Scottish Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Cheesy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

What's the problem - he shouldn't be doing both jobs at the same time?
  2. Mar 12, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Pretty much yes. Candeias has been class - best signing by some distance - his delivery from wide areas is superb.
  3. Mar 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Scotland squad named today, bit more experimental than usual. Has some interesting new names in there like Ollie McBurnie (scoring regularly at Barnsley) and Barry Douglas (been great for Wolves).

Tom Cairney finally getting called up aswell, he'll be in the premier league next season with or without Fulham.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Jordan Archer (Millwall), Allan McGregor (Hull City) Jon McLaughlin (Hearts)

Defenders: Barry Douglas (Wolves), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Russell Martin (Norwich, on loan at Rangers), Scott McKenna (Aberdeen), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn), Callum Paterson (Cardiff), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), Kieran Tierney (Celtic).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Celtic), James Forrest (Celtic), Tom Cairney (Fulham), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Kevin McDonald (Fulham), Kenny McLean (Aberdeen), Dylan McGeouch (Hibernian). John McGinn (Hibernian), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Jamie Murphy (Brighton, on loan at Rangers), Matt Ritchie (Newcastle), Ryan Christie (Celtic, on loan at Aberdeen)

Forwards: Oli McBurnie (Swansea, on loan at Barnsley), Jason Cummings (Nottingham Forest, on loan at Rangers), Matt Phillips (West Brom)
  4. Mar 12, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Yeah right okay was hoping for some sanity from a teddy bear. Silly me.
  5. Mar 12, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Not sure if it's true but that linesman is rumoured to have been a Rangers season ticket holder at some point, just like Bobby Madden.
  6. Mar 12, 2018

here he is

7. Mar 12, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

I think he missed the point altogether, I wasn't talking about any players from the old Rangers, but their current squad. They have a few players that might get on Celtic's bench but that's it. Certainly none with the ability of the 3 three Celtic goalscorers yesterday. The gulf between the two teams is huge.
    That's what I was saying.
  8. Mar 12, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Also had to backtrack recently on some comments he made about gypsies/traveling people, someone posted a link to this earlier in the thread.
    In all fairness, the red card yesterday was correct, but Declan John got away with a two footed studs up lunge among other baffling decisions yesterday.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. Mar 12, 2018

VBI Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic, Barca
    Come on man, that first part is wildly mis-leading. Celtic had literally one EBT, for Juninho, and when they found out the legal ramifications they paid the back tax on it and closed it. That's the issue with them. Trusts can work, just not the way Rangers used them. And some staff did use a tax scheme, and they've rightly lost money on it, but it wasn't a club run plan specifically to defraud Scottish football and the taxman of millions.
  10. Mar 12, 2018

Sky Blue Red New Member

And you must be as deluded as him.
  11. Mar 12, 2018

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

An important distinction should be noted here in that Rangers weren't 'relegated' to the fourth tier; they applied for SPL membership on the basis that their membership would be transferred from the oldco to the newco, had that rejected, and then had to re-apply to enter the SFL again. 'Relegation' or 'demotion' implies they were taken down the leagues when in reality they had to apply again entirely.
  12. Mar 12, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Are Rangers going to be challenging for the title next year then?
  13. Mar 12, 2018

It's difficult to tell really. For all their improvement this season, they were only really being considered as prospective title challengers until yesterday due to Celtic's relative dip in form compared to last season. Rodgers' 2016-17 side would've already been out of sight. If they can recover that sort of form again then I struggle to see Rangers mounting a serious challenge next season.

It also remains to be seen whether Murty's managed to mount a genuine improvement or whether they're just on a sustained good run of form. It's easy to forget that just a few months back the club seemed to be in the midst of (another) crisis: unable to get McInnes, suffering defeats to relegation threatened teams and left with a coach who looked wildly out of his depth. Fortunes have improved since then but Celtic still have a lot more resources and a stronger side. Consolidating 2nd may be a better goal for Rangers next year.
  14. Mar 12, 2018

Are Rangers relatively poor in comparison to Celtic then?
  15. Mar 12, 2018

I'd say there's still a significant gulf, yes. Not as stark as it was last season, but I'd say the closing of the gap has been more down to Celtic's relative weaknesses than Rangers' improvements. Compared to last season Celtic haven't looked all that much better than they did in the Deila era; they've been lacking a consistent goalscorer, albeit with multiple figures from all over the park contributing reasonable amounts, and while they have a decent defensive record in the league I don't think their defence is at all impressive once they have some pressure applied to them.
  16. Mar 12, 2018

I more meant in financial terms. I think Rogers will jump ship soon as well so that could help them. I never realised that Rangers have more titles than Celtic. I guess Rangers will be aiming to get back to a title winning level before Celtic can overhaul them.
  17. Mar 12, 2018

I don't know their exact financial states (and discerning Rangers' financial condition is never an easy task) but I'd say Celtic are much stronger, yes. Certainly they're paying their players a lot more.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...celtic-rangers-weekly-wages-revealed-11596087

Most remarkable there is how well Aberdeen/Hibs are doing compared to the resources of the big two. Ideally both should be blowing them out of the water but it's only really Aberdeen's results against the top two, ironically, keeping them away from a serious title challenge.
  18. Mar 12, 2018

Aye, that is crazy. I wonder if there is another league in the world where the top clubs wage bill is more than twice that of its nearest rival!
  19. Mar 12, 2018

To be fair, it's obviously a sort of unique example insofar as the financial troubles of Rangers are concerned here. And I'd imagine Rangers would've been banking on a semi-okay Europa League campaign giving them more room for flexibility - their shock exit against Progres put pave to that.

Disparity wise I've read it's one of the most unfair and disproportionate leagues in the world.
  20. Mar 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Rangers losing to those Luxembourg part timers at the start of the season is all you need to know about their quality.
  21. Mar 12, 2018

MemphisDepay Full Member

Supports:
    Rangers and Celtic
    They are still utterly pants but they’ve improved at least tenfold since then, Pedro Caixinha was an absolute joke.
  22. Mar 12, 2018

Nope not at all. I try not to generalize entire supporter bases but you on the other hand do.
  23. Mar 12, 2018

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Injuries have really hampered the squad. Dembele, Griffiths, Roberts, Rogic, Armstrong and Boyata have all seen serious time out.
  24. Mar 12, 2018

Sky Blue Red New Member

And where did I say anything about any supporters?
  25. Mar 12, 2018

Oh so its the club and players you dont associate class with? Do elaborate!
  26. Mar 12, 2018

To an extent, yes, but even then with the quality have they should be sweeping the league aside with consummate ease.
  27. Mar 12, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Deluded to suggest that Celtic are a much better team than Rangers and have much better players ? Deluded to suggest that they don't have any players of the calibre of Rogic, Dembele or Edouard ? Oh yes, I can see where you are coming from with that, nice one. Almost as deluded as the Rangers fans who think they were just unlucky yesterday and do actually believe the gap between the two teams doesn't exist. They celebrated two draws at Celtic Park in the last year as if they had won the Champions League. Even their last win over Celtic was a pyrrhic victory, knocked Celtic out the Cup in the Semi on penalties then contrived to lose to Hibs in the Final. Priceless.
    Their arrogance and deluded thinking is laughable, long may it continue though.
    I would say that Murty has actually done a pretty good job with the players he has, deserves a lot of credit the way he has gone about things after the mess left behind by Warburton and especially Caixinha.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  28. Mar 13, 2018

Sky Blue Red New Member

Do you or him actually read what is written or just pick things out of your head?
    Deluded and arrogance, two words that could be associated with others teams as well.
  29. Mar 13, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

You said in your last post in response to Ramshock "you must be as deluded as him" that was me as in "him" you were referring to I assume so you were calling me deluded were you not ? As I have said at least once, I was referring to the three Celtic goalscorers on Sunday being far better players than the current Rangers team could even dream of, as in Rangers post 2012 after their "financial meltdown". Not the old Rangers teams of years gone by e.g. some of their 9 in a row teams, which contained some great players while in that period Celtic, for the most part, floundered around with a succession of mediocre and simply dreadful players and managers, some of the players and teams in this period were a total embarrassment.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  30. Apr 14, 2018

Arbitrium Taking a year off

Semi final at hampden tomorrow, with Motherwell waiting in the final after an impressive win v Aberdeen.

If tomorrow’s game is anything like the last one, then we are in for a proper treat.
  31. Apr 14, 2018

TinFoil New Member

Wouldn't put it past this rangers team to win then lose the final to Motherwell, shades of 2016.
  32. Apr 15, 2018

Still such a big gap
  33. Apr 15, 2018

Celtic fans singing Andy Halliday’s name to KC and the sunshine band, he was absolutely shocking and then got taken off after 39minutes.
  34. Apr 15, 2018

Not much of a contest here. Rangers have been poor at the back.
  35. Apr 15, 2018

Dembele with a panenka penalty, Ross mccrorie sent off, probably a bit harshly.
  36. Apr 15, 2018

“In the 59 years I have supported Rangers- this is the worst state I have ever seen them in - so so sad and it breaks my heart

A clueless manager, a team with no talent or heart and a future so unclear - they certainly do not deserve this fantastic and unbelievable support who stick by them every game and every year.

I sit here with my Rangers top on, which I do with every old firm game- and I wonder why I bother !!!!

The Rangers I knew have gone to feck and I do not see us getting any where without a massive investment.............”

Stuff like this makes that first half v West Brom not seem so bad.
  37. Apr 15, 2018

TinFoil New Member

They're shocking on the pitch and at boardroom level.

King should be in prison and that clown from Motherwell never should've been employed.
  38. Apr 21, 2018

Nice from Celtic today, Hibs win puts them on 62 points level with rangers and Aberdeen, and now Celtic can clinch the league next week at Celtic park against the rangers.
  39. Apr 26, 2018

pauldyson1uk Full Member

40. Apr 29, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Old Firm derby today at midday, if Celtic win, they win the league. Rangers need points to stay ahead of Hibs in the race for Europa League.