Should the PL introduce a Sin Bin?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Offsideagain, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Oct 29, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

There seems to be an upsurge in the number of players being pulled back when they are on a break. United players do it too and the ‘taking one for the team’ makes a mockery of the laws. It’s a yellow card offence unless a clear goal scoring opportunity is prevented.
    Sin bins were introduced in both codes of Rugby although you virtually have to mame someone in League to get a sin bin. I bet if a player got ten minutes in the bin for pulling back, it would stop. Perhaps introduce it for diving too. Yellow card AND ten minutes in the bin would make them think. Probably need a proper VAR to police it though.

What do you lot think.
  2. Oct 29, 2018

Frank Grimes Full Member

I think it could work but would surely have to be a FIFA implemented law and not a PL initiative.
  3. Oct 29, 2018

haram Full Member

10 minutes is too long. 5 minutes maybe. There are teams that press higher up the pitch who just foul their way out of trouble with little concequences.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Oct 29, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Sin bin eh? Sounds like Liverpool.
  5. Oct 29, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    No it doesn't, thats the way the laws are interpreted. If you think the law needs to be rewritten then propose that instead of a sin bin.
  6. Oct 29, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

Er, and how would you rewrite a law that says pulling back a player is a yellow card without increasing the sanction? Red card? You, with respect, have missed the point which is to make the punishment fit the crime. Making pulling back a sin bin offence is rewriting the Law and will make players think (if they can think) about cheating as in diving.
  7. Oct 29, 2018

11101 Full Member

I was thinking of posting something similar after the Everton game. Seems like its become a standard tactic to defend a counter attack, to just take the player out. We do it too. With 3 in midfield you effectively have 3 free attempts before it costs you anything. It ruins what is often one of the most exciting plays of a football game.
  8. Oct 29, 2018

Skills Snitch

You would just see more diving IMO. Forwards diving to get a defender off the pitch for 10 minutes would be worth the risk.
  9. Oct 29, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    No I haven't missed the point. This idea that the punishment does not fit the crime is unfounded because the punishment does indeed fit the crime as per the rules. The laws of the game are being applied correctly so they are not being made a mockery of.

A sin bin is introducing a completely new mechanic to the game, it is not simply a rule change it changes what football is fundamentally by taking out players from the game.

I am not against sin bins in general but applying it to a situation where the rules are well known makes very little sense. Sin bins for decisions where the referee is not sure that a red card is fair may be a good idea. But, Sin bins because you don't like players stopping counter attacks is a bad idea in my opinion, because there is no rule breaking going on so long as they player attempts to get near the ball.
  10. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    They should introduce a sin bin for pundits if you ask me. That would be fecking hilarious. Alright that's it Graeme, feck off in to the bin for 5 minutes, you're having another shocker. Or just make it a dunce cap or something.
  11. Oct 29, 2018

nePhantom New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Hockey is for 2 minutes, I’d say 4 minutes for football would be appropriate
  12. Oct 29, 2018

jeff_goldblum Full Member

I wouldn't mind a system like this solely for "professional fouls". Intentional cheating should carry a heavier punishment than most other infringements, and the current rules surrounding what sorts of behaviours earn a foul, a yellow or a red don't allow for that.

Half of me just thinks start giving reds for clear cheating of the sort described in the OP, use VR to help when it comes in. We see players 'taking one for the team' at least once a game, so the current system clearly isn't disincentive enough.
  13. Oct 29, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

Wouldn't it just be 10 minutes of bus parking by the team with 10 men? Like power play in ice hockey. Not sure it'll make the game more entertaining.
  14. Oct 29, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Sin bin for the first yellow would be a nice change. Currently getting a yellow means very little, other than trying not to be a dick again for the rest of the match.

It will if it’s the keeper that gets the card :lol:.
  15. Oct 29, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

Sin bin after the first yellow makes more sense. Give them yellow. Then if they can't calm their tits they're sent to the sin bin for 5 minutes.

Then if they proceed to act like a bull in a china shop, they get sent down the tunnel where they're immediately gunged by the ghost of Dave Benson Philips.
  16. Oct 30, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    I think the rules work fine. It's up to the refs to enforce the current rules.
  17. Oct 30, 2018

klsv Full Member

Spurs already implementing some NFL aspects, so why not something from NHL too. Maybe also give two goals for those scored from outside the box.
  18. Oct 30, 2018

Gasolin Full Member

I think it's either a red card (to provide a penalty) or nothing, but it would be impossible to pull a player out of the field for 10 mn. Simply because FIFA would not provide such an option.
  19. Oct 30, 2018

RedPed Full Member

100% this. Refs just need to be more firm in dishing out the yellows...and reds where necessary. Players and managers will soon get the message when they are suspended for future games. We don't need sin bins.
  20. Oct 30, 2018

Hawks2008 Full Member

If it stops these 'professional' fouls then I'd be for it. 10 mins is too long though.
  21. Oct 30, 2018

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

I think something should be done, but don’t want to change The fundamentals of the game.

Thinking outside of the box - how about if guilty of this type of offence your team loose one of your subsituites. I.e, if you havent used any subs yet, then you only get two and the player gets the booking as usual.

If all the subs are used, then he gets sent off and they are down to 10 men.

This at least is more of a punishment than a yellow, which is not enough - but not an automatic red.
  22. Oct 30, 2018

MoskvaRed Full Member

I think it’s a good idea - it works well in rugby as a sanction for persistent cheating.
  23. Oct 30, 2018

Just imagine that blaring around the stadium and the announcer screaming “POWEEERRPLAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!”

Our game needs this.
  24. Oct 30, 2018

Zlaatan Parody Account

I think you have missed the point actually. The argument is that the punishment does not fit the crime and the rules should change, so it makes no sense at all to say that it's unfounded because the the rules says that the punishment does fit the crime. If someone wants to change a rule then you can't argue against that by saying that the rule is fine because it's the current rule.
    That the current rules of the game are being followed and applied correctly is completely irrelevant as well.

As for your last sentence, it doesn't matter if a player tries to get near the ball or not, it's whether he hits the ball or not. If he doesn't hit the ball first it's as clear as a rule break that you're going to get, but of course it's worse if he only tries to get the player and I think that's where this whole thing started. A tactical foul to stop a counter attack should be punished more than for example a goalie delaying the game by not taking a goal kick fast enough.
  25. Oct 30, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Only for being a prat towards the ref. Tired of seeing referees get crowded for every little thing.
  26. Oct 30, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    No, it would be carnage, refs struggle to implement rules as it is so adding another layer wouldn't help the game
  27. Oct 30, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Agreed, but I do think refs ought to get tougher with these 'tactical' fouls. They are irritating and spoil the game as a spectacle.
  28. Oct 30, 2018

Pughnichi New Member

Let’s just get VAR nailed before talk of a new rule change.

That said I do think it could add an interesting dimension to the game. Players penalised instantly and the team on the receiving end actually see the benefit.
  29. Oct 30, 2018

Pughnichi New Member

On the contrary. Say for example Chelsea went down to 10 against Huddersfield. Huddersfield would likely remove the bus and be more pragmatic for 10 mins...and I doubt Chelsea would park the bus for that same period. Could be end to end.

No one really knows until it’s trialed and I just can’t see it for a good few years...if at all
  30. Oct 30, 2018

Le Red Full Member

That's the Luis Suarez handball discussion all over again. Taking a yellow card or even a red card can be a resource to be used strategically in the right moment.
    It's within the rules of the game and as far as no intentional hurting occurs it's a stretch to call it anti-sportsmanship.
    If you're going to commit fouls, it might as well be in a moment where it can actually help the team instead of getting stupid and useless cards. Unless you are a white knight in shining armor who believes no intentional foul should ever be commited, I don't see where the big ethical problem lies.
    I think the polemic aspect of this resides in the fact that a yellow card seems a very light punishment when a foul stops a really good break, whereas a red card would be too harsh. A somewhere in between punishment such as sin bins sound like a good idea.
  31. Oct 30, 2018

Le Red Full Member

The problem lies in the arbitrary, inconsistent and overly subjective work ethos that plagues football refereeing. Other sports have even more complex sets of rules and don't have half the problems that we have with their refs.
  32. Oct 30, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    Which sports? Rugby, cricket etc is far easier to referee than football ss the referees are closer to the action
  33. Oct 30, 2018

Le Red Full Member

Rugby, american football, basketball, all of those have very complex rules when compared to the simple rules applied to a football match (don't know about cricket).
    It's a misguided freedom of interpretation that allows refs to go topsy-turvy so often.
    I don't get what you say about distance of the action. Football refs are so close to the action these days that in almost every match they block a pass or a player's path. Their positioning makes me sick.
  34. Oct 30, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    I ref rugby, honestly it's piss compared to football, American football have any number of line judges, basketball I know feck all about
  35. Oct 31, 2018

Bergman New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The officiating in rugby really puts football to shame. It's rare to watch your team lose and feel like the ref robbed you. The players (who could probably rip the ref to shreds) never surround him and shout 'feck off' like you see every football match. There's overall much more discipline than football.
  36. Oct 31, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Yes, yellow cards are worthless while red cards can kill the game and are a vastly different punishment whether they happen early or late in in the game.

The system is obsolete and needs an overhaul, litterally every other team sport now has better disciplinary rules. Sin bin is a good intermediary between current yellow and red. I also like the idea of being able to send off players while allowing a later change, would be perfect for players lacking respect for the referee.
  37. Oct 31, 2018

beergod Full Member

Yes. The absurdly cynical play that plagues the modern game needs to be punished appropriately. Also, referees need the leeway to take a "team fouls" approach if a team is doing the same thing repeatedly but rotating players to avoid a yellow card for persistent fouling.
  38. Oct 31, 2018

witchtrials Full Member

Surely in non-"stop the clock" sports this will just lead to loads of time wasting as the team of 10 tries to make sure as little football at possible is played in those 10 minutes.
  39. Nov 1, 2018

Camilo Full Member

I think it'd be a good thing. There's too much bullshit in football, and players tripping attackers up or pulling them back is cheating, pure and simple. I think the rules should recognise that. But yeah, it'd only really work with VAR. But if it stopped cheating I'd be all for it.
  40. Nov 1, 2018

Briman63 New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Iv'e always supported the idea of a sin bin, if a players already been booked i think it's ridiculous that he can then be sent off for something as simple as taking his shirt off celebrating a goal or kicking the ball away, foul play should always be a red but to be sent off for maybe 2 hand balls or a mistimed tackle just spoils the game.