The issue is the full backs

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by TheReligion, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Think today was pretty obvious when it comes to our attacking football when you look at City.

The full backs just don't stretch the pitch enough or get in behind. The idea of them pushing on should help free space elsewhere - it just isn't happening enough. Whether that's the coach, or the fact we need to spend in that area in the summer, I'm not sure, but having a threat at FB will majorly improve our forward play IMO.
  2. Feb 11, 2018

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Would you be happy sacrificing the defensive solidarity someone like Valencia gives you, for a full back who can give you more going forward but might leave gaps or cost you a goal at the back?
  3. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

4. Feb 11, 2018

decorativeed Full Member

...and the centre backs.
  5. Feb 11, 2018

Dion Full Member

This and playing out from the back. We just don't maintain attacks anymore, Shaw, Valencia and Young just don't make overlapping runs and it's fecking infuriating.
  6. Feb 11, 2018

George Owen LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

cheers :lol:

We need better fullbacks. One of if not the most important player on the pitch. A guy that have to be defensively and offensively apt, or at least world class at one of those.

Ours are only good at recycling the ball. We have the worst pair of fullbacks by far from all of the top 10 teams in the world.

fecking Manchester City spent over 100M in fullbacks, and you see the fecking result.
  7. Feb 11, 2018

sdb4884 Full Member

We have a good full back, on the bench.
  8. Feb 11, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

The issue is the CENTRE backs.

More specifically, Jones and Smalling.
  9. Feb 11, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

We don't only have one issue, we have several. For me the poor coaching is the biggest then after that we can point to needing better players in certain areas. I think in a well drilled team Young, Shaw, and Valencia would be okay. Jones and Smalling are the bigger problem because they absolutely suck at playing football.
  10. Feb 11, 2018

Dion Full Member

Every time. We attack way more than we defend and overlapping fullbacks allows you to keep attacks going instead of them breaking down.
  11. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

I think it's possible to have both, sadly Valencia is the wrong side of 30.

The issue isn't just having them overlapping and crossing the ball its having full backs who will make that run repeatedly, even when they don't get the ball, just to open up the space.

I don't think we are utilising them properly going forward at the moment and it causes us issues when teams go ahead and sit in.
  12. Feb 11, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

It’s because they’re not full backs, they’re wingers now playing as full backs. And they’re both bang average.
  13. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

They don't effect our forward play.
  14. Feb 11, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

But they’re affecting the goals we let in. Simple as.
  15. Feb 11, 2018

settembrini Full Member

We need an attacking right back in the summer.
  16. Feb 11, 2018

Heinzesight Full Member

Jose bigs up Shaw then doesn’t play him. We look in better shape with him in there.
  17. Feb 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

So what you're saying is we need Jones back on corners.
  18. Feb 11, 2018

Oscie Banned

I agree entirely. In the thread I started along these lines some referred to Valencia as one of the "best right back's in the country" - the delusion is setting in deep. Neither men have ever been more than merely competent in the role, but the more they (particularly applies to Valencia) are seen to do it the longer expectations as to what it is he should deliver are lowered. Over a period of time what would otherwise be a a series of just acceptable performances turns into 'best right back in the country' territory. Both men are competent enough to cover that position without a problem, neither have really ever been good enough to hold them down as full time, first choice full backs.
  19. Feb 11, 2018

Castia Full Member

If you think the wing backs are bad then what do you make of the centre backs? because they’re 10 times worse.

Jones and Smalling can barely pass the ball and when they do it’s never forward. The only way they know how to get the ball forward is hoofing it up the field and hoping for the best, the give back the ball almost every time and that’s unacceptable.
  20. Feb 11, 2018

Bruce Wayne New Member

United need proper wingers. Right wing doesn't exist and no one on left side can cross properly, all players can only cut in and shoot.
  21. Feb 11, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Is it perhaps instructed? 3 full backs all with more attacking instincts than defensive ones, all with stacks of pace, why do none of them overlap or look to get in behind? It seems hard to believe they would play so safe unless they were told to. Young only goes behind the defender when he's got the ball and he's knocking it beyond them. He never makes that run to preempt a through pass. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Mourinho doesn't want the fullbacks making those runs, as if the pass doesn't come off, there's a huge exposure in our wide areas.
  22. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

I don't think you understand. I'm talking about our attacking play. I don't think the issue is who plays where in the front three it's the fact the full backs are not giving us enough. They don't occupy space and thus when chasing a game we can look devoid of ideas.
  23. Feb 11, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Mr Mourinho is a football manager. His team is not performing well enough so the fans are unhappy. Can you identify why?

1 Full backs
    2 Centre backs
    3 Pogba in a midfield 2
    4 No attacking coaching
    5 Lack of quality
    6 Lack of leaders
    7 Jose living in a hotel
    8 Lukaku
    9 All of the above
    10 None of the above

The list keeps growing :D
  24. Feb 11, 2018

Kazi Full Member

...and the centre-backs, and the midfield, and the attack, and the manager...
  25. Feb 11, 2018

El Jefe Full Member

If you look in every thread, someone will say the issue is the fullbacks, CBs, right wing, Lukaku etc etc.

The reality is the problem is all over the pitch and its because of our Passing.

Our passing especially from the back is ridiculously poor for a top side. We don't move the ball well enough and without that we don't open up teams enough to give us the space to be lethal in attack. We also struggle to be of any use when pressed aggressively in our half because our passing is terrible. This is 100% Mourinho's fault and I struggle to see us improving much in this department no matter who we sign.
  26. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

We could have the best wingers in the world but they need space to operate in. Everything away from home is very compact. Willing runners behind would open things up got them.
  27. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

You don't get the thread
  28. Feb 11, 2018

Ivor Ballokov Full Member

That's not entirely true, if they're slowing play down and constantly passing sideways then it will effect our forward play. Lindelof was probably signed to improve our playing out from the back but he falls short of the actual defending bit at the moment.

Not that I disagree with your assessment of the full backs, in fact you're spot on. We need to invest there in the summer.
  29. Feb 11, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

He doesnt give us defensive solidarity. He gets caught out like most attack minded fullbacks and today in particular he's lucky we didnt have the ref who sent off Nani in the champions league against Real Madrid because his high challenge was more dangerous than the one we got punished for on that day and further from reaching the ball.

He's okay, does some defending and does some attacking but isnt great at either right now.
  30. Feb 11, 2018

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

A decent fullback would offer both.

Thats why despite all the nonsese spoke about him being one of the best fullbacks in creation the harsh truth is that Valencia isnt a great fullback.

He is decent defensively most of the time these days (when he first started he was atrocious defensively), but the actually being a fullback bit he sucks at, and always has done.

He doesnt stretch the play, doesnt run the wing, doesnt offer width, doesnt offer an option to switch the play, doesnt try and pin his opponants back and so on and so on.

People were raving about Young a couple of games ago because he put a passable impression of an average full back, weve become so used to not having them that we think someone having a game where they were “ok” is a revelation.
  31. Feb 11, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

The issue is the full backs

the centre backs...

the centre mids..

the striker....

Oh shit
  32. Feb 11, 2018

Dion Full Member

Shaw lost all his attacking instincts with his injury and valencia lost them all years ago. Young is the slowest and inverted so it's understandable, but he's still miles more adventurous.
  33. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Nah you don't get it
  34. Feb 11, 2018

Dion Full Member

Said this about Shaw's performance, fullbacks need to perform two roles. Ours don't.
  35. Feb 11, 2018

Castia Full Member

I do agree the wing backs aren’t linking with the attack. I added more to my original reply explaining why I think the centre backs are a complete waste of fecking space though.

I actually don’t understand why Shaw keeps getting dropped. He’s played 8-9 games lately and has been decent in every match, yet he randomly gets taken out for Young.
  36. Feb 11, 2018

Kazi Full Member

Sorry for not being a tactical genius :(
  37. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

It's ok. I'll forgive you.
  38. Feb 11, 2018

LuisNaniencia Sky Sports called my bluff

Valencia has these days when he has no interest at all in attacking. I can't figure out whether it's by instruction or not.
  39. Feb 11, 2018

Rajma Full Member

Always makes me laugh when people complain about our fullbacks providing zero attacking threat and yet fail to notice that they're being instructed to sit tight.
  40. Feb 11, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Spot on. Every other team worth their salt essentially has two extra attackers when their full backs push forward, I like Valencia defensively and Young has his moments but they were both very limited as wingers and even more so as full backs. We lack so much width, especially when most of our wingers are already converted inside forwards.

I just can't fathom how we've ended up in a situation like this, plenty of talented young full backs have moved clubs in the last few years and the last one we signed was Shaw (Darmian too but the less said about him the better).

We've found ourselves in the same situation City did when they had to move on players like Zabaletta/Clichy. If we're hoping TFM can be a back up next season I still think realistically we need 2, probably 3, full backs in the summer. Modern football just relies so heavily on attacking full backs, last years' CL finalists had some cracking FBs (Alves and Sandro for Juventus, Marcelo and Carvajal at Madrid) that alone should be enough to highlight their importance.