Surreal

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SATA, May 13, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012

SATA Full Member

What exactly had happened today? I just couldn't believe it, really couldn't. From getting ready to celebrate 20th to celebrating feck all in a matter of seconds. It was like a surreal dream and hoping you would just wake up and wishing today just didn't happen
  2. May 13, 2012

iguanamanc Full Member

It happened. Welcome to reality. Over the season, the better team won!
  3. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

Fed up with all this 'the better team won' ... did they feck. We blew it, handed them it on a plate.
  4. May 13, 2012

iguanamanc Full Member

The better team won - get over it.
  5. May 13, 2012

green demon Caf Nostradamous 2008

Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
    I don't think they were necessarily the better team - on equal points would say we were about equal.
  6. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

Why? What makes them a better team than us? I'm genuinely intrigued. And no you're alright, It'll take a little longer than a few hours to get over losing the title to those lot.
  7. May 13, 2012

Duffy Has a cheese grater fetish

The best team always wins the league - and lets be honest - through money they have a better squad. We have something that money can't buy though - drive, determination and a winning mentality. That's what got us so close and I have no worry in saying we will be back on top sooner rather than later.
  8. May 13, 2012

Sam Full Member

Agreed. It was the strangest I've ever felt watching a game of football. From the moment QPR scored the second, as every minute went by I got that little bit more confident. To the point, where after about 15 minutes, and with it still 2-1 , I just kept praying we'd score a second cos I couldnt see City scoring 2, especially after reading a few comments in the match thread about City players looking totally defeated. I thought the only way this could go wrong was if we fecked it up.

My United stream was also a few minutes behind, so I was basically relying on the matchday thread for info. But I was convinced we'd done it. 3 minutes left, 2 minutes left...Then suddenly, it seemed to go from 2-1 to 3-2 in what seemed like about a minute. And all that emotion turned from pure excitment/nervousness to utter despair. I kept refreshing the thread, praying that it wasnt true. In my mind, it just couldnt possibly be true. Like you said, it was just surreal.
  9. May 13, 2012

SATA Full Member

They did beat us twice in both league encounters on an aggregate of 7-1 proving they were the better team. But then if we had taken the title today, that means feck all
  10. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

I'm pretty sure Atletic Bilbao aren't a better side than us? Or Newcastle? Or Palace.

Teams show their quality over a season, we finished level on points with them without our captain and the worlds best centre back as well as numerous other injuries. Are they feck a better side.
  11. May 13, 2012

SATA Full Member

Exactly what i thought. If you want to concoct a perfect dream or rather a dream to make a person go crazy, today would be it. I just couldn't believe that just happened
  12. May 13, 2012

SATA Full Member

That's what City did, that's why they are celebrating today
  13. May 13, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

They had the edge over us this season due to the two derby matches. We matched them in every other game - we both won the same amount, drew the same amount and lost the same amount.

They aren't that much better than us, just a slight edge. It's not as huge as some would make out, especially the media.
  14. May 13, 2012

MUFAN79 Full Member

That was tough to take!Nearest thing to a heart attack watching both games.
  15. May 13, 2012

Sam Full Member

It really was a cruel cruel way to lose a title. Even when they equalised I didnt actually think they could hold on..even when they scored the second I didnt actually think it'd happen. But as the minutes ticked by, it just became more and more real. It was actually happening. We're gonna nick it, we're actually gonna fecking do this. They're into extra time, they're 2-1 down. feck, it's happening!

Then BANG! Just like that, it was all gone again. Horrible, horrible feeling.
  16. May 13, 2012

Cina Jimmy Lumsden (Moderator)

:lol: So contradictory
  17. May 13, 2012

Vinay Muppet in Training

I don't even feel sore about having come so close... It was City's to lose this title... It's no point feeling bitter about losing it!

Overall, they deserved it, surely! We were very mediocre for large parts of the season... It was a big transition season. Let's get our players fit and strong again for next season (Jones, Cleverley, Welbeck, Evans, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez etc.)... We'll be something else next season, I'm sure... Add Shinji Kangawa and you know that something special is building...
  18. May 13, 2012

iguanamanc Full Member

If anything else, they won the two head to heads. That's usually a good pointer. We fouled up at home against Newcastle, Blackburn and especially against Everton. City dropped 2 points at home!

United have done fantastically well to match them to the end of the season.

Next year I hope we strengthen and get our revenge!
  19. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

How is a team that has finished level on points clearly a better side?

It came down to goal difference, a 6 goal swing in injury time at OT in the derby whilst we were playing silly buggers with 10 men.

I will never admit City are better than us.
  20. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

Like I said, we lost twice to Bilbao and didn't beat Newcastle... You wouldn't say either of those sides are better teams.
  21. May 13, 2012

Chabon Full Member

I never once though we'd win, until the clocked ticked past 90. You never, ever let yourself think you've won until it's over. It's my golden rule as a football fan. And I broke it three times this season. Once when Arteta scored, then again when Rooney and Welbeck did a Yorke and Cole, and again at 90 minutes today.

What happened today, much like what happened those two previous times, it just does not happen. The eight point lead, the 4-2 with ten minutes to go, the scoring twice in injury time to win the title, these things just don't happen. They just don't.

I hate this stupid sport.
  22. May 13, 2012

iguanamanc Full Member

No, but they won. Ultimately, results count.
  23. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

I think it has more to do with City being a more clinical side infront of goal. We miss a ridiculous amount of chances, even today. Put a few more of those away, coupled with Vidic being fit and that goal difference is completely different.
  24. May 13, 2012

Paz Berba Lover who still does Spazzy threads

...corner by Beckham, punched out by James.....CAN
    :lol: - ah so we lost due to 'injuries' - every team has injuries, makes me cringe when we (and any football club) talk about injuries as an excuse. Hopefully all football clubs have thought to plan a season factoring in a load of injuries these days!
  25. May 13, 2012

SATA Full Member

This season has certainly been an eventful one for all United fans, for all the wrong reasons

How these 2 minutes can completely change our moods around here. The Euros can't come quickly enough :(
  26. May 13, 2012

iguanamanc Full Member

I agree - but you're coming round to saying the better team throughout the season won.

I'm as gutted as you. Next year, hopefully, the positions will be reversed.
  27. May 13, 2012

You said teams show their quality over a SEASON. City won the SEASON.

It went to goal difference and the fact is that City throughout the SEASON scored/conceded more/less goals than us, and they bet us both times along the way.

The best team won the league this season, as has been the case every other season. Deal with it.
  28. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

I'm a football coach and you'd be surprised at how many club staff work extensive hours during the summer to devise the seasons training schedules to AVOID injuries. City have the best football data analyst in Europe, as well as the top conditional experts. No coincidence that we are top of the injury league by quite a distance and that they are bottom.

Pretty naive to laugh it off.
  29. May 13, 2012

Minkaro Full Member

I watched the game in a local pub, one room had our game on, the other room had theirs. When full time went in our game, I made my way into the other room with United as champions. As soon as I walked through the door, City were champions.

Mental.
  30. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

I love all the twitter esque paragraph enders we see on this forum at the moment 'Get over it'... 'Deal with it' as if it's the end of that conversation.

Over the course of the season? 5 weeks ago, we were 8 points clear. It took a monumental bottle/feck up job on our part to bring City back into the equation. Does that mean they're a better side than us? Of course not. Do you really think Fergie and the players believe City are a better team?

A lot of people have been so readily able to say City are the better side based purely on the fact they won the league, without going into the details.
  31. May 13, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    You think City's medical/conditioning team is better than ours?

Sometimes injuries are bad luck. Sometimes it's just something young players go through. City's lack of injuries this season is much more likely to having a team of established stars (with very few youngsters) and old-fashioned jammy good luck than any kind of cunning strategy by their medics.
  32. May 13, 2012

Minkaro Full Member

Yes. Owen Hargreaves managed four games for them in one season.
  33. May 13, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

They began pre-season two weeks after us, played 4 less pre-season friendlies and weren't back into full training hours until the start of August compared to us in mid July.

I agree obviously you cannot compensate for a lot of injuries, especially the more freak types like Vidic but even then he had been struggling with a niggle through the start of the season. I do believe they have a better conditioning/medical side than us yes. We've now had 4 years in a row of ridiculous injuries, mostly related to overuse.

Again I agree about the younger lads, getting used to their bodies and finally recognising their bodies potential etc. However a lot of our injuries have been to our established, prime age players... Nani, Young, Valencia, Evans, Hernandez ( exception could be made due to his 3 years of football without a break), Anderson.
  34. May 13, 2012

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    It doesn't actually. But this time it did, marginally.

The head-to-head games, the last minute fight-backs against Spurs, Sunderland and QPR, and the general style of play all show it.
  35. May 13, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Year of the blues

City winning bragging rights in Manchester - Everton on Merseyside, and Chelsea in London for winning the FA Cup.
  36. May 13, 2012

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority"

Essentially the City game was a microcosm of their season.

Took the lead but only a slender one, blew it spectacular style and then just about scraped through in the end.
  37. May 13, 2012

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority"

And it now feels like we lost the title twice. I had made by peace with losing it agter the City game, gone though a mourning period and all. Only fter the 88th minute mark today, I started to believe and was reeled in thinking we were going to win it. Those 5 minutes of delusion were crushing. Sickening way to lose a title.
  38. May 13, 2012

And they were 5 points clear for quite a while too, and they fecked that up so that we were 8 points clear. So what? What's the difference?

The table at the end of the season is what's important, after all 38 games have been played. They won the league and rightly so because they were the better team this season. Played better football, scored more goals, and bet us twice.

It's bordering on RAWKish to say shit like "They only won the league cause of decisions that went against us and injuries etc etc".
  39. May 13, 2012

Annihilate Now! Broke the caf 07/01/14

Same here. I had made peace with City winning the title before todays game... I was perfectly happy walking to the ground and was just saying how I'm just here to watch a decent game of football.

fecking football... I wish to god they had smashed QPR 7-0, I would have been perfectly fine right now had that been the case.
  40. May 13, 2012

RK Full Member

I don't understand this head-to-head nonsense.

1) City beat us in the 2 league games we played against each other.
    2) We finished the season level on points

"How!?" you cry? It's because each league game is worth 3 points. Outside the head-to-heads, we gained 6 more points. Does that mean we deserve the league? No. City do. But breaking it down to individual matches to indicate which team is better is not valid. The final total is what matters.

However, City did buy the league while having an incredibly lucky season with injuries.