Sam Allardyce Everton Manager | Sacked | Reports: Marco Silva to replace him

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Nov 30, 2017.

1. May 16, 2018

Utdstar01 Full Member

He did. Its not looking great on them. They looked like relegation fodder before he came in. Should've left the bastards to get relegated.
  2. May 16, 2018

Barca84 Full Member

Supports:
    Doesn't support Barca
    I find it difficult to sympathise with the man at all. He's a right ducker and diver and an arrogant bully and his football is neanderthal. All that "Big Sam" bollocks is just that.
  3. May 16, 2018

FootyGirl88 Full Member

The way he left CP in the lurch I'm having a hard time sympathizing with him..
  4. May 16, 2018

FireballXL5 New Member

The FA will probably re-appoint him as England manager when Southgate fails in a few weeks.
  5. May 16, 2018

Drifter American

What next for this medicore manager.
  6. May 16, 2018

Dutsey New Member

Why all the hate for Big Sam - if he was such a mediocre manager why has he never been relegated? All the teams he has managed struggled after they sack him. Everton had Martinez who played good football then got sacked.

Everton are where they should be in the league but surely any manager needs to be given more than Six months.

Hate Everton football club with a passion. A couple of good years in the 80s does not make them a big club.
  7. May 16, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Sideways step. Silva might excite the fans a bit more, but he'll be far less organised meaning they're gonna ship goals for fun and still be floating around 8-10th place.
  8. May 16, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

I hope they get relegated next season. The fans seem very spoilt. Would probably have been relegated if Allardyce didn’t take over.
  9. May 16, 2018

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

Well, this mediocre manager will be in much demand around Christmas time, when the fans & owners see relegation starring them in their faces. If Everton start as badly as last season they will also be in the queue for an Allardyce or Pullis type to keep them up.
  10. May 16, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Here in Portugal we still don't get what's this all Marco Silva love from the UK press. In here he was a promising manager who did not step up at Sporting and eventually got exiled to Greece, which is a common working place for managers who eventually fail at top level, and the Hull job was a failure nonetheless.

Watford did a good start, but than the team plunged in poor results, poor defending and he showed little loyalty to the club with all this Everton mess.

My theory is that Everton and Marco Silva had already signed a pre-contract which is why he's still getting appointed.

We have better managers than Silva on our league, can't understand where did he get so much credit.
  11. May 16, 2018

nore1975 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    BFS picking up these large payoffs is great for his bank balance. However supporters will grow increasingly sceptical about him as a man.
  12. May 16, 2018

pseudo_canadian Full Member

A lot of Everton fans I've read online are acting like his sacking was an end to some nightmare. Like, really? They were in free-fall before he came in, and well, did what Big Sam always does - grind out results while 4 or 5 other shit clubs fall apart in the second half of the season. Given how they started out, it's amazing that Sam had them finish 8th.

I don't disagree with the sacking, but it seems to me that a fair amount of Everton fans need to show some respect to the big man for plugging the holes in their sinking ship.
  13. May 16, 2018

FootyGirl88 Full Member

I like Marco Silva, im surprised people don't rate him. I think he's been a victim of circumstances so he's been a bit unfortunate with what happened at Hull and Watford.
  14. May 16, 2018

The Firestarter Full Member

Eurovision.
  15. May 16, 2018

Dutsey New Member

How do you know that? He finished 8th not bad considering he was only in charge 6 or 7 months.

Realistically will Everton finish in the top 6 - I very much doubt it - you will have to spend some serious wedge and hope many sides will regress - 7th is the highest Everton will finish.

You had Martinez, Koeman at the helm as well so I am not sure what identity there fans are after?
  16. May 16, 2018

poleglass red Full Member

He's unproven in the UK as well. What he's done at both clubs he has been at is have them start well and play attractive football. Hull got relegated, so that's hardly a big notch on his resume although he can say he nearly saved them. Watford started well, then once the speculation started about him leaving the tide turned. It's a big risk for Everton, the thing is, he had a cushy job at Watford but he got his head turned. If he has one good season at Everton you'd imagine the same thing will happen again.Risky but the promise of attractive football after big Sam probably blinkers the fans and club board a bit. Big test for Marco, it's easy to play well for a few games, different over a whole season. The other thing is expectancy, Hull and Watford fans aren't expectant. Everton fans are, even though they haven't done anything in years. Be interesting to watch.
  17. May 16, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Good decision. Sam isn't going to bring them any farther than this. You hire him to avoid relegation then sack him.
  18. May 16, 2018

fellaini's barber Full Member

Heard he's getting like a €6m payoff or something? I don't feel bad for him at all
  19. May 16, 2018

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    They could give him 6 years and his football would still be pretty pants. To match going fans, the style of football is important. And to most fans tbh
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  20. May 16, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

I love the way fans that don't support a club that a manager gets sacked from, come out all high and mighty saying he "done a good job" etc. When in contrast when you read the fan forums of the clubs in question, you will generally see that the fans never wanted said manager or thought they done a terrible job.
  21. May 16, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

The prodigal son is out of job. He should return to Everton
  22. May 16, 2018

Chipper Full Member

My impression of Silva is good, but I've been taking a look at a few stats and I've become a little more cautious.

Paul Clement and Marco Silva took over their respective clubs after 20 matches with Swansea on 15, Hull on 13 in 16/17. Swansea finished on 41 and survived, Hull went down with 34. A 2 point gap became 7. Now I would say that Swansea had a stronger squad but I'd have a hard time saying that Silva did the better job of the 2.

Swansea again from this season and Carvalhal took over on 13 points from 20, exactly the same as Silva did at Hull. Ended up on 33 instead of Silva's 34. A similar job.

At Watford:
    Mazzari = 40 points from 38 = 1.05 points per game
    Silva = 26 from 24, 1.08
    Gracia = 15 from 14, 1.07

I don't think Everton would be interested in any of Clement, Carvalhal, Mazzari or Gracia. Silva hasn't definitively proved that he's better than any of them are in English football at least so it's more risky than I possibly first thought.

We can say he's better than Mike Phelan though!
  23. May 16, 2018

BusbyMalone Full Member

It's not so much about where they are in the league (at least what i've read about the situation), but more to do with him as a person, his personality, and the style of football and attitude he has going into most of the games.
  24. May 16, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

I'd find it hard to criticise anyone for not wanting Sam Allardyce as their manager.
  25. May 16, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Exactly. Some proper holier than thou posts in here.
  26. May 16, 2018

Theonas Full Member Scout

They, like a lot of our own fans, simply underestimate how soul crushing functional football can be over a long period of time. When desperate because the club is performing lower than expectations result wise, fans will tell you they will take any kind of football as long as it's justified by results. Once results settle though, the desperation goes away and the reality of not even being able to look forward to the next game becomes stark. It is what the likes of Allardyce never have to face when managing clubs whose ego is not too inflated but is a major problem once he makes the step up.
  27. May 16, 2018

paulscholes18 Full Member

Everton wanted Silva before going for Big Sam, guess it’s style over substance
  28. May 16, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Must be but big Sam did a fine job in getting 8th highest points in the league with a slower squad of players. I really like Silva as a coach but I do feel bad for Sam.
  29. May 16, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

As opposed to an old pool of predictable mediocrity?
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  30. May 16, 2018

simplyared Full Member

That must have been hard to take unless he was expecting it. Looks like Everton have just used him tbh to get themselves out of the shit. The man is unfortunately branded as a quick fix, get-us-out-of-trouble, short term manager. Would have liked to have seen what he could have done with the England team. Prefer him to Southgate any day of the week.
  31. May 16, 2018

The Bloody-Nine Full Member

This situation reminds me a little of when we binned LvG after winning the FA Cup. Opposition fans felt it was harsh and had sympathy for him. They didn't have to sit through his mind numbing shit on a weekly basis.
  32. May 16, 2018

FootyGirl88 Full Member

Changes all around..

Who is this chap anyway?
  33. May 16, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

He was PSV's Sporting Director.
  34. May 16, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Looking at the Everton squad, I’m not sure where Everton fans are going to get this Everton way from.

Pickford - great

Coleman - coming back from injury

Jagielka - Awful

Keane - Was terrible under all three managers

Baines - Past it

Schneiderlin - has been poor for a few years now.

Gueye - Decent

Rooney - don’t need to say anything. Might stay now Sam has gone...

Bolasie - Had a serious injury and is terrible now.

Niasse - He can be really awful at times.

Klaasen - Waste of money

Siguurdson - overpriced and three managers didn’t know how to use him.

Then you have legends like Funes Mori and Ashley William at the club. Who are both terrible defenders. So they gonna have to spend big on defenders especially if Silva is their manager.

They made us look astute in the transfer window with their terrible spending. The only two decent signings they made are ironically the ones that big Sam made. Walcott and Tosun will score goals for them.
  35. May 16, 2018

Runner Full Member

Best manager in the league. Big Sam is Best Sam.
  36. May 16, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Their signings were terrible; Sigurdsson, Klassen, Keane and Sandro were horrible altogether. Though I don't personally rate Pickford highly, he proved a good acquisition. They need a big overhaul.
  37. May 16, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Funny, from what I saw of Silva prior to the Watford collapse, he is very organized. In fact, his football is not as expansive as one may think, it is based on pragmatic principles.

He needs signings to push for 7th/Europa next season and he was smart in buying players for Hull. We talk of competition for Top 4, but 7th is no gimme nowadays either, atleast 3-4 teams vying for the spot. With the current squad as it is, its' likely Everton will regress next season regardless of manager and finish 10th-15th.
  38. May 16, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Organised? They could have conceded 10 to City at home. If that was Moyes or Big Sam they would have been laughed at.

Were very lucky Arsenal were toothless. Conceded 3 to a Everton team that could barely score.
  39. May 16, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Was talking about Hull. I didn't see much of his Watford tenure, admittedly.
  40. May 17, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    It's a huge risk, imho. I could name several portuguese managers who have much more experience, knowledge and results than both Marco Silva and Carvalhal.

Carvalhal here in Portugal was not even good enough to manage a team which goal was to qualify to Europa League like Braga, where he had a very good squad at his disposal and had to fight for the Europa League spot until the last games of the season. He even placed Diego Costa at the midfield :D

I could appoint several names who would for sure do a better job than Marco Silva, starting with Luís Castro from Chaves, who made a terrible season start but ended up in 6th and his teams play excellent football. And bare in mind that Chaves had a very poor squad this season, which makes the feature even more surprising.
    If you prefer a counter-attacking type of manager, Daniel Ramos is excellent at assembling this kind of football. His teams are always hard to beat