That's more so national stereotyping.
  23. May 19, 2017

Skills Snitch

Spain I think will win this. Isco and Thiago seem to have matured at the right time. Ramos, Pique and Busquets are still at their peaks. Silva and Iniesta probably have just enough for one last great tournament too.
  24. May 19, 2017

Canucantona20 New Member

France vs Brazil would be an epic final
  25. May 19, 2017

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Germany won't do it again. Spain are excellent in every position. De Gea, Carvajal, Ramos, Pique, Alba, Busquets, Thiago, Isco, Iniesta, David Silva/Pedro and Morata/Costa. It's a scary team, they're not as good as 08-12 but they're more than good enough, they're the best in the world for me and I actually can see Lopetegui doing well since the job suits him perfectly. Them and Brazil have to be considered the favourites.

Argentina are a question mark but Sampaoli will surely improve them massively. Italy are Italy. France aren't ready yet imo. All the others have 0 chance of winning it.
  26. May 19, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member

The hooliganism will be more entertaining than international football
  27. May 19, 2017

Ian Reus Full Member

Russia surely must be favourites for that after their performances in France last year.
  28. May 19, 2017

Bole Top Full Member

imagine Portugal - Argentina final and caf afterwards :eek:

but yeah, one of France/Spain/Germany is most likely to win it.
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  29. May 20, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member

Qatar will be worse.

Cant even have a beer :p
  30. May 20, 2017

Hammerfell Full Member

Whichever country has the fewest gays in its squad.
  31. May 20, 2017

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    I'm South African and there were unfounded worries about the South African tournament, as there were about Euro 2012 etc.

The difference between that and fears about Russia is that Russia has MPs openly congratulating thugs on their behaviour and has laws clearly, and brutally, discriminating against parts of its population.
  32. May 20, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

It will be Argentina - Portugal in the final. Ronaldo will score a hat trick in a 3-0 win. After Messi will address the world to concede that GOAT title once and for all.
  33. May 20, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

You won't see empty seats if there are any. They'll be selling out the ones in view first anyway and I expect 60%will be corporate houndouts.
  34. May 20, 2017

leontas Full Member

In order of likelihood:

- France
    - Brazil
    - Argentina (if they get Sampaoli)
  35. May 20, 2017

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

Can't rule out the Germans but France look to be getting a great squad together and doing well.
    But it would be good if an unexpected team goes far or plays well, like Chile or Costa Rica did last time. Maybe Belgium to be the team to watch this time.
    As for the South Americans I would go for Argentina to go furthest.
    England hopefully and with a bit of luck could go far, well a lot of luck. But with Rooney out the picture and the likes of Alli and Kane getting goals you never know.

I just don't want any of Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Spain or France to win.
  36. May 30, 2017

Raoul Admin

African fans should be in for a hell of a time next year.....