Sanchez - What's his position?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by VP89, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Jan 29, 2018

meamth Full Member

This is nice, but probably Lingard on the right side of the field for Sanchez to go inside.
  2. Jan 29, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    As a side note:
    I think we should go for an energetic b2b midfielder next season who can let Pogba have more freedom. Herrera is doing a poor season, he was supposed to be that miedfielder that would let Pogba free to roam, but he's not doing well covering the midfield this season, unfortunatelly. Mourinho's planning went downhill with this, I guess.
    His best position is clearly being the most advanced miedfielder, he has the traits for it and his discipline without the ball is not his best quality whatsoever.

But I agree with you reasioning aswell. While we can't afford the luxury of hiring another quality energetic midfielder, we'll have to play him a bit out of his depth. I think Mata is our best option for #10 right now. Yes, he lacks some physical qualities and his determination undermines his performances from times to times, but he is clearly our player with more creative capacity when passing.

At the other hand, Lingard is a perfect fit if we want to play a fast pace game with a player in the hole.

Even inside our limitations, we have good options. Our main problem is the lack of depth on the squad, which won't be solved anytime soon, unless Mourinho has enough balls to hire talents who haven't played at top clubs of their countries yet. Otherwise we will continue to pay fortunes on transfers.
  3. Jan 29, 2018

Sing you a song Full Member

I'm sure Lukaka will be the focal point at the centre of the attack , Martial will start on the left with Sanchez on the right but both will be given license to roam and switch sides giving the opposition defence nightmares both are clever and two footed enough to operate in this way and with Rashford and hopefully Zlatan as back up we haven't looked as strong as this upfront since the Cole ,Yorke ,Sheringham and solskjaer days
  4. Jan 29, 2018

ThatsGreat New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Why is everyone saying that they want him at RW with license to move infield? How is that a natural movement. Sanchez is a right footed player, his movement would be towards the byline. And if he plays at the right it'll be closer to the second striker position rather than RW.
    ------------------------Lukaku
    -----------------------------------Sanchez
    --Martial

Ideally though, if you recognize Sanchez as your best player then he goes to his favorite position at the left and Martial makes do with whatever position is remaining.
  5. Jan 29, 2018

Dolf Full Member

Would be munch smarter to put a young talent at his favorite position so he can get some experience and consistency.
    Sanchez has played on the right before and can play pretty munch every attacking position so it’s alot easier for him.
  6. Jan 29, 2018

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

With Lingard as #8 at rightcenter, it would make good sense.
  7. Jan 30, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

I asked this question in the transfer thread and this is the answer I got:

Needless to say, my excitement level went through the roof. A complete attacker who can play in any forward position!!!
  8. Jan 30, 2018

Norris Full Member

Think we need a back three to get the best out of Sanchez and Martial together.

DDG
    Valencia - Lindeloff - Smalling - Jones - Shaw/Young
    Pogba - Matic
    Sanchez
    Lukaku - Martial​
  9. Jan 30, 2018

DCP New Member

I don't think we currently can drop Lingard from our best side, yes he blows hot and cold but he has been delivering when it most matters.

I think we will play as we have been doing, with some kind of hybrid 433.

-----------Matic-----------
    ------Lingard--Pogba-----
    Sanchez---------Martial
    ---------Lukaku---------

With that front 5 pretty interchangeable. Sanchez will be given the role that Mata has been playing that gives him the freedom to roam the pitch whilst in attack.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2018
  10. Jan 30, 2018

Norris Full Member

I said this in another thread, but I really don't think it's Jose's instructions on the right winger having a tendency to drift in. It's more a case of player preference. Rashford for example hugs the touchline when he's played right.

Sanchez is the sort of player who thrives on freedom. He'll pop up all over the pitch I reckon. That is probably more devastating when he starts central and has room to move into space either side. A little similar to how Jose used Hazard at Chelsea. That's why I suggested a back 5. But you are right, on current form Lingod really cannot be dropped. If that's the case, I'd like to see him out wide and Sanchez start central. Lingard anyways always looks to occupy the space left behind by defenders and picks up good positions. Sanchez will have the liberty to find him in space, present opportunistic moments to Martial or play Lukaku in behind the centre backs. If he fancies it, he can go on a dribble as well, although the effect of which maybe in doubt when he's central. It really looks like a dream position for him. I'd hate to see Martial dropped to accommodate him or him playing on the right (Although, he's played there plenty of times).[/QUOTE]
  11. Jan 30, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Sanchez on the left, period! It's where he's been excelling in the last seasons. Martial will have to cope on the right if he wants to play.

And placing Alexis on the #10 position is a waste: he is not good on congestioned zones. He is much more dangerous cutting inside.
  12. Jan 30, 2018

Antonedwin Banned

I think Sanchez will play on the left while martial is center & lukaku on the right , but everyone can change position , lukaku will often goes to center when needed , he is good coming from the right & cut inside
    Martial is dangerous from center as well
  13. Jan 30, 2018

settembrini Full Member

If Martial is dropped/moved to the right to accommodate Sanchez then Mourinho has blundered and should have bought an actual right winger.

Thankfully I don't think that will happen. Martial will remain on the left where he has been having a brilliant season and Sanchez will be tried on the right and as a #10.
  14. Jan 30, 2018

E-mal New Member

ok
  15. Jan 30, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Absolutely. I think Alexis will love him, Messe will dovetail him and let him run the show.
  16. Jan 30, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

In the 10 please.
  17. Jan 30, 2018

Rickdog New Member

Supports:
    Chilean National team
    The reason why in Arsenal he was played mostly at the left in that limited team, was because the only forward among all their other players in those 3 years he spent in that team, capable of playing up front from that side of the pitch, was Alexis.

When he arrived and played for the first time at the premier league, Alexis started playing at the right, which was his natural position in the past, (also one of the reason why he always loves playing with number 7 at his back, as in most of South America, number 7 represents the RW position).

Truth is, he can play anywhere up front and wherever you put him, he'll manage to do damage to the opponent team, and very likely that he will not stay on one side the whole game as he usually will be roaming from one side to the other in order to create spaces and confussion among the opponents defenders.
  18. Jan 30, 2018

Roeindo New Member

Sanchez can be our false 9 when we set the team on Counter Attack tactics.

Actually Id like to see formation used against big team away..

Martial Alexis Rashford
    Pogba. Herera
    Matic
    Young. Valencia
    Jones Smalling
    Ddg
  19. Jan 30, 2018

Himannv Full Member

I reckon Sanchez will play through the middle as a no.10 with Martial on the left and Mata on the right. Lukaku up front of course.
  20. Jan 30, 2018

Merlin 1975-78 New Member

I totely agree with you & of cause, Sancez has got the ability too play anywere across that front-line or even just behind, Lukaku but give a choice I would like too , Sanchez on the right & Martial on the left & then have either, Lingaurd or Mata tucked in just behind, Lukaku.
  21. Jan 31, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Like you say, there are so many variables we can go in terms of formations and fitting players in that I'm not worried. Especially considering Martial's recent form.
  22. Jan 31, 2018

CentreForward Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil

10, Freedom
  23. Jan 31, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Someone listed out the stats of Sanchez playing RW or LW throughout his Barca & Arsenal career. He played approximately the same no. of games on either wing, scored about the same no. of goals, but his assist as RW was substantially higher. So you tell me he has got any problem playing there.
  24. Jan 31, 2018

svastian99 New Member

(StatmanDave Twitter)
    Alexis Sánchez's stats by position:

ST - 30 goals & 13 assist
    LW - 45 goals & 24 assist
    AM - 14 goals & 7 assist
    RW - 47 goals & 39 assist
  25. Jan 31, 2018

sherrinford Full Member

Is this supposed to illustrate what his best position is? Proof that he’s better from the right? Two statistics, one of which’s accuracy is highly questionable?

Ridiculous. Football is about more than that. Players can have a good game without a goal or assist, and a player scoring or assisting does not mean he has had a good game. Historically, Sanchez has performed better from the left or centre and you can’t tell that from some overly basic stats.
  26. Jan 31, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

You bring in a player to improve what you have, not destroy everything that is working and starting from scratch.

The left side has been sorted just fine. Pogba and Martial have built a real understanding from that side and Martial has claimed that slot. It would be wise to try and sort out the side that is still shaky. Sanchez ought to be tried on the right.

It's not like he's coming to a team that need its left side sorted. Why would we tinkle what is our attack strongest side instead of looking to strengthen our weakest side of attack which is the right. What does Sanchez playing on the left accomplish right now? Why should we restart from scratch on a side already working and firing strong.

Let's fix what need fixing for now, not hinder what's already working superbly.
  27. Jan 31, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

I want him to play on the right but it's only fair to point out that the majority of his RW matches came playing for Barcelona where it's he was obviously feeding and getting fed by some incredible players.
  28. Jan 31, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Historically where?

He's played most of his Barca and Udiness career on the right and performed. Arsenal is where he's played the majority of games on the left.

And we can't simply dismiss such a large sample and try cherry picking. Truth of the matter Sanchez be it statistically or even by eye test is just as good on the right(actually better on the right statistically) if people actually bother watching him instead of repeating random narratives heard somewhere on the Internet.
  29. Jan 31, 2018

Craig Ward Full Member

I'm excited by the options Sanchez brings. I'd expect a lot of positional interchange regardless of where payers start on the pitch.

As mentioned, sanchez can play anywhere.
    Martial can play LW/striker
    Lingard can play No.10/RW/LW
    Rashford can play striker/wide forward
    Mata can play No.10/RW
    Pogba can play No.10

My concern is, while some of these players can play in other positions, some are clearly better at a set position that others.

take Lingard, he has played wide and drifts in and out of games, when played centrally he is much better.
    take rashford, he is much better as he focal striker than out wide,
    take martial, much better from LW than striker.

I think Sanchez will help bring other players into the game with his experience, passing and movement.

On current form, I'd play Sanchez RW, Martial LW, Lingard as 10 and Lukaku striker. Mata and Rashford from the bench. With Pogba driving on to help

using martial/lingard RW while Sanchez goes LW could work, but our weakest point up top is RW and I personally think Sanchez would slot in there.

Rashford could do with a rest, learn from Sanchez on the training ground and come on for Lukaku towards the end of games. I don't think Rashford is good enough out wide, he has to be used as a striker getting in behind
  30. Jan 31, 2018

cyril C Full Member

First of all, if your statistics count over 100 games, then it does have some representation. Some claimed, including Sanchez himself, that he is "more comfortable" playing off the left. But then someone also quote Wenger saying that when Sanchez play on the left he is more predictable - i.e. doing the Robben thing. He played on the right mostly during Barca period BTW. My argument on his positioning, is which position can he contribute more for the team, not for himself. Statistics clearly support the argument that he can be effective on many position, but he can contribute more to the team on the right, which creates the least problem to us (may be not to Mata)
  31. Jan 31, 2018

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

He's probably going to be move around all four attacking positions in 4-2-3-1, till he settles in one. Everybody's just hoping it is not the most obvious one, leftwinger, cause that would spell the end of Martial.
  32. Jan 31, 2018

sherrinford Full Member

Historically. As in, over the course of his career he has performed optimally on the left or in the centre and whenever played on the right his qualities have been tempered. I am neither dismissing nor cherry picking any of his performances, I have merely considered how well he has played in the past in each role and drawn my own conclusion regarding his strongest position(s).

The Alexis Sanchez that folk are getting giddy over is the one who played predominantly from the left for Arsenal. That period of time saw him at his best, along with the season he earned himself a move to Barcelona playing off of Di Natalie for Udinese. At Barcelona and initially at Udinese, yes he could be described as having ‘performed’ deployed on the right, but most certainly to a lesser degree. Schweinsteiger was a promising right mid when he broke through, but the idea of playing him there wouldn’t have occurred to anyone once he had established himself as a top central midfielder. Similarly Gareth Bale wouldn’t be considered a left back/ left midfielder by anyone now. Sanchez is the same - he was a talented young player regarded as a right winger but, either because he progressed or because it simply wasn’t his true position, he found a higher level in his play that he just would not have reached in his initial default role. I think that is quite clear given how his performances essentially regressed at Barcelona having been elevated the season prior.

Playing Alexis down the right is not dissimilar to playing Martial or Rashford there. Or for that matter playing the likes of Hazard, Coutinho, Neymar, Ribery or Pires there. They could all technically be stationed on that side and would provide something, but they are all far more comfortable and effective operating on the other side of the field.
  33. Jan 31, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Statistically, for combined goals and assists, isn't his best season 2013/14 at Barca, playing mostly wide right?

I am not so sure that it will make the massive difference you imply. Martial and Rashford are different players on the right. Rashford is slightly better at it but both are massively less effective.

Alexis has had plenty of impact off the right. In terms of goal scoring he probably is best down the middle. Alexis' ability to pick passes from the right and belt them in off his good foot shouldn't be underestimated though. If we're getting the Alexis of Barca I'll be more than happy enough.
  34. Jan 31, 2018

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Great start
  35. Jan 31, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

I have a feeling that it'll take Jose a few more games until he realises that Sanchez should play on the right and Martial should play on the left.
  36. Jan 31, 2018

melatonin New Member

Welcome to Manchester!
  37. Jan 31, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

He played central in the second half with Martial on the left.
  38. Jan 31, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

It's like an experiment. Played Martial on the right and Alexis on the left in 1st half. He realised it didn't work for his team, so he shifted Alexis to central while Martial back to his original position. Later on in the next couple of games, I think he will finally try Alexis on the right, I won't be surprised that he will even try Sanchez as a striker and fullback first before Jose put him on the right.
  39. Jan 31, 2018

Zoo Full Member

In the middle off Lukaku. Why people want him on the flanks at his age tracking fullbacks is beyond me. Leave that to Martial and Lingard.
  40. Jan 31, 2018

settembrini Full Member

I feel bad for all those posters who were delighted by this signing because they thought he would fix our right wing problem.