Should Wenger be sacked? | Wenger: "I know what I will do in my future, you will soon know."

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VP89, Feb 6, 2017.

?

Should Arsenal sack Wenger

1. Yes

30.3%
  2. No

33.5%
  3. Eboue

36.2%
  1. Feb 6, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

Interested to hear the caf's thoughts on his current situation.

The fans seem to be split from what I know, with the anti Wenger's annoyed by the constant underachievement.

Others seem to take the G. Neville approach, that the club is limited in who they can buy and to remain in the top 4 whilst pretty much every other club has dropped out is great.

But then again, he has double the net spend of Liverpool and even beats Chelsea. http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Chelsea went in transition twice and will win the league (again). Spurs have pretty much bridged the enormous gap between the two clubs and last season has to be one of their biggest failures given the open goal to win the league over Leicester whilst City/United/Chelsea all fell apart.

They can't seem to tie down Sanchez and are balancing precariously at 4th, 1pt over Liverpool and 2pts over ourselves. I wonder what will happen to Wenger by seasons end.

EDIT: Sadly I don't have a poll option, for some reason. If one can be added it would be great.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. Feb 6, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Yes. Well, preferably resign.

Arsenal will never win the league again with that man in charge, and that much has been appparent for years.

If Arsenal want to win the league and compete for CL, he needs to go, quite simply.
  3. Feb 6, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Should have been after Leicester won the league, was blatantly obvious after last season that he will never again take them to the top of English football.

But I think he's benefitted from what has happened here since SAF retired, that has created a fear factor within the Arsenal board. Only a couple of season outside the top 4 will see him moved on.
  4. Feb 6, 2017

Skills Snitch

I'd find it very uncomfortable to sack him with that kind of tenure and what he's done for Arsenal. I'd prefer it if he resigned or nudged into a different role. They need a change though.
  5. Feb 6, 2017

Wiltord02 New Member

Can we have a poll?
  6. Feb 6, 2017

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

His contract runs out this Summer doesn't it?

He should let it run out and leave then. Although of course from a Utd perspective I hope he signs a new deal and stays for as long as possible.
  7. Feb 6, 2017

SteveW Full Member

If they want to win the league any time soon he should go. That of course means taking the risk that things might also get worse.
  8. Feb 6, 2017

Slevs likes to play with penises

It depends.

What are the board's objectives? If it's:

1- Top 4, Champions League Last 16, then Wenger is the best man out there.

2- Winning the league, then yeah he should be sacked.

Everyone keeps talking about Wenger needing to be sacked, but what if the board is the entire problem all along? If spending is capped and the status quo is the required, Arsenal could be in an extremely worse position by sacking Wenger and hiring someone else.
  9. Feb 6, 2017

iHicksy Full Member

If they are happy with guaranteed top four every season but never winning the league then they should keep him. If they want a shot at winning the league, but perhaps also finishing 5th the odd season then they should get someone else in. I think players like Sanchez and Ozil are starting to realise that they won't win the league with Wenger at the helm and hence they aren't going to sign new deals.

He just hasn't got the right mentality and this seeps down to the rest of the team.
  10. Feb 6, 2017

Adnan Twitter machine

He should resign, not good enough for the level Arsenal fans want their club to be.
  11. Feb 6, 2017

Peanut Butter Full Member

Yes. Serial underachiever.
  12. Feb 6, 2017

whatwha Full Member

I'm glad it's not up to me to make that decision. He should have done better in some seasons, clearly. But who can they replace him with who will almost guarantee top 4 like he has done?
  13. Feb 6, 2017

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian

14. Feb 6, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

If Sanchez leaves then they're back to being fecked. He really should walk this summer to give them a breath of fresh air and their players some hope. I hope he stays though. :)
  15. Feb 6, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Nah, too many excuses have been made for him. I think a different coach could have won a title or two with some of the squads he's had over the past 12 years. Last year for a start. He had the best squad. He's past it.
  16. Feb 6, 2017

Raees Sporty Guy

Should have been pushed out years ago if they had genuine ambitions of being a top club.
  17. Feb 6, 2017

Jacko21 Full Member

The Arsenal board aren't fixated on winning the league or Champions League glory, because if they were, Wenger would have been relieved of his duties years ago.

Wenger isn't up to it, his stubbornness known no bounds and he's surrounded himself with a group of pretty boys who present no challenge to his position as manager, thus allowing the mediocrity to continue.

It's embarrassing. Arsenal are embarrassing.
  18. Feb 6, 2017

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
  19. Feb 6, 2017

shaky Full Member

He won't survive much longer. In recent years, more of his top 4 finishes are owing a lot to other 'top 6' teams having poor seasons rather than Arsenal having great seasons. The time has come when all their rivals are playing fairly well and treading water won't get the job done any longer.
  20. Feb 6, 2017

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    [Arse fan]If they won their last game no, if they lost their last game, then yes.[/Arse fan]
  21. Feb 6, 2017

izec Full Member

Yes for their best, no for our best
  22. Feb 6, 2017

I honestly think they wouldn't sack Arsene even if the club were relegated.
  23. Feb 6, 2017

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Sums it up for me :lol:
  24. Feb 6, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

25. Feb 6, 2017

Mitchell Nicholas Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    End of the season he needs to go. Last Saturday's result and the manner of it was so predictable anybody could see it coming (accept for Ty). Last season would have been the final straw if i was an Arsenal director - a club like Arsenal failing to win the league when City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea for differing reasons couldn't challenge for the title would have left his position untenable. If they want to win the League, look like winning the Champions League, somebody else needs to manage Arsenal. The finances for buying players is there - they have spent good money on players in recent seasons and they're no closer to winning the league.
  26. Feb 6, 2017

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

By they do you mean the Arsenal board? Because they clearly would do. The problem the Arsenal board have is that Wenger always manages to meet the minimum required of success by finishing in the top 4. A new guy could come in and struggle and end up costing the club millions as has been the case with us. I think they've watched us and thought may as well stick with the steady eddie.
  27. Feb 6, 2017

finneh Full Member

Of course not. If the club want to win the League they need to give him £150-200m to go out an buy a top class centre forward, a top class midfielder and probably a winger; in addition to upping their wage structure to allow them to keep Ozil/Sanchez. If the club are happy with top 4 then they have nothing to complain about.

If you give a manager the fourth best budget and the fourth highest wage bill, are you really in a position to complain when his last four finishes are above par: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th. He's also won 2 FA Cups in that period.

Using Leicester as a yardstick for who should be winning titles is like using Andy Carroll's Liverpool transfer as a yard stick for what transfers should cost.
  28. Feb 6, 2017

I meant that Arsene might be persuaded to leave (or make a decision to go, all by himself).

Over the years, we've seen Wenger's teams be utterly humiliated by their rivals (8-2, 6-0, 6-1 etc) - if they didn't fire him then, they sure as hell won't do so now.
  29. Feb 6, 2017

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Wont be sacked, got 5 more years of mediocrity from him yet.
  30. Feb 6, 2017

ThierryHenry wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

I hope he doesn't sign a new contract, but I worry about the board being woefully under prepared in terms of a succession plan. This should have been worked out already.
  31. Feb 6, 2017

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

its been over a decade of the same. Can anyone see Arsenal changing next year? no..
    The fans want more, the board have to decide if delivering a shoestring budget and getting top 4 is satisfactory in spite of the fans unrest or if they want to go for more.

If they want to win the league/CL they're going to have to change managers, then again, at the same time, you need the right manager available to replace Wenger, it's all well and good screaming for his head but there must be a plan in place to actually get a better individual to take you forward.
  32. Feb 6, 2017

Not sure why any club would sack their manager after a hammering - thank feck the United board didn't sack Fergie after Chelsea beat us 5-0 in 99. My point is they're not going to sack Wenger if they feel he keeps meeting their minimum standard. Whether or not that's the right thing is another matter though, at some point if you keep giving 6 out of 10 performances, you probably should have your role questioned.
  33. Feb 6, 2017

RU Devil Full Member

I'd think the board would be scared about who to replace him with, just like us & SAF. Get it wrong and they're out in the wilderness, just like we were/are. Chelsea & City are used to the turmoil of changing managers, plus have the financial muscle to recover quickly.

If it was up to their players, I say "No", since it seems a lot are really hooked on Arsene, but for the sake of their fans, I think the board will not offer a new contract. As it is, them not making Top 4/CL will probably clinch it for them.
  34. Feb 6, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    He should do the right thing and go retire to the south of France. If I were Arsenal Id break the bank for Simeone.
  35. Feb 6, 2017

Chelsea and City are have set up in a way the club is sustainable without having to have a constant manager. It is a credit to them in terms of the way they have set up the club to be run, obviously the financial muscle is a big help as well.
  36. Feb 6, 2017

An Arsenal fan responds to Gary Neville's defence of Wenger:

37. Feb 6, 2017

Giant Midget Aka - rooney_10119

One of the most overrated managers of all time. He's done basically nothing since 2005. Never won the CL, only has three league titles in 20-odd years and he's somehow got this status as an elder statesman of English football.
  38. Feb 6, 2017

Hugh Jass Full Member

Its always a bad sign when opposing fans dont want a manager sacked.
  39. Feb 6, 2017

Minimalist Full Member

As a United supporter? Hell no he shouldn't be sacked.

From an Arsenal perspective? Hell no - tell the bloke to resign and enjoy a nice send off.
  40. Feb 6, 2017

RedDevilRooney New Member

He shouldn't be sacked but politely asked to resign. He has given to much to be sacked and has done exactly what the board has asked which is balance the books. As their chief accountant, he should not be sacked but moved upstairs.