The myth that we don't have good players

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Adisa, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

It simply has to stop. How many times does this have to be proven? When forced to play, time and time again, we see how good some of these players are. The same pattern has played out for a long time now, we only attack when we are forced.
  2. Oct 6, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Wait till we lose to shit tactics and you'll see people jumping on the bandwagon that we have championship players.

When forced to play and attack you could see the quality, the potential is there. It just needs to be unleashed properly.
  3. Oct 6, 2018

Judas Open to offers

Overall I’ve never doubted our players, just the man leading them.
  4. Oct 6, 2018

Handré1990 Full Member

Some will take this as a sign that Mourinho deserves time, and they’ll be sorely mistaken. This was a victory despite Mourinho, not because of him. Look at the players coming in and performing, like Mata and Sanchez, also a heavy contributor in this win is Martial, a player Mourinho apparently doesn’t like.

Like in the comeback vs City Sanchez, Pogba and Martial came alive when we have absolutely nothing to lose and attack for a majority of the time. How about we instill this mentality of attacking without fear from the start of each game? Insted of ALWAYS waiting for the other team to get going. We won’t though, not with this manager in charge.

Edit: Many players aren’t good enough as well though. Must be pointed out.
  5. Oct 6, 2018

Snowjoe Enjoys hatching eggs for people Staff

We obviously do have top players but we also have too many players who you’d be happy to have as squad cover playing week in week out.

I don’t know how anyone could look at our defence and think it’s good enough.
  6. Oct 6, 2018

NinjaFletch Full Member

Well, once consistently would be nice.
  7. Oct 6, 2018

freeurmind weak willed

De Gea, Pogba and Mata are the only players we have that I feel could ever be considered as truly, consistently world class. I like Romero, Dalot, Herrera, Matic (at times), Lukaku, Fellaini and Martial when he's not sulking but if we tried to sell them I'd doubt any of the top European clubs would be in for them.
  8. Oct 6, 2018

LoneStar Full Member

We have some very good players, and equally bad ones as well.

Matic, Rashford and Lukaku are average players.

Young, Darmian, Valencia, Lindelof, Baily and a couple of others are below average.

But tbf, a lot of then were bought by Jose.
  9. Oct 6, 2018

Not saying we don't have shit. We have lots of players who should be nowhere near this club. But we have consistently got diddly squat out of players who are talented enough to tear up this league. i refuse to believe a team with Martial, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic on form would be struggling to pick up points against also-ran teams.
  10. Oct 6, 2018

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Looks like Mourinho's man management got a good performance out of sanchez today... dropping him for a game seems to have reinvigorated him. Maybe playing him from the bench for a little while could be a good idea

whatever we can do to have his quality more often we should do because he is certainly a good player
  11. Oct 6, 2018

Suvaid666 Full Member

I dont think I've ever doubted the skill of our players. Its more to do with the consistency. Doubt Martial, Mata and Co can turn up week in, week out. Hopefully we go on a run and the lads prove me wrong.
  12. Oct 6, 2018

FootyGirl88

This is what Jose has people thinking because of his poor tactics
  13. Oct 6, 2018

Yagami Full Member

I don't think anyone thinks our defence is good enough. Only de Gea, Shaw and Smalling are good, imo. Oh, and we have good backup GKs, too. Thing is, that comes down to José. He chose to sign Lindelof and Bailly, and chose to sell our 2nd best CB before Jones/Rojo. I'm sure he could've got another FB if he wanted, too, but he seemed to put his faith in Young and Valencia. He opted for Dalot instead of a ready made FB, which I'm sure we could've got.

He definitely hinders our attack, though. With the shackles off, we can do some damage to other teams.
  14. Oct 6, 2018

That's the thing. They will never be consistent if told to play in the opponent's box one week and on the halfway line the other.
  15. Oct 6, 2018

Jinn Full Member

The difference is that the second half was played in the opposition box.
    Martial was exhausted after the game. I don't think I've ever seen him out of breathe. You could argue that he only plays cameos but in those cameos he should be running his arse off. If he maintains this sort of attitude you will see a much better player consistently.
    I've come to accept that lukaku is not good enough and he performs best when out on the right. He offered nothing in terms of creativity that's expected from a united striker. Pogba was brilliant, drove us on. Sanchez, the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, needs to definitely perform at a higher level more consistently.
    We have shit centre halves, that's what I see.
  16. Oct 6, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Most of the players aren’t fantastic with a ball and almost all aren’t particularly good at decisions and movement. We know more can be had from them though, to the point where it wouldn’t be highlighted anywhere near as much. Most on here have said that all along.
  17. Oct 6, 2018

Tiber Full Member

I think that a new manager can breath life back into Martial's career. His career has stalled but there is real talent there.

We don't have a title winning side, but there is talent in this squad.

If we did get Zidane (not my preference personally) you might finally see the best of Pogba, playing for a a manger he is said to idolise
  18. Oct 6, 2018

DownRiver New Member

Can someone post the time when they played intricate-triangle-pep-football? Mesmerising. Just makes me want Mourinho to be sacked quickly and get an attacking manager.
  19. Oct 6, 2018

OldSchoolManc Full Member

Being a good player includes having character.
    Character to perform when the chips are down.
    Character to come back when you are losing.
    Character to play at your best against ‘lesser’ teams.
    Character to do it game after game.
  20. Oct 6, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

We have some excellent players, some very good players but problem is that we have dross in defence
  21. Oct 6, 2018

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

It's not a myth and for the record we just come back from being 2 down at home to Newcastle. We do have good players but as a club we've become complacent in the market and we need to sell and buy. This stops teams going stale. This team could an should easily challenge for the top 4 but if your aims are higher, then yes we need to sell and buy....
  22. Oct 6, 2018

gajender Full Member

Mata is not good enough to be regular for any team aspiring for top honours let alone him being world class , Dalot is a highly rated youngster who was tracked by several big club's he would certainly end up at top club if he is put up for sale.

Despite Martial's trouble at United he could be very attractive proposition for Top club's with his contract situation .
  23. Oct 6, 2018

Regalia Full Member

Agreed 100%. We have some talented players. Doesn't mean they are 'good' players. Being good and being successful needs a lot more than just talent, and half our team lacks that. Unfortunately, the few that have the character and drive kind of need more in the talent department. Best of both worlds at Man United.

Fact is, the sum of this team is not good enough to challenge. It's like a car with a Ferrari engine, but a $20 chassis from the scrap pile and some tires off a moped.
  24. Oct 6, 2018

Rob67 Full Member

I just think that if we had a top quality defence we would be able to attack with more numbers. Jose doesn't trust our back four and so has to play holding midfielders to compensate.
    I really believe that our defence is holding us back. Apart from Shaw and Dalot, I would bin the rest asap. Valencia, Young, Jones, Smalling, Lindelhof, Bailly are simply not good enough. How many of these players would get into a top six side? None.
  25. Oct 6, 2018

DizeeGorilla20 Full Member

And how many times has it actually been proven?

Funny how fickle football fans can be. One win against Newcastle and it's almost like we weren't in 10th place going into this game playing some of the most boring football imaginable.
  26. Oct 6, 2018

Rash Decision Full Member

That's on the manager.
  27. Oct 6, 2018

The euphoria of the win has suddenly changed peoples views. I'm pretty sure this thread would not have been posted had we lost.
  28. Oct 6, 2018

So everything bad is on the manager and everything good is on the players?

Was he not the one who chose to start Martial and bring on Mata/Sanchez from the bench? Or did the players make those choices?

Blame goes both ways. We have a manager who is over the hill and a squad full of average and inconsistent players.
  29. Oct 6, 2018

steffyr2 Full Member

I watched 8 attacking players against an exhausted and really bad Newcastle today. We struggled to score. Multiple crosses in from the wings achieving nothing. No one with control thru the center. The players aren't very good and the defense is awful.
  30. Oct 6, 2018

Rash Decision Full Member

No, but I firmly believe a lot of our players are better than they look under this manager, and the core problem is his coaching and system.
  31. Oct 6, 2018

Mcking Full Member

The players are not the problem.
  32. Oct 6, 2018

Rightnr Full Member

I definitely agree. With previous managers, we had a sub-par first 11 in many positions. One thing Mourinho has done well is bring in good players.

They just need a different manager and we'll be seeing a lot more of what we saw against Newcastle today (in the 2nd half), Man City (2nd half) and Arsenal (last year).
  33. Oct 6, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

I think we have a handful of players (literally, one hand) whose best quality is their quality. The rest is made up of attitude, height, strength and other such main assets.

Pogba, Mata, Martial, Shaw and maybe Sanchez are the players who became known as good players due to footballing ability. I’m not sure we have enough of it on the pitch at once though. Often we have Lukaku, Rashford, Fellaini, Lingard and Lingard whose BEST (not necessarily ‘only’) qualities are attitude, height, strength, willingness etc. I’m undecided if Sanchez leans more to this side too, as a decline in physical qualities have massively impacted his effectiveness.

This causes a lack of fluidity and many moves breaking down. We have, or regularly line up with, the toolkit of a side not geared to taking the initiative from an attacking perspective. They are the traits of a team meant to be hard to beat, first and foremost, but the thing is we have more of the ball and are expected to lead every match.
  34. Oct 6, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

We don't have good defenders.

Sadly you need good defenders to have a great team.
  35. Oct 6, 2018

OldSchoolManc Full Member

Excellent analogy! :)
  36. Oct 6, 2018

el3mel Full Member

The players that played well are the players we know they're quality as Martial and Pogba, while the likes of Rom and Rashford still proved they're poor.
  37. Oct 6, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Some of our players are shit.

Specifically our fullbacks and our RW.

Valencia and Young are past it (despite the decent performance at times last season). Darmian is not good enough. Luke Shaw is finally showing his potential and Dalot is very inexperienced. He could be wonderful, its too early to judge.

We don't have a RW, we use Mata (a CAM), Rashford (a striker) and Lingard (better centrally).

Also we don't have a single centre back who can reach the highest standard. They're all decent but none of them are top top quality.

It's not the same as "our players are shit", but not everyone is a good player.
  38. Oct 6, 2018

elnorte Freaky fly day

The consensus amongst those with expertise in the media seems to be that the club lacks the necessary quality to compete with the best teams for the top honours. I think this is the new true. We need a few new players in a variety of positions.
  39. Oct 6, 2018

Scarlett Dracarys ( . Y . )

Times like these I miss that brick wall better known an Vidic.
  40. Oct 6, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    You can't stop but admire how fluid we were when left to attack with no strings attached, same with the 3-2 comeback win at City and then turn back and think the feck the manager was doing with how he set the team up for a majority of matches, including like last week against West Ham. Its a simple thing that when you dominate possession you can shield your defense much better.