Tahith Chong

Discussion in 'Reserve/Youth Forum' started by KM, Mar 22, 2016.

1. May 10, 2018

Kearnkoff69 Full Member

Still very raw, but he has loads of potential and has shown flashes. I would love to see him debut.
  2. May 12, 2018

buchansleftleg Full Member

Not sure it's going to happen. He was out late on Friday night with his family catching a movie.

He seems a really great lad. The last young United player I met before they were famous was a young lad called David Beckham, so hope that bodes well
  3. May 12, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

I’ve no problem with him not getting any minutes this weekend.

He’s just had his first season with the u23s at the tender age of 18. I know a lot of players make it at that age and he’s excelled but I don’t think there’s any harm in bringing him through slowly.
  4. May 13, 2018

Rozay Master of Hindsight

Your last paragraph appears to be a contradiction. As you said, a lot of players have made an impact at 18. It is true that there is ‘no harm in bringing him through slowly’, so if he hadn’t ‘excelled’, as you put it, then that would be exactly what we should do. However, given the fact he has indeed excelled, he should be rewarded. 18 years old is a proper professional footballer age now, I think of a kid at that age shows he could offer the team something, I don’t think he shouldn’t be played just because he’s 18.

Give him a chance. He’s done more than Angel Gomes has this season to warrant being involved in the first team in my opinion, and I suspect that if he had ‘played a key role in England’s WC win’, he’d have made his debut by now, just as the rest of that squad has for a whole host of top clubs after basically being bullied into it by the media.
  5. May 13, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Pretty much all of those that have been around their club's senior sides have been before the tournament even happened so it's hardly because the media bullied them into it.
  6. May 13, 2018

datura Full Member

Given he's likely to be involved in the preseason tour, this is a nothing game and we have a cup final next week and the fans like to see the young kids get a chance it would be totally dumb to not have him and maybe Gomes and O'Connor on the bench. Reward for all the hard work this season.
  7. May 13, 2018

Hoof The Ball Full Member

This one is a no brainer. There's nothing to lose here. Chong should definitely get some game time today. A few other guys too, hopefully, but we'll see.
  8. May 13, 2018

Laurentiu amt New Member

Don't think he'll play, but I'm sure he's gonna be part of the 1st team starting with the 2019-2020 season. He's still underdeveloped physically.

He needs to bulk up to have a chance in the 1st team, even in these meaningless games.

Gomes looks a bit better imo.
  9. May 13, 2018

flappyjay Full Member

With a lot of the lads going to the world cup I expect him and Gomes to make our pre season squad. Hopefully they will impress enough to make a few cup appearances next season.
  10. May 13, 2018

macheda14 Full Member

Well that’s that
  11. May 13, 2018

Don’t think there’s much evidence of that this season.
  12. May 18, 2018

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

If he'd have done better in the youth cup game I reckon he'd have played. Fine margins.
  13. May 18, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

I think Mourinho's saving his debut for next season, I bet he'll be more involved with the first team. I'm also fairly confident we'll take him on the pre-season tour, would've been nice to see him but as long as he's in Mourinho's plans then I'm not too worried.
  14. May 26, 2018

Red4Life_#7 Full Member

Just read this in Men:

It was former United defender Clayton Blackmore, then working as a youth coach at the club, who encouraged academy chiefs to sign the youngster after seeing a clip of him back in 2016.

"The second I saw him I said, 'We have got to get him'," he told MEN Sport. "The closest player I've seen to filling Ryan Giggs' boots was Angel Di Maria but Mr Van Gaal did not play him in the right position.

"He [Chong] could be the next one. He's playing on the wing, looking really good running with the ball as well like Ryan.”

Interesting... I thought it was Van Gaal influences in Holland that made us aware of him.
  15. May 26, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

You would have thought so but it appears our scouting network is doing its job
  16. Jun 6, 2018

TheFlagStaysDown New Member

Supports:
    Shamrock rovers

Absolutely has to go on tour, no need for Willian we already have one
  17. Jun 6, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Don't want to risk him in the league, if he gets major injuries, it would stop him from fro progressing. I hope he'll be on tour so I can enjoy watching him.
  18. Jun 6, 2018

Gerald G Full Member

With a number of our players returning late due to the World Cup, he surely must be going on tour?

I would expect quite a few to go actually.

Sanchez, Mata, Martial
    Herrera, Pereira, McTominay
    Shaw, Blind, Smalling, Bailly, Valencia
    Pereira

Those are our only players that will be available to start pre-season I think, which leaves a lot of holes in our squad and Chong should be one that goes.
  19. Jun 6, 2018

Utdstar01 Full Member

:confused: why wouldn't we give him a chance in the league if he's too good for U23 level? He's been by far our best player in the U23s and has shown he deserves an opportunity. I don't want to see talents being wasted.
  20. Jun 6, 2018

Let meee seeee thaaaat Choooooong
    That Chong, Chong, Chong, Chong, Chong.

Can’t see 76,000 singing that at OT, though :lol:
  21. Jun 7, 2018

deafepl Full Member

He's one of the most talented in the academy rank. I'm worried about being lightweight, he get fouled lot in U23 league, EPL is more physically than U23, I don't want him to get an injury because that would mean stopping him from progressing. Last time he had a major injury, he was out for a majority of the season. I have seen a lot of people getting an injury before they look like they are going to become very good. Injury can sometimes declare the players as they won't get back to the level they were. I don't want the same thing for Chong. I don't mind odd games and some games for 15 minutes camo.
  22. Jun 7, 2018

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    He does look class. Probably not close to being ready even though we currently are in bad need a RW. Wonder will he go on loan or is he worth an early punt into the first team.
  23. Jun 7, 2018

yo@Kirk Full Member

Three matches in six days to start the preseason tour, plus travel. Going to need a lot of players. I'm sure Chong will be included.
  24. Jun 7, 2018

haram Full Member

Chong is 100% going.
  25. Jun 7, 2018

reddevilzZ Full Member

Chong and O'connor has to be slowly put in the first team.
  26. Jun 7, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Him and Gomes are absolute certs to go on, especially with the fact that this is WC year. The real question is whether Greenwood goes or not.
  27. Jun 7, 2018

rampo Full Member

If Chong is really as good as people say he is (I haven't seen him live, so don't have an opinion), I would actually prefer signing Willian than throwing money on Greizmann/Bale - I know its not my money and all, I just think it makes sense. Signing Willian will provide more opportunities to Chong than signing Bale/Greizmann imo
  28. Jun 7, 2018

GM K Full Member

This kid is absolutely talented.
  29. Jun 7, 2018

Definitely needs to go on tour, and I must say, even considering any realistic signings we could make, he’s the player I’m most looking forward to seeing.
  30. Jun 7, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Signing Bale will give him a chance to play even more games as Bale will anyway be injured for most of the time!
  31. Jun 7, 2018

Utdstar01 Full Member

I'd love to see that but I'd be very surprised.
  32. Jun 7, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

Gomes put an instagram story saying getting ready for preseason, I reckon he knows he's going on tour already. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chong too.

Greenwood, it's a year too soon and I think Ethan Laird will be a knocking next year, he's showing maturity already.
  33. Jun 7, 2018

Gerald G Full Member

I agree with everything you've said. Laird looks really good but I'm not trying to get ahead of myself.

I think it's a year too soon for Greenwood, but our lack of talent upfront for our u23s may mean he has an outside chance
  34. Jun 7, 2018

In Rainbows Full Member

I think Greenwood has shown enough, if we're just going on quality of performances.
  35. Jun 7, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

There is no reason for Laird to go yet, O'Connor is better at CB and RB.
  36. Jun 7, 2018

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Lots of Chinese folks at OT so who knows, it might.
  37. Jun 8, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

He's very young, and time is on his side, but some of the performances I've seen him put in at 15/16 years old were outstanding.
  38. Jun 8, 2018

KevinJoh Full Member

He is not that young, 19 during next season, his body looks ready. I am more concerned for Gomes, but Chong looks ready for senior football. If Jose doesn't count on him this year, then move to Netherlands for a year would be good option I guess.
  39. Jun 8, 2018

bdspeedy Full Member

What about..... something along the lines of....Bang a gong, Tahith Chong, get it oonnn.... He does have hair that reminds one of the late, great, lovey and talented Marc Bolan.
  40. Jun 8, 2018

:lol: I just wish there was a right winger somewhere we could buy with the name of Cheech.