1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The influence of a managers personality.

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Toad, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

I was having a think about different managers and how they make an impact on the players under them. How the managers attitude can have a positive or negative impact. How their actions can run off on their players.

You look at Pep and Klopp, they are so animated, very passionate and extremely over the top. But in my opinion this isn’t a bad thing. Yes it’s embarassing to watch them as managers sometimes but I genuinely believe the more energetic the manager is, the more energetic and up for it the players are in the field.

It goes back to when we had Ferguson, he was consistently on the line (even in the pitch at times) shouting at his players, really celebrating every goal and win. He always showed how passionate he was. The players under the Ferguson era seemed to mimic his attitude exactly. Thus being energetic, chasing every ball and using every ounce of energy they have.

This exact theory goes for Pep and Klopp too. They may be very dislikable characters but they both get the very best out of their players. Their players always give everything even if Liverpool can be a bit shit at time.

Under Mourinho we seem to lack any energy anywhere on the field, we don’t go chasing after balls and closing down the opposition. The lack of enthusiasm seems to hamper us so many times. You then look at Mourinhos attitude and body language and it resembles exactly what you see on the field. This can’t be a coincidence.

Conte another example. Sulking, moaning and looking completely miserable all the time. Look at their results.

Does anybody else feel the manager can influence the players through his own personality in such a big way or is it just me?
  2. Mar 7, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Another thread to bash the manager. Brilliant.
  3. Mar 7, 2018

SirAF Ageist

You just know that was the sole purpose of the thread :lol:

It's also completely fake news. Ferguson, in his older days, rarely went down to the touchline. The result was, of course, that when he DID go down there then everyone knew he ment business.
  4. Mar 7, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Poch doesn't act like a clown on the touchline and his team is relentless in pressing and showing lot of "passion"
  5. Mar 7, 2018

Professor Percival Egg Full Member

I think Pochettino is a good example of this. Undoubtedly has influenced his players to dive and cheat.

The English trio of Alli, Kane, Trippier (tonight) would never have learnt all these foreign dark arts otherwise!
  6. Mar 7, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

It's fake news because this image of Mourinho having a negative attitude and body language is nonsense. Mourinho is one of the most active managers on the pitch and a happy person behind the scenes. You will here him shouting at the team in virtually every game, and if you go to games regularly you will see him telling players what to do all the time.
  7. Mar 7, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Yes, that too.

8. Mar 7, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

[​IMG]
  9. Mar 7, 2018

Swift Football Banned

Very poor attempt at bashing the manager.

So many teams with calm managers press relentlessly. Its just manager's nature/choice , it does not make a team good or bad.
  10. Mar 7, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Was exactly going to say that. You sense it just when he mentioned Pep and Klopp.
  11. Mar 7, 2018

Ban Full Member

You could say all that in a sentence or two.

I don't like Mourinho or something like that.
  12. Mar 7, 2018

King.of.Red New Member

stupid thread and only based on stupid assumption. at least be smarter, use facts and reasonable opinions if you hate Jose so much and want to bash him.
  13. Mar 7, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

We need to hire more clowns!
  14. Mar 7, 2018

Cliche Guevara Full Member

For the love of feck. They’re a couple of coke heids.
  15. Mar 7, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

I'll never forget when Fergie was banned from the touchline in the Semi Final of the FA Cup in 2011. I was seriously convinced we lost the game there and then. It was like an injury to our best player. Ferguson's presence was amazing on the touchline.
  16. Mar 7, 2018

RedChip Full Member

No, think OP's analysis is rather superficial. Don't think an individuals personality can influence group dynamics that much. And it is not as if behaviour on the touchline is the be all and all of a manager's personality and his attempts to influence the team.
  17. Mar 7, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

:lol: I think this was all when we were trailing in the game, this game it even funnier.
  18. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

:lol: It wasn’t even on my mind to ‘bash’ the manager. It was just an opinion I have of other managers more so than ours.

This isn’t a Mourinho thread, this is a manager thread. Doesn’t mention Mourinho in the title so all you guys with your assumptions that I am purely doing to to ‘bash’ Mourinho are completely wrong.

Everyone here is so stuck in one mindset. If you say anything constructive you are undoubtably ‘bashing’ the manager. Its pathetic really, only one or two of you can give a reasonable arguement why you think I am wrong. The rest of you go on the attack and assume I’m just being completely negative. There is a difference between being negative and being constructive and if you guys can’t see that than it’s very small mind. /rant. That me done for caring about other people’s opinions ;)
  19. Mar 7, 2018

LARulz Full Member

Just cos you do not mention him in the title does not mean you weren't bashing him. This is in your OP:

Also, Fergie got less animated as time went on (for obvious reasons of course) but Mourinho seems to do the same as Fergie did later on - get animated/involved when he needs to. Trust the players to do their job or figure it out. I'm pretty sure Rooney said on MNF that Fergie would really start giving instructions from the touchline if he had to otherwise the players would figure it out/knew what needed to be done.

I imagine it's the same. Mourinho will tell the players before hand what to do in certain situations, give a bollocking at half time if needs be and get 'involved'/animated as and when he needs to.
  20. Mar 7, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Yay, let's jizz all over that fecking clown Klopp.
  21. Mar 7, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

After Jose, I want Allegri to manage us someday. Man's fecking elito.
  22. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

Well this went well. feck you guys, I’m signing off.
  23. Mar 7, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  24. Mar 7, 2018

King.of.Red New Member

crybaby
  25. Mar 7, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

I do quite like the way Pep acts on the touchline most of the time. Looks like it probably has an effect on the players. Klopp is just a clown.

Jose can be very active though so not sure of the point of the thread. Also Fergie didn't celebrate at all many a time. It'd cut to him and he'd still be stone faced, chewing his gum.
  26. Mar 7, 2018

LARulz Full Member

There were some fair responses, I like to think mine was too. You throwing a hissy fit because people don't agree with you isn't exactly helping your argument
  27. Mar 7, 2018

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Exactly! Let's go the point: Unai Emery isn't a United Quality Manager. Sample.
  28. Mar 7, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

'Under Mourinho we seem to lack any energy anywhere on the field, we don’t go chasing after balls and closing down the opposition. The lack of enthusiasm seems to hamper us so many times. You then look at Mourinhos attitude and body language and it resembles exactly what you see on the field. This can’t be a coincidence.'

You made up something about the manager and then linked it with your crackpot theory.

Mourinho is very active and energetic on the sidelines, and his body language is often encouraging the players to play with more energy and quality.
  29. Mar 7, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

We said Mou-urns!
  30. Mar 7, 2018

el3mel Full Member

That doesn't help your stance at all tbh with you.
  31. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

Help my stance? What stance am I trying to hold exactly?
  32. Mar 7, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I thought you were signing off.
  33. Mar 7, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Don't kid yourself. The objective of the thread is pretty obvious for anyone that has eyes and can read. You claiming otherwise then rage quiting doesn't help either.
  34. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

So did I, but then I couldn’t resist.
  35. Mar 7, 2018

SirAF Ageist

The lure of the Caf is as powerful as clunge :D
  36. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

i tried to explain myself and nobody was having it, I’m not going to explain myself again as it will just be a waste of time, I already know the outcome. :)
  37. Mar 7, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Your stance is that being active on the side lines and having a certain body language translates on to the pitch. You then made up something about the United manager to try to support that stance, not to mention other posters have pointed out that Pochettino is not that active on the side lines yet they are energetic and aggressive on the pitch.

Mourinho is active on the side lines, but that doesn't translate onto the pitch.

How you behave on the touch line is probably not that important and is based on the manager's personality. What happens behind the scenes is what is actually important. Preperation and tactics, not antics on the side lines.
  38. Mar 7, 2018

spontaneus1 Hamster, damn!

Caf really loves jinx theads. :lol:
  39. Mar 7, 2018

Toad Full Member

And to be quite honest, there was no objective of the thread. I didn’t go out to actually have a rant about Mourinho in general. It may seem like that by some of my comments but logically speaking if it have a manager that didn’t smile at us scoring a goal in a shit kids if games it’s not going to help our mentality. Same with any manager, not just Mourinho. You look at When conte and Mourinho has a bitching match, Chelsea’s results went down the pan. Conte wasn’t happy, Chelsea had bad results. That’s my explanation anyway, take it or leave it.
  40. Mar 7, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Yeah for example Mauricio Poochettino and his team of bottlers.