"The Junior Board"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by FujiVice, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jul 8, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

Just listened to an interview with Andy Mitten and he brings up something I felt worth discussing. He said Sir Alex mentioned years ago that there was what he called a "junior board" at United. People who aren't with the club (ex-players, ex-managers etc.) trying to dictate and influence what goes on at the club. "You wouldn't get this in Busby's day, the manager isnt doing his job properly" etc.

Found it especially relevant considering how things are with the club and a lot of ex-players currently. Van Gaal and Mourinho have both slagged off Scholes, Neville etc. for what they feel is agenda ridden opinions.

What do you think? Should ex-players know their role a bit and not be overly critical or does it just fall into apart of the job criteria for a United manager, to have to put up with the criticism from club legends.
  2. Jul 8, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Suspecting this thread will become a place to bash the class of 92. Just curious who was Sir Alex talking about when he mentioned a "junior board"?
  3. Jul 8, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Scholes, Giggs and the Neville bros.
  4. Jul 8, 2018

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

If you perform below expectations or the clubs high standards expect criticism.

That not to say it always right but everyone has a right to have their opinion. Especially if they don’t work for the club they can say what they like
  5. Jul 8, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

He mentioned it years ago, I didn't think their influence was that great then.

Although I'm thinking of this as when Sir Alex was still manager.
  6. Jul 8, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

I was just joking as you'd mentioned CO92
  7. Jul 8, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

There is no top club where it does not happen. So it's not something that's unique to us.
    What I find insulting is when people think fans opinions are dictated by ex players. I could not give less of a shite what Gary Neville and co thinks of how we play,for instance. Most fans make judgements on their own.
  8. Jul 8, 2018

r3idy New Member

The ex pros are pundits to make controversial statements so that Broadcaster A outdoes Broadcaster B. I guess somebody like Scholes is in a no win situation. If he toes the club line then he is seen as being a soft touch. If he is overly critical, its because he is serving his new paymasters.

I don't have an issue with Scholes or Neville per se. My issue is more with so-called Professional Journalists who have a more insidious agenda against the club or player 'If only Lukaku put in that kind of displays for United that he is putting in for Belgium'
  9. Jul 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Getting your opinions from the Neville brothers is a bad move since they are hyperbolic and provocative. Scholes doesn't really give opinions he just mumbles. Giggs is quite ordinary and doesn't try to rock the boat. Beckham doesn't do punditry. Butt is actually helping the club by being a coach.

If Gary stopped calling everything embarrassing and Phil switched to teletext commentary the class of 92 would be so much better.
  10. Jul 8, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

Don't have much time for them, I'm indifferent to them. My point is I don't think they sway fans opinions of what goes on at the club.
    I have heard Wenger, Mourinho and more managers say that ex players have caused fans to behave in a particular way.
    I don't think it's true.
  11. Jul 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

You have to consider that most fans idolise these ex-players and take their opinions very seriously. Plus most fans are of average intelligence and so aren't the best critical thinkers.
  12. Jul 8, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    Ex players by themselves may not have too much direct impact on many fans. However because of their standing they do have impact on the media, and the media will have an impact on them, and the two groups will feed off each other.

Something most people don't like to admit, or don't even like to believe, is how easily led most people are once the majority of the media is telling them one thing. Once the media has decided something, a significant amount of people are easily led to believe that same thing. Then those people, combined with the media, will convince more people. It will also feed back to the media and they will state those opinions as facts more and more. More people then get convinced, and so on and so on. It all feeds on itself. People are sheep unfortunately. And the rise of social media, reality television and the likes have made it quite a bit worse over the last decade.
  13. Jul 10, 2018

lysglimt Full Member

If an ex-player has been playing near the top or at the top, his entire career - why shouldn't he be allowed to criticize a club that suddenly starts finishing 4th, 5th or 6th while playing poor football ? If anyone should be allowed - it should be him
  14. Jul 10, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

SAF himself, was known to use a lot of deflection/hyperbole to achieve what he wanted to, so I'm not sure if he was serious about this junior board.
  15. Jul 10, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Not one comment last season by ex players was not justified. We were awful to watch.

If Mourinho is so offended by the criticism, then perhaps he should look to formulate a new tactical style that gets the best out of the players available.
  16. Jul 10, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

It could be worse, it could be Backstreet Boys.
  17. Jul 10, 2018

RedRoseTyke New Member

It's a fact of life, these days. Everyone films everyone else, people watch intimate TV reality shows, everyone feels they are entitled to have an opinion and state it.

The high salaries of managers in large organisations, in part, compensates for the extra stresses caused by this.
  18. Jul 10, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

Firstly these players are pundits and are paid to give their opinion. Secondly have any of them come out and criticised the manager or the style of play that wasn't founded? We can all see the dire football being played week in week out, no style, no guts, no true desire. How can you expect any of the past players to be happy and enthusiastic about what is happening to the club they love and once played for?