View full 2017-18 profile

5.8 Average rating
23 Appearances
4 Yellow cards
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Fletcher got rinsed on here pretty much for the full length of his United career, from start to finish. Things change.... Things stay the same...
  2. Feb 4, 2018

Godfather Full Member

Thought he looked quite good.
  3. Feb 4, 2018

Litch Full Member

So you telling me with the benefit of hindsight he wouldn't have kept them knowing the talent they are now displaying. What I absolutely struggle with is (and it's just an opinion) we are crying for the ceiling to be raised regarding the quality of the team and I don't think this lad is it. I'd sooner see Gomes and Chong get their opportunities than a lad who game can be replicated by hundreds of players in British football.
  4. Feb 4, 2018

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

Agree, about Pogba
  5. Feb 4, 2018

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Supports:
    a wife, three kids and Eboue
    Yeah, he also brushed off those challenges from Billing and Kongolo. Lots of other youth players would shrink after receiving clatterings like that but not him.
  6. Feb 4, 2018

paulscholes18 Full Member

Very good disciplined performance, out of possession he kept inline with Matic, he was tidy in possession he’s definitely worth having as a squad player
  7. Feb 4, 2018

Ultimate Grib Full Member

Supports:
    LA Galaxy
    I’m having a real tough time now on whether to value your opinion or that of Jose Mourinho when deciding if we should write off McTominay. Decisions decisions :houllier:
  8. Feb 4, 2018

haram Full Member

Sanchez often floats inside. Losing the ball there sets up breaks quite easily for the other team. Huddersfield didnt have a single chance. I agree we dont really need it as we have enough firepower, but it will still work.
  9. Feb 4, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

Problem is, Pogba plays like McTominay and everyone will then be up in arms complaining about how we spent £90mill on a player who can pass it sideways and was a waste of money.

Would like to see McTominay in a 3 with Matic and Pogba. Think that could work well, and sure Mourinho would love to point to bringing a player through whenever he is criticised about not playing youth players.
  10. Feb 4, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I’d love to see that!
  11. Feb 4, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Big fan of McTominay.
  12. Feb 4, 2018

TRD New Member

Just a scenario:

Six years from now McTominay scores a last minute winner against a title rival.
    Jose: It was a great moment for the kid. The kid has been here since he was a kid. Every Manchester United fan as a kid has dreamt about scoring at such a time. So I am just happy for the kid.
  13. Feb 4, 2018

CA1 Full Member

I think there is a very good chance of seeing that at some point. Maybe even in Europe.

Fellaini injured and Herrera has had a poor season, he runs around chasing lost causes. Mourinho may just trust McTominay the most to sit and hold a position alongside Matic whilst giving Pogba more license.
  14. Feb 4, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

People are confusing "ordinary" with "Mature". Just because someone has not got the pace, power or creativity does not make them more mature. It is just that they have to play to their strengths and take far less risk than others with the talents of players like Pogba. To say that he is more mature than Pogba is just erroneous, to say the least especially since he has only played a handful of games compared to Pogba so the sample data is far too little to be able to produce useful conclusions.

Scott has plenty of time to take his strengths to a higher level and become a very important player. If you think about Roy Keane in the second half of his career he did the ordinairy things which are vital to a team and took those things to a level above everyone else. Tracking, tackling, distribution, breaking up play, starting attacks, leadership. There is nothing wrong with doing that and I would argue it is something we would benefit from greatly and would be the missing piece of the puzzle. It sounds like in the summer we will get that CM who can add that to the team but Scott is still young and could eventually be that for us. One can only hope that like Keane and others in the pat that he takes ordinary and turns it into extraordinary :devil:
  15. Feb 4, 2018

beedoubleyou Full Member

He looked good. He doesn't need to do this or that, just keep doing what he's doing and he'll be fine. Obviously, it's Red Cafe, so if you're 21 and not playing like Michael Carrick or Roy Keane were at 27, then you're rubbish, but in the real world, kid's doing fine and the experience will only do him good.
  16. Feb 4, 2018

RedStarUnited Full Member

More mature than Pogba?

The cult of LVG lives on.
  17. Feb 4, 2018

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

He played like that once vs Chelsea away and he got rave reviews on the caf. He needs to show when we need him to do a job he can do it.
  18. Feb 4, 2018

Highfather_24 New Member

I would actually wouldnt mind if he was one of our first team centre mids next season alongside Matic, Herrera and another new CM. Along with more attacking mids like Pogba and Pereira, thats actually quite a good and balanced midfield.

First team being :

----Matic
    -CM----Pogba

Backups being :

--McTominay
    Herrera--Pereira
  19. Feb 4, 2018

NoPace Full Member

Fair
  20. Feb 4, 2018

AP88 Full Member

Sadly he’s not a Woodward glamour signing.

Matic and Cook with Pogba roaming ahead of them would neutralise all of their respective weakenesses.
  21. Feb 4, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

He looks good, I’ve been impressed by the maturity of his performances so far. For me he looks better than Fletcher and Lingard did at that age.
  22. Feb 4, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

like this kid

doesn't shy away from the challenge and does most things pretty well

reminds me of Nicky Butt
  23. Feb 4, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

Actually, when I watch him play, his style and the way he plays reminds me of a blend between Matic and Carrick.
  24. Feb 4, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

What a load of crap you posted. Utter nonsense. He’s keeping it simple because they are supposed to! It’s not all about flair and sparkle. Some players in certain positions can be very successful all their career for keeping it simple in their role.

I especially remember Matic specifically saying after the match that they are given instructions to get back to basics and keep it simple.

Furthermore, it’s always good for a youngster given a chance to start with the first team to keep it simple and have a successful day.
  25. Feb 4, 2018

Yagami Full Member

My opinion means diddly-squat in the grand scheme of things! Though I take back saying he offers nothing as that's just wrong on my end. He follows José's instructions to a tee and has offered balance to the team. Defensively, I think he positions himself very well, too.
  26. Feb 4, 2018

hn4manunited Full Member

Boom!
  27. Feb 4, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

A post I can respect. No doubling down, no stubborn refusal, just self reflection and a slight change of heart.
  28. Feb 4, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Oh yeah of course. He's been given strict instructions not to show any ambition with his passing whatsoever. What a load of nonsense. It seems as though he's been given that same instruction in every game he's played for us, including the u21/23s.

Honestly, he could've spent the entire game passing it to their centre forward and posters like you would find some way to praise him.
  29. Feb 4, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Might be wrong as I’m just trying to guess from memory, but haven’t we won every game that he’s played/started in?

He provides a platform to allow the others to play. I’d like to see him given a run in the side with Matic and Pogba.
  30. Feb 4, 2018

Tapori Full Member

True; I think McTominay has it in him to burst forward.
  31. Feb 4, 2018

Coops73 Full Member

I thought he played great, was kicked to feck but never let it get to him, plays simple, keeps it moving and as he gets more games I think he will get more confident and become less conservative and I think him, Matic and Pogba could possibly work well, wouldn’t be adverse to Mourinho trying it against the geordies.
  32. Feb 4, 2018

pseudo_canadian Full Member

Likewise. He's established himself in the first team as a reliable option.

And Jose isn't the manager to put someone in the starting 11, especially a youth player, just for the sake of it. He clearly trusts him.

I believe McTominay will make it here.
  33. Feb 4, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

He's won me over. The kid is not ridiculously talented but he's taking his chance very well.
  34. Feb 4, 2018

Coops73 Full Member

So do I and as he gets more game time I think his confidence will grow and with that a more positive style of play. I would like to see him more and more in a 3 with Pogba and Matic.
  35. Feb 4, 2018

We need an rvn Full Member

Same here. He's very similar to Matic and if you were to tell me we'd have a young matic in our squad to dominate midfield for the next x years then I'd happily take it.
  36. Feb 4, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

Indeed. Let's hope he kicks on from here to even better things. A few of the youth players LVG introduced showed some promise but eventually they were found out.
  37. Feb 4, 2018

Oneunited26 Full Member

Is McTominay good enough for united? not what I have seen so far, but? if it means fellaini is gone, bring on McTominay. Let the contract rebel go for free and bring McTominay through
  38. Feb 4, 2018

Wilt New Member

Likeable lad, reminds me a of Gordon McQueen in stature.
  39. Feb 5, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Ha, thanks. I've been wrong many times before and will be wrong again. I'm not perfect and have no problem admitting it.

If McTominay goes on the become a reliable option for us in the future for years to come I'll happily admit I was wrong about him there, too!
  40. Feb 5, 2018

RedPnutz Full Member

What’s not to like? Young player, performing according to how the manager likes. Shows strength and resilience even after kicking around. Keeps things simple and ticking along while allowing other flair players to flourish.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.