1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Sunday Supplement (2018 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sanchezter, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Apr 1, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Notice how the journalists with the loudest voices are the ones who seldom attend the press conferences of the manager they like to tear down.

Ollie Holt wouldn't last two minutes in a Mourinho press conference.
  2. Apr 1, 2018

AshRK Full Member

I hate when anyone tries to bring how United and city were equal when Jose and pep took on the Manchester clubs. Yes points wise they were equal but apart from that city were miles better than us before both managers took their jobs here. City at one point were closest to Leicester but kdb',sinjury and city announcing pep killed all the momentum. Also, let us not forget they reached semi finals of cl while we couldn't go past the group stage. So no the quality of city's side was better and not similar to us.
  3. Apr 1, 2018

Antisocial Has a Sony home cinema

Added to that that City have basically been building the squad for Pep’s arrival since Cheeky and the other one turned-up from Barca and there’s no question that Pep started from a better position; Jose took-over a side that was designed by and for LVG and he’s had to make the squad for him, which is still a work-in-progress. Makes a big difference I think.
  4. Apr 1, 2018

Tyrion Full Member

I didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, Holt seems to idolise Pep (I think I remember him talking about Pep changing English football like he's some sort of missionary) but I don't disagree with some of what he said. Mourinho has lacked ambition at key parts of this season. He could have gone after Liverpool at Anfield when they were in poor form and we were level with City. He didn't and that seemed to kill our momentum. He could have gone after Sevilla in the first three quarters of the tie but didn't which meant we were screwed when they scored. Guardiola aims to win every game by a clear margin. Mourinho doesn't despite having a squad that's close to City's (not equal but pretty close imo) and sometimes it costs us.

That said, some of the criticism of Mourinho has been stupid. You'd think United were the Harlem Globetrotters given the way some journalists reminisce about the past. I've seen United under SAF being defensive and counter attacking and I'm in my early 20s. I also remember hearing some guy on football weekly say Mourinho couldn't create a game plan that could beat Liverpool or Spurs. Seemingly forgetting that earlier in the season (2 weeks earlier in one case) Mourinho created a game plan that beat Liverpool and Spurs.
  5. Apr 1, 2018

AshRK Full Member

Yes true, which is why I find it amusing when people say we should have gone for Pep. Pep was always going to city, it was the project that suited his profile. Won't be surprised if he played a vital role in city signing Kdb in 2015
  6. Apr 1, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

The fact that players like Kompany, Silva and Aguero are in line for only their 3rd league title shows actually how mismanaged the City side has been prior to Pep's arrival. Every year for I don't know how long City have had the best squad, everyone knew it and most started every season saying it but they had average managers in charge

League tables just papered over the difference in the calibre of players the two sides had
  7. Apr 1, 2018

Peanut Butter Banned

Thanks.

That Alison Rudd is unbearable. Didn’t know she supported Liverpool either.
  8. Apr 2, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

Law is a Villa fan but has well-sourced Chelsea connections.

I really loathe this programme. These hacks make no effort to hide their bitterness, pushing through an agenda. At least when Jimmy Hill was rambling he was able to offer a player's perspective.
  9. Apr 2, 2018

Speedicut75 Full Member

Jimmy would always plead with the assembled halfwits to "get the ball out", as the rest sought to drone on and on about the personalities and politics in the game.
    It's a thoroughly shit programme, and presents an agenda-strewn platform for the empty vessels in the print media to make much ill-informed noise.
    Glad I got that off my chest.
  10. Apr 2, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I met Brian Glanville once and chatted about a lot of football related stuff.

He was scathing about Holt:lol:
  11. Apr 2, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Holt makes me want to strangle a snake for some reason.
    Holt & ballbag on the same show... Only reason I can watch that stuff from time to time is to see Custis tear their agenda a new one.
  12. Apr 2, 2018

JustinC00 Full Member

So it's embarrassment for Jose to be off from City who had been building for Pep's arrival and since joining City has spent more money than Jose. While Jose took over a squad that was terribly built by Moyes and LVG. Which Jose has said he'd need a few summer windows to get the team he wanted?

ok but what about Conte & Chelsea? They fecking won the league last year and are 12 points from that embarrassment Jose and now 8 points from 4th

what about Pochettino and Spurs? 5th in '14, 3rd in '15 and 2nd in '16. If the table ended like it is now they'd finish 4th. Where is the shite for them going backwards? No excuse really.

what about Wenger and Arsenal? 13 points from 4th. 17 points from United.

what about Kloop and liverpool? Actually can't really say much about them they are basically doing what their expectations for that club are top 3-4.

For Feck Sake I get we live in the "hot taekz" era of sports punditry but United is the only other team in the league that has been better than last year which most would consider PROGRESS. City just made the progress faster because the team was better built for Pep when he arrived. I do like how people ignore that City finished 3rd last year 15 points off 1st. Don't seem to recall any "It's embarrassing for Pep to be so far behind Conte" talk and mind you Chelsea the previous year finished in 10th with 50 points and City was actually still kind of in the race before Pep was announced and they packed it and just settled for top 4 and finished with 66 points.
  13. Apr 2, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Yup. It's madness that people have forgotten how bad we were when Mou arrived and how off the pace we were domestically last season. I look at it like this:

Last season's order
    Chelsea: lost their best striker and apparently Conte hasn't had the board's backing - big drop in performances/results in general is therefore expected
    Spurs: similar team to last season, therefore you'd expect them to finish same/sightly lower given bigger investments by a number of other teams.
    City: Massive investment in the team that finished 3rd, they have improved dramatically. 1st position is expected, style of football is a bonus.
    Liverpool: Lost Coutinho but generally have invested. Expect them to finish similar position +1/-1
    Arsenal: The usual slow decline.
    Man Utd: Big investment and big improvement in results. Stylistically there are critics but +4 places in the PL on last year.

Current order
    City: +2
    Man Utd: +4
    Liverpool: +1
    Spurs: -2
    Chelsea: - 4
    Arsenal: - 1

Pep & City should take a lot of plaudits but I think Mou should get a decent amount of respect for dragging United past 4 very good teams in the table (hopefully we stay there). Conte has had an easy ride from the press given Chelsea were Champions and Wenger is just too old a story for people to be bothered with. They don't get many write ups but but for what it's worth Burnley are +9 places this year with a budget that's probably less than one City defender.
  14. Apr 2, 2018

Manchester Dan Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    How does that analysis look using points instead of league position out if interest? If you’ve got time. :D
  15. Apr 2, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

City: +23pts
    Man Utd: +8pts
    Liverpool: +6pts
    Spurs: -4 pts
    Chelsea: -19pts
    Arsenal: - 6pts

Discovered you can filter premierleague.com by matchweek and season. V helpful!
  16. Apr 3, 2018

TinFoil New Member

what did he say ?
  17. Apr 3, 2018

Angry Virginian Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Spurs's wage bill is the 6th highest in the PL. Man United is usually first or second on the wage table. The unconfirmed numbers from 2015-2016 suggest that United's wage bill (£232m) was 232% that of Spurs (£100m). Even Arsenal (£195m) had a wage bill almost twice that of Spurs. Every year Spurs finish in the top 4 is an achievement considering we are a club with limited financial resources compared to the rich clubs. In the past, we have finished in the top 4 a twice but not in consecutive years. We are on target to qualify for CL now 3 years in a row under Poch with every year in that punching above our weight. Sure, it would have been nice to have won something along the way but Rome wasn't built in a day for us Spurs supporters.

Source on wage bills - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club
  18. Apr 3, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Mourinho's comments regarding the players not being good enough, I found disgraceful and very childish; not to mention disrespectful since some of the current players had won a title under Fergie (Smalling, Jones, Valencia etc). Holt, or the other journo, did make a valid point that City and United finished equal on points when both Pep and Mourinho came in (United even won the FA Cup), plus it was not as if City were making headway in Europe before that as well (heritage, supposedly) that someone can factually argue that the team Pep inherited was significantly better than United's.
  19. Apr 3, 2018

Jamie L Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think United have definitely improved, no question. On my team, Liverpool though I also think we've improved because last year we scraped 4th without any European football. I actually think the top clubs in the league (top 4) are all really strong.

I actually think you'll be a lot closer to City next season, because in recent weeks, bar the odd horror show like Sevilla, you're looking a lot more cohesive.
  20. Apr 3, 2018

prath92 Full Member

They reached CL semis that season though. That city team ended level on points with us because the team was visibly underperforming since February (maybe after they announced Guardiola to join in the summer).
  21. Apr 3, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Oh, the semi-final completely left my mind. I guess there is one fact people can use :p
  22. Apr 3, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Basically if Oliver Holt can get a job writing about football for The Times, anyone can!
  23. Apr 3, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Weirdly Holt was defending Jose last time I saw him on about a month ago. Now he is enemy numero uno to some.
  24. Apr 7, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

For some strange reason I'm looking forward to tomorrow's edition. :p
  25. Apr 7, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Where's my popcorn?

*Right lads, who wants to first and praise Manchester United?... Ollie?*
  26. Apr 7, 2018

Litch Full Member

Trust me the focus will be more on how they let us off the hook than what we done to them in the second half.....
  27. Apr 7, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Anybody notice how late f365 16 conclusions are tonight?
    Its almost like they needed a complete rewrite.
  28. Apr 7, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

I can't stand what that site has become; even minor features like Mediawatch are now humourless and agenda-driven.
  29. Apr 7, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Sunday Suplement will just focus on Pep playing a weakened team, even though it was a strong team and he brought on the top guns. Absolutely no compliments will be given to United/Jose/Pogba.
  30. Apr 7, 2018

SuperiorXI Full Member

I said to my Dad I bet this is going to be the excuse when in reality they started with a strong side (someone add up the combined cost of that XI?) and ended with their best side and still lost.
  31. Apr 7, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

I think the theme will be ‘this is what happens when you don’t park the bus, we were right’.
  32. Apr 7, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Will make sure I watch it tomorrow.
  33. Apr 7, 2018

BusbyMalone Full Member

You just know they had the picture of the Emptyhad ready to put up in the background, champaign at the ready. Preaching about the cult of pep...

Fecking cretins
  34. Apr 7, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Will they even address the match? I'm expecting an hour of them burning and hanging Di Marzio effigies and Neil Custis screaming obscenities with a mouthful of croissant.
  35. Apr 7, 2018

AR87 Full Member

Storey's entire thing is to pretend that he doesn't have a bias while he fell over himself to blame anybody aside from Pep for the Liverpool debacle midweek and somehow managed to bring Mourinho into it as well.
  36. Apr 7, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Yep, they're truly anti-Jose.
  37. Apr 7, 2018

TinFoil New Member

It was good initially but since they started taking on more writers and hacks it's nosedived.
  38. Apr 7, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

:lol:
  39. Apr 7, 2018

DavidDeSchmikes Full Member

Sorry lads, no Custis, no John Cross, no Holt
  40. Apr 7, 2018

The Bloody-Nine Full Member

If you watch, you deserve what you get.