Should we look within the league for our transfer choices ?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by davidmichael, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jan 1, 2018

davidmichael Full Member

I think it’s fair to say that other than Pogba, Matic, Martial and at times Bailly our transfer choices over the past 4 or 5 years haven’t been anywhere near good enough and for the large majority our signings have come from abroad so is it time we started looking within the league again for transfer targets ?.

It was something Sir Alex often did and which did two things, it strengthened us whilst weakening our rivals. I know because of TV money and the so called smaller teams getting better that it’s not as easy as it once was during Sir Alex’s era but there’s proof in us signing Matic that for the right price it can still happen.

As far as FFP goes we’re in a position where we can actually spend more than anyone outside of PSG and for the most part have done but for us to compete or dominate domestically again we need to buy proven Premier League players, by that I mean the best and pay the price which we know the likes of Real or Barca will.

Levy is a nightmare to deal with but regardless of that the fact is the man is a seller of his top stars so Kane and Alderweireld would be on my list as would Bellerin at Arsenal. He’d be very hard to prise away but Hazard is said to be being difficult at Chelsea so before Real or Barca move in why not see if it’s possible, we can offer as much in wages if not more than both.

We don’t need to keep looking at players that are in other leagues just because it’s easier as it means we go through yet another transitional period with our signings as they adjust to our league or don’t make the transition at all and get moved back on.
  2. Jan 1, 2018

Igor Drefljak Definitely Russian

Under SAF, we tended to buy from the clubs a bit lower. We don't have the power here that Bayern have in their league where they can sweep up whoever they want.
    Buying abroad isn't the problem, other clubs are doing it fine, we just need better policies.
  3. Jan 1, 2018

crossy1686 Full Member

We've bought from teams outside of the top 4 before now but it doesn't seem to work out, probably because we can't afford the time it takes for the to adjust to playing for United. Outside of that, why would any other player already playing Champions League and being paid well, want to play for us when they already play for a another top 4 side? It's not like we're guaranteeing trophies anymore.

In saying all that though, I think we should break the bank for Kane before Barcelona or Madrid do.
  4. Jan 1, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

No, that's a bad use of our resources. We should rely on our academy for depth, rely on the purchase of very young(17-20 years old) british players for top rated domestic talent and look abroad for top finished product. We should only look at PL top stars when their contractual situation is favorable.
  5. Jan 1, 2018

Camilo Full Member

I think we will if/when we eventually assert ourselves as a decent club again. I hate to always go back to SAF, but if he were still in charge, and we were still playing the way we always used to play, Kane would be on his way here in the summer.

Weakening others is a great trick if you can do it, and when you have the most pulling power you can pinch players for less than they might be worth, because the player is making all the noise.

As it is, we're hanging around the bar a little overweight with some unsightly pit sweats. We need to keep buying from abroad, hoping some talent sticks.
  6. Jan 1, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

This.

Unless you can get a Mane sort who is ready to burst out as a top player and is at a mid table team.
  7. Jan 1, 2018

HankHill New Member

Supports:
    Ewe Night Tid.
    If the quality is there then why not?

I wanted Kane but I understand that transfer might have been problematic.

I'd very much like us to sign Rose and Mahrez.

These players obviously have the added bonus of being Premier League proven.
  8. Jan 1, 2018

Pyroblazer That's a hot jacket, man

No just way too overpriced in most cases for what you get imo. Our problem is our scouting and that we have no system or idea how we want to play. I mean how does a United player look these days? Tall and strong, that's it I guess. Managers like Klopp or Pep know exactly what type of player they want and need and who suits their system. Signining players from abroad isn't the problem and the other teams are proving it.
  9. Jan 1, 2018

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

We can get good squad players, who can do a decent job. Other than that I think we go for names rather than requirement (there are exceptions but more or less this is the case). We fail to give the manager all the players he needs. The manager fails to identify fall back options if first choice is costly.

The footballing structure within the club is in an alarming state.
  10. Jan 1, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Times have changed. We're the madrid of england back then, right now we don't have the same pulling power compared to city/chelsea, even if we have the money
  11. Jan 1, 2018

sun_tzu The Art of Bore

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
    Wasn't lvg criticized when he wanted mane... not United quality etc etc
  12. Jan 1, 2018

RedPed Full Member

Only players I would take (that could potentially be available) are Aguero (certainly before the Jesus injury), Ozil, Sanchez, Mahrez, Rose and Son.
  13. Jan 1, 2018

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Mane would have flopped at United, just like mhiki would have killed it at Liverpool and bailly would have flopped. Different styles
  14. Jan 1, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

Apart from Mahrez I can't think of anyone else who we could go for. Ruling out Kane and Rose out of this, Kane because he would probably cost £200 million in the current market and Rose won't be cheap neither. I doubt we'll go for Mahrez, if we were interested I think he'd already be a United player by now.
  15. Jan 1, 2018

The_Order Full Member

There is way more money in the league now than there was when SAF ran the show. The lower placed club are earning the same amount as the prize money for winning the CL.

They are no longer beholden to richer clubs for wealth. WE HAVE NO ECONOMIC POWER OVER ANYONE IN THE PREM.
  16. Jan 1, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

I agree with you. We need to start giving our youngsters a chance.
  17. Jan 1, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Buying from within? How much did we pay for Shaw? And 75m for a CB? And now people already complaining about Lukaku.
  18. Jan 1, 2018

To be fair I wasn't convinced either. I was wrong big time on that one. Quality player and those are just the type of signings the experts of the club have to show the foresight to see.
  19. Jan 1, 2018

I don't think he would have flopped. He'd probably have performed like Martial is. But Mkhitarian has been a joke.
  20. Jan 1, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Not really. Are the other teams struggling with their transfers from outside England ? Last I checked the likes of Hazard and KDB, even Salah now all came from outside the league.

We're just signing flops. It's our problem.
  21. Jan 1, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Don't think it's a problem of where the players come from. Other top clubs don't have so many problems with signings. We're just bad at it.

It might also be harder to weaken rivals by signing their best players now, with all the money in the PL.

Though, if SAF were still here, I'm sure Kane would have been a United player by now.
  22. Jan 1, 2018

IronCroos37 New Member

We should be going for class technical players(no risk) that 90% cannot go wrong. either from the within or from abroad.
    Lukaku was a risk(same as Morata) because of his limitations and now we are suffering many times with him upfront.
    Pay up for Griezman, pay up for Sandro, pay up for top players that go straight into the first 11.
    We paid a huge budget on dross players.
  23. Jan 1, 2018

Phil Osophy Full Member

In normal conditions we have to look everywhere, but I think it's getting hard to sign players from english clubs. All of them are developing their financial muscle with the money from TV's, sponsors, so you have to pay x2 to sign anyone. Clubs don't need money, and at the same time they can offer big contracts to their rising stars when they are tempted. It's a very hard market nowadays.

I think the club needs to develop the scouting derpartment, to find potential signings in favourable conditions. Look at Juve for example, this summer paid 45 M £ combined to sign Cuadrado, Benatia and Matuidi. Bernardeschi around 30 M £, like Douglas Costa, or the same ammount they paid for Dybala two years ago. In the last seasons too: Pjanic 25 M £., Alves (free), Khedira (free), Mandzukic 15 M £, etc. They lost their head a bit with Higuain maybe, but in overall you have to respect their job in terms of investment/quality return.

The market is difficult, but it gets even harder if you are not clever. Many times we go for some obvious options, and we lack alternatives if we don't sign them. We fail to land Griezmann (not our fault, it's true), and there's no alternatives. We can't sign Perisic, zero alternatives again. And it's not Jose's fault, this. As a manager he can't explore the whole european football to analyze potential candidates. That's why clubs have a scouting system to have a good database, discover gems and anticipate to other clubs. And I think we are very lazy in that regard, like we were just fishing on the surface with our luxury boat, while others go undersea and find what they need with reasonable prices.
  24. Jan 1, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Don't worry. Last year, Ed Woodward overhauled the scouting department that was developed by SAF which is outdated as David Moye moaned there was no accessible database of potential players and it contributed to LVG and Moye's failed transfer window.

Woodward snapped up Javier Ribalta from Juventus to join United as chief scouts so he will have a ‘significant role’ in United’s transfer business and will oversee which players are targeted. Gerardo Guzman joined us, he snapped up Griezmann, De Gea, Costa and other players that played roles in Atletico Madrid's successes, he has been credited with unearthing the talent that has helped Atletico rise from mid-table mediocrity to European heavyweights in the last decade.

Woodward has appointed as many as 50 scouts in 2016 as part of a major overhaul of the club's recruitment policy and recruited a lot of bosses for Cheif scout, head of global scouting, Head of academy recruitment and other important roles. So they will play a key role in identifying and recruiting players. United keep signing highly-rated promising 16s players.

We signed Bailly and Lindelof for 30 million each which would be considered a bargain compared to City signing stones for 50m and Liverpool signing Van Dijk for 75m. I am interested in seeing what our scout network can do in the next few years, I hope we can continue to get a player that looks like a world-class potential in their position for a cheap price. Bailly has potential to be world class defenders and is one of 5 top defenders in the league. Lindelof has a long way, not ruling him out yet.