Ryan Mason's head injury | has had to retire

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Snow, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2018

The Firestarter Full Member

Yeah the lad got extremely lucky there. As someone mentioned, that hit would be a foul in the NFL as well.
  2. Feb 13, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Really sad to here. Hopefully he can have a successful career elsewhere in football.
  3. Feb 13, 2018

Baxter Full Member

No surprise Cahill has done serious damage like this. Accidental, but there’s not a more clumsy, reckless player in the league.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Feb 13, 2018

Xcited Full Member

Gutting. Just glad that he seems on track to make a full recovery.

Like many others have suggested, would be nice if he is able to continue being involved in the football world of some capacity.
  5. Feb 13, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Still can't believe he didn't see red TBH.
  6. Feb 13, 2018

Xcited Full Member

Ridiculous. I actually forgot he never saw red.
  7. Feb 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

Gutted for him but happy that he's alive and well and can enjoy his child and family.
  8. Feb 13, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

There have been medical studies that show scrum caps don't do anything to stop concussions.
  9. Feb 13, 2018

FlapR New Member

Terrible, but at least he's alive. Good luck to him whatever he does next. Would be good to see him in coaching if that's something that interests him.
  10. Feb 13, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He was part of the early home-grown players coming through under Poch and always gave his best for us. All the best Ryan.
  11. Feb 13, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Really nice lad from what I have seen, really sad to hear and just shows how close a player is to his last game.
  12. Feb 13, 2018

montpelier Full Member

Earlier question ---> I reckon it might be that the medical perspective just evolves over time. In that, they will set off with the treatment being to enable a full recovery - rather than on a ''you know you will never play again'' basis. Just how it is. And to promote the best outcome, too.

Eventually it reaches a time for an actual rather than a theoretical decision & at that stage who really wants to support a return to competitive professional sport after an injury like that.

And apart from that, it might just not have healed as well as everyone had hoped & he'd be mad to do it.
  13. Feb 13, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Ban heading. It's shit, and boring anyway.
  14. Feb 13, 2018

caid Full Member

At least one foot on the ground at all times?
  15. Feb 13, 2018

Yeah, that's a great compromise actually. I think that's a great idea.
  16. Feb 13, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Are you serious or trolling?
  17. Feb 13, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Horrible to hear that. So sad for Ryan. A real shame for him to have to put an end to his career after a long rehabilitation. The stuff about Petr Cech helping him and his family was really great to hear about. Gutting it has not worked out for him.

The incident was gut-wrenching to watch. The way everyone reacted so instantly including the referee's stoppage, you rarely see such an immediate response to a head clash. Normally there's a delay to see if the player stays down. The sound of the clash must have been enough to spur such a reaction, which is horrible to imagine.

It was a bit wild from Cahill, but it could have a serious effect on him. Knowing you've ended someones career must be some weight to have on your shoulders.
  18. Feb 13, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Thank God he escaped the injury without a permanent disability. Didn't know it was that bad. Sad that his career was cut short but it could have been so much worse. Wish him the best of luck in the future.
  19. Feb 13, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

This is very sad indeed. I remember watching that incident and thought it was a crazy challenge on Mason. It was a moment of madness for Cahill to go in when it's fairly clear it was going to be late. Cahill was always going to come out on the better end with him going in with the front of his head.
  20. Feb 13, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

Absolute class from Cech! Can't help but admire someone for being willing to do that.
  21. Feb 13, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

I agree. Career ending injuries can happen in a split second. Professional athletes need to make as much money as quickly as possible because the physical conditions of athletes these days can end someone else's career more than ever.
  22. Feb 13, 2018

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Such a shame as i thought he was a decent player but looking on the bright side at least he can lead a normal life because it could have been a lot lot worse.
  23. Feb 13, 2018

I'm being totally serious. Heading will be phased out of football, or at least altered very soon, people need to get used to this.

Don't want this thread to turn into a squabble with oppo fans when it's about Ryan Mason and the poor lad's career ending because of this, so fair play if anyone disagrees, lets just agree to disagree.
  24. Feb 13, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah I agree its another thread altogether, but I don't agree with you at all I am afraid.
  25. Feb 13, 2018

George Owen LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Man feel sad for the lad. I hope he have a happy life outside football.
  26. Feb 13, 2018

The No.10! Full Member

Such a pity. Such a pity.
    A career stopped at the age of 26.
  27. Feb 13, 2018

RexHamilton Gumshoe for hire

Awful, awful news for the lad.

It brings back how I felt at the time about this, and also the Mane high boot (Which was obviously a lot, lot less serious) and how we look at challenges in the air differently from those on the deck.

If you mis-time a tackle and catch someone halfway up the shin they show it frame by frame and discuss how it's a definite red and how it could be a career ending injury or a leg breaker.

If the ball is in the air and you mis time it and head-butt someone or kick someone in the head we hear, "ah it was an honest effort to play the ball" or " the ball was there to be won" or even "he had every right to go for that", as if you have no right to put in a sliding tackle.

Players rarely go into a tackle to hurt an opponent, but if you go in with excessive force whether it's a sliding tackle, a header or a high boot, and you put an opponent in danger like that, then it's a definite red card.

Cahill, I'm sure, had no intention of hurting Mason. But he should have seen red, for what turned out to be, an actual career-ender.
  28. Feb 13, 2018

DancingPanda New Member

So sad. I wish him the best.

And please, don't blame Cahill for this. He unintentionally ended someone's career. This must feel awful for him, too. Even though it was a reckless challenge.
  29. Feb 13, 2018

YouOnlyLiveTwice Full Member

Not that it's important in the grand scheme of things, but i wonder if a club have insurance for these things? I mean, 13 million is a pretty big investment for some clubs, even in this football climate.
  30. Feb 13, 2018

caid Full Member

Bit of both with me, its worth considering tbh.
  31. Feb 13, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Yep, they absolutely have insurance for this. I used to work for the firm who deals with AFC Bournemouth's policies. They'd have to add and remove players (even trialists) all the time.
  32. Feb 13, 2018

Acquire Me Full Member

Thats brilliant. Respect to Cech.

Sad news today, but he is alive and can move on with other great things.
  33. Feb 13, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Just saw this, brilliant, Cech's a great man.

As for Ryan, shitty news, sorry to hear that but health goes above all, hope he can somehow stick to footy, perhaps as a coach or something. All the best either way.
  34. Feb 13, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Real shame to hear this, very hard luck on the guy. Hopefully he finds another career and makes a go of it. All the best to him for the future.
  35. Feb 13, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    Tragic for Mason.

I can only hope he has some kind of professional insurance that will pay out some money for the next few years to compensate for loss of earnings.
  36. Feb 13, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

It's a real shame for the lad. Such a terrible injury as well.
  37. Feb 14, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
  38. Feb 14, 2018

yumtum DUX' bumchum

Scary to think that we've been on the end of two similar challenges, De Gea against west Ham and Mctominay v Huddersfield.

There really should be some sort of punishment for these needlessly reckless challenges.
  39. Feb 14, 2018

The Outsider Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
  40. Feb 14, 2018

Oscie Full Member

Think compulsive head gear like the short Cech wears is going to be introduced for every player pretty damn fast. All the focus about concussions and brain trauma through heading a ball but surely the bone crunching smacks in the head most footballers get very often during the season when challenging for aerial balls are far more likely to be contributory factors.

I think the game should get as far ahead of the curve as it can to avoid lawsuits in later years as is the case with the NFL. When already you have a select few players who wear protective head gear to avoid head injury, it can't really be claimed in later lawsuits that the extend of head injuries in sport was an unknown issue in 2018.