Sin bins in Football?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Offsideagain, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

How many a times do we see a promising move stopped by a deliberate foul like Dembele on Lingard the other week and the player may get booked or not depending on the Ref? If the morons at the FA/PL sort out VAR ,they should also introduce sin bins for a ‘professional foul’. We all know what a professional foul is and ten or fifteen minutes off the pitch is more of a deterrent than a booking.

They could use it for diving as well or time wasting. Of course this would apply to all clubs and I bet it would cut out this cynical tactic within weeks. Works in Rugby to an extent but there isn’t as much to lose in Rugby as there is in footy.
  2. Mar 2, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Would the sin-bin replace the yellow card?
  3. Mar 2, 2018

el magico Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    If a player is off the pitch for ten minutes, his team will just 'park the bus' for ten minutes. Thereby, reducing the spectacle for everyone. We've had football for 150 years and professional fouls for just as long. Lets keep football as simple as possible, we don't need contrived rules to improve the game.
  4. Mar 2, 2018

haram Full Member

10 or 15 mins would be too long. 5 mins, maybe. A yellow for stopping counters is probably enough though.
  5. Mar 2, 2018

Ravelation Krump at me Bro

Sometimes it may not be straightforward to differentiate between what was a deliberate foul, and intent to win the ball. I think it's too specific to only call for professional fouls to be treated this way. What happens when a team is time wasting in the corner, and a player chops them down because they can't get to the ball for example?

A yellow card is probably the right level of punishment, it forces the player to not make another tackle of the same sort or face a ban and sending off, it would be more of a deterrent than just a sin bin which will just lead the team into parking the bus.
  6. Mar 2, 2018

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    No thanks

Football isn’t hockey so let’s keep it that way
  7. Mar 2, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

I think this is a good idea. I can't stand professional fouls.
  8. Mar 2, 2018

Supports:
    I will never understand the sentiment of "football is perfect as it is". I wonder if people said the same when the offside rule was created.
  9. Mar 2, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Yeah professional fouls are infuriating - especially when it’s against your team :lol:
  10. Mar 2, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Never been a fan of the idea. I don't have a problem with chopping down a player on the counter attack. I'd want a United player to do it, so can't grumble when it's done back to us. The lack of consistency of bookings dished out for it is the most frustrating part of it. There would just end up being a lack of consistency over sin-bins being handed out for the same offence. No need to complicate it IMO.

Time wasting is a much more unsporting yet widely tolerate act, which I think is a bigger issue.
  11. Mar 2, 2018

Chipper Full Member

I think parking the bus, even for 10 minutes is easier said than done and it would also make it so the team down to 10 men is much more unlikely to score themselves during the sin bin period, assuming they were trying to score in first place of course and not just playing for a 0-0.

The reduced spectacle argument does resonate quite strongly with me though and I don't really see a need for the change.

Another random thought - while every team would rather play with 11 than 10, imagine if someone got sin binned quite early into the second half and was seemingly running around with a lot more energy than everyone else in the last 10 minutes because of the additional rest and scored a goal or two. I don't think that would go down very well. Maybe they should have to run laps around the pitch while sin binned? :lol:
  12. Mar 2, 2018

Captain Obvious Banned

sin.. bin? the name is cringeworthy enough for me not to even look at what it is. No thanks
  13. Mar 2, 2018

Scarecrow Having a week off

The quality of the game usually drops whenever a team is a man-down. I don't think that's something I'd want to see more often. Games are always the most entertaining when both teams go for it and it's end-to-end stuff, which is also often the time you see these tactical fouls. You do this and it will kill the momentum instantly. One team will be trying to waste time for the next 5-10 mins.
  14. Mar 2, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Or substitutions and back passes rule.
  15. Mar 2, 2018

Supports:
    Also, it seems professional fouls are only distasteful when they are done to stop a promising counter attack. When they are done to disrupt more general possession in the middle of the pitch and a buildup of rhythm, they seem to be more welcomed. "Get stuck in" and all that.
  16. Mar 2, 2018

Camilo Full Member

I've always quite wanted to see this. Professional fouls (or whatever we want to call them) have become part of the game, and I'm not sure they should be. A proper 10 minutes down to 10 men as well as the yellow card would make some think twice I think.
  17. Mar 2, 2018

Chipper Full Member

Would it be seen as fair, just, right or whatever for a player getting sin binned at some time in the first 80 minutes for the full 10 minutes, and a player on the opposing team committing a carbon-copy foul with 2 minutes to go only being off the pitch for the remainder of the game? Wonder how that would be greeted. Unequal punishments for the same thing.

Edit: Thinking on, I suppose you could say the same thing when there's a red card for each team now, with one team playing with 10 men longer than the other did. Still, might be some issues there.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  18. Mar 2, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Increasing the punishment for professional fouls will make teams be more conservative and not push as many people forward, so this would have the opposite effect of what's intended.
  19. Mar 2, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

No. it'll be bad, results will mostly be determined by who got binned first.

The team with binned players will turn defensive and time wasting.
  20. Mar 2, 2018

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Not the case with this.

Video replay and all that is something football is already years behind other mainstream sports and need to correctly implement. However, a penalty box completely rewrites the history of the game and it’s far too drastic of a change.

And tbh, would be very ineffective anyways since teams would park the bus until said player comes back on...would be no different when a player gets hurt and goes off to the sideline for a few minutes before coming back on. Too many players are on the field in football and it’s too congested for a penalty box/sin bin to have the same sort of effect as it does in a sport like hockey. Would be pointless imho.
  21. Mar 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I love them! Part of the game imo.
  22. Mar 2, 2018

Supports:
    A passage from one of my favorite articles.

Imagine Keane being sent to a sin-bin during this match.
  23. Mar 2, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I think they're good. The ten minutes you're a player light feel like an eternity, it's a far more fitting punishment for bad infringements just below the red line than only being shown the yellow. You could tweak the rule so that a yellow on its own can be used to administer lighter punishment and save the bin for 'orange'-type fouls.
  24. Mar 2, 2018

Supports:
    Another question. Is the time penalty 10 minutes of the ball in play?
  25. Mar 2, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

You have a lot to lose in Rugby, games are very often lost during a sin bin.
  26. Mar 2, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

You love watching attacks and the flow of the game get broken up with constant free kicks?
  27. Mar 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

If it benefits my team, yes.
  28. Mar 2, 2018

Judas Open to offers

Professional fouls are awful, what an odd thing to love. Even when it benefits Utd I feel dirty.
  29. Mar 2, 2018

BusbyMalone Full Member

I've always thought about this. When i see a great counter attack on and a real possibility of a goal being suppered by a professional foul, it's really grating. A yellow card just doesn't seem sufficient. I know you can't really give a red, but it's so fecking annoying and just generally accepted. Pisses me off no end.

Anyway, not sure how it would work. 10 minutes always seem too long. Do you give it for every yellow? Only one's that are preventing counter attacks? Is it only when the ball is in play that the time ticks down? Don't mind the sentiment though.

Yeah, and "loving" professional fouls is fecking weird.
  30. Mar 2, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

I hate professional fouls. They're cheating and unfair (although I'll admit to loving the odd one we've done when you really want an attack quelled). Using the rules about cards to your advantage when the player should have been away.

The problem obviously is what other people have mentioned - that games go a bit crap, and sometimes it even gets harder to score when the opposition is down to 10. BUT the whole is to stop players committing professional fouls, which should also promote more attacks. So I don't know really, whatever.

7 mins would possibly be better than 10. Less chance of the opposition organising a bus and means the attacking team will hopefully be more likely to go guns blazing rather than building slower attacks.
  31. Mar 2, 2018

Dirty Schwein Should Have Known Better

I think a second yellow door be a sin bin offense
  32. Mar 2, 2018

Traub Full Member

In rugby it would be just for the remaining two minutes. But there’s definitely a few things you could do e.g. the left over time (8 mins in this case) has to be served the next time the player is selected, or the player gets a 1 match ban etc.

This is used in rugby quite well imo. Many here saying teams will just park the bus - but it’s a lot more difficult when you’re missing a player. I would like to see it.
  33. Mar 2, 2018

unitedbhoy Full Member

This makes more sense. It would hopefully lead to less lenience with bookings.
  34. Mar 2, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I'd like to see them reserved for things like diving and arguing with match officials. I don't feel a yellow is enough of an incentive to stop this happening, but you can be damn sure the infringing player would soon stop it when it puts his team down to 10 men for 5/10 minutes.
  35. Mar 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Strongly disagree. Remember the standing ovation Solskjaer got when he got sent off against Newcastle?
  36. Mar 2, 2018

All fouls are professional. Pulling, tackling, shoving.

If they're not at a football match any of the above can get you to court for assault.
  37. Mar 2, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Sounds like being locked in a 5mx5m janitor's closet with Owen and Hargreaves having an 'intellectual dispute'.
  38. Mar 2, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

No they arent. A professional foul is one where the player has no intention of winning the ball fairly. That doesn't constitute every foul.
  39. Mar 2, 2018

James Peril Full Member

Sin-bins is the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard of, so please no.
  40. Mar 2, 2018

Every foul is unfair. If it's fair then it's not a foul.

Pulling shirt is intended to win the ball unfairly. Infact every foul done in football is aimed at gaining advantage (not talking about extraordinary foul like punching biting or spiting).

I get what you mean though, using hands to score goals, to block goals are just technical foul done with the foulest intention. But principal wise a foul is a foul.

So, what the opposite of professional foul? Fair foul?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018