Spain sack head coach

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by esmufc07, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 13, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

He gave his age one the last page born in 89.:lol:
  2. Jun 13, 2018

fcbforever Banned

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    During, actually. Left Madrid in 2003.
  3. Jun 13, 2018

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

They'll argue he'll be more distracted by the fact he's fecking off instantly after the WC, and they may have judged that his focus may now be elsewhere and not on the team primarily. Which isn't a good position to be in.
  4. Jun 13, 2018

Trizy Full Member

28. My earliest momories of Madrid would be around the time he retired. Would've grown up with Carlos, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Raul, Casillas, Guti and eventually Beckham being the big names.
  5. Jun 13, 2018

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    This isn't just a decission based on what will happen in the next month. The federation wanted to do this for the future, to prove that they're not anyone's toy and that they deserve respect, It might take away ~20% of our chances to win this, but I'm sure that it's better for the future of the NT.
  6. Jun 13, 2018

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

I’m the same age as you and I remember him mauling the shit out of Ruud and Giggs in our matchup against them in the Champions League.

Although I’m pretty sure I remembered him because he’s the ugliest player I’ve ever seen up to that time.
  7. Jun 13, 2018

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    How can you say that when he played alongside Ivan Campo in that team?
  8. Jun 13, 2018

el3mel Full Member

If Spain failed miserably in the tournament, surely it will be Madrid fault ? That fecked the NT with this announcement.
  9. Jun 13, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yet the players themselves, let by senior figures like Ramos and Iniesta, apparently backed the manager. Anything gained by bringing in a "focused" manager is surely lost by directly acting against the wishes of the players. I can't imagine whose opinion is more important than theirs this close to the World Cup beginning.
  10. Jun 13, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    This is a golden opportunity for the spanish national team to win a freaking World Cup, it doesn't get bigger than this.

I understand why they did it but it does also feel like they're putting their ego over the success of the team. Would staying with Lopetegui for the World Cup and keeping everything that happened a secret be that big of a deal? You're saying that it's better for the future of the NT as if it's a guarantee when it really isn't, it most likely will change very little about their future.
  11. Jun 13, 2018

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Nah, Hierro takes it for me.

I can never decide whether he just stepped off the set of the Planet of the Apes movie or he’s about to go kill someone for the mafia.
  12. Jun 13, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Agree
  13. Jun 13, 2018

I would be surprised if they end up being blamed. The pro-Madrid media outlets will hardly blame them and the iconic Spanish player are more likely to blame the FA given that a) some of them are Madrid players and b) all of them were apparently against the FA's decision.

If Spain fail miserably then I suspect the focus will be on the decision to fire the manager the day before the tournament started, not what Madrid did.
  14. Jun 13, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    I must admit I reacted with a, "the Hierro?" I had no idea that he was already in Russia with the national team setup.
  15. Jun 13, 2018

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    They couldn't keep what happened a secret, because the president of the Spanish Federation just said in a press conference he was informed that Lopetegui was leaving 5 minutes before the news became oficial, if this is an ego thing it's totally Real And Julen's ego, they wouldn't let a month, or not even a month and announce it mid-tournament in a controled manner, because every day Real Madrid lacked a coach, players could be unsure of were to sign.

Imagine you're working at a big company, sign a contract extension for 4 more years, and two weeks after you sign with a bigger company without telling your president, coworkers or even employees under your supervision anything, and 2 days before your company has the most important month 7 years. And your president is informed 5 minutes before the whole world knows you'll leave in a month, even if sacking you might be perceived as pettiness, I think that's the kind of petty thing that anyone could feel compelled to understand.

But what's important here is what Rubiales said in the same press too, "If you're working for the Spanish federation, then you have to act with professionality and to the standards we set, otherwise the federation will have to act accordingly", when we're talking about an organization 'famous' for being corrupt that sets a much needed hard line, sadly not many people are paying attention to this because the press just wants to sell it as Spain vs Real Madrid drama. Rubiales promised to regenerate the RFEF into something efficient and clear, what Lopetegui did falls too far from what he could forgive in his first month in charge.
  16. Jun 13, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    He could have kept that a secret to the general public. Keeping Lopetegui in charge wouldn't have been a problem at all if he hadn't said that. Wouldn't that have been the best solution? It wouldn't have hurt Spain's chances and it wouldn't have hurt the image of the FA.

Madrid and Lopetegui both fecked up, I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing what the FA did. I very much doubt that this will have any lasting positive effect in the future and using this as an example to set a hard line is very questionable. It feels like the president is more worried about his ego and strengthening his image than doing what's best for spanish football.
  17. Jun 13, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Yeah Hierro is pretty legendary unless you're really young. Even played for Bolton for a bit.

Then again, I had no idea who the Spanish manager was until the last 48 hours.
  18. Jun 13, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Well it looks Florentino already created his Midas touch for the WC :lol:
  19. Jun 13, 2018

Doctor Tornasol Full Member

Supports:
    Football
    I woke up now in the spanish afternoon and just saw the news about the sacking :lol:

My view, I'm not a madridista neither an anti-madridista: we usually do well when competing in the middle of this kind of chaos, I wouldn't be surprised if Spain does well in the WC even after all this turmoil. Remember the quote: "I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success" :lol:. About the sacking itself: Deserved? Not deserved? It was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for Lopetegui to coach Real Madrid, it was the only moment Florentino could sign him, and it was completely humiliating for the new spanish football federation president to face this signing being the latest person involved aware of it, he would start his career at the front of the federation looking like a fool. If I were him I would probably have sacked Lopetegui too.

Everyone has done everything badly, and at the same time I can't find anything done by anyone -by Real Madrid, by Julen, or Rubiales- wrong, each one has defended their interests.

Hierro is a legend, btw. Someone has to be really young to not remember him. If someone has the balls to carry the national team in a moment like this, should be him, even with the little experience he has.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  20. Jun 13, 2018

the_irish123 New Member

He deserved it.. What an idiot.

How can you possibly think announcing that wouldn't have any ramifications?
  21. Jun 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Still can't believe what has been happening the last couple days re: Madrid-Spain NT head coach affair. :lol:
  22. Jun 13, 2018

El-Buitre New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Rubiales ruined the dream of thousands of spanish people/kids before the World Cup even started. Hopefully we will be eliminated in the first round so Rubiales get fired and the Real Madrid players can rest for the next season because we dont stand a chance in this World Cup now than Lopetegui was sacked obviously.

I am sad because I love football and my country but it's how it is, Portugal will finish 1st and Morrocco 2nd gonna put 100 euros on it or probably more, should be easy money.
  23. Jun 13, 2018

GloryHunter07 Full Member

Why did Real have to announce it so soon?
  24. Jun 13, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Yep, total feck up from Real.
  25. Jun 13, 2018

Acheron Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Way to go Spain!!!

If they were unsure the announcement of Lopetegui upsetting the group then Rubiales make sure this will certainly impact negatively the group. fecking cnut, the players were ok with Lopqtegui as he's the best one to manage the current group in this World Cup but he still decided to make this a contest of showing who has the bigger dick.
  26. Jun 13, 2018

Renegade New Member

I’d fancy Spain to beat both teams comfortably with no manager. It probably gets trickier in the later stages though.
  27. Jun 13, 2018

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

I remember Hierro bursting through against the Swiss in 1994 and finishing wonderfully. I rooted for Spain in that World Cup and have been a fan of the NT since.
  28. Jun 13, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

It's not, but integrity in the long run means a lot.
  29. Jun 13, 2018

Doctor Tornasol Full Member

Supports:
    Football
    He had that football passion one can only see in the most gifted ones along the decades, wherever they play in the pitch. He was a bit like Puyol -or, well, chronologically, Puyol was a bit like him-. Hierro and Puyol have been the defenders I've enjoyed the most watching. Bravery, honor, and even goals. Hierro was a tough c*nt sometimes also, Puyol was way more clean.
  30. Jun 13, 2018

He might have expected some repercussions. He can't have expected that the Spanish FA would willingly tank the country's World Cup hopes by sacking him though.
  31. Jun 13, 2018

your club can't hold their mouth shut for 1 month and you blame your FA? and wished for their early exit?
  32. Jun 13, 2018

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

Both would be in my Spain all-time XI from my time of viewing Football.
  33. Jun 13, 2018

Acheron Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Yes. It was an unilateral decision by Rubiales with no contemplation of others opinions (no one wanted Lopetegui out ffs) just to show he's the boss. After all he's fairly new in the charge and when he arrived Lopetegui was already Spain manager without him having nothing to do with that decision.
  34. Jun 13, 2018

BehemothTerror New Member

Despise both Real Madrid and Spain so having a nice whiskey to celebrate this shitstorm :)
  35. Jun 13, 2018

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    We don't really know that, yesterday Marca said that the signing was done seamlessly between RM and RFEF with everyone involved happy and then Rubiales spew the truth today, 6 hours ago I read "the captains backed Lopetegui" but two hours ago "Sergio Ramos completely backed Lopetegui" (as he should, he's his manager in the future too), nothing about Silva or Iniesta.

Sadly, with Real Madrid involved in this and against the RFEF we can't have give credibility to the press, only trust declarations by the ones involved, and by now I don't see anyone coming out to throw dirt on either Rubiales or Lopetegui.

Edit: To your part about Rubiales having nothing to do in the decision with Lopetegui, he was the one who extended his contract until 2020, so you're just painting the idea that he never liked him, when in fact extending his contract was one of his first relevant decisions, he just said Lopetegui was "the best" coach in today's press conference, and that he probably wasn't aware of a lot of things between RM and his agent, because he was sure Julen wouldn't do things in the awful way they have ended, too many explications for someone that just wants to show he's the boss.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  36. Jun 13, 2018

Im red2 Prophet of Doom

In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
    Madrid want him at the reins now, obviously. Preparation for coming season.
  37. Jun 13, 2018

Whose opinion? Madrid players?
  38. Jun 13, 2018

crossy1686 Full Member

Not really, now they won't have to pay the €2m release clause in his contract.
  39. Jun 13, 2018

I would be astounded if the non-Madrid players were in favour of getting rid of the manager the day before the tournament starts as it cripples their World Cup chances. It must be especially painful for someone like Iniesta, who will not get to play for Spain again beyond this tournament.
  40. Jun 13, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I just hope this doesn't divide the dressing room.