Sky and BT agree cross supply of TV channels

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by stubie, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Dec 15, 2017

stubie Full Member

2. Dec 15, 2017

rednotled Full Member

Looks like BT Sports will form a part of sky sports package. Wonder if that'll be a paid for add-on. I currently pay for BT sports separately (£28? per month) on top of the sky sports package.

I doubt BT will want to lose that revenue...
  3. Dec 15, 2017

Steve79 New Member

I like how they have negated to inform us of the price.
  4. Dec 15, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

I get BT sport discounted so it better work out cheaper as I do have all the Sky channels.
  5. Dec 15, 2017

Smores Full Member

Might be an absorbed cost? I'm sure they're losing a lot of business with their reduced offering.
  6. Dec 15, 2017

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

I already have them both through BT Vision? I didn't think this was a new thing.
  7. Dec 15, 2017

rednotled Full Member

Yeah - I guess they think they'll make more by taking a smaller amount from lots of people.
    May be promising for me then?
  8. Dec 15, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Premier league auctions are up soon. I hope this has a massive effect on that. The silly TV money and subscription fees need to stop.
  9. Dec 15, 2017

cyberman Full Member

I get BT through my Eir broadband package, I will go apeshit if that changes
  10. Dec 15, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

Maybe realised they can't keep bidding against each other and just decided to keep the money train rolling with joint packages?
  11. Dec 15, 2017

Rozay Master of Hindsight

I haven’t paid BT or Sky a penny for two seasons now, and am very happy with my ‘alternative option’ I have found (which I’m sure I’m not allowed to go into detail on).
  12. Dec 15, 2017

careca07 New Member

Did a bit of digging and it doesn't look like this comes into effect until early 2019, so I wouldn't go cancelling anything yet. This is also probably why there's no pricing been announced.
  13. Dec 15, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Isn't it about to get sillier? There's talk of Netflix, Amazon and even Facebook sticking their oars in come the next round bidding.
  14. Dec 15, 2017

arthurka Full Member

Amen to that.. I am not paying 150 £/month to see United.. Thank the maker for the alternative options...
  15. Dec 15, 2017

MrPooni Full Member

The only reason they're combining their efforts is to compete with the likes of Amazon Prime, Twitter and Facebook Watch who will be entering the fray next year.

This is a preliminary agreement for the set of matches that haven't been auctioned off yet. They can't figure out a pricing structure until they know what they've paid.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  16. Dec 15, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

There is always talk. But none of these besides Amazon have the infrastructure to pull it off. It’s always the premier league leaking that so and so is going to join the auction. A few years ago it was Bein.

I highly doubt Facebook will join. It will be costly for them and how beneficial will it actually be.

Netflix have said they not interested in live sports yet.

Amazon have got the tennis rights in the UK from 2019 but that’s only costing £10m per year. They got the NFL rights for Thursdays and that’s costing them £45m per year. The premier league will cost them most likely £10m per match, so it’s not again beneficial to them. They would have to raise the price of prime to absorb the cost.

The premier league also prefer their matches to be via satellite and cable rather than streamed. It allows pubs and places in rural areas to have access.
  17. Dec 15, 2017

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay combined phone-net-TV? That 28 pounds for just one part sports package is outrageous.
  18. Dec 15, 2017

RedStrudel76 New Member

It will.

It looks like FINALLY the bubble is starting to burst at the seam hence why Sky and BT are getting desperate to try to attract customers. They realise more people fancy going down to the local pub to watch a game with a fantastic atmosphere, and cheaper too.

Things will come down in price now.. subscription fees, transfer fees etc it needs to as the current model is unstable. Teams like City was lucky they took advantage before things come down.
  19. Dec 15, 2017

Gareth williams New Member

Supports:
    Everton
    When are we actually going to get a tv package we want. I don't want to watch 200 games a year of which 12 are Everton games. I want to watch 38 to 50 Everton games (depending on Cup runs) and that's it. I simply won't pay for what sky are currently offer and am forced to steam and watch often rubbish quality pics. I'd pay sky's monthly fees for just the Everton games though
  20. Dec 15, 2017

rednotled Full Member

It's £80 for Sky Q (1 main box plus 2 mini-boxes) which includes sports/movies UHD (main box only) and HD
    And then £28 for BT

Here's an explanation of their pricing

BT Sport in SD costs £22.99/month and £27.99/month in HD when buying directly through Sky.
    Subscribing to BT Sport gets you all of the BT channels - BT Sport 1-3, BT Sport ESPN as well as the option of AMC.
    If you have a Sky Multiscreen subscription and you want to be able to watch BT Sport on a second set-top box, you’ll need to pay £6/month.

So I get to watch it in one room only unless I stream it.
    Which I have done but the quality was atrocious so I ended up in the ridiculous situation of streaming it illegally as it was a better quality :rolleyes:
  21. Dec 15, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Do you really want a streaming package per club? Because Everton won’t be getting anywhere near as much TV money as they do now if it was that way.
  22. Dec 15, 2017

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Wouldn't surprise me if BT and Sky join forces on the next round of rights bidding. Apparently Amazon are rumoured to be tabling a bid to blow everyone out of the water.
  23. Dec 15, 2017

ct89 New Member

I would love it if Amazon or Facebook won the next lot of bidding.

Would be great for the league too
  24. Dec 15, 2017

11101 Full Member

They would likely be buying market share to drown the competition and then slowly ratchet up the price, though to nowhere near current levels. That's the model many of the streaming services have been following so far and I really hope it works to sink the likes of Sky. The Premier League rights really wouldn't be that earthshattering to Amazon.
  25. Dec 15, 2017

Big Andy Is really a midget

I just pay Virgin for my internet, and I have IPTV, which costs me £70 a year...
  26. Dec 15, 2017

stevoc Full Member

Thats definitely a possibility especially now that Disney have bought Fox. BT have a partnership with Disney owned Espn and now Disney own most of Sky.
  27. Dec 15, 2017

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    IPTV?
  28. Dec 15, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

It's good that they're doing this as £28 per month for a few sports channels is an absolute rip off. I pay for Sky because I got a really good deal for it but don't have BT so I just use reddit/acestream for games that are on BT or not aired in the UK. But I might have a look at some other options and just cancel Sky all together when the contract ends.
  29. Dec 15, 2017

Gareth williams New Member

Supports:
    Everton

That's what I want to watch. They show all the English games in other countries. Until that's on offer they don't have a product I'm remotely interested in. I genuinely haven't watched a full non Everton game this season or probably last. What use are 175 games I won't watch and then still missing 75% of my teams games
  30. Dec 15, 2017

jontheblue Full Member

Supports:
    MCFC
    I think you have to be careful what you wish for

No doubt that BT & Sky are teaming up in an attempt to beat the rumoured big money bids from Amazon, netflix, facebook but look at what happened when BT won PL rights, which was a result of a law theoretically brought in to protect consumers by breaking up a monopoly. Instead, we all end up paying more because we all pay BT & Sky instead of just one provider. It's actually been disastrous for the consumer

So if say Amazon get the rights to some PL games but BT/Sky keep a load too, we are back in the same position. Actually, historically, I believe we were better as fans when Sky owned the lot. I also think Sky just do sports very well. My other big passion is motorsport and an awful lot of motorsport fans are not football fans, so they had relatively little experience of Sky before Sky bought F1 rights and were very worried when it happened. But begrudgingly, most will now readily admit the coverage and apps are simply superb.
  31. Dec 15, 2017

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

The fact that there's still no NFL GamePass equivalent for Premier League is a shambles. I guess I'm part of the problem though as I subscribe to both Sky TV and BT Sport and have done for years :(
  32. Dec 15, 2017

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

Yeah I refuse to pay full price for BT. It's a disgrace and Jake Humphreys is a twat.

Managed to get a half price deal for 12 months on groupon, which I can semi-justify.

I do think the current model of how we view football is in dire need of a change and needs modernising.
  33. Dec 15, 2017

jontheblue Full Member

Supports:
    MCFC
    excuse my ignorance, what's a gamepass ? is that for literally every game in the PL, or a club related pass for every game the club you follow plays ?

I heard briefly on the radio today something about a bigger %age of PL games being on TV as part of the next offering. I guess it's inevitable that eventually, every game will be. Whether that's overall good for the game, I'm not sure - I can see +ves & -ves especially depending what type of club you support
  34. Dec 15, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Not sure I would want to just watch one teams games. I like watching most football, so wouldn't want to be restricted to Manchester United. It would just be their way of getting you to fork out extra to watch the other big games. I also enjoy watching la liga, so would that be even more money. Just put it back on BBC/ITV you robbers. What do we pay a TV licence for. Christmas TV this year is crap. I am on a rant.
  35. Dec 15, 2017

Number1 New Member

I agree BT has been a disaster for UK football/sport fans. Can't watch as much football anymore, can't watch Champions League anymore, can't even watch UFC anymore and Sky prices still keep going up.

If Netflix/Amazon get involved, their prices will go up Sky will never reduce theirs and the UK football fans could end up paying to 3 or 4 different subscription packages from different companies to watch the same number of games when Sky controlled it all.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  36. Dec 15, 2017

MrPooni Full Member

For reference, I have the same setup but I'm paying £59 a month for Sky Q Silver plus 2 minis and £15 for BT Sports HD with multiscreen. The trick is to call retentions and threaten to cancel every year or so.
  37. Dec 15, 2017

PoTMS Full Member

What is said alternative option? So I can report it to the authorities obviously.
  38. Dec 15, 2017

Hugh Jass Full Member

Does this mean I wont be able to pay for BT anymore (will i just have to pay for sky?). I pay 250 euro for BT. I dont pay for sky.
  39. Dec 15, 2017

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Reckon I would pay £50 a month just to see all of United games in clear HD. I’d be fine with clubs having their own TV deals for that reason. Given the age of sugar daddy’s I reckon the league will remain as competitive as it is now.
  40. Dec 15, 2017

rednotled Full Member

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised they could be negotiated that far down!