Solskjaer | Back him or sack him?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Mcking, May 12, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay Full Member

Leave the man alone, he ain’t going anywhere, let him get a few players in, we need some much needed refreshing and he seems to be up for it.

Our rumored targets are all pointing to quite a good direction, pretty exciting players, so let him get a couple in, more than a few out, work with them over the summer and see where we’re at in October.

He deserves at least that, just a real chance.
    The team was obviously emotionally drained post-Jose, let him have the summer.
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. May 14, 2019

Lee565 Full Member

If the arguments against sacking Solskjear is that the players are at fault for whatever reason or that he should be allowed to bring his own players in no matter how poor he has been then the logic to those arguments is that you are saying that you would have given the full time role straight away because those 2 arguments suggested means Solskjear would be blameless for whatever form we have had when he took over.

The other being Sacking him now is crazy to change managers so quickly but he was suppose to be a caretaker manager so again the suggestion being made is that Solskjear should have been given the full time role straight away as the other option was we were going to have to change managers at the end of the season anyway.
  3. May 14, 2019

Not necessarily, during his time here as a caretaker manager, people around the club, probably SAF too, identified that OGS is ready and has enough knowledge in football to take on such a job.
    It ain’t all about results, it couldn’t be, the situation was way too complicated to judge him solely on results.

I suppose he was identified as the man with the closest vision to what the people who are in charge share towards the future of the club.
  4. May 14, 2019

USREDEVIL New Member

We have to back him. The reality is that he just signed a deal and United aren't likely to dump him. I'm hoping all of the "good rumors" are true. He will get rid of most of the deadwood, he'll sign young and talented players like Sancho, and that we will play a fast attacking and pressing game that I think we saw in his first few games. If all of this is true I have no problem even if we only get to fourth place next season. I'm hoping we have hit rock bottom.
  5. May 14, 2019

soaphroniscuss New Member

1. You don't need resources to affect the team.
  6. May 14, 2019

soaphroniscuss New Member

The rest are not human :eek: ?
  7. May 14, 2019

Lexxxzi New Member

First of all, this must be the least well-put sentence I have read in years... Secondly, you just show that you do not understand the arguments put forward here. Solskjaer isn't blameless. However, it is clear as day that Solskjaer is not the main problem here. The obvious (!) problems have been explained numerous times now, by numerous people, I might as well just summarize them:

1. The players were not, and I repeat, not physically prepared for Solskjaer type of football (because they had a differently focused pre-season under Jose), so the '4-3-3-high pressure-run as much as you can' approach had to be abandoned. The style caused several injuries, and the players just weren't capable of doing it.

2. The players themselves just aren't good enough. This one is painfully obvious to anyone with a minor understanding of the game.

3. The leaders of the football club have acted, and still acts, incompently in various ways. This is not just a matter of recent times, but has been a pattern for several years now.
  8. May 14, 2019

OoopsMisclick New Member

sack ole, get someone with a philosphy we can get behind.
    Tuchel might face the sack, i rather have him
  9. May 14, 2019

Tuchel couldn’t even win a double in a farmers league, with the best front three in Europe.
    His teams play nice football but that’s not enough to be the manager of Man United at this point.
  10. May 14, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Love that.

What's enough to be United manager at this point?

A guy who relegated Cardiff, couldn't even win the title the last 4-5 years in a league much worse than that farmers league and just got in the worst streak since before Fergie?

Why should we give Ole a chance, based on 14 games? Talk about knee jerk..
  11. May 14, 2019

Steerpike Full Member

Big Ron was already on borrowed time after the previous season (famously finishing fourth in a one horse race), and a poor start to the 1986-7 season sealed his fate. The decision to sack him had presumably been made quite some time before the actual event, and it would have been that period between the decision and the event that the club had a dialogue with Fergie, almost certainly with the consent of Aberdeen. What your suggesting regarding Ole is very different - he is presumably still trusted with the job and not on borrowed time. Talking to other potential managers at this point would be very disrespectful and would undermine his authority. Do you think Liverpool are talking to potential successors to Klopp, or Spurs doing the same regarding Pocchetino?

There are also rules prohibiting tapping up other clubs' managers (remember Watford's complaints over Everton's approaches to Marco Silva). So, unless the potential Ole replacements are currently out of work, we'd be slaughtered for approaching them anyway.
  12. May 14, 2019

Cardozo New Member

Players need sacked not Ole.

Even if you really blame Ole, you need to sack every member of the coaching team with him because they’re all responsible for the tactics / training.

I don’t think they’ve had a chance yet. Either through silly individual mistakes that led to goals against us (numerous), injuries to key players (eg. martial), poor player form, player ability in certain areas.

Our right back options are limited, our centre back options aren’t working. Our midfield is unbalanced without Matic and we have no width in the team other than playing Lukaku and Rashford our there.

Add to it the clear boardroom problems with contracts expiring and inflated salary of Sanchez (who has been fecking useless) ruining the ‘team’ mentality and moral.

It was a poison chalice to take it and I’d rather have Ole run the team than another journeyman. We’ve tried sourcing some of the best managers on the market. If it’s still shit come October then I’ll change my mind.

At the moment, it’s firmly on the players.
  13. May 14, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Come on mate, you're not seriously comparing OGS with Klopp or Pochettino are you? They're about to contest the CL final!

OGS must be on borrowed time after the run we've been on. We've been in relegation form for the past two months. He'll get the first half of next season to turn things around but the board must have doubts now.
  14. May 14, 2019

At this point I’d trust Ole more than the guy won the league in France with PSG.
    Ole coached here, knows the club as good as you possibly can, proven to the people above him that his knowledge of the game is high enough for that level, O haven’t seen him do massive mistakes tactically, seen him do good things tactically, we were set up well enough in most cases.

Not saying he’s the most fitting man for the job or anything like that, but he hasn’t been given a real chance yet.
    Out situation has proven to be to complicated even for Jose and LvG.

Give him time, relax and let’s see where we at in October.
  15. May 14, 2019

tjb Full Member

Blaming Ole is crazy at this point since most of us already knew what the issues were to begin with. Ole came in, masked some of these issues and injuries forced him into a situation mourinho has found himself in often. There are several issues in the squad.

1. Lack of quality- this is the obvious issue. When you watch the former united teams, the first thing you notice is the fluidity and lack of hesitation in the play. This hesitation has been a feature of our play since the latter end of Fergies tenure, and its no coincidence that it came with the signings of Jones, Smalling, Young and Valencia. Its a lack of ability to make quick decisions, and has hurt us both defensively and in attack, as we are always forced to attack against set defences. We need to replace these areas in our first xi- right back, right wing, centre midfield and we need a centre back. The next two to three windows will need us to replace players in these positions, and sell players that lack ability on the ball. Players like Vidic and Neville were actually good on the ball, moreso than people remember.

2. Fitness- We have massive issues with fitness in the squad. We suffered with fitness issues in Mourinho seasons, and this season was no different. There is clearly something wrong in the fitness levels of the players, and this has to be addressed in preseason, considering how long our seasons are.

3. Depth- One of the most frightening things that occured this season was how poor we looked with Ole after the international break where some of the inital first team players got injured. Smalling coming back into the first 11 brought a halt to how quickly the ball moved into the attacking areas, Lukaku returning led to an end in our pressing game. Herrera and Matic getting injured brought an end to the intensity in midfield. It is not a coincidence that this occured, and is an area where we need to focus on in the next few windows after this initial one.

Ole has a big job to do, but I think he is more willing to do it than any other manager we have had since Sir Alex. Both Mourinho and Van Gaal were looking to enhance their legacies, and would force through short term fixes or consistently failing philosophies to enhance their star, but Ole is the only one of these managers that I truly feel cares about the club and its well being, and would be willing to do what it takes to get us back to where we need to be. We have the money, we have the infrastructure, we have some talent, and we have some youthful players coming through, so there are pieces to work with. He just needs patience from the fans and support from the boardroom.
  16. May 14, 2019

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Not anti Scotish, just posted a lot against Moyes.
    :lol: true though..

He isnt even Everton level material. And I mean that. There is no way Everton would even think of giving him the job.
  17. May 14, 2019

Steerpike Full Member

No, I'm not suggesting in any way that his achievements match those of Klopp and Pochettino, just that he has exactly the same status with his employer as they do with theirs (i.e. in post, no current intention to make a change). It would therefore be no more appropriate for the United board to be making approaches to other potential managers than it would be for the boards at Liverpool or Spurs (or any other club that hasn't already decided to part company with its manager).

You can't pretend to back the manager while privately conniving at getting a replacement on board. They are either backing him, in which case covert converstions with other candidates are both pointless and against FA/UEFA rules (assuming candidates are currently working at other clubs), or they are not backing him, in which case they may as well front up now to avoid wasting what looks like being a busy transfer window.

Regarding OGS being on borrowed time, the fact remains that he has not yet had the opportunity to affect the team in terms of squad composition, and he has not had a pre-season with the squad to work on fitness levels and tactics. All we can say for sure is that he achieved a short term improvement with a squad which was not fit for purpose, and had already brought about the demise of the previous manager, but was not able to sustain it, perhaps because the players were not as fit as they should have been. The board clearly decided they'd seen enough positives to entrust him with the job, and in fact he has probably delivered more than was expected of him. The tailing off in performances at the end of the season is more indicative of the amount of work there is to do prior to next season than it is of Ole's credentials as a manager.
  18. May 15, 2019

Treble99-United New Member

I agree it's those heartless mercenary players we have are at fault. Especially the deadwood players who were signed by Fergie.

I bet you any money, there will be no major changes to the squad and the opening match for next season, those muppets Jones and Smalling will be playing.

It's time to protest like the Arsenal fans did but with more class and stick together.

Or expect city and Looserpools to be untouchables for the next decade or so.
  19. May 15, 2019

Yakuza_devils Full Member

Just a thought, if other manager was in Ole position without any ties to the club and with the run of worst results in the history of man utd, will he still get the backing like Ole? And if yes, based on what exactly to back him when he has no track records and the on field performance is one of the worst ever seen in the club history.
  20. May 15, 2019

slir32 Full Member

City went through so many managers but all of them used most of City's core squad because they bought quality. So United can fully back Ole with quality players and if Ole is not good enough then another manager will come but those players we bought are still quality and a new manager will be able to use them.
  21. May 15, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

Anyone know whether or not Klopp persisted with pressing in his 1st season seeing as they weren't his players?

My problem with this reason is that after it was clear the pragmatic approach was no longer working, why not go back to what worked?
  22. May 15, 2019

dogrob Full Member

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
    Does anybody honestly believe that a manager of note would come to United after seeing both Van Gaal and Mourinho fail and get sacked and the way that the club is run?

Whether for better or worse Ole has the job so back him setup up a modern system and let's see what happens, United will not be competing at top level for a while and to do so fundamental changes are needed.
  23. May 15, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

IIRC he persisted with pressing and they also had many long term injuries, that season and next season.

I also think their fitness levels wasn't anywhere near ours, we are worst in the league for 3 seasons.
  24. May 15, 2019

Jairdinho New Member

He has been terrible. The team needed a change after Jose and they responded with a new energy that gave us some results. But you could see in the Spurs and Liverpool game that he had the same bus license as Jose. He can’t make a decent sub for the life of him and Rashford under his reign has turned into a poor mans version of Jaimy Vardy.

The only reason people want him to stay are his ties with the club any other manager would have been scolded out of Old Trafford.

We as fans have to stop giving everyone a chance and have to start demanding the best of a club that are supposedley the biggest in the world
  25. May 15, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

That's what is called "Player Power"mate. We have seen it at Arsenal, Chelsea, and now here.
    It's not Ole's fault, it started during Mourinho's time and players threw him under the bus. They then played for 11/12 games for Ole, and went back into their "not bothered mode".
    These players will have to be rooted out and got rid of before they ruin other players coming in. If this can be achieved quickly we will see much better results and better football played.

Give Ole the chance. This is his first window to make a statement.
  26. May 15, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

So they stopped being bothered at the very point that they reached the last 8 of the CL and finishing in the top 4 of the PL became likely? Sorry, I don't buy it. Clearly some of the players are not up to standard, and fitness is part of the story - but the desire to absolve OGS from any blame whatsoever is crazy. Our current form is the worst for 60 years. Part of a managers job is to organise, motivate and improve the players that are already at the club, yet lots of people are saying he can't be judged till next season?
  27. May 15, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

Picking up on my post above are there any players that we can genuinely say improved under the 5 months they have spent being managed and coached by OGS and his staff? Pogba certainly did initially - but I don't think that anyone could argue that was anything more than him suddenly deciding to put in a bit effort to 'prove' Mourinho wrong, and by the end of the season he had well and truly reverted to type. Rashford had a brief spell where he looked better - but has been as bad as I've ever seen him over the last couple of months. Shaw won player of the year, but arguably his form was better under Mourinho in the first half of the season. Lindelof looked good under both managers. Other than that Fred looked OK, but given that he wasn't even picked by Mourinho anything was going to be an improvement on nothing. Martial looks more disinterested under Ole than he even did before, and Lukaku - who you might have expected to benefit from being managed/coached by an ex-striker looks like his confidence has gone completely. Lingard appalling, Sanchez appalling, Young worse than he's ever been. And then really that only leaves McTominay, who was the guy that Mourinho identified and plucked from the reserves himself.

Am I missing anyone? And if not then isn't that slightly worrying?
  28. May 15, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Why would seeing Van Gaal and Mourinho being sacked deter managers from coming here and wanting to come here?

They got sacked after failing at their jobs. They didn't win league titles and get sacked.
  29. May 15, 2019

Safa Boy Full Member

Why are you so sure that Ole is going to waste money on bad signings? I think at the very least he'll sign players who actually want to play for the club and who are willing to give everything for the club and their teammates. I'm sure you would agree that the club is in desperate need of such players. As for your reference to the last two months, I agree that we've been poor and as manager he has to take some responsibility for that along with the players. That said, he should also get a lot of credit for the good period we had before that. Personally, I saw enough back then to support him going into a new season. In any case, I think any permanently appointed manager should at least get a full transfer window and more importantly a proper preseason before people start talking about the sack.
  30. May 15, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

31. May 15, 2019

Lexxxzi New Member

First I want to say, I have had enough of your negative, unsubstantiated posts regarding Solskjaer. Stop it.

Unfortunately, the players Solskjaer signed at Cardiff weren't up to it, this is true. However, at Molde he basically built a whole new team based on the players he wanted. The success was primarily a result of the players he brought in. It's all relative; to discount the Molde success is ridiculous. The norwegian league is underrated, as well. It is better than the scottish league, by far (Celtic is marginally better than Molde). Apart from Ajax and PSV, the norwegian league is on par with Eredivisie.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  32. May 15, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

This is discussion board. Everyone has the right to express it. Negative or not.

As for Norwegian league being as good as Eredivisie I will leave it there.
  33. May 15, 2019

StrettyEnder07 Full Member

Finally a bit of sense, refreshing not to hear sack him after 6 months. Guy hasn't even had a chance and people are wanting rid.

I would imagine the same people who went crazy that McTominay was given a new contract but were then raving about him after PSG/Barca
  34. May 15, 2019

Wolff New Member

Best and most level headed post I’ve read on here. You wonder how some think football works. If it’s like a switch. Man Utd had a massive injuries to the squad. It fell apart after that. It’s a project that needs time. If not given time, it will get worse.
  35. May 15, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Have we not suffered enough with Mr. Philosophies ? Tuchel can Feck off..
  36. May 15, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Agree with everything mostly, apart from the bold part. Matic should be no where near the team he's done!
  37. May 15, 2019

dogrob Full Member

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
    Correct but with the system in place at United it doesn't matter who is in charge unless change is made they will fail. Even your Klopps and Guardiolas would fail because United wouldn't/haven't backed the manager's as the above have been backed at Liverpool and City and I am not talking about throwing money around left, rights and center but fundamental changes as to how the club is run.
  38. May 15, 2019

Ziggy Starduster New Member

I think OGS would be gone if the club were going to sack him following the end of season run in. I can’t see a scenario now where he’d be sacked other than Poch saying he wants the job and leaves Spurs (not happening), or players flattery refuse to join because he is a manager (again, highly unlikely).

So the club have no choice but to back him. Even Woodward and Co must realise that this team can’t perform under his ways so there is little option but to support him.
    Whatever happens with OGS (I fear he’ll be gone by December), the players we sell and buy must be based on a long term view to a playing style that supports OGS and managers beyond.

Lukaku is a fine example of this process. You either play a formation that suit him or we don’t. There is little in between.
    Pointless selling Lukaku to only appoint a manager like a Conti in a few months.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  39. May 15, 2019

StrettyEnder07 Full Member

Absolutely spot on mate! You are preaching to the choir mate, all I have been getting is shite for wanting to give Ole a chance, some melts on here.
  40. May 15, 2019

Catt Ole's at the wheel!

Sorry for going off topic.

You can put whoever you want on ignore, nobody cares. I didn't really have a better response because you seemed angry, but I'm sure you're a fine poster though.