That 1998 World Cup Final: France 3 Brazil 0

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by simplyared, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

I was on holiday at the time on Crete and watched the game from an outdoor terrace 35 degrees C. Brazil had looked unstoppable mainly due to a 22 yr old by name Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima. France were the hosts and the stage was set for the final all football lovers wanted to see.

Remember my first thoughts after the game without any influence from any other spectator. I couldn’t believe how Brazil could have put in such a bad performance in such an important match. I remember the next morning and the disappointment from the locals. (the Cretians were all behind Brazil). They were gutted, but not only were they expressing there discouragement for the defeat, they were outraged over the manner of defeat. They were convinced the game was fixed!

Such thoughts had entered my mind the night before and now the day after, I was convinced this was the case.

There have been investigations and different theories brought forward since the game, and most of them circulating round the player Ronaldo.

Amongst all the speculation I’m sticking to my own gut feeling and back it up with a certain theory that was published in The Guardian which I won’t go into.

Whatever happened ahead of the match, what followed was a sort of awakening to the intersect of football, money and power.

It was the night football lost its innocence.
  2. Jan 12, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Pfft, Brazil shouldn't even have been in the final. Holland deserved to go through. Might've done so too if the ref hadn't denied the obvious penalty in injury time after Van Hooijdonk was brought down.

Though to be fair, we would have missed the penalty anyway. Bottling cnuts.

On Ronaldo, he had an epileptic seizure or something right?
  3. Jan 12, 2019

Eriku Full Member

Nonsense.
  4. Jan 12, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

That France side was fantastic.
  5. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Yes according to one of the theories!
  6. Jan 12, 2019

harms Way Staff

What's the point of starting a thread and mentioning that you believe in a certain theory and then not even saying what this theory is?
  7. Jan 12, 2019

Thisistheone Full Member

Whats your theory?

I loved that French side circa 1998-2000
  8. Jan 12, 2019

Schneckerl Full Member

That Ronaldo had a seizure is the official version, theories are about what/who caused it.
  9. Jan 12, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Massive panic attack when he realised he'd be playing against Frank LeBeouf.
  10. Jan 12, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I remember all the crazy build up pre match, would Ronaldo play or not?

Probably remember that more than the actual game.
  11. Jan 12, 2019

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

I wanted to see the two sides go at it at the peak of their powers. This was Ronaldo's chance to ascend, as it were - one of the greatest defensive units of all-time vs. the greatest striker possibly of all-time. It had the makings of an epic, for the ages contest.

Ronaldo was clearly - absolutely clearly - not right and he shouldn't have even played in that game. I've heard numerous theories of what caused him to get sick, and with the history of the World Cup, particularly related to home nations, (England, Argentina in particular prior) it wouldn't be out of trend with previous competitions should something under-handed have actually gone on.

All I conclude is that the whole Brazil team looked shell-shocked, and not because of anything France did; just like, they were in a daze and distracted well before the game had even got going. Most of the stories as to why revolve around them crying and panicking about Ronaldo and his convulsions and then trying to play in the game.
  12. Jan 12, 2019

Demyanenko_square_jaw Full Member

I'm sure i've read a few Ronaldo interviews where he just concedes the pressure got to him and he had more or less an anxiety attack before the game. It was definitely an oddly subdued performance by most of the team, but that can happen in a game like this. I don't remember any particularly obvious favouring of France from the officials.
  13. Jan 12, 2019

freeurmind weak willed

Had just moved to France before the start of the tournament, first WC I can remember properly. Zidane had a poor tournament but definitely showed up for the final. The whole Ronaldo controversy is a nonstory, France were too good, they weren't losing that night. Thuram scoring twice in the semi showed it was just written in the stars for them to win.
  14. Jan 12, 2019

harms Way Staff

France weren't good enough to write a Brazil with fully fit Ronaldo off.
  15. Jan 12, 2019

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

No sorry, that's just not true. The media here ran the story in real time pretty much the whole day well before kick off and the sense of drama and everything else was palpable - we got running updates on how everything was prior to kick off.

The game and how the whole Brazilian side looked and played just further compounded the notion something simply wasn't right.

Ronaldo actually playing in that game, or at least starting, completely wrecked the rest of the team psychologically.
  16. Jan 12, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    I don't think Ronaldo having a 'seizure' is a theory, he confirmed that he had a fit/convulsion just before the final.
  17. Jan 12, 2019

Prometheus Requested ban until Sep 22, 2019

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Thank you!

I don't know why the OP is being very odd about this.
  18. Jan 12, 2019

Hound Dog Full Member

Supports:
    Whoever I bet on
    And you should not have made it past Yugoslavia, it does not work like that :)
  19. Jan 12, 2019

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    :lol:
  20. Jan 12, 2019

Chipper Full Member

Or telling us what the weahter was like in Crete 21 years ago. Nobody cares.
  21. Jan 12, 2019

Camy89 Love Island obsessive

Well then why make a thread about this? Why make a big song and dance about the dubiety of the win if your not going to reveal your stance on it?

As far as I’m aware, France were an awesome team bolstered by playing at home and Ronaldo had a seizure which was first seen by Roberto Carlos. Reckon that mentally impacted the whole team.
  22. Jan 12, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    There was certainly a huge pressure on Ronaldo still to play. Obviously it was a World cup final so one he didn't want to miss but he was still in hospital having tests on the afternoon of the game so terrible preperation.

Didn't Nike have a huge say on Brazil NT around that time, they allegedly ordered Ronaldo to play is something I've read.
  23. Jan 12, 2019

Gopher Brown Full Member

My dad had a theory that he was an undiagnosed epileptic and his weight gain in later years was due to epilepsy drugs.
  24. Jan 12, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Have to say looking generally at Ronaldo career, amazes me how few big club titles he actually won.

Never won league at Barca, 1 league title at Madrid in 4 seasons and nothing at Inter. Never won CL.
  25. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Theory:
    France offer a sum of money to Brazil to fix the match. In the deal includes the prospect of Brazil hosting the next WC. Brazil accept. Ronaldo refuses to take part but Nike threaten to withdraw his sponsorship. So he plays
  26. Jan 12, 2019

waza7111 Full Member

27. Jan 12, 2019

Guy Incognito Full Member

28. Jan 12, 2019

MrMarcello Full Member

The conspiracy I seem to recall is that Ronaldo wasn't fit mentally and physically to play let alone start that match but that the big sponsors practically forced it, mainly Nike.
  29. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Yes!
  30. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

31. Jan 12, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Really? I dont remember that much honestly. What happened?
  32. Jan 12, 2019

Big Ben Foster Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Also support Vasco da Gama
  33. Jan 12, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    I remember that Guivarch bloke missing at least two blatant goals.

Could have easily finished 5-0.
  34. Jan 12, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

So what exactly was wrong with Ronaldo during this match? I'm a bit out of the loop on this one.
  35. Jan 12, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

The theory was that the game was fixed and when you look back at how that French team qualified for the final, especially that game against Paraguay you'd tend to believe in a conspiracy.
    Was amazed at the way Brazil played, couldn't believe it.
  36. Jan 12, 2019

Lebo New Member

Is it far fetched to think Ronaldo was poisoned? I mean epileptic fits can have many triggers some which you can get by skin contact or food.

I honestly doubt the pressure will get to a professional footballer to that level. It''s not like he was playing in a weak team that was incapable of beating France wit him having an average game.
  37. Jan 12, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Theory 2: Brazil’s Players Accepted Bribes to Throw the Match

This theory has the Brazil squad being offered £15 million, according to The Guardian, as well as the right to host a future World Cup in exchange for throwing the match against France. Part of the agreement is also said to have included the guarantee of a favourable draw in 2002.

Ronaldo, uncomfortable with the arrangement, pulled out of the squad but changed his mind after Nike told him he was risking his sponsorship money.

The story about Ronaldo having a fit or sufferering from food poisoning is bollocks imo!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  38. Jan 12, 2019

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    What a rubbish theory, why would players give a shit that the tournament would be hosted in their country 8 years on when most of them probably wouldn't be part of the team anymore.
  39. Jan 12, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    Infuriating replies-braindead "theories".

Ronaldo's seizure smells of doping or panic, not poison.

Brazil didn't throw the match away. They failed against a rock solid defense-midfield, while witnessing the Rise of Zidane as one of the all-time greats.
  40. Jan 12, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Could it be that maybe, just maybe, Brazil had a collective off-day? Shit happens.