1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boy who Started the Syrian War

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SqueakyWeasel, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Feb 13, 2018

SqueakyWeasel Full Member

Couldn't find a thread on the Syrian Civil War (weird) so decided to start this. If there is somewhere more appropriate then @mods please relocate!

Thought you knew why the Syrian conflict started? … prepare to have your eyes opened!

This is well worth a watch:

MOVIE: https://players.brightcove.net/665003303001/SJg0bzqkZ_default/index.html?videoId=5318176387001'

Found following up sources in a recent Guardian article
  2. Feb 13, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

It's an oversimplification to call one person responsible for a civil war. In order for a civil war to happen there has to be a lot of things going wrong for the current leadership. The strongest argument I've seen for the civil war is climate change. There was such a massive drough, the biggest in recorded history in Syria, that more than half of their farmland dried up and didn't produce a thing. Water went away which meant that cattle died which meant that less food was produces and a lot of farmers were out of a job. Those farmers (we're talking over 100k people) moved into the cities were they were treated as 2nd class citizens. Have that kind of cituation stirring the pot for a long time and you've got the situation in OP having the pot boil over.
  3. Feb 13, 2018

There is no way it's supposed to be taken 100% literally – many people think they know why it is happening without having an actual real clue – that is all I was trying to address (to bring it down to a human level). The video is only based in fact for the people of that small region (which is still held by anti-Assad rebels) it's the trigger that lit the fuse for that group of people. For other areas there are untold other "truths".

I was just hoping to point out that for such a well-informed bunch as we have here there is not even a dedicated thread on this Civil war – the consequences of which (displacement) are shaping and defining the politics of our future.

I know that you didn't watch the whole thing (there was not enough time between me posting and you reacting) … hope that some people on here do as it really is an eye-opener on what is going on over there! There's even a bond villain cat in the lap moment!
  4. Feb 13, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Don't talk drought Snow....we're currently experiencing some severe water restrictions in Cape town ourselves :nervous:
  5. Feb 13, 2018

2cents Full Member

@SqueakyWeasel we've been discussing the Syrian war extensively in these threads for years:

Livestream out of Syria

ISIS in Iraq and Syria

Putin and Russia in Syria
  6. Feb 13, 2018

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Franz Duke Mouawiya
  7. Feb 13, 2018

… AND NONE OF THOSE THREADS are relevant, (it's not about Russia or ISIS in Syria and it wasn't a "LIVESTREAM" either. I'd looked and couldn't find a generic Syrian Civil war thread just like I said in my OP, so thank you for backing that up!

Look, if this is causing a problem because it goes against some unwritten CAF agenda then, as I said, simply take it down … I'll lose no sleep over it!
  8. Feb 13, 2018

2cents Full Member

Despite the titles of those threads, those are the places (esp. the ISIS thread) where we've discussed all aspects of the Syrian Civil War. You wrote "Couldn't find a thread on the Syrian Civil War" and "there is not even a dedicated thread on this Civil war" - I was just pointing you to those places. There's no problem as far as I know with creating a new thread on the matter.
  9. Feb 13, 2018

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    To be fair, the thread(s) most intimately involved with the Syrian War do have misleading titles.