That penalty decision vs Swansea

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by The Azzurri, May 1, 2017.

1. May 1, 2017

The Azzurri Full Member

Penalty or no penalty? Majority seems to think it's not a penalty after watching the replay, but I feel otherwise. Is it just me? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't when there's contact, the player go down, it's a penalty? Doesn't matter if the player exaggerated the fall or not?
  2. May 1, 2017

Son Of Sam Banned

It was a dive without a doubt! Rashford went fishing for the contact after the goalkeeper forced him to go wide.
  3. May 1, 2017

TonyMarshall Banned

Clear pen, goal keeper should have been sent off.
  4. May 1, 2017

The Azzurri Full Member

But could you blame him. The gk was asking for it when he went sprinting out like that but without diverting the ball away. 99% of the players in the world in this situation would have done the same.
  5. May 1, 2017

marukomu The Gatekeeper

It wasn't a pen but I don't give a shit. We have been denied a lot more legit ones this season than had them given.
  6. May 1, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Not a penalty.
  7. May 1, 2017

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

It was a dive, live with it, move on.
  8. May 1, 2017

Client6 New Member

Rashford was looking for it, he started going down even before the keeper touched him. "The GK was asking for it", "Doesn't matter if he exaggerated it" etc. are all scenarios that are not valid once Rashford decided to start to go down even before he was touched.

Not a pen, in fact a yellow for Rashford was a more correct decision.
  9. May 1, 2017

red_devil83 Banned

Definitely a dive
  10. May 1, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

It was a dive, hope we don't see any more of this from him. He has a lot of talent and shouldn't need to resort to this.
  11. May 1, 2017

Whiteside1985 Full Member

Modern football, innit? Attacking players go down when they feel contact.

Was a soft penalty, but: you get some, you don't get others. Look at the blatant one that wasn't awarded, away at Palace. I reckon we're about even on dubious decisions over the course of the season.

The papers & opposition fans will make a big deal of it, because it's United.
  12. May 1, 2017

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

Have you seen Sané penalty's and even Kane's? Stop riding the moral high horse.
  13. May 1, 2017

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If you don't go down you don't get anything.

Let's be honest why should he stay up in that scenario? The goalkeeper is about to clatter him and if his leg is stuck in the ground he could break it or badly injure it. He did the right thing jumping out the way, in my eyes every other team do it so why not try and get a penalty. He nearly won us the game with it.
  14. May 1, 2017

pauldyson1uk Full Member

:lol::lol:
  15. May 1, 2017

SirMattBugsby Full Member

I feel the same way and don't think Rashford did anything blatantly wrong.

Having said that, he failed at what he tried to do and the correct decision would have been a yellow card for diving as there was no contact. That was the job of the ref, who I felt was in a very bad position to give a decision anyway.
  16. May 1, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

He played for the penalty.
  17. May 1, 2017

M4nu4Life Full Member

Agree, once you dive in penalty area and you don't get the ball you are in big trouble.
  18. May 1, 2017

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

:lol:
  19. May 1, 2017

Jonno Full Member

It wasn't a pen.

Finally getting some fortune after some dreadful decisions and luck earlier in the season.

It was equally as much of a penalty as the City penalty.
  20. May 1, 2017

ash_86 Full Member

It's tricky but it would be classified as a dive which is correct. I would like to compare it with like how Aguero went down and covered his face when Fellaini went charging in with slightest contact couple of days back. Would you blame Sergio for the dive or Fellini for creating the situation? Player's milk situations and this is nothing new.
  21. May 1, 2017

Lucky Buttons Full Member

It could have been a penalty had Rashford taken one more step and waited for the contact. The goalkeeper does a really good job by rushing him and backing of at the last second, and as long as Rashford goes down without contact, it's a dive no matter what.
  22. May 1, 2017

Aza Boy Banned

Diving by Rashford...but the karma back to us, Rooney given us the free kick they scored...Andre gave Sigurdson the clue, and all of us, Manchester United fans felt blue, but that's ok, cause Machester Blue could not win too...

Dammit, after weekend betting lost, my sense of art for a poem is better....hahahahaha...
  23. May 1, 2017

Crossie Full Member

Supports:
    vibrant attacking football
    Yes, you can and I do as I blame every dive, regardless of the player: Rashford, Sané, Messi, Ronaldo, Robben, Müller, Reus, etc. It's despicable and one of the reasons I look very much forward to the VR: I hope most dives will be caught, properly booked and subsequently players will show a learning curve.
  24. May 1, 2017

johnamiri Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    In the words of U Boat captain Von Schnitzel Dive Dive Dive
  25. May 1, 2017

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Honestly players are best off going down. The Coutinho desicion pretty much show refs won't call a pen unless the player goes down. You don't get rewarded for trying to play fair .
  26. May 1, 2017

Akshay Moderator Staff

I've got no issue with players exaggerating contact to get the official to make the right decision, but not with going down before any contact is made. That said, it's part of the game now, as are myriad other ways of cheating.
  27. May 1, 2017

Crossie Full Member

Supports:
    vibrant attacking football
    Not a single reason why it should be accepted. Associations need to give refs every help possible to detect and prevent cheating, and refs have to have the balls to ruthlessly punish those players who do.
  28. May 1, 2017

Rake Full Member

Clear dive. If we had such a penalty given against us this place would have been outraged.
  29. May 1, 2017

Miscemayl Full Member

Dived but don't care.

Rooney didn't get a blatant penalty last week and there were no one saying Barton should be ashamed of himself pushing Rooney from behind in the penalty area.
  30. May 1, 2017

Fridge chutney Full Member

Rashford was hacked to bits last week against City with no calls and no protection from the referee. Perhaps that's why he is quick to go down today, because he usually stays on his feet in the box even when he has the opportunity to drop.

With that says, I hope he cuts it out. He hasn't done anything like this before at senior level. Not nice to see.
  31. May 1, 2017

witchtrials Full Member

How is 12:45pm "night"? That's what I'm angry about.
  32. May 1, 2017

Akshay Moderator Staff

I would love for it to be stamped out systematically. Just saying that while it goes unpunished, I can understand players doing it.
  33. May 1, 2017

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Not going off this incident alone, but I'd like to see retroactive punishment for diving. If they give match bans for blatant dives it will stop. Strange they haven't already done this.
  34. May 1, 2017

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Dive without any contact is easy to punish but if there is contact then it's hard to make decision. Players like Messi have incredible balance but some players lack that so smallest contact might make them lose balance. Not sure how they will prove that with VR.
  35. May 1, 2017

11101 Full Member

Penalty every time. By the laws of the game its not but every ref in the league gives it when the player makes sure the contact happens, and every pundit agrees with it.
  36. May 1, 2017

Schmiznurf Full Member

Honestly, it wasn't a penalty but we've had a lot of stuff go against us so we deserved something once in a while. The thing is though, we don't know if he went down to get the penalty or not, maybe he didn't, maybe he did.

From the view of the linesman it was a clear penalty though so it's not one of those decisions that you can blame the ref for. There's a reason he had to look to the linesman and the linesman couldn't see Fabianski pulling his arms back.
  37. May 1, 2017

Jev Full Member

You'd have to be completely deluded to see that as a penalty. It was an obvious dive.
  38. May 1, 2017

PickledRed Full Member

Why is it moralising to suggest it was a dive? Sané's dive was as bad. Kane's was different. It was a penalty in that the original contact wasn't manipulated. Kane made the most of it but it was different to the other two yesterday.
  39. May 1, 2017

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

"There was contact" is an argument that I don't truly understand. It's a contact sport, players are allowed to touch each other.

It was a dive. They all do do it.
  40. May 1, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Actually thought Owen described it pretty well, albeit with a strikers bias.

When a goalkeeper rushes out like that you anticipate a challenge and the first instinct is to avoid it. Getting hit with a foot planted on the floor can lead to a nasty injury so you learn to ride the challenge. Rashford anticipated the contact and took measures to avoid it.

It's a fancy way of say he dived basically. No escaping the fact but there is a little bit of justification in that there is some self preservation there and if you're going to avoid getting hurt by a clumsy goalkeeper, you're also going to want to make sure you get something out of it too.