Team of the Decade Tournament (1960'S - 2010s)

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Raees, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Jan 30, 2018

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Feeling bored and it has probably been done before but which decade would win if there was a 6 team tournament, featuring the best sides over the past 60 years.

Rules

• 11 players only
    • Minimum of 2 years of peak in that decade to be eligible
    • Players can be used twice if they have the longevity to merit it
    • Be specific which guise of that player you're using i.e. Scholes SS version v DLP version (if necessary)
    • Try to base your discussion on who would win, based on which team is the most functional and will perform the best rather than which is the shiniest
    My own selections are as follows:

1960 (4-4-2):

Yashin
    Burgnich Vasovic Moore Facchetti
    Garrincha Beckenbauer Charlton Best
    Pele Eusebio
    1970 (4-2-3-1):

Zoff
    C. Alberto Beckenbauer Figueroa Krol
    Neeskens Breitner
    Blokhin Cruyff Rivelinho
    Muller
    1980 (4-2-2-2 'magic square'):

Dasayev
    Bergomi Scirea Baresi Brehme
    Matthaus Rijkaard
    Maradona Platini
    Rummenigge Van Basten
    1990s (3-5-2) :

Schmeichel
    Cafu Thuram Sammer Maldini Carlos
    Desailly Redondo
    Zidane
    Ronaldo Romario
    2000's (4-1-2-3 - false 9):

Buffon
    Zanetti Nesta Cannavaro Maldini
    Makelele
    Xavi Zidane
    Ronaldo Messi Ronaldinho
    2010's (4-2-1-3 - false 9)

Neuer
    Lahm Pique Ramos Marcelo
    Schweinsteiger Modric
    Iniesta
    Robben Messi Ronaldo

Analysis:

This ended up being alot tougher than I thought. 1960's is probably the shiniest and there were still names like Di Stefano, Coluna, Seeler, Dzajic etc which for me didn't make the cut but for other people will do. I think in terms of talent, that is probably the most talented era of football with the exception of maybe the 80's in terms of genuinely world world class players but there are slight question marks as to whether that 4-4-2 would work against teams who are well stocked defensively and can counter with pace. It is an attack-heavy side.

The team I love is the 1980's side, that midfield for me is the best bar none but others might not be convinced by the shape of the midfield. For me, it pays homage to the Brazil 1982 and France 1984 side and is representative of that era. Only issue is we are missing a more attacking right back there to provide width, maybe I should have selected Amoros, but Bergomi deserves to be in team of the decade for me.

The 1990's side is a thing of beauty tactically. You could put in Keano/Davids/Effenberg instead of Desailly, or sub in Kohler somewhere or put Baggio/Rivaldo in ahead of Zidane, but that era definitely suits a 3-5-2 IMO as the wingers in that era were talented but not all time great standard, Figo is more 00's than 90's IMO.

The 1970's team is probably the least flashiest to the naked eye, but the side is full of multi-faceted and tactically astute footballers, guys like Alberto/Krol arguably more all-round footballers than guys like Cafu/Maldini and there is some serious brain power in that midfield and endurance in that B2B pairing. Cruyff playing behind Muller, is freaking scary to deal with too and they probably have the best defensive pairing of any era.

Going to need more time to pick a winner, but I hand it over to you guys.
  2. Jan 30, 2018

Tostao_80 New Member

Good teams. Very hard to put Messi ahead of Titi Henry in the 2000s team. A whole decade of domestic and international excellence vs Messis full 08/09 (he was injured otherwise) and one decent Copa.
  3. Jan 30, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Your 90s team would win it, probably because it's the most coherent while some of the others are complete cock ups (e.g. that 80s magic square).
  4. Jan 30, 2018

Gio 6 times Redcafe Draft Winner

The 80s team looks a bit disjointed to be honest. I know Figo got the Ballon in 2000, but I think his 1990s portfolio is more persuasive than his post-2000 showings. More of a classic winger then as well in his Barca days.
  5. Jan 30, 2018

Feel free to post your own for any decade.. I was hoping to see some other alternatives. Found the 80's difficult, so much talent in certain area's i.e. AM or SS, but width wise not the greatest.
  6. Jan 30, 2018

Prometheus Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    They got Maradona, so they'd probably batter everyone else anyway.
  7. Jan 30, 2018

Fabian Keller New Member

No figo

no party
  8. Jan 30, 2018

Invictus Best Poster 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    '80s should win it, IMO:

[​IMG]

• The defense is probably the most sturdy and dogged of all the decades - and marshaled by someone who was arguably the best defensive organizer of them all (reckon he left a greater imprint on his team than Baresi as a puppet-master).
    • Midfield has a bit of everything and should be extremely dominant. Matthäus and Gullit are perhaps not 100% ideal fits in slightly restricted roles, but they were complete enough to make it work - Falcão and Breitner were tempting as well - maybe swap Gullit for one of them and unleash Lothar, though you will miss out on the Gullit + Van Basten/Rijkaard partnerships in that case.
    • Maradona as a seconda punta, of sorts (like vs. England and Belgium and West Germany in '86), and Van Basten can do his thing as the focal point par excellence.

Packed defenses were in-vogue over the decade as well, so it goes with the theme:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. Jan 30, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

[​IMG]

I Can't see past this 60s team.
  10. Jan 30, 2018

Gio 6 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Yeah I'd go with that. Would probably go with Forster in place of Gentile and swap him and Bergomi around, and maybe push Gullit right and pull Maradona left, but much of a muchness. Gerets is a solid shout for RWB too.
  11. Jan 30, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

It only got difficult because you wanted both Diego and Platini there! I can understand that leaving Platini out feels wrong, but given the constraints it creates on other positions he just has to be dropped.

Good effort from @Invictus although I would play Bergomi right and replace Gentile with Ruggeri or Forster.
  12. Jan 30, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    I think the 60s have the best back 5 and the best attack out of any side.

[​IMG]

Best should be there but with that front 3 there's no need.
  13. Jan 30, 2018

Invictus Best Poster 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Aye, Karlheinz is a great shout and I almost put him as a stopper in lieu of Gentile, but the all-Italian central trio appeal of Scirea + Gentile + Bergomi proved to be too tempting in the end. As regards Gerets, it's probably between him and Kaltz for the reserve right wingback spot across Cabrini.

TBH, even the Reserve defense of the '80s is top, top notch - almost as good as the starting unit:

[​IMG]

:lol:
  14. Jan 30, 2018

Did Beckenbauer play as a defender during the 1960's?
  15. Jan 30, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

He does when I’m the manager.

The Pele Eusebio Garrincha best combination is too much to overlook.