Some questions from a Bayern Munich forum

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Damien, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Mar 27, 2014

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Ahead of next weeks game against Bayern Munich, a moderator from fan forum BayernForum has messaged me with the following questions to post on here. If any of you could answer them, it'd be appreciated, thanks.

1. Do you think that the difference between the two teams is bigger than in any previous encounter between the two teams?

2. What tactics and approach do you feel gives your team the best chance of defeating Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals?

3. Which key battle do you think united has a chance of winning and why? Fullback vs Winger? Winger vs Fullback? CM vs CM's? Strikers vs CB?

4. Which particular player from Bayern Munich you fear the most? And if you could choose, which player would you take from our team?

5. If Moyes uses all defensive tactics such as parking the bus in front of the goalie, United fans can cope with it?

6. Is Moyes to blame for the bad Premier League campaign or are the players just not good enough anymore?

7. Could David Moyes be sacked after April 9? or will he be given more time?

8. Would you say that SAF is also responsible for your troubles this season?

9. Which do you think is the strongest league nowadays between the Bundesliga and the Premier League?

10. What is your opinion on FC Bayern Munich as a club and as a team?
  2. Mar 27, 2014

Relevated fixated with venom and phalluses

3. Which key battle do you think united has a chance of winning and why? Fullback vs Winger? Winger vs Fullback? CM vs CM's? Strikers vs CB?
    5. If Moyes uses all defensive tactics such as parking the bus in front of the goalie, United fans can cope with it?
    6. Is Moyes to blame for the bad Premier League campaign or are the players just not good enough anymore?

:lol: Are they trying to rub it in?
  3. Mar 27, 2014

Hound Dog Full Member

1. Yes, absolutely.

2. None. I would be surprised to see Bayern winning by less than four goals over the two legs. Also, whatever approach United choose on paper, it will seem that they are parking the bus, as Bayern will dominate.

3. None.

4. Ribery, Kroos.

5. Yes, if it works. But it won't.

6. Having a lot of aging key players does not help, but there is no escaping from the facts that Moyes's man motivation skills are questionable and his tactics are prehistoric.

7. No idea. Don't think we will see a manager that's doing so shit getting this much time ever again.

8. Yes, as his performance in the transfer market since 2007. has been shocking.

9. Premier League. Bayern are obviously a class above everyone, Dortmund are very good despite their problems, but the Premier League has far more quality in depth due to the obscene money the clubs get from tv deals.

10. Best club side of the last 20 years, certainly better than Pep's hyped Barcelona, who cheated their way to the 2009 title. A machine. A proper club, but their ability to constantly sign the best players of other top Bundesliga sides is a bit annoying.
  4. Mar 27, 2014

Revan Assumptionman

1. Absolutely.

2. We cannot win this game by playing football. Haven't ever been a big fan of catenaccio, but I guess that a highly defensive tactics would give us a slight chance to win the tie. Anything else won't work.

3. I think that Rafael can deal with Ribery, but Robben will destroy us from the other side (especially with Evra out). The only battle I think we can hope to win is our strikers against your CB. And hopefully De Gea will at-least get a draw against your strike force.

4. Probably Robben. He has raised his game in around last 10 months and we also don't have Evra. And Muller. I don't exactly fear him, mainy because he'll score anyway, fear or not.

If I had to choose one player to take from your team it will definitely be Thiago Alcantaro. A fantastic young midfielder who is a joy to watch and who will eventually become the best midfielder in the world.

5. Nope. I hate us when we go defensive against shit teams. Against Bayern, I hope we'll go defensive.

6. The blame starts and ends with Moyes.

7. Unfortunately for us (and fortunately for you) no. I think that he will be here next season.

8. Well, he single handed chose Moyes so for that he is to be blamed. He left a fantastic squad though, which should have been in a much better position with a more competent manager in charge.

9. I still think that EPL is stronger (mainly because of money) but Bundesliga is doing a great job to make the difference lower. Your biggest problem though is that now it has become a very one horse competition. You signing BVB's best players didn't help the cause to make the league more attractive.

10. The best runned club in the world by a distance at the moment. And, the same can be said about the team too.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  5. Mar 27, 2014

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

1. It's the largest gap between the clubs in recent history, that's without any doubt.

2. Sadly it's got to be small time tactics. Sit back and cover the angles around our goals and hope for a set piece or a miracle counter attack or piece of magic from Rooney. The likes of Rooney and Welbeck are going to be essential in pressing whichever deep midfielders you go with.

3. Strikers vs Centrebacks is the obvious one. It's the only area we could realistically win on paper but the problem will be the complete lack of supply for them.

4. Robben, he's the one who from the outside I see as the one who can deliver and hurt us out of nothing. Schweinstiger would be an instant remedy for our midfield but I'd love it if we could get Kroos, he's the only player in world football I think fit to don Scholes' crown.

5. Against a genuinely great team, you can understand it however I don't think it's the route Fergie would have taken. I think he'd have looked to hold shape but give you something to think about early on with a quick tempo start.

6. Moyes is absolutely yo blame. The player's haven't played well, look devoid of confidence and motivation and while you could blame them for that, if you ask yourself "Would they play like this if it was Pep or Jose?" you'd have to say no.

7 I expect him to be given more time however I think after playing yourselves twice, Newcastle away and Everton away there's a good chance he will finally be sacked.

8. I don't like to blame the great man because he has spoilt me over the last 26 years but it was his choice and he's the one sticking behind him so he has to take some responsibility.

9. EPL hands down. Bundesliga has a much stronger leader but the quality doesn't go right down the table like it does in England.

10. Nothing but respect for Bayern Munich. A great club with proud traditions, fan ownership and enviable management from the top down.
  6. Mar 27, 2014

BW.k Full Member

1.Miles. One team has one of if not the best manager in the world the other has a manager who's yet to know his best XI.
    2. It'll be diffiicult but we have to be solid defensively to have any chance of getting a result and nick one on the counter or spotkick.
    3. Strikers vs CB. If Rooney has a great game we have a chance.
    4. Ribery. On his day he's one of the very best. I'll take kroos in a heartbeat though , just the kind of player we're badly missing.
    5. Yes. Because we just can't match Bayern and go toe to toe with them its not the best tactic of getting a result.
    6. 80% moyes , 20% players. A team of champions don't become poor in a matter of months.
    7. He'll be here next season.
    8. He might have made a wrong choice but he's also responsible for all the trophies we've won in the last 20 years.
    9. In terms of players bundesliga , in terms of competition PL.
    10. Not to mention that they're the best team in the land and imo they won't be knocked off anytime soon. Respect them as a club and and more so because of the 99 final :D
  7. Mar 27, 2014

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    1. Do you think that the difference between the two teams is bigger than in any previous encounter between the two teams?
    Yes, your guys will all have hangovers, ours will be stone cold sober.

2. What tactics and approach do you feel gives your team the best chance of defeating Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals?
    Decoy pigeons and floodlight failure.

The toss. Though actually our strikers could cause you trouble.

4. Which particular player from Bayern Munich you fear the most? And if you could choose, which player would you take from our team?
    I fear no one (they all look scary to us). I'd like Schweingsteiger then Martinez then maybe Kroos. I still can't believe you got Thiago.

If it works, we'll give him a medal.

A little from column 2, a lot from column 1.

I think he's safe (at least) until the end of the season.

He probably had more faith in his players and in his chosen replacement manager than they deserved, but I can't criticise him for that. If he'd still been in charge he would have fixed the players last/next summer. It'll be interesting to see if he now fixes the manager instead.

9. Which do you think is the strongest league nowadays between the Bundesliga and the Premier League?
    The Bundesliga looks too much like a one team league right now, which makes it hard to see its strength, it appears to lack depth. The Premier League is more competitive but the quality of the top two is likely to be lower than the Bundesliga's top two.

Enviable
  8. Mar 27, 2014

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

9. Mar 27, 2014

Gannicus Banned

Massive gap. We know that and anyone who wants to rub their shit in our noses has every right to. United are a club which destroyed most of its opposition and had Real Madrid on the ropes last season and now we're a pathetic bag of rotting excrement who have no business being on the same pitch as Bayern Munich.

An upset here could be the greatest football upset since the USA win over England in 1950.
  10. Mar 27, 2014

Danny1982 Sectarian Hipster

1. Definitely.

2. I don't give us much of a chance to be honest, but crowding our half, and relying on counter attacks (even at Old Trafford) should be the way to go.

3. The battle will be between your attackers and our defenders (because we're not going to see much of the ball, due to our players' inability to hold on to the ball in the opposition half for long). I think the best chance we have is our CBs against your attackers. You will rely on the wings though.

4. No particular player. The whole team plays a passing game, anybody can be a threat. I would take Kroos, because we need a player in his position and his ability.

5. We're seventh in the league. No hope for champions league next season. We're out of every other competition (quite embarrassingly), we've had many humiliating defeats against our arch rivals, ... are you sure you want to ask this question? We're in "damage limitation" mood right now. Style of play is not on the list of our priorities at the moment. If he parks the bus and gets a good result then he's a genius for choosing the right tactic for the game.

6. Moyes 90%. Players 10%.

7. Sadly, no. He'll be here next year.

8. No. His only mistake was picking Moyes imo, but I'll be going too far if I blamed SAF instead of Moyes himself. Might as well blame the man who picked SAF who then picked Moyes for our troubles this season.

9. Premier League. Bayern Munich is a great team, but that's about it for the Bundesliga.

10. Great club. When they were holding on to Ribery and Robin a few years back I thought they were just delaying the inevitable, because I thought those players will eventually want out to be able to compete at the highest level. I even thought they might be losing a bit of value for not selling them. But I was amazed by what they managed to create after that, which obviously was their vision from the beginning. Kudos and respect to them. (I'm not fan of Bayern though and would rather Dortmund win the league. :-P)

Congratulations for winning the title (can't believe I'm saying this in March).
  11. Mar 27, 2014

Ubik Full Member

1. From '99 and onwards, yes.

2. Sabotage, essentially.

3. Rooney can cause problems for your defence, but that's about it. De Gea will probably be in his usual ridiculous form as well, so will do his best to limit the damage.

4. Brilliant thing about Bayern at the moment is that it's not just one player you worry about, it's the level of the team in general, they're on another plane. I'd take one of your centre mids anyway, Kroos, Thiago or Martinez. Alaba too as well. fecking hell, just give us someone.

5. If it keeps the score down, we'll take anything at the moment. Parking the bus will at least be a strategy, something we haven't witnessed often on the pitch this year.

6. Moyes is the biggest factor, we don't play with any flair, belief of determination any more. We're a fairly pale imitation of what we used to be. You probably think we're exaggerating, but just wait. A top manager with these same players would be doing a far better job.

7. I'd rather he was sacked now. I think it's likeliest he'll go after the last match of the season so we don't have to worry about a caretaker - getting donked by Bayern won't help his situation but I doubt it'll be the killer blow either.

8. You could argue that he bears some responsibility, given that he hand-picked Moyes. The squad he left also had its flaws. This was why the transfer window was so important last summer, and we proceeded to screw it royally up, essentially ending up like a bloke doing his christmas shopping at 3.30pm on December 24th. I also can't really blame him for choosing a manager he thought mirrored him in whatever ways. If we don't fire Moyes this summer, however, and our situation doesn't dramatically improve, his level of blame will ratchet up. Because he can fix this quite easily.

9. I don't know enough about the lower-level clubs in your league to accurately gauge the difference in quality between the divisions, but your top level is certainly higher, and the variety of teams that have been capable of winning the title over the past years means that it is probably a more interesting league to watch (until you lot decided to stop mucking around, anyway). Dortmund are always a joy as well, and the rules and atmosphere of the league itself e.g. safe standing areas are also good to see.

10. Bayern are obviously an immense club that have history, success and legendary players coming out their ears. So we obviously can relate to them as a club quite a bit. Ties are always great between us, and I'm glad our last foray in europe for the coming future is going to be against such a respected side, rather than having skulked meekly out to Olympiacos in the last round. As a team, there's not really much else to say - it's approaching perfection. Thought from the start of the season you'd be the first to retain the cup in a couple of decades, and nothing's changed that. Our previous couple of matches against Pep sides have been very painful to witness, and these two will rival that. It helps when you're resigned to it in advance though.
  12. Mar 27, 2014

Sparky_Hughes Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly

Bayern will most likely destroy us, but if it has to happen in glad it's them. A well run, not arrogant extremely likeable club with quality support
  13. Mar 27, 2014

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts

14. Mar 27, 2014

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Undoubtedly, at least it's bigger than any encounter since I've been alive. To be fair, this would be the case regardless of the manager IMO as Bayern are just so good right now, and we have a squad in transition but the manager we have currently is making it so much worse. Usually in the last 20 years we've been fairly even whenever we played each other. Not the case anymore.

I really don't know. Normally you'd hope you can get a very solid team all around who can shut out the team, put in a good defensive performance and then counter with pace. We don't have the right quality or pace out wide, any decent midfielders and a disjointed defence that there really is no chance, other then if we get incredibly lucky and we score from our 1 chance we might get. If this was Chelsea vs Bayern, then I think they'd have a chance, especially with Mourinho, to get by Bayern. This current United team? No chance at all.

De Gea vs Bayern. At least we have a keeper who IMO has been the best in the world based on his form after January 2013 (Neuer slightly ahead of him in general only because of experience). He's saved us countless times and will need to put in a ridiculous performance to keep us in the tie and who knows, maybe even somehow get to penalties and save us!

Robben and Ribery the main ones I fear. Skillful players with pace and intelligence destroy our defence. If we could take 1 player, it would be Schweinsteiger without a doubt. Best central midfielder in the world last season for me, been unlucky with the injury this season but he's coming back to form right at the end of the season in time for the world cup.

For the Bayern game alone, yeah, seeing as we've got no chance either way. Just so long as we aren't humiliated scoreline wise I can cope.

95% Moyes, 5% players not performing. Saying they aren't good enough is nonsense, we have 4 world class players, a few top quality ones and plenty of very good youngsters who have it in them to become top players. The only place that we're lacking is in midfield, but Moyes spent 65 million so far without strengthening that properly. He's just a mid table manager out of his depth at a top club. Why United thought we could get away with bringing in an average manager and still succeed is beyond me. Every top club needs a top manager in charge as well, we are no exception.

As much as I'd wish he gets sacked after every result, I can't see it after losing to the best team in the world. Normally, he would have been sacked after half a year of shit and then losing 3 games in a row at the turn of the year. And then he would have been sacked for failing to beat fulham at home, then losing to stoke, then losing 2-0 to Olympiacos, then getting smashed by Liverpool, and finally getting smashed by City again. It's either after the Everton game (weekend after 2nd Bayern game when we could potentially lose 4 in a row, playing Bayern at home, then Newcastle, Bayern and then Everton all away in the space of a week), or at the end of the season, if it is to happen before next season. Otherwise, it'll happen by next year. He won't be Manchester United manager come 2015 because he's not going to improve this by much, because he's at his level right now (league table wise, not club wise).

You can blame SAF for hiring Moyes (and being too stubborn to admit he made a mistake and sack him), or letting the midfield get so bad. But then you remember that he won 5 of the last 7 titles, was 1 point away from the other 2, walked the title last year with a squad the same as this one but without Mata, Januzaj and Fellaini. So no. Blaming Sir Alex is stupid for our troubles if it's anything more then saying it's his fault that Moyes is here.

The Premier League overall is still a tiny bit stronger, but only because the rest of the league after the top 3 or 4 teams. Bayern are far ahead of anything the Prem has, Dortmund are at a similar level to the top teams here, but after that the Premier League is slightly stronger all the way through. Not a gigantic gap though, and not as big as it should be when you consider how much more money there is in the premier league.

Can't help but respect and admire them. I've really liked Dortmund these last few years so would want them to win the title ahead of Bayern most of the time, but you have to respect how Bayern go about things. Very well run club, the team play excellent football, most of the team are Germans, plenty of home grown players, give chances to youth players, and aren't in loads of debt. They've done very well to bounce back from the position they were in 6-7 years ago as well (or whenever it was when you fell down to the Europa League and had a few years where you just weren't that good, got trounced by Barca, etc.). 3 champions league finals in the last 4 years with 1 win, and favorites to do it again this season says it all.
  15. Mar 27, 2014

stu_1992 Full Member

Yes absolutely. We've gone downhill and Bayern have improved quite a lot.

I'm not sure any game-plan will work for us, and our manager has got it wrong in pretty much all the big games this season. I'm going to guess that we will set out defensively and try to counter quickly when we can. We'll have to aim to make the most of set pieces as well.

If we can get service to our forward players we can probably hurt your defenders but i don't think that will happen often. In Centre-Mid we have no chance. Rafael will be out to prove a point against Ribery I think.

There's quite a few I fear: Gotze, Ribery, Robben to name a few. I think Kroos would be perfect for us. He's exactly what we need and have been linked with recently. I doubt anything will come of that and he will probably just sign a new contract.

They won't be happy but we've put up with negative tactics quite a lot this season so they won't be surprised. Plus a lot will be realistic and realise we probably need a bit of caution in this match.

We've a few aging players and a few are probably past it, but you can't look beyond the fact we won the league last year, the players could not have just become 7th place standard in a few months. So that leaves you looking at the manager.

No I doubt it. I don't think he would get sacked until around December next year if we were still playing poorly. The club seems intent on giving him time to turn it around.

Well he picked Moyes, so you could say that was his mistake. But I don't place the blame for our state at his feet.

Still the Premier League for me. I think the general strength of the league is stronger in England than in Germany. The fact the title race in Germany is over already and in England it's close between a few teams says it all for me.

Fantastic team with a very good manager that play very good football. The club itself seems very well run, despite the former president having tax troubles. Bayern are clearly one of powerhouses in world football, like ourselves but Bayern are in a better state at the minute clearly.
  16. Mar 27, 2014

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    Thats the only question that remotely interests me too Rel :lol:

Damien - you should have told yer man to go feck himself & stick to Scheizer porno's, instead of fishin for compliments off their next opponents in the biggest club competition in the world...

The feckin cheek of that geezer :nono:
  17. Mar 27, 2014

gasmanc Banned

Yes absolutely, wouldn't be at all surprised with a cricket score.

It will be dig in and defend in numbers hoping for a counter or some set piece, it might just suit Moyes persona.

Striker vs CB is our best chance but the Rafael vs Ribery battle might have some legs.

On current i will say Thiago Alcantara, he has many abilities we will have no answers to.

Moyes will be using all defensive tactics, it's our best shot, not happy about it but there is no other way for this one.

We have a few passengers in the team but Moyes is the source of our problems, it's all on him.

Hope springs eternal but he will likely be here until the seasons end if not beyond.

No, it's looking clearer and clearer he made a mistake but as in question 6 it's all on the current manager.

Premier league on balance has the greater volume of club sides and is clearly the most competitive, this said Bayern might just walk the prem just as easily as they have the Bundesliga, Dortmund are a superbly ran club though.

Unbelievably well ran club from top to bottom and the best club side in the World at the moment, the structure within the club is bordering on unbreakable. Would be nice if you stopped buying up all the midfielders though, greed is one of the 7 deadly sins after all.
  18. Mar 27, 2014

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

1. Not a chance. We're Man United, we'll do what we want. At the end of the day we can only beat what's put in front of us so good luck Bayern!

2. Bayern are going to keep possession so we may as well accept that as fact now and prepare for it. Two banks of four to soak up the pressure, with Nani and Valencia out wide to allow for quick-paced counters. Provided we keep Schweinsteiger from marking these players out of the game, there's every chance United could win it.

3. Bayern's defensive midfield will be the key. Play through them and we've got a good chance.

4. None. Bastian Schweinsteiger.

5. The atmosphere in Old Trafford will be electric, there's no doubt that United fans will do more than "cope".

6. I think it's a mixture of both. Players like Ferdinand are obviously only good for the weaker teams now, with Vidic not being the same since he wrecked his knee versus Otelul Galati. Cleverley would not be a player we'd be interested in buying so the only reason he is still here is because he came from the academy. Cleverley started well but hasn't really kicked on from 11/12, I think Kevin Davies may partially be the blame for that with the tackle that injured him, Clevz never really kicked on after that. We need practically an entire new midfield. Moyes has to take some of the blame, some of his starting XIs and subs have been baffling at times and the amount he has rotated (seemingly just because he now has the ability to rotate) has not helped the team much either, in terms of stability. There are too many issues to really list in what is supposed to be a quick answer question really.

7. No chance, he'll be given plenty more time.

8. In part I suppose, the midfield has been an issue for a long time and the over-reliance on Ferdinand and Vidic has been glaring too. The younger defenders haven't been brought through fast enough for us to maintain some form of stability.

9. Premier League. The only team capable of beating every team, without a doubt, in the Premier League (except United) is Bayern Munich.

10. As a club I'm largely indifferent to Bayern Munich. I prefer them to Barcelona and Real Madrid. As a team, there are some very admirable players like Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller and Neuer.
  19. Mar 27, 2014

Danny1982 Sectarian Hipster

Don't worry. We'll send them 10 questions too as soon as Moyes finishes his 6 year plan..
  20. Mar 27, 2014

Mersault Banned

That's what I thought.

My questions to them lot

1. Is this a start of a Bayern dynasty or is it a few seasons' only thing
    2. Will you sell us Kroos?
    3. Why not?
    4. Would you fear United more if Klopp was United manager?
    5. Who is the next Dortmund superstar you'll sign?
    6. If we were to knock you out, will Guardiola then be a failure?
    7. How has the Hoeness saga impacted the club?
    8. How competitive do you think the Bundesliga is compared to the Premiership?

The answer to their number 2 is: Solid, with plenty of energy and quick on the counter, ugly but effective. It will help massively if the ref is not conned by Robben and Ribery through-out. No red cards please.
  21. Mar 27, 2014

Revan Assumptionman

:lol:
  22. Mar 27, 2014

Sir A1ex Full Member

I'm not having a go, but why don't opposition fans just read the forum? Pretty much all those points are being continuously done to death all over it.
  23. Mar 27, 2014

gasmanc Banned

Sending in their questionnaire for inside info on our tictacs, ha they're running scared.
  24. Mar 27, 2014

We only need to send them one question:

"Whats the craic with your hotdogs having veins in them?"
  25. Mar 27, 2014

leviathan Full Member

Yes.

Flood the midfield. I'd play Welbeck, Carrick, Rooney, Jones, and Adnan with Chicharito up front.

Strikers our best bet.

Muller.

I can cope. Don't think anyone can complain if we get by Bayern.

Both Moyes and players to blame. Don't think they suddenly became bad, but they haven't done as well as they can. Players have to take some of the blame.

He'll be here till the end of the season at least.

No.

EPL. More competitive than BL.

One if the giants of world football, history, players, money, everything.
  26. Mar 27, 2014

Cal? CR7 fan

1. Yes, by some margin

2. Try to give Bayern players food poisoning? Play football and we'd lose, badly.

3. Strikers v CB, but they won't get the ball much

4. Robben, because Evra is out. Can we take Pep? :angel:

5. Don't care, we'd lose regardless of his 'tactics' or lack thereof

6. Moyes is 100% to blame

7. I hope he's sacked right now, unfortunately I don't think he will.

8. Only because Moyes was his choice.

9. Bundesliga has the better team (Bayern), but the average standard is much higher in the Prem. Leverkusen against us is a great example.

10. Best team in the world
  27. Mar 27, 2014

Phil Full Member

2. Hard prayer

10. The Dortmund fans were more friendly in London last year
  28. Mar 27, 2014

Amethyst It's banter lads, inn't?

Yes, Bayern are most people's favourites, we're the worst team left in the competition.

Playing the way you did against Barcelona, with a narrow back four and wingers (Nani and Valencia) getting back to help the full backs. Our shape has been shocking off the ball against Liverpool and City. If we don't defend as a unit we'll be beaten easily.

I think Rooney and whoever plays behind him need to have a stormer against your defence. If Bayern have a weakness, that might be it. Your midfield is so far ahead ours, we won't win that battle.

Muller. Big game player, can cause us serious damage with his endurance, movement and pace. One of your players? Kroos.

Don't think Moyes has a choice in this one to be fair. No one will care if we win though, when play negatively and still get beaten comfortably is when the fans get angry.

Moyes carries blame no doubt, but some players have really fallen off this season. Carrick, Ferdinand, Rafael, van Persie (despite scoring goals), Evra etc.

No, he'll get until at least next season.

We've been getting by with a second rate midfield for years now (look at when we brought Scholes back in a panic) and that should have been addressed by Ferguson. But Moyes knew this when he came and we had a very poor summer transfer window. The mentality of the team and the tactics are all Moyes.

Don't really watch enough Bundesliga to give an proper opinion, but we've been piss poor this season and beat Leverkusen 9-2 on aggregate in the group stage. Bayern would win the Premier League however, Dortmund are a good team too.

Great team, well run and my pick to win the Champions League this year. If you don't meet them before the final I think you'll face Madrid for the trophy.
  29. Mar 27, 2014

Barney "We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"

Supports:
    Liverpool

:lol:
  30. Mar 27, 2014

Rowem gently, down the stream

The PL. The Bundesliga is a joke.
  31. Mar 27, 2014

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Absolutely. In my lifetime we've played Bayern nine times and each time it's been a tight affair. We've both been up there as two of the best teams in the world at the time. Now though, Bayern are almost indisputably the best and we're nowhere near the best in our own country. It's going to be a horrible mismatch.

I honestly don't see what we can do. Parking the bus isn't really an option because at no point this year have we shown any defensive solidarity. From set pieces and corners we're even worse than open play so it's not like we could just get a few blocks in and restrict them to corners, they'll score. We're also useless and predictable up front and Bayern are fairly decent defensively so we've not got much hope. We're relying on DDG to have an absolute worldie and nicking one on the break.

I suppose a direct head to head would be DDG vs. whoever plays up front. I don't see a direct goal coming from Mandzukic or Götze if he's playing as a false nine. Doesn't really help that everywhere else we're going to get schooled.

Given our terrible wingers, Ribery and Robben. Given our terrible midfield, any from Schweini, Martinez, Kroos, Thiago, anyone from the second team, anyone from the under-14's, any of Bayern's fans who fancy a game...

We did against Barcelona in 2008 and we had a much, much better team back then. If we get through all the way to the final like Chelsea did in 2012 of course we could. I think we're all realistic in that we know we've got the slimmest possible chance even if that's only because football is football and you can never fully predict it.

Moyes is to blame for the tactics, his negative approach to everything and failure to learn from his mistakes. The players are to blame for not turning up and fighting but they're definitely not good enough anymore.

There's no point in sacking him now because we've realistically got nothing to play for. We won't get anyone in before summer so he'll be given until then at the very least.

He certainly is and not just for appointing Moyes in the first place. Perhaps he should've gone after we lost to Barcelona in 2009. We've done nothing but regress since that team. Sure we've won titles and they've been great to witness but we've not exactly won them convincingly. Even last season with the points difference we were outplayed by even the relegation teams at times. He continuously failed to replace some of the best players in the world with either like for like or at the very least, convincing youngsters and the midfield has been a problem area for years. I also feel like he was sentimental and gave leeway to certain players that he just wouldn't have done when he was younger.

The Premier League is purely on overall quality of the league but it certainly doesn't tell the whole story. I've said in my posts in the newbies that the Bundesliga is the league that every other should be aiming to emulate. Financially they're almost perfect, clubs are run with respect to debt and respect to fairness. Granted Bayern are so far ahead financially and therefore quality wise but only because they've been ran like a Swiss watch for the longest time. In another few years the Bundesliga will be the best league in the world and everyone will want to play there. I just hope they maintain what has made it so good when the superstars come to play.

You've got to admire Bayern. The team they've assembled has a perfect balance of youth and experience, of superstars and homegrown talent. Pep Guardiola is one of the best managers in the world and has them playing beautiful football. The club is run from top to bottom by football people and not accountants and although they can be accused of buying the oppositions best to keep themselves on top and weaken the competition, you can also say they've earnt the right to do so. The Allianz is a fantastic arena and the fan experience there is so much better managed than in England. Tickets are relatively cheap considering the quality of the team, you can drink beer (wonderful Bavarian beer and not utter piss like in UK stadiums) at your seat and you can stand up and creating an amazing, intimidating atmosphere. Fans in Germany aren't seen as walking ATM's and I envy that immensely.

Plus Munich is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and absolutely somewhere I'd love to live in future.
  32. Mar 27, 2014

Shamwow listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

1. Do you think that the difference between the two teams is bigger than in any previous encounter between the two teams? Yes of course, I expected us to win last time around

2. What tactics and approach do you feel gives your team the best chance of defeating Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals? Flying V formation down the centre of the pitch passing the ball madly between our players to confuse the feck out of your team

3. Which key battle do you think united has a chance of winning and why? Fullback vs Winger? Winger vs Fullback? CM vs CM's? Strikers vs CB? Fellaini's elbow vs Kroos' head

4. Which particular player from Bayern Munich you fear the most? And if you could choose, which player would you take from our team? Robben will almost certainly score but I'll take Ribery thanks

5. If Moyes uses all defensive tactics such as parking the bus in front of the goalie, United fans can cope with it? If we actually did it in an effective manner that would be an improvement

6. Is Moyes to blame for the bad Premier League campaign or are the players just not good enough anymore? Probably

7. Could David Moyes be sacked after April 9? or will he be given more time? He'll won't be sacked until the end of the season at the earliest

8. Would you say that SAF is also responsible for your troubles this season? No, except for the immense joy and success he has given us over the last 26 years causing the drop in performance to be from a greater height

9. Which do you think is the strongest league nowadays between the Bundesliga and the Premier League? Bundesliga has Bayern and Dortmund which are top teams but the rest seems weak judging by how we turned over Leverkusen.

10. What is your opinion on FC Bayern Munich as a club and as a team? I'd bet it's great to be a supporter but I don't like how you seem to be stealing your main rivals' players so much
  33. Mar 27, 2014

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

Yes, Bayern are the best team in Europe at the minute. We are nowhere near, but it's a cup game and anything can happen with a bit of luck,

Hope De Gea has a couple of outstanding games and gets the ball forward quickly for a counter attack. We need to get closer to theirs

Rooney on his good days can cause anyone trouble

Robben if he's up against Buttner.
    I'd take any of their midfielders, hopefully the rumours about Kroos are true.

Don't expect us to go all out attack, we'll get thrashed if we do.

Both. Moyes' tactics haven't worked but the players have been very poor too

He'll at least see the season through, probably next one too

A bit but we've had chances to improve and haven't

Still think Premier League is stronger, but in Europe the Bundesliga ones have faired better as of late

One of the giants in football with a big history.
    Don't like how they seem to snap up every good talent in Germany though, but I guess it's up to the other teams to step up
  34. Mar 27, 2014

The Taurean looks like a chipmunk

Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
    1. In recent memory, yes.

2. Quick counter, wing play, meaningful possesion and controlling the pace of game. Not much of which has been seen this season.

3. Wingers and maybe Strikers.

4. It would be difficult to pinpoint one individual threat but considering we are in need of midfielders, we could do with Schweinsteiger or Kroos.

5. I don't think it would happen but it would be a death knell.

6. Moyes has to take blame because us fans don't know what football he wants to play. Its just dire and unimaginative. And for which, the players have to take responsibility too, considering they have been seasoned players.

7. I honestly don't know. If the club plan to keep him, they need to spell out what is it that requires our patience to persist with Moyes. No one knows. We could take defeats at this stage but not dire football.

8. I wouldn't say so. He left back a good set of youngsters and backroom staff. It would have been good if midfield was in better shape but that's no reason to blame one of our greatest managers. As for choosing moyes, its fair to see why he was selected. But there are sufficient reasons to see that it might have been underestimated as to the scale of work to be handled. We can't really say without knowing the succession plan which Gill had talked about. The blame can only be put on the board collectively if no action is taken incase the situation doesn't change for the good.

9. Definitely Premier League. As much as the fan friendly prices and initiatives are good for the fans, and the bundesliga has vastly improved its profile recently, it doesn't match up to the premier league. And your continued domination might be good for the club but may not be so good for other teams. Although I would guess you don't care what anyone thinks about you. :D

10. I guess there is no doubt its one of the top teams now, and among the select teams over the time. Your board's focus is trying to make the club truly among the elite, and its charging on right now. At times, you need to lookout for your backyard. I respect the club and love the city.[/quote]
  35. Mar 27, 2014

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Definitely the biggest gap in quality I can remember.

Defend deep. Counter with pace. Pray.

If we somehow win the game it'll involve a combination of our strikers against your CBs and De Gea against everyone you've got.

Robben could slaughter our left back. Who would I take from Bayern? Despite our midfield being our obvious weak point, I'd probably take Muller. Brilliant player.

For this game? Yes. I don't like it but, given how good Bayern are and how poor we've been, I'd say it's our best chance at getting something (or at least not being being embarrassed).

Both manager and players are to blame. Both issues have to be resolved before we'll return to our former standards.

He'll last until the end of the season unless the players or fans revolt against him. Will he be here next season? Who knows.

That's a slightly complicated issue. SAF wasn't perfect and he certainly left us with a squad that had plenty of problems. On the other hand, is it really fair to expect him to leave behind a perfect team for his successor? I don't think so. He may have left Moyes with a difficult job to do but he also ensured Moyes would be given a tremendous amount of control, patience and backing to solve any issues. I guess by default he has to take some responsibility as the squad and Moyes were his legacy but the truth is it was really up to them to justify his faith.

Premier League is more competitive but the top quality of the Bundesliga is higher.

One of the giants of world football. Great club with great history. The team is probably the best in Europe atm.
  36. Mar 27, 2014

Hannibal Banned

1) The difference between the two teams right now is mammoth. It's akin to the basketball game between USA & Nigeria @ the London Olympics.

2) Park the armoured tank like Chelsea did in 2012 against Barcelona & Bayern Munich. What else can Moyes do?

3) Rafael would give Ribery a run for his money but that could also be the demise of United as Ribery would draw fouls that would mean a red card for Rafael.

4) Kroos, Thiago, Lahm.

5) United fans have been coping with worse tactics all through the season. We have played dog-shyte football 80% of the season. Another one of those will not make a significant difference.

6) Moyes takes the blame 100%. I refuse to criticise the same crop of players that have delivered 5 league titles in 7 seasons. Moyes' tactics made them look bad. If SAF picks up this team next season, he will win the league again by 8 points.

7) I hope he gets sacked & arrested for stealing a living. If someone manages a country like Moyes has done in Africa, there would be genocide.

8) SAF isn't responsible. Moyes inherited a great squad. Yes, there were few old & tired legs but Moyes had about 3 months to ring the changes. SAF also advised Moyes not to change everything so quickly but Moyes sacked the backroom staff even before he officially resumed office.

9) A league is a collection of 20 clubs. From that point of view, The Premier League is way stronger.

10) Arguably the best club in the world as we speak. They are rich in tradition and i kind of like the bullying tactics they deploy there to steal all the talents available in the league.
  37. Mar 28, 2014

Winrar Full Member

Absolutely, Bayern is currently hailed as one of the, if not best side in Europe at the moment. On the contrary, our club and Moyes have been a laughing stock of the footballing world with continued miserable performances.

Pressure Bayern's passing route and leave the defenders for dead with a quick counter. I don't see that happening with our team, though.

We'll probably be schooled in all areas of the pitch bar Rooney and/or our defenders having a blinder.

Robben, Ribery, Gotze, Kroos, Muller... i.e. every key player.

Defensive strategy has never worked against Bayern, teams tire before 90 minutes so they concede, I don't see how our team would fare any differently with defensive, toothless tactics.

Combination of both to some degree, though I mostly blame it on Moyes' stone age tactics involving covering the space which means players are far afart from each other, which means it's difficult to make meaningful attacks with intelligent movement to break down the opposition more effectively.

I don't see it happening unfortunately, as much as I think David Moyes is not fit for United.

I doubt even Sir Alex would've expected Moyes to be this calamitous, in that respect I can't blame him.

Bayern's position in table this season and last suggests Bundesliga is a one horse race for Bayern (4 stars?), but I personally think it's an entertaining league with lots of talent.

Great history, great team, great fanbase... Arguably the best in Europe currently. admirable.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  38. Mar 28, 2014

A couple of small alterations made there - i hope you dont mind? :angel:
  39. Mar 28, 2014

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate Full Member

1) Absolutely. Our first season after the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has been a disaster for us. We will probably not play in Europe next season. On the other hand Bayern Munich seem to be going through a second golden era after the early-middle 70's. They are the best team in the world right now, on their way to a third consecutive CL final and they have one of the best managers and some of the best players in the world in their squad.

2) Our goal should be to keep our chances alive through the whole 180 minutes. We are not going to have possession, so i would like to see 2 narrow defensive lines with our players fully concentrated on their defensive duties. I would try to narrow the spaces in the middle of the pitch and not allow Robben-Ribery and Kroos recieve the ball too many times in the dangerous areas in between the lines. When other teams achieve that against you this season, you seem to have some issues and Pep chooses to move your midfield and defense very high on the pitch., leaving spaces open behind.

3) The obvious answer is Rooney, wherever he plays. If he plays as a false "10", he'll keep Lahm or Martinez busy and it won't be easy for them to continuously move into more attacking areas and give support to rest of the midfielders and attackers. It will be more difficult than usual for the man in front of the back 4 to keep the lines close. If Rooney plays as a striker, Dante will certainly have problems against him. But one of our biggest problems this season is our inability to create chances for our strikers. Can't see that changing against a team like Bayern Munich.

4) I fear Bayern Munich as a unit. Your pressing high on the pitch is phenomenal, your passing and your patience when you have the ball are simply spectacular. But the truth is that with the FBs we have (Evra is ruled out), your wingers will have the most chances to win the tie for you. Which player would i take from you? We are in desperate need of Schweinsteiger in our midfield but, in your current squad, my favorite player is Lahm.

5) If he manages to make us competitive, i don't think there will be a problem. Most of the fans expect two heavy defeats. I know United are well known for playing fast, direct, counter attacking football, but being pragmatic, especially when your form is terrible and you've drawn the best team in the world, isn't a bad thing.

6) Imo Moyes has to take most of the blame. He has shown nothing to justify Ferguson's choice to pick him as his successor. We can't defend well enough, we struggle to create chances (4 clear chances per game, 0 through balls) and he hasn't tried to change a single thing in the way he approaches the games. Yet, i have to admit that some our players act like school kids without the presence of their austere teacher, since Ferguson retired. Lack of concentration and silly unforced errors are sadly a "normality" for us this season.

7) No, he will finish the season and his position is probably secured until Christmas.

8) I criticize him for appointing Moyes while he had the chance to give the job to Mourinho or Ancelotti. Many people will argue that he left a squad that is not good enough to win trophies without his guidance. The facts suggest otherwise. This season we haven't played good football. We don't have a philosophy in our game and our tactics are woeful. I believe that this squad, under the right managerial guidance, can compete for the Premier League title. Even Moyes can do better with these players.

9) The Premier League. But you would be favorites to win the title, if you were playing here.

10) One word, RESPECT. Fearless and never succumbing to failure. You lost the 99 CL final in a shocking (for you) way and you managed to win the title 2 years later with the same manager and team. Same thing last season. You were 3-0 down at OT in the 2010 quarter-final but never panicked, you just followed your game plan and won the tie.
  40. Mar 28, 2014

Blackwidow Full Member

Let me answer that as a Bayern fan - even if I am a regular here.

1. The oldest of the starting formation are 30 or somewhere near it. But if you take Müller (24), Alaba (21), Kroos (24), Thiago (22), Boateng (25), Badstuber (25), Götze (21) - they have for long not reached their peak... And Neuer got 28 today - he can still go 8 years.
    2. That is a question if he can get persuaded and then a question of the transfer sum offered for 2014.
    3. see 2
    4. No. Why? Look at the results of the last two years between Dortmund and Bayern...
    5. No
    6. None. Hummels does not want to and today would not be accepted by the fans anymore, Gündogan has injury problems and Reus does not match the system - all others would not even make the bench.
    7. The Hoeneß saga started in the week prior to the 4:0 win against the Barcelona win. The saga for sure has an impact on the club as Hoeneß has been the driving force for the development of Bayern and the heart of the club. He always was the first to help when somebody had personal problems no matter if players or staff, fighted for them against media and other influences like a lion mother for her kids and e.g. renewed contracts of injured players even if it did not make any sense (economically or out of sport reasons) - just to give them a chance. Especially the homegrown players and Ribery are friends with him. If it has an impact on the players it will be that they fight even harder.
    8. Behind Bayern and Dortmund. Schalke and Leverkusen still have issues with their teams - they are not consistent, Schalke has very young and inexperienced players and Leverkusen just performs bad against good European teams.

The leagues are different. Both have their advantages. There is a lot young players in the Bundesliga, team play is more important, the players and coaches are on a very high tactical level, and the workrate is very high - but there is better individuals in the EPL if you take speed or power. Actually if I see teams like Mainz or Augsburg - or last year's Freiburg - I think they could better perform against the bigger Premier Leagues than their equals in the EPL. But then I see other teams that have good individuals in the Bundesliga - that suck and make so much mistake. Apart from Bayern on their day every team of the Bundesliga could beat any other team. Some years ago that included Bayern - but they just are not in for the occasional blips right now - having answers to any situation.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014