Summer Left Back Thread - back with a vengeance

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by VP89, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 4, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Interesting to see last year's left back thread. The most recent reply to it was made by the end of the summer and was pretty accurate:

So summer is here, and a LB seems reportedly on the cards with some links here and there. Romano has today said however that we haven't really entered talks for Sandro, who seemed the most obvious target.

So who is it we're after really? Surely Jose doesn't love Young that much does he!? It could be that we are waiting to tie up Fred/Dalot first, but reports for Sandro don't seem as clear cut as thought. Bepe Marotta seems keen on having him renew.
  2. Jun 4, 2018

Paranoid Android New Member

There's something in Tierney that screams to me, United player. But I can understand a possible reluctance to sign a young British full back again instead of proven, current top quality.

But I really like the look of the lad, I must say.
  3. Jun 4, 2018

bond19821982 Full Member

Think we have other options open and not just Sandro(no fecking clue who that is though)

Didn't Telles and Grimaldo had good seasons? Tierney & Bertrand are also probable options.

And hows Gaya doing now?
  4. Jun 4, 2018

Reiliano New Member

Tierney. For the love of god...buy Tierney
  5. Jun 4, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Tierney looks brilliant, has to be said.
  6. Jun 5, 2018

drdoityourself Full Member

With 12 assists in the Bundesliga, Augsburg's Philipp Max is someone who is intriguing to me. A fantastic crosser it seems.

Son of Martin Max, the legendary striker.

He's not making much noise at the moment, didn't make the German squad for the World Cup even though left back is arguably their worst position.
    Does anybody know more about him? The second highest in assists in the Bundesliga, is he just not a good defender?
  7. Jun 6, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Let's talk about Luke Shaw again; does anyone think that with our coaching changes that we can finally get him to fulfil his talent and save us millions? I know it's a long shot because he's been such a disappointment but does anyone still have hope for this guy? Obviously it's a huge risk going into the new season without a new left back, but will Jose give him another go?
  8. Jun 6, 2018

AgentP Full Member

We can't afford to wait one more year. We have to get a new LB. But Shaw can choose to stay here and prove himself as he has one year left on his contract.
  9. Jun 6, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Alex Sandro.
    No newbie from Celtic or other nobodies.
    Fix it and do it proper.
  10. Jun 6, 2018

Bearded One Full Member

I'd rather have Sandro than every one else on the market. He had an outstanding season two years ago but I'm not sure what has happened to him since then. It appears he was pushing for a move at some point but he definitely experienced a drop in his normal level last season.

Be that as it may, his experience playing at the biggest of stages is a point you can't look past and one of the reasons why I'd give him the nod ahead of a Tierney who also is very brilliant in his own right.

Sandro's physical attributes would suit the premiership but a even more than that, he is a very good footballer.
  11. Jun 6, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Starting to think we aren't getting one. I think Jose wants Sandro but if it doesn't come through, he has no problem relying on Yong all season and probably moaning and griping about Luke Shaw at the same time but making no moves to ship him out. Same as he's done the last two seasons. I don't mind him chucking players under the bus to be honest, it's not something that bothers me personally, but what I have no time for is people who moan but do nothing to change the situation.
  12. Jun 6, 2018

andyjgt1 Banned

Supports:
    Man City
    Give Shaw one final chance, rotate Mitchell and Young as backup, with Rojo as 4th string. Maybe even use CBJ (wishful thinking but he wasn't bad under LVG).
  13. Jun 7, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

Is Sandro really as easy target? This idea we can get a player from any club is simply not true.

He’s at Juventus. So unless we offer some ridiculous amount of money that the player isn’t worth then we will not get him.

It’s the same story with Verratti, Kovacic and Bale.

I can’t believe no one has bought Jonas Hector. Every time I see him play for Germany he is top class.
  14. Jun 7, 2018

criticalanalysis Full Member

+ 1.

Believe.
  15. Jun 7, 2018

TehRed Full Member

Even assuming that his lifestyle away from football is on the right track, one of Jose's main issues with Shaw has been that Jose feels like he has to give Shaw every instruction of what to do and when to do it in every situation that arises on the pitch. He's said before that he's having to think for him in order for him to do the right thing. Shaw will need to come around to Jose's way of thinking, the way that Jose wants his full-back to play, and then execute that plan on the pitch without being prompted.

Unless Shaw can impress Jose in pre-season, he'll either be moved on, or continue to warm the bench. There's even a chance that Shaw may not last until pre-season if Jose has already made up his mind. I think if there's a buyer that gets in touch, he's likely to go.
  16. Jun 7, 2018

mohr New Member

We can't rely only on Young for another full season. Either give shaw a proper change to rotate with him or just buy a new lb.
    Whoever is it, I think any proper lb can improve our current state
    But i never know what's in mourinho's mind sometimes

Literally just saw his goal of the season in bundesliga :)
  17. Jun 7, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    I don’t think so. The coaches are just extensions of Jose, their job is to pass across and execute what Jose wants so unless someone takes a special intrest in him I don’t see much change.
    Personally i’d alright with Shaw being our main LB as when he played he was actually pretty good, he does look very gun shy but that seems to have been the consequence of that game against Watford last season where Jose destroyed him and blamed him when a move broke down on his side and he was pushing forward. Ever since then he’s been extra defensive and reluctant to go forward. Even this season when he did Jose was shouting at him to get back recently and not go forward so what really is the kid to do?

Maybe it’s just the timing of when he chooses to go forward and doesn’t that Jose has a problem with, which when Young has been caught out and made some absolute gaffs Jose has said nothing but yet shown trust in him so it’s a weird situation. Maybe another LB like Sandro might be good for Shaw and us if it means we get some natural width on that side and not someone like Young who kills more moves than he creates.
  18. Jun 7, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Kept saying last year that we should sign Robinson, it was clear he was a class act at Hull City and cost 2.5x less than Dalot!
  19. Jun 7, 2018

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Who is Robinson
  20. Jun 7, 2018

Sepukku Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yeah, give Shaw another chance, going into the fourth year without a proper left-back is definitely acceptable...
  21. Jun 7, 2018

Sanche7 Full Member

We couldn't have as we already had a young LB bought for big bucks. We had to give him a chance.
    Buying another young LB would have essentially meant game over for Shaw.
    We made a huge investment in him and like any investment, we tried to get the most out if him, tried to make it work for him

But this season, I truly believe that we are buying a LB.
    Out of all the players linked to us, we have been linked with almost all the available LBs.
    I believe we will get Sandro although it may take some time.
    Our targets may also depend on what happens regarding Bale
  22. Jun 7, 2018

Wheato New Member

Seems to me that Jose just doesn't like him. How many times has he singled Shaw out in public? He hasn't done that with any other players. Even Fellaini gets praised for 15 minutes of elbowing. I reckon Shaw will end up being pretty decent for someone else in the PL. Although, having just watch Dalot's highlights on Youtube, he seems to have much more to offer in terms of ability. Shaw is fast, powerful and can whip in a decent cross. This new lad can do all of that, but on both wings! DD can defend, and he has more influence on the game in terms of goals and assists. His potential is far greater than that of Luke Shaw.
  23. Jun 7, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Dilute to taste juice.
  24. Jun 7, 2018

AgentP Full Member

I can't stand one more season of Young cutting back to cross on his right foot. Buy a proper left back who can deliver a good cross with his left.
  25. Jun 7, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Agree 100%
  26. Jun 7, 2018

luke511 Full Member

I really want to see Shaw given a consistent run of games, because if he is he'll get his fitness back and get back to top form. Only problem is I can't see Mourinho changing his approach towards him, which means we'll be seeing plenty of appearances from Young if we don't sign a left back. I'm done with seeing Young in a utd shirt. This is Shaw's first proper pre season since his injury so here's to wishful thinking that it gets him back to where he should be.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  27. Jun 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Isn't Tierney playing in the Scottish league? If so, that's the equivalent of playing in the Championship, in this country.
    There is no way that we should ditch Shaw, for someone who is playing at the level of a Championship side. Shaw is EPL quality (not top 6 quality, but definitely better than Championship).
  28. Jun 7, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

You can't write off a player mindlessly just because they play in the Scottish league. Check out VVD.
  29. Jun 7, 2018

luke511 Full Member

Bale played as a full back in the championship at one point, means nothing.
  30. Jun 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

VVD went from the Scottish league, to Southampton.
    He proved himself there, then finally got a move to LFC.
    The jump from Scotland, straight into MUFC, is so big that a player could get squashed by the pressure/expectation placed upon him, so quickly. IMO, this is what happened to Shaw - the step up from Southampton to MUFC was too big.
  31. Jun 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

How old was he when he did this?
    Did he got straight to Spurs and go straight into the 1st team?
    Or was there slow/consistent progression?
    At MUFC, we need players to come in and perform instantly. That is the beast that is MUFC. Remember, the player who comes in, is expected to do better than Shaw....not worse and he must be able to handle th pressure/expectation/stress than comes with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the World.
  32. Jun 7, 2018

luke511 Full Member

This is bollocks, Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Beckham, Vidic, Ronaldo etc. weren't at the peak of their potential when they broke the first team, what's changed? If anything we should look at our past and follow what made us as successful as we were in the first place.
  33. Jun 7, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

VVD became one of the best centre backs in the league in a short time after joining Southampton. In other words, he didn't need to "step up" from the Scottish league.

Tiernery has bags of talent. The suggestion that we shouldn't go for him because it's the Scottish league is Bizzare. Half the caf is boning over Dalot who mostly played in Porto B team FFS.
  34. Jun 7, 2018

Kostov Full Member

Shaw was given a chance and he was good, even a MOTM performance if i’m not wrong, then Young came back from suspension and went straight back in the team. Young had plenty of shit games also, but was never singled out, so me thinks Jose is being a wanker here.
  35. Jun 7, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Tierney is miles ahead of Luke Shaw and is who we should be after imo.

Plays with passion and aggression, something our side lacks.
  36. Jun 7, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    He’s played like 7 senior games has he not. So the rest of the footage is under 21’s or B team. He got 2 assists in a 5-1 game in Ligue Nos which is decent but do people forget how good Luke Shaw was at Southampton? At a younger age as well.

(should have more assist to his name going off that video also :lol:)

So for me I wouldn’t say his potential is “far greater” Based on what I’ve seen he doesn’t look as talented, but talent only gets you so far so hopefully he does better than Luke has here and succeeds and becomes the player we all want him to be. We had one of the best talents in Europe at LB and so far he hasn’t quite cut it, be it him or management Something didn’t work out but hopefully it will for both.

Heck we only have to look as far as Renato Sanches to see what can happen to promising young talents.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  37. Jun 7, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Who here thinks this isn't a priority? I really want to understand the reasoning.
  38. Jun 7, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Jose it seems :(

39. Jun 7, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

If Dalot is our only fullback signing I will genuinely think that Jose doesn't know how to fix this team. I sound like a broken record saying this but it's so obvious how two fullbacks, and particularly a left back of the requisite quality would transform our team. If he can't see that now, he's destined to fail.
  40. Jun 7, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Caught between losing my shit and ignoring Delany.