Teams that Attack and Press us

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Devilton, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012

Devilton Banned

Make us look pretty ordinary...

Barca did it.

Spurs did it.

Now Bilboa have done it.

We lose possession, make careless passes and look suspect at the back.
  2. Mar 8, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

I was thinking of starting a similar thread. Brophs made a point about it and it's very true. Liverpool always do it to us at Klanfield, and we have no response to it. The only reason we (just about) got away with it at WHL was because we had Carrick and Scholes, two of the best ball retainers in the league, and even then we really struggled to keep possession. The worrying thing is, we aren't well-enough equipped to handle teams who get in our faces, particularly on small pitches, and it's only a matter of time before teams pick up on this.

I'm not the type who'll spend all summer in the transfer forum, but I really believe we need a midfielder who can hold the ball, a Modric type player. We can't be left with just Carrick, and possibly Cleverley for next season.
  3. Mar 8, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

We have no bollocks in the centre of the park
  4. Mar 8, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

I'd like to see us press more as well, we sit back too much nowadays, although the age and composition of midfield could be the reason why.
  5. Mar 8, 2012

DomesticTadpole Full Member

We used to press teams years ago. Now we just stand off other teams and let them waltz through.
  6. Mar 8, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

To be fair, if you start Giggs and Jones against a quality midfield like theirs, we're gonna be punished. I thought Ando and Carrick did well until that shocker from Rafael.
  7. Mar 8, 2012

Devilton Banned

We need a Martinez type player in midfield. Someone who can get a good tackle in, but is technically adept and knows how to play a forward pass. We have the strength of a jelly filled donut in the midfield and our flanks are just as bad...the amount of times we're exposed down the sides is embarrassing considering we're supposed to be the team that's known for our wideplay.
  8. Mar 8, 2012

Raoul Administrator

Bielsa coached sides seem to have a fanatical intensity and workrate about them. Chile were very similar at the WC.
  9. Mar 8, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

It's so easy to bully us with this 4-4-2 tactic of ours. Especially when Rooney is only messing things up for the majority of the game. Giggs-Jones, Carrick-Park, Carrick-Scholes. We've been dominated with all three varieties.
  10. Mar 8, 2012

Theon Full Member

Their pressing was unreal at times, they looked far more motivated than us. Our passing wasn't good enough tonight to deal with their pressing, if we passed it quickly and moved the ball across the pitch then you can deal with it, but when we arent at our best and less confident on the ball closing down results is mistakes. I mean the number of long balls we made tonight demonstrates this.
  11. Mar 8, 2012

leviathan Full Member

Wouldn't mind if Bielsa succeeded SAF
  12. Mar 8, 2012

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

I've been saying it for a good couple of seasons. If a club comes
    to OT and plays the 11 in front of them as opposed to the reputation, we tend to get beat. No investment and a squad full of mediocrity, compared to the other European clubs (not necessarily other PL teams - as they are also declining).
  13. Mar 8, 2012

Leg-End Full Member

I find myself thinking that an awful lot these days. If we can't have the bollocks lets atleast have the quality to keep sustained possession but against the good sides we can't even do that at a decent rate.
  14. Mar 8, 2012

#07 Full Member

The truth is that we don't have that many players who are good with the ball at their feet in tight spaces, which is why Cleverley was such a revelation for us. Most of our players, not just 1 or 2, are not anywhere near the level of the Spanish teams' when it comes to close control and keeping the ball moving in tight spaces. The second we're under intense pressure the relative lack of technical ability gets shown up. The majority of our side are superb with space to run into but stick to them like glue and they haven't got the composure or capability to turn out of it.
  15. Mar 8, 2012

Roy Full Member

For me we have three major problems:
    1) Personalities - not enough big personalities in the team. No leaders out there.
    2) Technical ability - when pressed out players panic and are not assured enough in their technical ability. This is not only a midfield thing. Bilbao today showed exactly what a team full of technical players give you. We're without a doubt a better team man for man, but they played much better as a team.
    3) Huge distances between players. We rarely defend and attack as a team nowadays. The players are very far apart and this just exposes our lack of technical ability.
  16. Mar 8, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

We were much more organised when Quieroz was around
  17. Mar 8, 2012

Ish84045 raisa84045

How old is he? His teams are always fantastic on the eye, with a high work rate. I can see him taking over from Pep, in all honesty.
  18. Mar 8, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

It's genius, wonder why it's taken so long for teams to figure it out.

On the other hand, Bilbao have made Barca look pretty ordinary this season, just like Spurs and Barca have made many good sides look pretty ordinary this year...maybe they're just quite good teams?

Heh, this just sums up the caf. One game and the world turns upside down. Two games into the season and people are drooling over our 'brand new' Barca style football, then after one game we now need to sign Muniain and Martinez, we're technically incompetent and we should bring in Bielsa...and all of these things will go from being pretty uncommon suggestions a couple of months ago to very obvious solutions in a couple of weeks time.
  19. Mar 8, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Ferguson needs to take a look at his support staff and seriously consider if a couple of them are the issue. 2 years and we've still got the same fecking problems. It's time for a change and whether that's demoting Phelan or bringing a co-assistant it needs to be done.
  20. Mar 8, 2012

Devilton Banned

Knowing what to do, and actually doing it are two different things.

The aura of invincibility that we have has slowly crumbled in the last few years. This year at OT especially teams come in knowing they have a chance if they come at us.

If you think only Bilbao, Barca or Spurs know this then you haven't been watching us play closely. Or maybe it's them red tints...
  21. Mar 8, 2012

Well being fair to the side we've got we've had a lot of injuries this year and we've also phasing in a lot of younger players, it's a transitionary phase but the midfield is an issue that needs to be addressed urgently
  22. Mar 8, 2012

FreakyJim Full Member

That's a huge exaggeration though. I've seen the game, it was in Bilbao, very heavy pitch (raining), and Barcelona had more than enough chances. They didn't look ordinary, also they didn't lose the game.

Let's see how Bilbao will do at Nou Camp and then draw wild conclusions.
  23. Mar 8, 2012

Claymore Full Member

Brilliant topic mate, love it. Was thinking it during the game, when we get pressed we fall apart and lack the technical passing to deal with it. We hate it in fact.

Bilbao tonight didnt exactly hammer our goal non stop but they refused to let us have the football.
  24. Mar 8, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

There's no wild conclusions, Guardiola said it was one of their hardest games for a reason and Bilbao looked just as likely to sneak a win as Barca all game. Let's see how we do at the San Mames, people might be surprised.
  25. Mar 8, 2012

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

The thing that gets me is this is a better squad than the one that took us to the Champions League Final last season. What on Earth has changed? I just can't understand it, what is missing? Because I don't think even VDS in there would change the way we have been this season in Europe. Something is awry.
  26. Mar 8, 2012

Theon Full Member

Yeah I agree, Barca were by far the better footballing team and the keeper made some decent saves. Bilbao got a player sent off I think, and were defending for most of the game, although Munian and Llorente were excellent.
  27. Mar 8, 2012

Theon Full Member

Hernandez hasn't been as good, we're missing Vidic hugely and Fletch as well.
  28. Mar 8, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

We tried to change our style of football and it fell flat on its arse after the 6-1.

We should either have totally got behind it, or not at all.
  29. Mar 8, 2012

leviathan Full Member

No, its not just one game. Bielsa didn't become a good manager only today. He has been a good manager for the last decade or two guiding Argentina to Olympic medals, copa final (if I'm not mistaken) and his record with Chile is excellent. I will grant you that the 2002 WC campain with Argentina was a disaster. But his teams usually play attractive attacking football and by all accounts he's regarded as a very innovative coach. He may not be as fashionable as a Mourinho or Guardiola, but so what. If his record continues to be good by the time Fergie retires, why shouldn't he be considered for the post?
  30. Mar 8, 2012

Fair points, I suppose. I'm not really sure we're missing Fletch in the midfield desperately though, we need a proper defensive midfielder and this evening it was as though there was literally no one shielding the back four. It really pains me to say it but I just don't think Giggs cuts it for us any more, he's far too wasteful.
  31. Mar 8, 2012

mungy I am a terrible poster, please ignore me

We call RAWK but there are a fair few reactionary posters on this forum...see above thread for evidence.
  32. Mar 8, 2012

I've been saying it all season and if you look, Giggs losing possession has probably caused more goals against us this season than DDG making a mistake has. He has had a shocking season so far and I can only pick out maybe three positive things he has done. If he were Anderson, Carrick or Evans, he would be torn apart on here. I apologise for having an opinion on a club legend that isn't positive this season but I'm a realist, like Neville last season, Giggs' age is showing.
  33. Mar 8, 2012

Theon Full Member

Yeah I agree, he misplaces so many passes. He tends to try so many killer balls though which probably explains it slightly, when they come off often it results in a chance.
  34. Mar 8, 2012

Giggs has always given a specific remit to be the aggressive midfielder, that was apparent in his partnership with Carrick last year. Giggs creates with Rooney, Carrick sits.
  35. Mar 8, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

Quite frankly he's been a better winger then midfielder this year.
  36. Mar 8, 2012

I understand that but ball retention wins matches and he just doesn't seem to be able to do that.
  37. Mar 8, 2012

Siorac Full Member

Carlo Ancelotti said a few years ago that he likes games against Manchester United as we let the opposition play and attempt to play football ourselves. He specifically compared (and preferred as opponents) us to Liverpool and Chelsea.

And it's getting worse, we let everybody play with the downside that we sometimes can't get out of our own half.
  38. Mar 8, 2012

And even then, he cannot handle the game if the pace is too fast. He doesn't have the legs for it, which often leaves Evra exposed and considering Evra has also been a little suspect, it leaves a gaping hole in our left channel of the defence. Evra gets beat all too easily and Giggs just stands there near the edge of the 16 yard line, trying to catch his breath (an exaggeration, obviously).
  39. Mar 8, 2012

moses control

You could put almost any aspect of the game in there ... , defences win matches, width wins matches, goals win matches.
  40. Mar 8, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I actually still feel that he has a lot to offer as a winger. Okay, he has lost a lot of his deadly pace that he used to have, however his delivery is still top class at times. It could come in handy for us.