Sky Bet League One 2019/20

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by P-Ro, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Jun 28, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
    [​IMG]

The upcoming League One season is already shaping up to be a memorable one and I thought the league deserves a thread of its own.

Currently Bury are having some tough preseason fixtures away to HM Revenue & Customs in the High Court with Bolton suffering a similar defeat in May. It looks like both clubs will start the season with -12 points due to EFL rules on insolvency.

Sunderland continue to make Mike Ashley's Newcastle look comptetent by losing the EFL trophy on penalties and the play off final with the last kick of the game. The second season of Sunderland Till I Die should be essential viewing for all football fans and will hopefully shine a light on how competetive this league really is.

There are a fair few North Western teams in the league this season with Bury, Rochdale & Bolton being in Greater Manchester and Tranmere, Accrington, Blackpool and Fleetwood in the surrounding area.

The betting markets are saying that Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth are favourites for promotion. Unsurpisingly the betting markets also have financially stricken Bury & Bolton to go down, along with Accrington and Wimbledon.

List of League One teams in full:

Accrington Stanley
    AFC Wimbledon
    Blackpool
    Bolton Wanderers
    Bristol Rovers
    Burton Albion
    Bury
    Coventry City
    Doncaster Rovers
    Fleetwood Town
    Gillingham
    Ipswich Town
    MK
    Lincoln City
    Oxford United
    Peterborough United
    Portsmouth
    Rochdale
    Rotherham United
    Shrewsbury Town
    Southend United
    Sunderland
    Tranmere Rovers
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Jun 29, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

@P-Ro My brother in law is a Womble and he won't even refer to them as "MK". They're "the Franchise" to him in every conversation I've had with him.

He and my two nephews have season tickets (they stand just behind the home dugout) and I usually go to a couple of games a season.
  3. Jun 29, 2019

NYAS Full Member

4. Jun 29, 2019

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I fear for my local team, Wycombe. I think we will go down this season.
  5. Jun 29, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    Yea, I was being kind to them in the OP. I either occupy one of the two family season ticket seats in the Paul Strank (main stand) or I go and stand behind the dugout next to the opposition fans. I get to about 10 home games a season. Give me a PM when you next go because chances are that I'll be there too.
  6. Jun 29, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Oldham are in the OP but aren't in the league
  7. Jun 29, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    I'm always pretty unimpressed when I see Wycombe play but you've done what you needed to do in the last few seasons. In our last game I suspect Akinfenwa didn't try as hard as he normally does because you were basically safe and we really needed those 3 points. He went up in my estimation following that game.
  8. Jun 29, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    Good spot Mini-Me, I meant to put Rochdale.
  9. Jun 29, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

By definition you're a mini me, my name's longer
  10. Jun 29, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    @Sandikan

Realistically there are only two relegation spots in play this year as Bury have come up in serious financial issues (seems to happen to them every few years and no manager appointed) and Bolton are already on -12 and barely have a first team squad. Guess that could changed quickly if this takeover finally goes through next week but uphill struggle for them.

Enjoyed my trip to Wycombe last season, nice ground in a very nice part of the World.

Sadly I can't contribute much to this thread as I part follow Walsall and they are now in the pit of league 2 after over a decade in league one. Can give tips on the best and worst grounds of this division though for anyone who fancies watching a game.
  11. Jun 29, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

For throwing a game?
    I was at that game and he certainly didn't throw anything.

Having said that it's such a shocking view as an away fan at your ground...
  12. Jun 29, 2019

No team in at least the last five years that has been promoted to league one has gone straight back down.
    But the next season is the real test.

Wycombe have a bare squad at the moment.
    We're relying on loanees that we'll pick up late doors to pad the squad out.
    So it could go either way.

Akinfenwa the big man is still a bit too important to our style of play.

Bolton and bury might well start -12 which is a big blow but i wouldn't say it guarantees anything yet.
  13. Jun 29, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    You've still got most of the defenders contracted for another year (Jombati, Jason McCarthy, Joe Jacobson etc) and Allsop isn't a bad keeper at this level. Don't think your defensive record was that bad last year, certainly not after xmas.

Just need to find a few younger forwards to do Adebayo's running, thought Scott kashket was going to be really good striker a few years back but his progress has stalled with injuries.
  14. Jun 30, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    @Sandikan Akinfenwa has to be the most frustrating footballer I've watched. Not because of anything he's done mind but because of the 'fouls' he gives away in the opposition box. The bloke just stands there still and defenders just flop about and go down like he's poleaxed them. I'd understand it if he was jossling and putting his weight about but its often just him standing his ground not even touching the players who go down. League One refs...
  15. Jun 30, 2019

That's it. While he does do some shoving and gets away with a few, he's certainly massively more sinned against.
    You'll have guys literally holding him and his short will be up by his shoulders and being pinned down and the ref allows it. As if like they feel sorry for the defender
  16. Jun 30, 2019

Mccarthy is a strong league one player. Jombati surprised us by playing so well as he is a right back really.
    Jacobsen is a top guy but getting a bit exposed pace wise now.

Gape and Thompson in centre mid were our key axis. But gape is out of contract and we have no chance of keeping. Portsmouth is the rumour but we'll see.

Kortney hause going to villa was good as we'll have a sell on. Only 3m was a blow though. Young English defender moving from champ to prem for only 3m!
  17. Jul 12, 2019

DavidDeSchmikes Full Member

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...football-league-approval-transfer-embargo-efl

:houllier:
  18. Jul 13, 2019

P-Ro Full Member

Supports:
    [​IMG]
    Bury's friendly today. Shouldn't laugh but... :lol::lol: