Sony officially ready to kill off gaming

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Zen, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012

Zen Full Member

http://gamepolitics.com/2012/05/25/sony-patent-pauses-games-advertising

[​IMG]

WARNING: GAMEPLAY

[​IMG]
  2. May 28, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

Stupidest idea ever. I always thought there was an opportunity to have ads in games maybe during loading screens and such. To cut off the gameplay to show an ad is scandalous. I can barely stand it with free Android games, no way can I stand it in a game I've payed 40 quid for.
  3. May 28, 2012

Alex99 Unsure if Prudeland is a real country

If the choice is getting a new, top title for free or a hugely cut price (£5 or less) and having to deal with some adverts every now and then it might work. I can see people deciding they don't want to pay £45 for this years fifa update, or the next version of call of duty, but not minding having to put up with an ad or two at half time or between online games and getting the game for free.

Obviously if it's too intrusive or too frequent then it'll be shit however they decide to do it. Even more so if they still charge full price for the games.
  4. May 28, 2012

The Don Metrosexual Candy Shagger

If this happens the way it's described in the article, I can see sony going bust. Gamers are stupid fecks, but we're not that stupid, nobody is that stupid.
  5. May 28, 2012

esmufc14 9 Pages of infractions

Sony isn't going to go bust.

Don't like the idea of this at all, though I doubt they will implement it in the way that's been described.
  6. May 28, 2012

niMic Curvy gay

This is the worst idea I've seen in a while, and I spend hours on the internet every day.

This will never, ever work. Even if the game was greatly reduced in price, it would simply reduce the gaming pleasure too much for me to accept it. No doubt some people would find a way of removing these adds, and game pirating would increase tenfold.
  7. May 28, 2012

The Don Metrosexual Candy Shagger

Dunno. I would suggest that if they were to implement this in the way stated, there would be a major backlash and mass boycotting of sony products by gamers.

You might call this unrealistic or idealistic but from every single gmers website/forum I've been on practically everyone was already talking about the consumer standing up to the video game giants due to pricing, poor quality games, charging for updates DLC's etc. This is all before anything like this advertising shit was even thought about.
  8. May 28, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Way to make money out of free games
  9. May 28, 2012

Count Orduck Full Member

More to the point, how is pausing a game to show an advert something that can be patented? No wonder all those big tech companies are suing each other for patent infringement constantly if shit like this is worthy of a patent.
  10. May 28, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Maybe Sony is being the good guy. Patenting this idea so no one will use it!
  11. May 28, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

They actually tried in game advertising in WipEout HD (displayed during load times - but you would not progress even if loading was finished, you had to wait until the ad was finished) when it was first released, but it was all removed due to the backlash at the time. Neogaf was up in the air if I remember correctly. They aren't going to use it themselves, as you can see, the XMB isn't full of publicity shit unlike the XB dashboard, but this patent will provide a mechanism for publishers to add dynamic ads into their games through PSN. Sony will then allow the publishers to decide to use it or not. I think it's a good thing in that way. If a small developer wants to release a game for a fiver and back it up with ads, fair enough. If someone like EA tries to pull it, it will be in the reviews, so people have the choice whether to buy it or not. Use of this will be after all down to the developer of the specific game.
  12. May 28, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

I think it's a good idea if implemented properly. By that I mean they don't do youtube adverts where you have to watch the whole thing, and that it brings the price of games down - dramatically. For loading screens there's nothing wrong with having a coca-cola label rather than the game title or something similar. But for example if you're playing fifa, and you have to wait thirty seconds before playing a game they'd get boycotted sharpish.