Solskjaer | Back him or sack him?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Mcking, May 12, 2019.

1. May 15, 2019

Cardozo New Member

Yeah, I agree based on this season.

Separately, in thinking about it more, I honestly cannot believe we have the highest wage bill in the world. When I could only name 2 players (pogba and de gea) as being in the world class category and a bunch of squad players that bring nothing.

That says everything you need to know about the hidden element to the poor performance of this team. Over inflated salaries and not interested in succeeding.

Half of them would rather release a new t-shirt or perfume and maybe that's United's fault for fostering this advertising and merchandise focus.
  2. May 15, 2019

starman Full Member

Yup and you seemed self righteous by your assumptions.

I am sure you're also a fine poster aswell most of the time.
  3. May 15, 2019

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Massimiliano Allegri.He has apparently told his close friends that he needs a new challenge....When Pavel Nedved was asked about whether Allegri will still be manager next season,he said “let’s wait and see”.He would be a much better alternative....

Antonio Conte still hasn’t signed a contract with any club.Hes streets ahead of Ole in every way,shape and form....

Carlo Ancelotti could be tempted to come back to English football.Hes in a job right now but he’s attainable if we seriously try....

All these managers are much much much better alternatives than Ole...
  4. May 15, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Imagine JLingz happening infront of Roy Keane :lol:, He got kicked out the club for saying Darren Fletcher was shite (when he was a good squad player and gave his all in the big games especially). What would he say about these imposters? Probably be arrested for GBH!
  5. May 15, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

I agree. They were all saying they wanted him to get the job as well. Something must have happened behind the scenes that we'll probably never know about.
  6. May 15, 2019

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Not anti Scotish, just posted a lot against Moyes.
    The Norwegian league isnt underrated its rubish. And saying its on par with the Dutch league is laughable. And Ole hasnt won the league with molde since 2012.
  7. May 15, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Great post. There's no way OGS is going now. As you say, the only way it might happy is if Poch said he'd come, and there's no way he will.

Hard to know how much we should back him though. If we give him a huge amount of money to spend and it backfires, we're in an even worse situation than we are now.
  8. May 15, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

But this is our modus operandi.
  9. May 15, 2019

Catt Ole's at the wheel!

We're good then ;)
  10. May 15, 2019

Gandalf Greyhame Full Member Scout

In a tree, spying on the next opposition.
    Pretty much this.

I don't believe Ole is as good as Pep, Klopp, Poch or even Emery. But I do believe he fits our needs the most - he understands the rot like no other manager did, he knows what kind of players to get to build for our future, and he has the right intentions about the type of football we play. There are many issues littered in our club from top to bottom, not even SAF himself could have fixed it single-handedly right now. But we need to start somewhere instead of papering over the cracks, and I have full faith in Ole in terms of clearing out the deadwood and signing players with the right mentality.

Even in the likely scenario he doesn't succeed, I am hoping that he would have corrected the foundations to some extent for the next manager to build upon. We need to have patience and faith that as a United player who's seen it all, Ole will know how to fix the squad with the right mentality players.
  11. May 15, 2019

Yakuza_devils Full Member

If u asked any United fans in the beginning of the season which manager will be most qualified to be in charge of our major rebuild after sacking Jose, not in a million year even one Man Utd supporter will name Ole as the manager to lead the rebuild.

It's absolutely madness we are in this situation now where we can't sack him because he has performed well in the first 15 games! The club is really in a mess. We still do not have a DOF and trust the major rebuild to a rookie Manager. This appointment is potentially going to be worse than Moyes.
  12. May 15, 2019

John Blund Full Member

Good thing we didn't ask any United fans, then.

I will agree that it's totally mental having the Ole, the Cardiff flop, as our main man when we're rebuilding. At the same time, he shipped Fellaini out in less than a month. Not my kind of player, and any managers that agree with me on that, I'm happy to follow.
    Lukaku - not my preferred striker, apparently not Ole's favorite striker either.
    I still have an issue with Young taking all our corners.
  13. May 15, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

In fairness, Woodward doesn't seem to give a shit so I think he would replace him if pressure grew over the summer

Also, if we are signing the right type of players (young, fast, technical) even if they don't work out they have resale value. Our issue recently is signing absolute husks who have 1 or 2 years before they kick the bucket (an exaggeration but you get it!)
  14. May 15, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Yep, agree.
  15. May 15, 2019

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

16. May 16, 2019 at 10:52

Safa Boy Full Member

17. May 16, 2019 at 10:58

Enigma_87 You know who

Just pointing out his previous transfer record. Make what you will.
  18. May 16, 2019 at 12:09

SteveW Full Member

I fully believe he's going to fix the culture and get us back on track. Seems like I'm one of the only ones who thinks so. So be it. This will be a good thread to quote down the line.
  19. May 16, 2019 at 12:11

TRUERED89 New Member

I hope it can be quoted, I'm behind him but its 50/50 at the moment! On whether he'll make us #1 again, the summer is going to give us a decent indication.
  20. May 16, 2019 at 12:17

romufc New Member

I am behind him and feelings are 50/50 too due to the fact that he is stating the right things in terms of getting back to outrunning opponents, attacking football. I really hope we see 5/6 decent signings and good football. The fans will take a 4th place finish with decent cup run if we see progress in terms of football. The last thing I would like to see is a poor window, and we scrap in games, De Gea bailing us etc..
  21. May 16, 2019 at 12:20

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    If i was Ed Woodward, I'd back him as long as his idea of football isn't just counter attack, counter attack, counter attack.
  22. May 16, 2019 at 12:26

mark_a Full Member

I want us, as a club, to have a plan. To have ambition. The club needs to be trying to get a top level manager. Nothing to do with Ole not being one, he might be the best we can do right now, but it feels as though the good plan to appoint him as caretaker has collapsed into us having already appointed him as manager, with no other signs or communications from the club that things are being sorted out.

Or, having made the plan, the club needs to be backing Ole, and that means with structure, staff, direction..everything else, not just cash for players. That goes without saying. Part of that plan is a strategy for signing players
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:34
  23. May 16, 2019 at 12:26

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Can you compile / list the transfers so it's viewable without clicking link mate?
  24. May 16, 2019 at 12:32

In Rainbows Full Member

You say that, but everyone who believes that also believes that Young and Jones will stay. In other words, he won't get rid of the rot. The same rot that has been here since Moyes, which then got Moyes sacked. The same rot that was there for LVG, who then got sacked. And the same rot that was there for Mou, who was the last to get sacked. They've been there for Ole's crap period too.
  25. May 16, 2019 at 12:35

Enigma_87 You know who

Sure, mate:

7. Magnus Wolff Eikrem - Molde
    Solskjaer’s first three signings at the Cardiff City Stadium were all players he knew well from his time managing in Norway with Molde. The first of those three was Magnus Wolff Eikrem, who Solskjaer has managed on four different occasions during his short managerial career. The first of those came in youth and reserve football at Manchester United, where Solskjaer coached and Eikrem began his career.

Both player and manager moved to Molde in 2011, where Eikrem’s impressive playmaking abilities saw him called up to the national team. Cardiff paid a reported £3.5 million to bring him to Wales as Solskjaer’s first recruit, but Eikrem struggled to make any kind of impact. He registered just 6 Premier League appearances, and following moves to Malmo and the Seattle Sounders, he reunited with Solskjaer at Molde in 2018.

6. Mats Moller Daehli - St Pauli
    Another player Solskjaer had in his youth ranks as a coach at Manchester United and as a manager at Molde, Mats Moller Daehli was just 18 when he joined Cardiff City for a reported £2.4 million in January 2014. At the time of the move, Daehli was already a full international, and Solskjaer claimed Manchester United had wanted to re-sign the midfielder at the time but he had chosen Cardiff instead. He featured more regularly than Eikrem, but he too struggled to make a real impact and was soon on his way. Still only 23 years of age, Daehli is currently impressing in Germany’s second tier with St Pauli, and could still have a bright future ahead of him.

5. Jo Inge Berget - Malmo
    The last of the trio of Norwegian internationals signed by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from his former club Molde in January 2014, Jo Inge Berget played his youth football for Udinese rather than Manchester United. A tireless frontman often deputised on the left flank, Berget partnered former Watford striker Odion Ighalo up front during his time in the Udinese U20 team. Having bagged 22 goals in 86 games for Molde, Berget registered just two appearances and failed to score in his single half-season with the Bluebirds. Now aged 28, Berget recently joined Malmo for a second time, having just spent one season playing for New York City FC in the MLS.

4. Kenwyne Jones - Retired
    A little bit more of an experienced signing by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Kenwyne Jones had turned out for the likes of Southampton, Sunderland and Stoke in the Premier League before arriving at Cardiff. A popular figure at both Sunderland and Stoke, Jones was a little inconsistent during his time in Cardiff, and he was said to be among the club’s top earners following relegation to the Championship. The big Trinidadian centre-forward, who was a particular menace in the air, went on to sign for Atlanta United in the MLS, but he retired after just a single season aged 32 in 2017.

3. Fabio - Nantes

A Premier League title winner who started in the 2011 Champions League final, Brazilian left-back Fabio didn’t feature as regularly at Manchester United as his twin brother Rafael, but he still racked up over half a century of appearances. However, having been sent off in his final appearance for the club under David Moyes, the Red Devils were happy to sanction a £1.5 million deal for the full-back to join Cardiff. Fabio spent two-and-a-half years in south Wales, where he registered 68 appearances, before being sold for a profit to Middlesbrough. The 28-year-old is now playing top flight football in France with Nantes, whilst his brother Rafael also turns out in Ligue 1 with Lyon.

2. Wilfried Zaha - Crystal Palace

We don’t usually count loan deals in these kinds of videos, but since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer brought in exactly seven players during his time in the Premier League with Cardiff, and we are of course HITC Sevens, it seemed rude not to. The fourth former Manchester United player in this seven, Wilfried Zaha was contracted to United when he joined the Bluebirds on-loan, but he was never at Old Trafford at the same time as Solskjaer.

The now Ivorian international’s confidence had taken a whack following his move to United, where he was Sir Alex Ferguson’s final signing, and he didn’t make much of an impression during his 13 appearances on-loan at Cardiff. The 26-year-old seems to have undergone some real character building since then though, and he’s now the main man at Crystal Palace, and one of the most dangerous players in the bottom half of the Premier League.

1. Cala - Las Palmas

A centre-back who won the Europa League as a bit-part player with Sevilla the season before he signed for Cardiff, Juan Torres Ruiz - better known as Cala - lasted less than 12 months in the Welsh capital. A steady centre-back with good technique during his time in Spain, the most notable incident of Cala’s brief stay in Britain was a red card he received for pulling back Connor Wickham when the striker was through on goal. Now aged 29, Cala recently had an equally brief stint in China, but is now back in Spain - or the Canary Islands at least - playing in the Segunda Division with Las Palmas.
  26. May 16, 2019 at 12:39

Lexxxzi New Member

You haven't pointed out a thing. Take a look into his transfer record at Molde, and don't come with the nonsense of "the norwegian league is appalling". The norwegian league is on par with Eredivisie (except from Ajax and PSV). Molde, Rosenborg, Odd and Brann, for instance, would place in the upper part of the table in Eredivisie. Molde won their group stage against Ajax, Fenerbahce and Celtic and won against all them in the EL. Also, this is actually irrelevant, as it is all relative.
  27. May 16, 2019 at 12:53

Jim Beam Full Member

Yep, it is really worrying how he will spend the funds as we don't have any proof of him being good at this level of market.

Then again the alternative is for Glazers to collect more money, so not really a tough choice

But to hire manager like Ole without elite DoF behind him and give him huge money is borderline crazy.
  28. May 16, 2019 at 12:55

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Great job here
  29. May 16, 2019 at 13:01

OleTheGreat New Member

cannot and should not judge him based on a season that Jose clearly left us hanging about. At least Ole has come in and brought some smiles. Yes, i agree he couldn't get the job done but that's not a reason to blame him. He always knew that this team had a crash before and that would resurface at some point. I'm sure he'll work with Ed and bring in some quality players. It'll take sometime before we get back to winning the title ways though.

As a United all i ask for is some positive football and possession based football next season.
  30. May 16, 2019 at 13:08

Enigma_87 You know who

I'm not really familiar with his transfer record at Molde, but please do share if you have insight on it.

Norwegian league is crap IMO. Ajax just played SF in the CL and I'll leave it there in regards to compare it with Eredivisie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_football_clubs_in_European_competitions

here's how Norwegian teams fared in Europe.

Regularly taken out by teams from Cyprus, Belarus, Greece, Wales even Faroe Islands.

One things comes to mind that he brings players he has worked with. Wonder if he would also try something like that at United (say Zaha).

Still Woody would probably pull the strings on the transfer market, so I wouldn't hold my breath until we have a proper DoF in place.

cheers.
  31. May 16, 2019 at 13:09

Born2Lose Full Member

If it's up to some of the players it will be the third option of crack him.
  32. May 16, 2019 at 13:16

AshRK Full Member

Do you think winning the league tittle is that easy. Look at our squad, what makes you think this i sgood enough to win the league. Just because we are Manchester United doesn't mean a new manager will come and give us a league title. Klopp is called the best manager by some and how many league titles has he won. We need patience here, the instant solution method did not work as we tried with Jose. He tried to push this squad and got to 81 points but he became unstable and rest is history.

You cannot just sack Ole and expect other manager to work miracles within one season. It won't be possible.
  33. May 16, 2019 at 13:22

Boycott Full Member

[​IMG]
  34. May 16, 2019 at 13:25

AshRK Full Member

Allegri- Another negative manager. What makes you think fans would have any time for his negative football. He cannot even make Juve with ronaldo play entertaining football. He would be eaten alive here

Conte- Same like allegri, Jose. Another negative manager who like Jose had a bad ending at Chelsea. He will do well for a season, winning a trophy or two but will start moaning once he realizes the club is going nowhere.

Ancelotti- Are you serious with this. Another washed up manager who will just be looking more clueless here.

Again Ole may not be the right man to lead but we cannot just sack him and hire another manager for short term success. We need to break that cycle and build a team who has a style and look stable and not a shit version of Chelsea. With the way we have been run and way some of our fans keep on going for manager's head , we will be the new chelsea, just a shittier version of them as atleast they win the league every now and then.
  35. May 16, 2019 at 13:33

AshRK Full Member

He was an average player 6 years ago and he is even more average now, just that he has become our captain now. I seriously hope Ole doesn't give him the captaincy armband.
  36. May 16, 2019 at 13:34

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Ah, wow, thanks for posting this, great job you've done here!

Yeah it makes interesting reading...

I think my biggest concern (and critique) of Solskjaer is actually the footy he's produced here in 5 months - I just don't see an elite level coach in there.

But I've got a weird feeling that his signings will be decent - I dunno why, just an instinctive feeling.
  37. May 16, 2019 at 13:38

reddevil80 New Member

Absolutely spot on. Players have too much say and are ruining the impression of the club.
  38. May 16, 2019 at 13:50

Brokenbeard New Member

Backing Ole. I have faith in him. Sometimes reading this forum is like watching the jeremy kyle show.
  39. May 16, 2019 at 14:00

Enigma_87 You know who

Cheers.

As concern - same to me.

To be honest I'd like him to have the first say on signings, I mean he should be better than Ed, right?
  40. May 16, 2019 at 14:22

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Back Ole. Get on a good Director of Football to work alongside, him. Keep Woodward's duties to the commercial side. Woody should just decide a budget and hand it to Ole and the DoF.
    Give Ole some time, at least a full preseason and let him bring in the players that he and the DoF feel are right to help the club progress and see where that get's us a basis to build from and I think we will see some progression next season. It's going to be a long process but I will be happy if I can see us constantly improving gradually and eventually hopefully Ole will get us back to where we should be; challenging for major honours.