Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by FC Ronaldo, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Sep 21, 2016

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

So reckon the Telegraph...

Would be a tricky job but I think there are at least 3 worse teams in the league than them so survival should be achievable in the short term.
  2. Sep 22, 2016

stu_1992 Full Member

Would be very interested to see how that would go. Big challenge, but certainly not an impossible job. That club have been falling the wrong way for a while now, so it would be a great chance for him to make an impression. Still I think it's too soon to be talking about axing Guidolin.
  3. Sep 22, 2016

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    He should reject the position and go to a League 2 club to prove himself. Or something.
  4. Sep 22, 2016

dwd Saturday Night Spies

It will go the same way as Ole's stint at Cardiff if he takes it. He needs to though. Sink or swim.
  5. Sep 22, 2016

Precaution Full Member

Guidolin to me seems abit rubbish in his Man Management skills, poor english certainly doesn't help but he strikes me as abit of a hardass which for a club like Swansea doesn't exactly work well.
  6. Sep 22, 2016

donkeyfish Full Member

I reckon he should take this one if true. Don´t think there´ll be offers flying around from much better teams.

Personally I hope he gets a PL job soon. Will be interesting to see how he fares.
  7. Sep 22, 2016

izec Full Member

Take it and go fron there. He cant be any worse than Moyes at this point.
  8. Sep 22, 2016

Hojoon Full Member

I think he was linked with them before Guidolin got the job, so there could be legs in this.
  9. Sep 22, 2016

marukomu The Gatekeeper

Dear Ryan. Please buy Rooney.
  10. Sep 22, 2016

CM10 Full Member

I don't think Guidolin has been terrible but it does seem like only a matter of time before he gets the boot. You have to question Giggs' ambitions as a manager if he's offered a reasonable Premier League job and turns it down.
  11. Sep 22, 2016

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I think it's a bit much to think about firing your manager after 5 games and a loss against an in-form City side in the cup. They're only 3 points behind the 8th place and we're 7th. You also have to remember that they did little business this summer apart from selling so the board didn't exactly help him improve compared to their competition.

They've already played Chelsea and Leicester and their next three games are City, Arsenal and Liverpool so things won't pick up right away whatever they do. Unless there's an unworkable problem between him and the board then they shouldn't fire him.
  12. Sep 22, 2016

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Don't think this is the right fit for all parties.
  13. Sep 22, 2016

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Stoke are going to fire Hughes anytime soon. Stoke would be a better place to go to because of the talent in their squad.
  14. Sep 22, 2016

lem8sh Banned

He'd get a game for Swansea, they are that bad.
  15. Sep 22, 2016

bleedred Full Member

Welcome to Modern day football !
  16. Sep 22, 2016

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Hardman management doesn't work in this day and age.
  17. Sep 22, 2016

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

Swansea are like Southampton & Watford, in that they expect the managers to do better than they deserve. All three have overachieved in recent years, but instead of getting behind their managers decide to sack them instead. I thought Guidolin would be poor & wouldn't last long, but he has surprised me a bit, & at least speaks some English unlike the Watford manager.

I expect if they sack the manager & appoint Giggs they would likely go down, whether their players are the worst three in the league or not. Why doesn't Giggs take over a lower league side & gain experience like other people. The other person mentioned to take over is the so called tactical genius Chris Coleman. Getting an International side overachieving for a few matches is one thing, doing well in the league is another.
  18. Sep 22, 2016

Rory 7 Full Member

I hope this happens. And I hope he does well.
  19. Sep 22, 2016

Hammerfell Full Member

Have I fallen into a time warp?
  20. Sep 22, 2016

Stack Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

How many managers have Southampton sacked in the last 3 seasons?
  21. Sep 22, 2016

Adebesi Full Member

That was my first thought too. But I like Swansea, I used to go and watch them away a lot when they were nearby with a mate who supports them, so Id like to see him do well there. The bottom line is he needs to start somewhere.
  22. Sep 22, 2016

Woodzy Full Member

Should go for it. He will get very few shots at the PL without any managerial experience, and there are worse clubs that Swansea.
  23. Sep 22, 2016

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Would be an alright move for him. Needs to start getting experience as a manager if he wants to be here in the future.
  24. Sep 22, 2016

m1y2 Banned

could end badly but Id like to see what he can do, if he saves them from relegation he might quickly gain some reputation, if he starts in lower leagues he will face also big competition, IMO it's easir to save team in the league than win in one of the lower which is what would gain him reputation quickly, attacking top half top 6 finishes could be good as well for hi learning curve but it might take longer. He can make a quick leap here.I dont think it would be a bad move for him...
  25. Sep 22, 2016

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    If Giggs ends up as Swansea manager I'll have lost a lot of faith with the board, he's done nothing to warrant it bar being Welsh.

As for Guidolin, it's too soon and he did get results last season. The big problem is that's he's quite a reactive, negative coach, whereas all the other managerial hires have at the least attempted to play technical passing football.

Doesn't help that he retired as a manager, then a couple years later came out of retirement to manage Swansea, baffling

Not that I don't agree with your points, but he was actually manager last season, the club just handled it really awkwardly and made out as if the club would be run by him and Curtis.
  26. Sep 22, 2016

Hammerfell Full Member

Ah, the Houllier/Evans approach.
  27. Sep 22, 2016

Mrs Smoker Full Member Scouse Lover

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Good, Swansea are only Tier 4 of terrible clubs of Britain.
  28. Sep 22, 2016

Bwuk Full Member

He'd be smart to try and hold it off a few weeks until there next few fixtures are done.
  29. Sep 22, 2016

acnumber9 Full Member

Why did you have faith in them anyway? They gave the job to Roberto Martinez many years ago who had less coaching experience than Giggs. Or Gary Monk if we want to think closer.
  30. Sep 22, 2016

Lurpak99 Buttered up

But isn't that usually how things are in Swansea? Guidolin is the first Swansea manager for years with a long CV, the longest before that was Laudrup who had been a manager for 10 years, otherwise Swansea always hire managers with little or no experience.
  31. Sep 22, 2016

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    The board has done an amazing job, even with the last season it doesn't erase the fact we climbed from almost being relegated to the conference, to a consistent premier league team with limited funds.

With Martinez and Monk, they both played for the club (in Monks case a genuine Swansea legend). Whereas then Martinez took over when we were in League 1 so attracting a decent manager without gambling is impossible. Monk got the job at Swansea after playing basically his career there. And it still didn't work out and tbh a lot of supporters didn't expect it to.
  32. Sep 22, 2016

prath92 Full Member

Giggs has more experience than, Garry Monk, who hadn't managed at all. He had been a player for you but that's all his qualification.

Giggs was asst at United under two managers and did manage 4 games with 2 wins, a loss and a draw for United.
  33. Sep 22, 2016

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

[​IMG]
  34. Sep 22, 2016

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I know but he took charge in late January when the club was in a very bad place. 40% win rate is not bad with a team that you took over in relegation danger.
  35. Sep 22, 2016

pascell Full Member

Sky sports are saying Swansea don't want to change manager so early in the season. Nobody else think this could be Giggs using his buddies in the media to put his name out there?
  36. Sep 22, 2016

Bugshot Banned

Great opportunity for the man. Wouldn't damage his reputation if he fails, because he doesn't have any.
  37. Sep 22, 2016

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    4 games? Why isn't he managing Barcelona.

Gary Monk didn't get given the manager role, he was made an interim but results improved, he was a cheap gamble , Giggs won't be, there's also few positives to hiring him when they could get an up and coming manager, who has actually managed before.

It's not by choice, the club was almost bankrupt. Jackett was experienced, Brendan Rodgers had managed a couple teams before Swansea, as had Laudrup.

Martinez lucked into the role as he was resigned just after or before Jackett went
  38. Sep 22, 2016

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

He's not really interested in management, but he's got to make out that he is just in case José gets Judased & there's a vacancy at United.
  39. Sep 22, 2016

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Hopefully he takes Rooney on loan.
  40. Sep 22, 2016

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    Oh sorry I misunderstood you, yeah the results were good even if the football wasn't great. Truthfully that's enough for me to support him, all I want is to see him trying to be more positive on the pitch. The board screwed him over with transfers too so it's far from easy for him.