Stop Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by VeevaVee, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Getting huge publicity as intended. Absolutely lighting up Twitter at the moment.
    It's a pretty impressive idea and for a very good cause. The jist of it is creating awareness via the public and arguably more importantly celebrities & politicians to eventually get the (US) government to do something about it.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony_new.html

Could just be a fad. But if it helps even just a few it's got to be a good thing right?
  2. Mar 7, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

It's a really clever campaign. There is no doubt that it is just a fad for a lot of the people that are tweeting about it and those bracelets will just be a fashion statement for many but I guess it doesn't really matter why people are talking about it if the goal is to raise awareness.
  3. Mar 7, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Pretty immense campaign. May look into it more.
  4. Mar 7, 2012

Bebe Full Member

This is probably going to end up being the biggest viral campaign in history. Without doubt a worthy cause.
  5. Mar 7, 2012

Bebe Full Member

6. Mar 7, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

That seemed like a bunch of bollocks with links nothing to do with what they are saying. One link had this to say:

I'm sure there are problems with that group but I'm more ready to accept that video than that link.
  7. Mar 7, 2012

Sw33t Full Member

Just watched this.

feck the people saying it's pointless and not to support it.

What harm could come from supporting it? Seems like a damn worthwhile cause to me. Brilliant idea tbf
  8. Mar 7, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

The problem is that there are more Kony's running around free, only time will tell if they try to bring him to justice. I have a feeling a lot of people will bandwagon this, I hope not.
  9. Mar 7, 2012

It also appears that they have actually already tried to arrest Kony to some extent:

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Ugandan army 'kills senior rebel'

He's been on the run since 2005.
  10. Mar 7, 2012

Laidback Levo Reclining

Just about to post a thread about this, picking up some serious heat on FB.
  11. Mar 7, 2012

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

CIA could serve up one Kony lamestation, would anyone mind? I wouldn't.
  12. Mar 7, 2012

13. Mar 7, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Fantastic campaign. When I saw my facebook bombarded with 'Kony 2012' I thought he was some sort of singer, few hours later I know what it's all about. Think of it like a tree - one person sends it to five people, those five send it to another five and so on, which is basically what's happening. The goal is to make him a household name, and by next Friday I reckon they'll accomplish that.
  14. Mar 7, 2012

Is that not kind of the idea? They recruited the celebrities to get more public on their side, who will then spread the message themselves and a percentage will pester the politicians.
  15. Mar 7, 2012

Right and then what about the next tyrant that needs to be brought to justice will as many people care about that? How many of these people want to see Assad stopped in Syria right now, isn't that something we should also be fighting for?
  16. Mar 7, 2012

Mick1991 Full Member

Surely a little good is better than no good at all?
  17. Mar 7, 2012

It's not as if opposing one doesn't mean you can't oppose another? Or that we should pick and choose, but it's important people are aware of all the arseholes.
  18. Mar 7, 2012

cold-zebra Clare Baldings Daughter

19. Mar 7, 2012

Right but I just hope that this will continue to happen for many other tyrants and what not and not just prove a flash in the pan for Kony.
  20. Mar 7, 2012

It is indeed but we need to push that, it's a start I hope.
  21. Mar 7, 2012

Persian-Fred Banned

I watched it and was taken in at first, but I think it's clear that the whole story isn't being told in it. It's very very persuasive and well made, it's truely an excellent promotional video, but there's a lot of people on my Facebook (who are the types to know about Kony etc) who are absolutely slating it, and having a go at the people sharing it. I don't know the ins and outs of it, and so won't get drawn into a debate, but it's clear that they're only telling people what they want to hear with that. Apparently Kony hasn't been in Uganda for years, and is actually in the DRC, where Uganda have no rights to arrest him. Apparently there's corruption with the Ugandan Government about why he hasn't been arrested already. Apparently the owners of InvisibleChildrenInc pay themselves $90k p/a, more than double what other charity leaders pay themselves.

I just dont think it's as clear cut as all the people on Facebook seem to be suggesting it is.
  22. Mar 7, 2012

iSparky Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

This has been all over my facebook and twitter feeds today, getting massive publicity at the moment
  23. Mar 7, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

I think it explains in the video that he isn't in Uganda anymore to be fair, but I agree that everyone is being taken in by the video when there may be more to it than is being suggested.

It's pretty much all everyone is talking about on Facebook at the moment. This is probably my favourite comment on my news feed:

what's this kony shite? I aint watching a 29min vid that don't have tits in it...
  24. Mar 7, 2012

25. Mar 7, 2012

Those that are opposing it are slating what IC are giving as facts without backing up their own. Some good points raised but without the proof how do they expect people to believe them over anyone else?
  26. Mar 7, 2012

Persian-Fred Banned

:lol: At the comment. I've have some pretty good ones too.

But yeah, the video definitely leaves a lot of questions unanswered, like why hasn't the Ugandan government done anything to stop Kony before? If this was taking place in any other country, that person would be killed within 24 hours. Like I said, I can't comment much on the discrepancies because I don't know about it myself, but it's certainly food for thought.
  27. Mar 7, 2012

Team Brian GB Baby Cameron loves X-Factor

Supports:
    Chelsea
    That is like saying why wasn't Bin Laden killed before 2011, these things are not typically easy.
  28. Mar 7, 2012

Persian-Fred Banned

I'm fully aware of that, and don't try to drag me into a debate about this.

There are arguments both for and against InvisibleChildrenInc - I was listing a couple that I'd already seen.
  29. Mar 7, 2012

Team Brian GB Baby Cameron loves X-Factor

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I am not debating anything, I am just dismissing this idea that we can get involved in a conflict and find the opposing antagonist quickly - our experience of Iraq and Afghanistan of recent years should tell anybody that these individuals are often very difficult to find.
  30. Mar 7, 2012

Kaos Full Member

[​IMG]
  31. Mar 7, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

"It's pompous twaddle with no relevance to fecking anything."

That line in particular didn't make much sense. It talks about facebook, and how easily connected we are, bringing it to its final point, of how the best way to raise awareness for something, is publish it where lots of people can see it. Where better than facebook? Strange, strange blog.

Usually, that makes sense. "Like to raise awareness for cancer" I'm sorry, but who the hell isn't aware of cancer? Liking that does nothing, however sharing that video makes people aware of something no one knew about 24 ours ago.
  32. Mar 7, 2012

PhilipB Too soft for Dublin

Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
    :lol:
  33. Mar 7, 2012

Kaos Full Member

If anything its the other way round.

Raising awareness for cancer means raising awareness for the various charities that work to increase funding for cancer research, which as we speak are striving to further understand the pathology behind cancer, and can hence work to develop more effective treatments.

However people just seemed to have watched this one video and have immediately jumped on this Kony bandwagon, with only an extreme minority bothering to look up this organisation and whether they're in anyway credible.
  34. Mar 7, 2012

Theres a big call not to donate money to the IC because they don't spend it as well as they should. That doesn't mean to say no one should get behind the awareness campaign though.
  35. Mar 7, 2012

Ignoring the blogger's personal opinion it was a decent summary of all the negative things I had read about the IC. As I have said I fully support the intention of raising awareness about Kony to make him infamous (not famous as they say, IMO infamous is more accurate).
  36. Mar 7, 2012

Kaos Full Member

Spreading awareness is fine, this Kony fella is clearly a horrible scumbag who deserves the worst he can get.

I'm just saying people ought to be more sceptical over donating to this particular organisation. Its a frightening testament to how easily fickle or swayed people can be.
  37. Mar 7, 2012

LARulz Full Member

Exactly. I applaud them for raising awareness and getting people talking about it but people for the most can be incredibly stupid and just not think logically. Many of the general supporters who could see this as a fad are not asking where the money is going/how it is being spent etc. Many people on my facebook page are just supporting them blindly which is just stupid.
  38. Mar 7, 2012

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    What does this even mean?
  39. Mar 7, 2012

Zen86 Full Member

[​IMG]

This picture worries me, if these actually are the founders of Invisible Children.
  40. Mar 7, 2012

jveezy Fo' shizzle

Taking ‘Kony 2012′ Down A Notch | Justice in Conflict

I think most people wouldn't disagree with the notion that awareness is usually a good thing. Overall the campaign may have some positive indirect effects. I just feel like the focus on one man that is already being hunted is a bit misguided, especially if there's a good chance that removing him from the equation isn't going to change much for the Ugandan people.

I think it's simply easier for people to get behind a cause when you put a single face to your enemy. Somehow it's easier to get people riled up when you say "This man is a criminal" rather than some general statement like "Let's work to stop the violence in North Africa".