The Black Kanchelskis

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by B Cantona, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010

B Cantona Desperate

[​IMG]

June 2009. Manchester United supporters are recovering from the 'shock' of star player Cristiano Ronaldo transferring to Real Madrid for a record £80milllion sum. Message boards and radio phone ins are contaminated with prospective fantasy wish lists, seemingly no player off limits given such a substantial wedge to blow. Few if any of those lists contained the name of an Ecuadorian winger then plying his trade for Wigan Athletic.

Luis Antonio Valencia Mosquera had long been linked with the club in the press, but given such rumours are ten a penny with United, and reports that any deal would involve an apparently incredulous fee, there was no guarantee of further interest. When United confirmed the deal, for an undisclosed fee thought to be around the £16million mark, initial reaction was somewhat underwhelming. Even more so by the start of the new season, by which time it was apparent the Valencia signing would be the clubs one major foray in the transfer market that summer.

Inevitably, Valencia was perhaps unfairly - and yet understandably in the circumstances - compared heavily, and unfavorably, to the departing Ronaldo. How could a relative unknown who'd scored seven goals in three seasons at Wigan possibly replace the current world player of the year, integral to United's hat trick of domestic titles, and consecutive Champions League final appearances? Never mind club top scorer the three previous seasons. A daunting proposition indeed.

And yet in retrospect, the signing looks inspired. Following a mid season rest, Valencia has come back fresher and sharper than ever, and contributed tellingly to United's best form of the campaign. With ten league games to go, United are already only two strikes off their total goal tally for the previous season, with Valencia having contributed seven directly, and played many a role in providing others. His magnificent first time cross on a plate to Rooney for United?s opener against West Ham recently contributed arguably to one of the best goals in the league this season.

Personally speaking, the player Valencia most reminds me of is Andrei Kanchelskis. A very direct approach, searing pace, unusual strength for a winger, never scared to run at a player, and a propensity for running to the byline to put a ball across... all traits of the Ukrainian, and mirrored in United's current first choice right winger. The defender may anticipate what the player is going to do, but it's one thing knowing, and another stopping it. That burst of initial acceleration makes the difference between a good winger, and a top class winger. It's difficult to point to a better winger in the game currently.

Of course there are flaws in his game - most obviously his relative one footedness, not that that ever stopped players like Puskas from becoming all time greats - and it's still early days in his United career yet. But for a 24 year old making a significant step up in his career, to a club with such constant pressure and expectancy, his start has been as impressive as could possibly have been hoped for. Antonio is on the verge of securing the first silverware of his English career with Sundays cup final against Aston Villa on the horizon. All signs suggest it probably won't be his last.
  2. Feb 26, 2010

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Bargain. Absolute fecking bargain.
  3. Feb 26, 2010

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Hello mate!

Great topic. He is fast becoming one of my favourite players. I just love his attitude on the pitch.
  4. Feb 26, 2010

Ruud_boy_10 Full Member

Keeps getting better and better.
  5. Feb 26, 2010

CR#7 Full Member

brilliant read
  6. Feb 26, 2010

Doevle Full Member

He i so well suited for the Premiership. No nonsense-approach to the game, fast as feck and built like a tank.

Brilliant post Brad, good to have you back.
  7. Feb 26, 2010

Tumbling-Dice Caf Nostradamus

Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
    His workrate is phenomenal.
  8. Feb 26, 2010

MacMUFC Banned

Theres already a Valencia thread right here, can a Mod do us a favour merge this thread with it please?

;) Only kidding, good to see you still posing on here. Just because I was in the newbies, doesnt mean I didnt read the mains if you're wondering who the hell I am!

Great OP anyway, I think Valencia is underrated by a lot of posters on here and particually by the media because I dont think he gets the credit he sometimes deserves. If he'd been signed from Inter Milan/AC/Real Madrid etc by us, he would get far more credit in my opinion, sadly.
  9. Feb 26, 2010

Brophs The one and only

Ridiculous upper body strength for a winger too. He tends to just let full backs bounce into him, and then turn them.
  10. Feb 26, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

top player, develop a left foot and his value will double.
  11. Feb 26, 2010

Dwazza Van Hernandez A Special Kind of Hipster

Absolutely, he's turning into something special for us.
  12. Feb 26, 2010

Frans Full Member

" Wise people talk because they have somethin
    I wouldnt say it was a bargain.

Valencia is exactly what you should expect for 15m-17m .

Very good transfer.
  13. Feb 26, 2010

SecondFig Full Member

14. Feb 26, 2010

Amir Full Member

If he could develop a bit of calmness around the box and goal - he doesn't have it currently despite scoring a few - he'd really be a menace.
  15. Feb 26, 2010

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

One of our best players this season, which is very impressive in your first season for a club that are looking good to get at least one of the three trophies available.
  16. Feb 26, 2010

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    Good stuff Brad

A few minor quibbles...

Do you mean incredible?

Woah, adverb clusterfeck!

Valencia's relatively one-footed in the same way Long John Silver was relatively one-legged.
  17. Feb 26, 2010

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

I can see why the comparison with Kan Kan comes in

However, for me he still has a way to go to be at that level. Kanchelskis used to absolutely rip the piss out of fullbacks AND score goals. Remember his hat-trick against City?
  18. Feb 26, 2010

Amir Full Member

Well, to be fair - there was a fortune of rebound for a couple of those goals. Kanchelskis was a good goal scorer - especially in his last season with us - but he didn't score hat tricks every week.

But like I said previously, it really is that calmness in front of goal that Valencia needs.
  19. Feb 26, 2010

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Song is doing the Kan Kan in that pic
  20. Feb 26, 2010

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    Is this really Brad?
  21. Feb 26, 2010

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

I've yet to see Valencia physically dominate a defense like Kanchelskis did. Similar but still a fair few levels below.
  22. Feb 26, 2010

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    defence.
  23. Feb 26, 2010

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Twat.

Cornflour.
  24. Feb 26, 2010

Solius Has a massive ginger bush

There was one game a few weeks ago when he ran the right side of their team completely ragged. They were completely fecked by the end of the game.
  25. Feb 26, 2010

Raven Blade Dull

The Black Kanchelskis? That's racist.

But I must admit I didnt expect Valencia would be this effective in our team. He's taken a while to warm up but now looks red hot on the right wing. He's consistently producing a supply line for our forwards to feed off and looks very comfortable being a Manchester United player. His potency in front of goal is a big improvement from his Wigan days and I look forward to seeing what further development he will make. Maybe his left foot will become an asset too?
  26. Feb 26, 2010

beardsleybob Full Member

He's got a great opportunity to be indispensable in the team. If he develops a left foot then I can't see him not playing a vital part for us in the next 5 years
  27. Feb 26, 2010

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Wigan?
  28. Feb 26, 2010

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    No, it's all his own hair.
  29. Feb 26, 2010

mufcwarm92 Full Member

I do think this is a good comparison. Admittedly I was only a lad when Kanchelskis was playing but I certainly remember his attributes had similarities with Valencia's. By that I mean he has the usual winger attributes like pace and crossing but also a strength that most defenders won't really expect.
  30. Feb 26, 2010

Rams extremely handsome, intelligent, gay and talented

Kanchelskis had the charisma of a South American, Valencia has that of an East European.
  31. Feb 26, 2010

CantonasWife Queen B

WHAT? Brad is back? OMG!!!1!!
  32. Feb 26, 2010

Boothy Full Member

Good read brad :)

I've been really impressed with Valencia, had big boots to fill on the right wing, done more than okay in my opinion :D
  33. Feb 26, 2010

KGBhoy Full Member

Has he smiled lately?
  34. Feb 26, 2010

EdWeatherall TFD

I'm glad to have been proven right about Valencia, always knew he'd create plenty for us, the numbers were clear to see

He was different to Ronaldo, not the same goals, but would score a decent amount but would directly create more chances for others.

I'd be delighted if we had a left-footed Valencia for the LW
  35. Feb 26, 2010

RedDevil [NC] Full Member

In the Mountains of NC watching United like its my
    I would be delighted if our Valencia even had a left foot
  36. Feb 27, 2010

Romaleouf Full Member

Still early days to compare Valencia with Kanchelski but there are similarities.

Howevers, Valencia could learn to be a bit more selfish like Kanchelski.

Let's see him do the job against the likes of Liverpool, Fulham, Chelsea and Spurs. Producing crosses which would end up in goals against these teams.
  37. Feb 27, 2010

johnmufc Banned

Good post.

I have to say that Valencia has far exceeded my expectations. When we signed him, I thought he'd be a good, reliable squad player, like Park Ji-Sung, but never did I expect him to make such an impact. Valencia has been exceptional; losing Ronaldo was obviously a tremendous loss, but in a way it's also refreshing to see a genuine old-fashioned out and out winger doing so well. A great signing, and a great player. :)
  38. Feb 27, 2010

Leg-End Full Member

I, For One, Welcome our Woodward overlord.
    Valencia is a much much stronger player than I thought he was, you match that with some frightning 10 yard pace and you have a very good winger. 24, first season, massive step up in expectations and playing level, goal tally increase and potential to get better. I think we got a bargain.
  39. Feb 27, 2010

Nistelrooy10 Tin Foil Hatter

You guys are forgetting most important thing in these Valencia threads:

He turned down Real Madrid
  40. Feb 27, 2010

RedRonaldo Full Member

He's predictable.
    But the way he keep bursting past players and putting a cross in, no one could stop him from doing that.