Should supporters cheer on their team no matter what?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by JSArsenal, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sep 11, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

I'm talking about booing in the stadium, as well as complaining online because apparently, some footballers do read the comments on social media, Bellerin for one has said he has been upset in the past over what some fans have said.

This might be solely an Arsenal thing given the highs and lows we have throughout the season and the whole Wenger issue but I'll see what everyone else thinks. Sometimes when I'm out talking about Arsenal with other supporters and to lesser extent supporters of other clubs, it is likely someone is unhappy about something. The conversation usually goes like this and I'm removing the profanity,

"We just lost 3-0 to Chelsea, Wenger doesn't know what he's doing and should be sacked" - Person A

"Its only October mate, get behind the team and the manager." - Person B

Sometimes I get the feeling that some supporters think that you aren't a real fan unless you cheer on the team no matter what is happening on or off the pitch. Of course, some people do moan incessantly but at the same time fan unrest is one of the few ways to let a club's owner know that you aren't happy with the current state of affairs.

I personally think its possible to both support the team and let it be known that you aren't happy with the way things are. But on the flip side, plenty of people get abusive when they are complaining about the team and that isn't acceptable. I never had a problem with fans booing Wenger but the abuse hurled towards him at the Stoke train station a few years ago was shameful.

So, blind support or do you think its okay to voice your displeasure with the team, either at the stadium, out with friends or online.
  2. Sep 11, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Although the consensus is to cheer the team at all times personally i agree with booing in extreme circumstances.

Players shown petulance on the field.
    Players bad mouthing the club
    Refusing to be substituted
    Not giving an arse on the field

For me personally if you got cheered on no matter what you serve is just not right. Stick and carrot sort of thing
  3. Sep 11, 2018

ReddyMcRedface New Member

Unless things are at a point where circumstances are causing genuine problems for the future of the club, then I don't see the point in doing anything other than supporting your club when you're inside the ground. What might constitute 'genuine problems' may change from person to person but the basic point is I think protest or visible/audible discontent should be saved for drastic circumstances.

When it comes to forums and simply talking football to people, then I think everything's pretty much fair game short of actual abuse. If Hector Bellerin really is getting 'upset' over things that the fans are saying then maybe elite level sport isn't for him. Premier League players should have the mentality to either ignore it or use it to fuel better performances.

I certainly wouldn't expect any United players to give a feck what my opinion is of them.
  4. Sep 11, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Of course you should voice your griefs but not to the point of abusing players, coach or management unless exceptional circumstances. If you always blindly support you may as well be robots.
  5. Sep 11, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Come game day, get behind the team. I understand there may be some exceptions to this rule but if a team is underperforming, booing them isn’t going to make them start playing any better.

There was a guy a few years ago I remember calling for de gea to be booed. It was during LVGs time and was about de gea stalling a contract talk. So if he had got his way, everyone at the ground would have been booing de gea when he had the ball. Considering how much he kept us in games if we had been booing him we might have done even worse during that spell.

When it come to online and with friends, go nuts. We all have our views and should be free to share them. I don’t think anyone is less of a fan than another just because they love or hate Jose. Just different opinions coming from a place that wants to see the team do well.

60 plus thousand fans booing for whatever reason, isn’t going to help us get a win on game day. It will do the opposite. If you have to boo, or fly a plane over the stadium or whatever at least do it after the final whistle.
  6. Sep 11, 2018

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Fans are not robots
  7. Sep 11, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

Yeah Bellerin talked about both homophobic abuse he has received and complaints about his performances.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...it-makes-you-a-target-its-dangerous-nv9qfnsbm
  8. Sep 11, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

Agreed.
  9. Sep 11, 2018

ReddyMcRedface New Member

The homophobic stuff is out of order but the age we live in inevitably invites that type of nonsense behind the anonymity of social media. As much as it shouldn't be, it appears to be par for the course for all top level sportsmen. I'd still expect them to have a good enough filter to ignore it.
  10. Sep 11, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Support in the stands no matter what.

Outside the pitch, each one to his own opinion.
  11. Sep 11, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

Supporters can do as they please as long as it doesn't involve abusing others, or heaven forbid resorting to violence. Beyond that it's fair game. If people want to boo then they have every right to. If they want to call for a manager to be sacked that is their prerogative. We aren't sheep, nor are we prisoners to the club. I pity the self-righteous holier-than-thou crowd who constantly berate supporters for not supporting no matter. I pity them for not being able to think for themselves or form any kind of opinion.
  12. Sep 11, 2018

oneniltothearsenal Arse Lover Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    The case with Wenger and Arsenal showed what the most effective protest is - simply not showing up to matches. Forget all the booing, whistles, plane banners, Youtube rants. The only thing that really mattered is simply not showing up. That sends the message far more than anything else. That scares the profit motive in these billionaires more than anything else.
  13. Sep 11, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

I was very surprised that Bellerin actually read that stuff. I just assumed that outside of what they hear in the stadium and out on the streets, footballers were completely oblivious to supporter opinion. The fact that they, well at least Bellerin sit down and read comments on social media was an eye opener. They are only human after all so I'm not surprised that he was bothered by it once he saw it. I would advise him and every other sportsperson to simply ignore it completely. I know they are probably searching for positive comments to feel good about themselves but the trade off isn't worth it.
  14. Sep 11, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    In the interview he talks about Twitter as a “source of information”. That was how I used to use it. Strictly lurking. Never posted anything or interacted with anyone. Could he not use it in the same way? Or does just having an account open him to loads of abuse?
  15. Sep 11, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

Well, some celebrities apparently search their own name on twitter to see what people are saying about them. If I assume Bellerin isn't doing that then he is probably reading comments that people leave on his own twitter posts like this:
    That came from this twitter post he made last month and a few others are in the same vein.

Or he never bothered to turn off his notifications, I'm not sure how it works for someone like Bellerin with over a million followers as I assume people mention him a lot. If he never turned off his notifications or set them up so he wouldn't see certain posts, when someone on twitter posted something like: " God @HectorBellerin is so awful, worst Right Back the club has ever had, go back to Spain." He would get a notification about it.

He could make a new twitter account and make it private in order to control who can follow his account, see his tweets and reply to them if he wants to use it solely as a source of information without having to endure the abuse. But yes, having an open account like he does leaves him open to abuse, all celebrities and sportspersons really. The most he can do is turn off his notifications and try not to read the comments people leave.
  16. Sep 11, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    I'm not sure I get these types of discussions... Manchester United are a football club, not a government. I believe in the right to protest, but as much as I love the club... I'm not sure I have the energy to always be really angry at our manager. I'm sure he, like his predecessors, is probably doing the best job he can. The world's already too big of a crap hole without complaining after a win. Some people will never be happy, and some people even feel that makes them superior to others... I don't think it does, but frankly, who cares? I love football, and I love the club... but frankly I could do without all this "top red" "true meaning of patriotism" stuff. Support the club, don't support the club, but don't ruin the experience for the rest of us. I started following this forum because of the excitement about some of our youth products, a bit of transfer chat and a bit of banter. Every thread's the same now though. Can't talk about a young player without debating if Mourinho ruins young players... can't praise a player without seemingly bashing another. Can't mention an opponent without our own supporters bashing either our results, our style of play, or our team selection. We're becoming far more boring than some make our team out to be.
  17. Sep 11, 2018

IrishGlen New Member

Yeah, the homophobic abuse is bang out of order as is anything ad hominem. By all means, criticize the player / manager for what happens on the field / performances but some people go too far and get real nasty and personal. That’s never okay. What exactly happened to Wenger at Stoke?

As for why the players look at such? Well, I remember reading an article about Rebekah Vardy (Obviously, Jamie’s wife) and she said that she would always look to stop the trolls from winning so maybe that’s the way Bellerín viewed it too however I’d imagine after a while, you’d really have to stop putting yourself through that.
  18. Sep 11, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Nope.
  19. Sep 11, 2018

AaronRedDevil New Member

I believe bill shankly or Sir Alex Ferguson said it best. "If you don't support us when we lose, then don't support us when we win"
  20. Sep 11, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Yes.

Check the Dictionary definition of the word.
  21. Sep 11, 2018

hobbers Full Member

Criticism is still a form of support, so long as it comes with the intention of improving things.

When it comes to booing, you shouldn't really ever boo during a match, unless someone does something really shitty, but after the game if the performance was awful then you as a paying supporter are well within your right to let your feelings be known.
  22. Sep 11, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

You are supporting the club or supporting the manager ? Both aren’t always the same
  23. Sep 11, 2018

Camilo Full Member

If the team give 100%, and our setup and shape are chosen for the right reasons, there is never ever be any reason to boo. Any team can lose 3-0 on a bad day, and we all have them.

If the collective effort, or collective focus isn't there, then it's fair game.
  24. Sep 11, 2018

The Cat Full Member

How can you not support your team? I don't understand this.

Yes be pissed off at things but never go against them when they are playing.

Boo after the final whistle if it is that bad.
  25. Sep 11, 2018

RooneyLegend Full Member

Never, that's how disaster strikes. Club's have to be held accountable by their biggest stakeholders. Cheering mediocrity is how you you create an environment where it'll
    manifest.
  26. Sep 11, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

I'm inclined to say people just love a good whinge and know nothing about positive psychology. I don't get it myself.
  27. Sep 12, 2018

iluvurmummy Full Member

From the moment your team gets on the pitch you should get behind them - anything else would just be counter-productive. If grievances need to be aired however, knock yourself out after the final whistle I say.
  28. Sep 12, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

I get sometimes blamed by my girlfriend for being judgemental about her actions, the way she looks and more - ultimately it's a part of something you do because you care. Why else does parents give advice, give their judgements on their childs repeated mistakes?
  29. Sep 12, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Bellerin was upset because people called him a lesbian on Twitter. Not sure those people were even Arsenal fans tbh.

Personally I don't think you should boo at games (although I did once myself - Norwich at home under LVG) and you should try to be positive. But playing to the camera with ostentatious, unjustified shows of loyalty do more damage than good.

The same principle applies online - criticise, but be constructive.
  30. Sep 12, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    Using the parental metaphor, not all parental advice is wise, informed, or asked for. Also, affirmation might prove more effective in the long term. Not flattery or denial, just support.
    ... I'm also not sure you shouldn't lay off your girlfriend a bit, but that's your business.
  31. Sep 12, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

For sure - but I never said all point of view is right - but nevertheless the parents support the child. The same case here as fans in my opinion; we have different points of views & advice - but we all support the club. Sometimes we speek loud because we deem it to be useful for the short or long term aspects of the club.

This all ultimately happened under LVG & it was hardly a problem for anyone - when the same happens for Jose it has become a bit more of a problem.
  32. Sep 12, 2018

Scarecrow Having a week off

What does "should" mean? According to who? Do whatever you want.
  33. Sep 12, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

This.
  34. Sep 12, 2018

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    In answer to the OP, no.

We all love our respective clubs. Just because you don't like them sometimes doesn't mean you've given up on them, it means that you know they should be doing something better or different and you're voicing your opinion.
    I love my wife and kids but if they do something that I'm unhappy with, I'm going to tell them.
    I'll defend them to the hilt to any outsiders but I'm allowed to voice my displeasure if I feel something needs to change.