Ten Classic Roy Keane Rants -

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Chep, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Nov 1, 2007

Chep Full Member

Some of you may have seen it. I just came across it and thought i should post it. I love Keano's attitude.

..............................:keano::keano:.......................................................

1) THE ONE THAT GOT ROY THROWN OUT OF WORLD CUP:

Keane temporarily quits international football after a monumental slanging match with Republic of Ireland boss Mick McCarthy, in front of his team-mates in Saipan. Keane had expressed his frustrations with the side's preparations for the 2002 World Cup to the Irish Times, telling them: "You've seen the training pitch and I'm not being a prima donna. Training pitch, travel arrangements, getting through the bloody airport when we were leaving, it's the combination of things. I would never say 'that's the reason or this is the reason', but enough is enough."

That interview led to a furious row, during which Keane told McCarthy. "Mick, you're a liar... you're a fecking wanker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fecking wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks."

2) THE ONE THAT LED TO ROY LEAVING MANCHESTER UNITED
    Keane leaves Manchester United after attacking seven of his team-mates on the club's TV channel, MUTV. Keane's most stinging vitriol was reserved for Ferguson's record signing, Rio Ferdinand. "Just because you are paid £120,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar," Keane said. "The younger players have been let down by some of the more experienced players. They are just not leading. There is a shortage of characters in this team. It seems to be in this club that you have to play badly to be rewarded. Maybe that is what I should do when I come back. Play badly." Not surprisingly the video, originally scheduled as part of the Roy Keane Plays the Pundit slot on MUTV, was pulled at the insistence of manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

3) THE ONE WITH THE SNAPPED LIGAMENT
    After Keane suffered a season-ending knee injury while trying to trip up Alf Inge Halaand in September 1997, the Irishman stewed for three years before exacting his revenge in the Manchester derby. "I'd waited long enough. I fecking hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you cnut," he recalled in his autobiography in 2002. "And don't ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries. And tell your pal [David] Wetherall there's some for him as well. I didn't wait for Mr Elleray to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

4) THE ONE WITH THE PRAWN SANDWICH:
    Keane hits out at sections of United's support in the wake of what he felt was a dire atmosphere in the club's Champions League clash with Dynamo Kiev in 2000. "Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football?" he splutters. "We're 1-0 up, then there are one or two stray passes and they're getting on players' backs. It's just not on. At the end of the day they need to get behind the team. Away from home our fans are fantastic, I'd call them the hardcore fans. But at home they have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch. I don't think some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell 'football', never mind understand it."

5) THE ONE WITH THE RUN-IN WITH BIG JACK:
    Even as a teenager, Keane is not afraid to stand up to authority. Following a friendly against the United States in Boston in 1991, the Republic of Ireland team are allowed a night out. The next morning, with departure set for 7.30am, the team are kept waiting until 8am by Keane. A furious Jack Charlton says: "Nineteen years old, your first trip, do you have any idea how long we have been waiting?" Keane replies, without a hint of fear: "I didn't ask you to wait, did I?"

6) THE ONE WITH THE LETTER:
    In 2000, Manchester United write a letter to fans blaming Roy Keane's new £52,000-a-week contract for the hike in season ticket prices. Roy, unsurprisingly, isn't happy. "I'm not one for holding grudges but this was a stupid mistake, a bad public relations exercise and something that should never have happened," he thunders. "I'm still waiting for my apology but I could be waiting a long time. The board have tried to explain what they meant, that it was part of a wider picture of trying to keep the fans informed, telling them the club wanted to rebuild and strengthen, which is why prices were going up. The fact is nobody should be singled out in a letter. It wasn't right. I felt everything was being laid at my door."

7) THE ONE WHERE PLAYERS ARE "PIECES OF MEAT"
    It's 2002, and Jaap Stam's £16.5m departure to Lazio finds Roy unhappy. Again. "His transfer to Lazio illustrates how little power footballers have in the game. Contracts mean nothing," he fumes. "He has discovered that, to football clubs, players are just expensive pieces of meat. The harsh realities remain and when a club decide they want to sell there is little you can do once the wheels are in motion."

8) THE ONE WHERE ROY PROVES TO BE A FORTUNE TELLER:
    Just prior to United's make-or-break Premiership showdown with Arsenal in 2002, Keane questions the desire of some of his team-mates and warns - prophetically as it turns out - the Red Devils could end the season without a trophy. "There are a lot of cover-ups sometimes and players need to stand up and be counted," he admits. "I'm not sure that happens a lot at this club. That's the least we should do. We shouldn't have to demand it from the players - they should be proud to play and give 100%. We're not asking for miracles. We're asking them to do what they should be doing. When players don't do that it's bloody frustrating. We're going to find it hard to win the league and if we end up with no trophies there's something wrong."

9) THE ONE WHERE HE BLAMES THE YOUNGSTERS
    As United lose their grip on their Premiership title in 2004, Keane rounds on unidentified younger players, accusing them of not pulling their weight. "We have one or two young players who have done very little in the game," he spits. "They need to remember that and not slack off. They need to remember just how lucky we all are to play for Manchester United and show that out on the pitch."

10) THE ONE WITH THE IRISH BLAZERS:
    In 2001, Keane hints he might quit the international stage if Republic of Ireland officials continue to treat the squad like second-class citizens. Fresh from a brilliant performance in a 4-0 thrashing of Cyprus, Keane blasts the FAI. "Where we trained last Monday, in Clonshaugh, was abysmal and it has been for as long as I've known it," he says. "I was fairly critical about our seating arrangements on the flight out here, when the officials were sitting in the first-class seats and the players were sitting behind. For me that's simply not right and it's not just because I'm playing for Manchester United. The priority has to be the team - and I don't think that has always been the case here."
  2. Nov 1, 2007

anver Shart stop

Lost for words.
  3. Nov 1, 2007

reelworld Full Member

What?
    No "I'll fecking see you out there" to Vieira?

That's the greatest rant of them all!
  4. Nov 1, 2007

Brophs The one and only

You're forgetting the funniest part of that story, after Keane goes to sit down Mick McCarthy, the captain, turns to him and starts having a go, "You call your behaviour professional?". Keane apparently just said "You call what you have a first touch?"

http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=538&id=32202006
  5. Nov 1, 2007

MUFCgal Full Member

I couldn't find a transcript or anything like that for it but I've got the video...........enjoy :keano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcpFXOsrY8
  6. Nov 1, 2007

kotler 'I told Drogba where to stick it'

I beleive at some point he told Jaap : 'They sold you like a cow Jaap' or maybe i am wrong
  7. Nov 1, 2007

Broo Get a brew on

Of course he's a legend and he represents some of the best things about the game that we have lost in recent years but at the same time, I think there were times where it would have been better to keep his mouth shut. I think his rant against Quieroz where he called his training sessions "fecking boring" and, to a lesser extent, his MUTV rant were needlessly disrespectful, and were counterproductive as they didn't achieve anything other than to alienate himself from the club. That being said, it was his inability to silence himself, even when he should have, that made him such a key figure for United and such a great captain.

Anyone know who he was talking about in rant 9?
  8. Nov 1, 2007

Skholesy Full Member

"Jack Charlton says: "Nineteen years old, your first trip, do you have any idea how long we have been waiting?" Keane replies, without a hint of fear: "I didn't ask you to wait, did I?"

Made him sound a real brat, but class, isn't it....
  9. Nov 1, 2007

bananaman Full Member

nah heres my fave

Anyone who has ever played football, or drunk, with Roy Keane has a favourite story, and Lee Sharpe's goes back to the days when his Manchester United team-mate regularly used to punch and puke his way through the city's nightspots. Keane had been knocking back the drink one Saturday night, without any food, and was "absolutely smashed", according to Sharpe, when some Liverpool players walked into the bar.

It was Liverpool's Spice Boys white-suits-for-the-cup-final heyday and Keane started picking an argument with his fellow Republic of Ireland international Phil Babb. Sharpe can remember him shouting (with the expletives removed): "Who the hell do you think you are, Babb?"

John Scales tried to act as peacemaker and walked into another stream of invective. "You, Scales, you're rubbish as well, with your England B cap, you're nowt, rubbish." Then Jamie Redknapp came over, with his London patter and twinkling eyes, trying to smooth things over. "You, Redknapp, are you happy with your Under-21 caps?" Keane spluttered. "What the hell have you done in the game?" On and on it went. "All of which I thought was pretty funny," Sharpe cheerfully remembers. "Roy was a great lad, a great mate. He loved a laugh and to go out, but he had this blackness inside him I never understood, and it came out when he drank."
  10. Nov 1, 2007

tepper82 Banned

Genius!!!!
  11. Nov 1, 2007

Skholesy Full Member

Despite all these legend tags we put on him for his braveheart/antics, if that happened to me i would've thought he was quite a wanker just looking for trouble...i'd have decked him...(whether or not i would've left the place alive after that is another matter)
  12. Nov 1, 2007

RedRonaldo Full Member

What actually happened back then? Why Keano acting so angrily? And why Neville shook Vieira's hand so hard? :lol:
  13. Nov 1, 2007

Vidicious Flop

Keane was a great football player, but he is not a 'hard man'. I respect him highly but he is just a big mouth and I honestly think Shearer and Viera would have knocked the shite outta him, hence he talked the talk but when it came down to crunch time he did nothing about it. Also theres nothing to be proud of breaking a mans leg, its a cowardly act and I lost respect for him that day.
  14. Nov 1, 2007

Count Duckula Banned

I think I speak for the forum when I say feck off and never come back.
  15. Nov 1, 2007

Vidicious Flop

For expressing my opinion? Go feck yourself. If you think what Roy Keane did on that day was perfectly right you need help in the head, it was sick.
  16. Nov 1, 2007

BahamaRed Legend

I thought you were told to feck off.
  17. Nov 1, 2007

Vidicious Flop

You also clearly thought I gave a shit what you have to say.
  18. Nov 1, 2007

LizardKing First Team Regular

I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
    :lol:
  19. Nov 1, 2007

RedRonaldo Full Member

Ok can someone answer my question now? What happen back then when Keane was having a go at Vieira in the tunnel?
  20. Nov 1, 2007

Wembley Red Banned

93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09...10
    Viera was trying to act the hard man in front of gaz, and rightly so, keano intervened and viera had to back the feck down. :keano:
  21. Nov 1, 2007

crazy devil Hates arses and clams

Ruud on United: I always want to return here. No m
  22. Nov 2, 2007

Ole240599 Full Member

N Ireland vs ROI????? Never seen him take a backward step including with Shearer or Viera. Also, his tackling was the stuff legends are made from.
  23. Nov 2, 2007

Youngie Full Member

If memory serves that rant followed our stuffing at Boro and I'm pretty sure Keano had the likes of Richardson, Sheasy and Fletch in mind ...with a nod toward Rio and his 'Big Time' attitude.
    As ever Keano was probably right, but airing these views to the media rather than the dressing room was wrong!
  24. Nov 2, 2007

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

I don't remember an incident where he broke anyone's leg.
  25. Nov 2, 2007

reelworld Full Member

Dickhead.

Shearer and Vieira? poor attempt at wind ups.
  26. Nov 2, 2007

cloud218 New Member

I don't ever recall Roy backing out on anything.
  27. Nov 2, 2007

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    A great player undoubtedly. I lost almost all of my respect for him the day he broke Alfie Haaland's leg though. And when he rose to Shearer's BS and Becks + half of our team had to hold him back.
  28. Nov 2, 2007

OK enough. Banned

Redcafe star:Man utd for life. a player from Somal
    Legend.
  29. Nov 2, 2007

Floyd Doesn't like his Tagline played with

Keane never broke anything on Haaland.

A bad mistimed tackle though.

:smirk:
  30. Nov 2, 2007

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Good god I never knew that nothing physically broke... well they say you learn something new each day. And it wasn't horribly mistimed. Scholes tackles are horribly mistimed. Keane's was pre meditated. Still I never realised he didn't actually break anything. What was the extent of the injury for Haaland?
  31. Nov 2, 2007

Floyd Doesn't like his Tagline played with

He never actually played again because of an injury to his other knee.
  32. Nov 2, 2007

MUFCgal Full Member

You mean Vieira, the 'hardman' who fell down when a gust of wind came too close to him, and Shearer.........:lol::lol:
  33. Nov 2, 2007

RedRonaldo Full Member

Shearer? Vieira? I thought you could at least come up with someone better.
  34. Nov 2, 2007

Vidicious Flop

[​IMG]

His reaction after : I'd waited long enough. I fecking hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you cnut. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries.

Sick and cowardly.
  35. Nov 2, 2007

Vidicious Flop

Fair enough Vieira, bit of a pussy himself. I do remember Keane completely losing it against Shearer and Shearer didnt even flinch, he almost smirked.

OK, il pick Jaap Stam then :)
  36. Nov 2, 2007

Decotron Full Member

Ha ha good wind up, good effort. Anyone involved in boxing especially coming from where Keane did isnt "all talk" in my experience!!!! FFS look at the intensity in the mans eyes when "in battle" now it hardly takes mastermind to realise YES this fecker means business!
  37. Nov 2, 2007

thoward It's not a lisp!

Shearer knew he could get away with lots of things with refs etc, elbows, kicking people in the head etc. But he was not harder than Keane.
  38. Aug 31, 2009

Fergies Formula Full Member

I was just wondering, and without needing to start a thread of its own, was there ever any footage from the rant he did on mutv or did it never leak?? transcript???
  39. Aug 31, 2009

Red_Jamie Full Member

40. Aug 31, 2009

Red_Jamie Full Member

He didn't. He was shitting himself.

Watch it back again and look at Shearers face, he's absolutley shitting it.

He remained professional and probably didn't want to get sent off which is why he reacted like he did and didn't rise to Keane. And fair play to Shearer for keeping his cool, honestly, hats off to the guy.

But Alan Shearer was not harder than Keane... Not in a million years.

He was intimidated and didn't have a clue what Keano was gonna do.. But he remained professional and at the same time stayed on the pitch, which is fair enough.