The Bradford City Stadium Fire

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by vanthaman, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mar 3, 2009

vanthaman Winner

i had always heard about it (i was 3 at the time), but had never seen footage of it before today

shocking stuff especially how quickly it escalates.

[edit] ive removed the link because it is apparetly illegal to show it anywhere
  2. Mar 3, 2009

WeasteDevil Banned

You've deleted the link?
  3. Mar 3, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

Why is it illegal?
  4. Mar 3, 2009

vanthaman Winner

apparently there is a big legal thing about it being shown on the web

its on http://www.boreme.com

from wiki

American television network FOX TV controversially aired footage of the disaster in the programme When Good Times Go Bad 3. They incorrectly blamed supporters for deliberately starting the fire; and the program used punning language such as "as rabid as American fans can get, they can't hold a candle to soccer fans around the world". David Pendleton, the editor of Bradford City F.C.'s fanzine, stated that the programme was "a vile and callous piece of journalism" [27] Copyright of the TV footage of that day's events is strictly controlled by Yorkshire Television and the footage is only meant to be used for fire awareness training purposes.
    In early 2007, original TV news footage of the fire was illegally posted on the internet website YouTube. Following threats of legal action from Yorkshire Television, and considerable protest from Bradford City supporters' groups (with endorsement from the club), the footage was removed. The footage had also been posted on a second, more obscure "humour" website where its presence had gone undetected until it was discovered by a bereaved survivor in April 2007. Similar action brought its immediate removal. However despite these protests, as of December 2008 the video now appears illegally on publicly accessible websites. To this day the fire remains a most awkward taboo-like topic of conversation for many within the city of Bradford.
    On 19 October 2008, the Yorkshire Television footage was leaked to the website wikileaks.org and Liveleak.com.
  5. Mar 3, 2009

stretford_oslo Full Member

It's also on youtube, just search for "valley parade fire".

Or at least parts of it. I'm pretty sure I saw an 8 minute clip on there a while ago.
  6. Mar 3, 2009

manxmanc Full Member

fecking horrible senses there.

:(
  7. Mar 3, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

Good grief, that's the first time I've ever seen it

I was at a Hammerby game a few months back, and it was wooden stands there too. Do we not learn from our mistakes anymore?!
  8. Mar 3, 2009

rednev God Save My Gracious Queen

feck me, the footage of that man walking on the pitch covered in flames was disturbing. I can't imagine how awful that must have been for everyone there.
  9. Mar 3, 2009

M13 Reserve Team Player

You really don't have to look far to find it, considering it's illegal.

Horrific.
  10. Mar 3, 2009

SER19 Full Member

wikipedia says that man later died in hospital as a result. very sad, considering everyone on the other side is tsill singing and some on the pitch dancing,oblivious to whats going on
  11. Mar 3, 2009

GledTheRed Full Member

It was horrific.
  12. Mar 3, 2009

Tumbling-Dice Caf Nostradamus

Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
    There was a thread about this last year.

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/bradford-fire-201947/

I watched the scenes live on YTV, extemely disturbing.

I was at college with Trevor Cherry's son Ian at the time which brought the tragedy even closer to home.
  13. Mar 4, 2009

Bury Red Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!

I remember watching it on Grandstand as the fire started and then escalated. It wasn't quite as rapid an escalation as that particular video makes it look but once the flames hit the tarred wooden roof it took off at a ferocious rate. The live footage on Grandstand was particularly shocking as when it was first spotted it was only a small fire confined to the rubbish that had built up beneath the wooden stand, the commentators were pretty much joking about how strange the scenes were and kept cutting back every few minutes to show it growing as it hit the stands (which is the point that video starts) and then once the match was abandoned the footage was shown in full.

It was only when it hit the roof that they realised how serious it actually was, the policeman on the pitch whose hair caught fire was pretty much spontaneous combustion caused by the heat pouring out of the stand as the tar, wood and rubbish blazed ferociously with burning tar pouring from the roof onto the stands and the spectators still trying to exit at the rear of the stand. Most of the 56 dead unfortunately headed back into the stand to exit via the turnstyles only to find them locked and their route back to the pitch blocked, it would have been far worse if fans hadn't managed to kick out most of the other barred exits at the back of the stand. A horrible way to go and a tragedy which forced stadiums to be upgraded way too late.