Summer Left Back Thread - back with a vengeance

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by VP89, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 7, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

I'd actually want him gone. You can't spend the whole season complaining about the quality available to you then refuse to improve one of the weakest areas.
  2. Jun 7, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

It would almost be the last straw for me too, the purpose of giving him next season is to correct the obvious deficiencies in our team.

If we go into next season with Young and Valencia as starting FB's and the boring football is here to stay.
  3. Jun 7, 2018

Smores Full Member

I'm sure our hugely successful manager is completely unaware of our defencies, makes perfect sense.
  4. Jun 7, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

I like Shaw and would say give him the left back spot but Jose doesn't see it that way, for some or other reason doesn't like him or trust him.
    If we go back a couple of years ago under LvG, Shaw looked like our best player on the field, he had fight, desire getting forward and was a real threat from the left, then that dreadful evening at PSV happened(that happened in the box with him on his way to goal) and since then Shaw hasn't really been given the opportunity to have a run of games to get back to the levels he once had.
    I see a lot a people slate Shaw as being useless or not good enough, fat, lazy etc but how can you expect him to settle down and get on with it when he knows every opportunity he gets his game is being put under a microscope and one mishap or below par performance puts him on the bench again for the foreseeable future and he can get to hear how his manager tears him a new one in the press.
    What's quite strange is the fact that before Utd bought Shaw Jose was an admirer of him and wanted him at Chelsea.
  5. Jun 7, 2018

lsd Full Member

Rather give Mitchell a chance
  6. Jun 7, 2018

Craig Ward Full Member

He's had 2 years with this team and we still have no RW, we are still weak in FB areas and our "world class" manager is spending half the season begging Fellaini to sign a new contract.

I do think Jose is living on his reputation a little here, this season he needs to challenge for the title or get the boot.

We still have 4>6 players that aren't good enough and need to leave and we still need (after Fred & Dalot) possibly 3 players to come in.

He's hardly rebuilt the squad since he's come here has he
  7. Jun 8, 2018

andyjgt1 Banned

Supports:
    Man City
    Sir Alex, a better and even more successful manager, seemed unaware of your deficiencies in CM in his latter years.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018
  8. Jun 8, 2018

Smores Full Member

So much so that he convinced Scholes to return? He was very aware.

Blimey the idea that Sir Alex couldn't see what this entire forum could see is hilarious. How can you actually suggest that in all seriousness?
  9. Jun 12, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

10. Jun 12, 2018

Oscar.Z.Acosta Full Member

I hear Luke Shaw has trouble with the new self-ordering machines in MacDonalds so I predict we will not need to buy anyone.
  11. Jun 12, 2018

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

12. Jun 12, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Can't be arsed.
    When we are complaining about our fullbacks during the season, remember who deemed them good enough.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  13. Jun 12, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Well if Mourinho keeps the same fullbacks and then moans mid season. He should be shown the door.
  14. Jun 12, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

I wouldn't mind Young and Shaw on the strong assumption that we give Shaw a run of games to actually perform to the level we know he can be at.
  15. Jun 12, 2018

beergod Full Member

Probably a case of waiting for Blind/Darmian/Shaw to find new clubs before bringing in another player. Jose doesn't like selling at fire sale prices and buying before selling these players reduces the club's leverage.
  16. Jun 12, 2018

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Jose has to try and balance a budget. We also have Mitchell to come back who is a promising young player. If Jose has changed his mind I don't think it's because he's changed his mind so much but rather relocating that budget for another position. We have money but we don't have unlimited funds and I think it's just a case of waiting and seeing. Beergod also is right. We've sold no one yet
  17. Jun 12, 2018

Jojo <3 Mou Full Member

+1
  18. Jun 12, 2018

Jojo <3 Mou Full Member

I think if we are prioritizing, a right sided player is more critical than a left.

I'm still not sure about our centre backs, I think they are all decent but none of them fill be with awe. An experienced CB might make a difference.

The midfield is where the most work is needed. I think we need a 10/attacking midfielder and a right sided attacking player to complete the squad. And give the team more options.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. Jun 12, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Mourinho is digging his own grave if he fails to address the fullback situation this summer. No left back after 3 summers is a joke.
  20. Jun 13, 2018

J_XO New Member

This will come back to haunt us
  21. Jun 13, 2018

Seij Full Member

I don't think we are signing anyone for the left back position. Between Jose saying that Young will play 50+ games next season and no good source saying we've inquired/made an offer for any of the decent left backs (when people involved in our transfers seems to be the most leak prone than any other club in Europe), I'm not at all optimistic.
  22. Jun 13, 2018

Seij Full Member

Seems like we've been saying this every summer and the Shaw thing never pans out.
  23. Jun 13, 2018

sam147 New Member

If we dont sign Sandro-Bernat-Rose or an actual established LB this summer then im Jose out. He has had backing because he hasn't had his own team but when he is pandering to Fellaini and thinks Valencia let alone Young is good enough for LB he is either past it or he knows he cant catch up with City and is deliberately setting himself up with excuses when he inevitably gets sacked.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  24. Jun 13, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Well we bought Dalot who can start making RB his own.

Last chance salloon for Shaw. We will buy a LB in January if Shaw doesn't hack it during the first half of the season (Assuming we don't buy a LB this window, which I don't think is a safe assumption).
  25. Jun 13, 2018

yo@Kirk Full Member

Mitchell played a lot better than anyone expected in his debut vs Crystal Palace. Mitchell played a lot better than anyone expected in his brief spell at hearts. Keep giving him challenges until he doesn't play a lot better than anyone expected, imo.
  26. Jun 13, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

If by not buying a LB this summer, means that we will get Kieran Tierney next summer, then it is not halfbad.
  27. Jun 13, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

That article making out not signing a left back is some sort of genius.is amazing.
    Best comment was about the "progress" Shaw has made.

If playing about ten games with about two better than mediocre, is progress ,id hate to see what stagnating is.
  28. Jun 13, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

He must have supreme faith that Fred is going to revolutionise our whole team
  29. Jun 13, 2018

NoPace Full Member

What? We didn't sign a single proper central midfielder after the Anderson-Hargreaves summer for the next 4-5 years! It made sense to give those signings a couple of years but obviously by 2010 we could have signed one of Yaya or Khedira (who both moved) or Gabi or a bunch of other players who went for cheap and would have complimented Carrick and Fletcher.
  30. Jun 13, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

I can understand not signing a established right-back. If you sign a right-winger or finally start playing Sanchez there.
    I cannot understand not signing a established left-back.

I'll reserve "judgement" until the season has settled around January/february, but I just cannot fathom how the team will improve significantly without fixing the glaring issue with the quality of our left-back position.
  31. Jun 13, 2018

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Demetri Mitchell and Dalot as our fullbacks.
  32. Jun 13, 2018

andyjgt1 Banned

Supports:
    Man City
    Agree there, Mitchell/Shaw and Dalot/TFM should battle it out to be first choice, unless TFM is considered to be a midfielder or CB from now on (if so, maybe Tuanzebe).

Unfortunately, I can see Mourinho making yet another unneeded signing like Lindelof, who is not better than TFM or Tuanzebe even now (at RB he is demonstrably worse). I still cannot stomach the fact that a 24-year-old Swede was bought as a developmental player to take time away from two players who truly are developmental and who both have far more potential and arguably more current ability. Lindelof at RB and Blind at CB v Derby rather than Axel and Victor respectively was utterly ridiculous.
  33. Jun 16, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Seems Mourinho has switched his attention to a back up striker, and will trust Young and Shaw for the LB berth again this season, if we are to believe the media.

I would love to see Shaw getting more game time, but without Mourinho shouting and bawling at him all the time. His confidence has been shattered by all this, and Mourinho should lay off him and allow him play his own game. I think he could get back to the player he was, and save us a fortune if he was allowed.

A little arm around the shoulder could do wonders for him, and bring out his best side. He has all the qualities to become one of the best full backs in Europe.
  34. Jun 16, 2018

soap Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

Well Young is definitely staying, so Shaw will definitely leave if we buy another LB. There's no sense in having 3 senior left backs in the squad.

Normally I'd like the idea of going for a British prospect like Tierney but I really don't wanna have to rely on Young if it doesn't work out so a proven player like Sandro would be my choice.
  35. Jul 21, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Has Grimaldo been linked with anyone? Watching Benfica-Sevilla now in a pre-season game. He's around 22 I think. Looks very good going forward.
  36. Jul 21, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

This comment was written a year ago:

I've read similar comments are being written again, this last month, so some people are not learning.
    And when I write of Shaw, some of his supporters are getting quite aggressive...which is funny.
    It's as if me, sunama, is responsible for his failure at the club and that if they can shut me up, Shaw will realise his potential.

Jose needs to make it an absolute priority to get shot of Shaw, if only to get him off our wage bill. The problem Jose has, is that Shaw is happy to collect a wage, sitting on the bench, so he can't even threaten to put him in the reserves. Shaw will probably love that and will walk next season on a free transfer, when his contract expires.