The Pogba red card

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Yorkeontop, Dec 2, 2017.

?

What's your opinion?

1. He meant it. Red card.

2. Didn't mean it but it's still a red card.

3. Didn't mean it, it's not a red card.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dec 4, 2017

Gasolin Full Member

Your link doesn't exist.
  2. Dec 4, 2017

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

Try this one.
  3. Dec 4, 2017

reddaz71 Full Member

On the video evidence its a red regardless of intent but what the FA sadly cannot get there head around anymore is that Football is a contact sport,give me the FA of the 1970s any day of the week!!!
  4. Dec 4, 2017

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

No idea what Bellerin was trying to do, but it's a red. If it were the other way around, we'd all be screaming for the red. One match or three match ban, well, what's done is done. Either way he'd miss the derby, which is the big one.
  5. Dec 4, 2017

LuenerLinguist Banned

6. Dec 4, 2017

decorativeed Full Member

That video shows me that the ref couldn't possibly have seen what happened properly, as there's a player blocking his view. Also, no referee on earth can take things in with the microsecond by microsecond detail that a video can.

Also, there's a reason people don't tackle like Bellerin does in this incident, because it's likely to result in injury. Pogba has no chance of pulling out of that, he's already in his stride.
  7. Dec 4, 2017

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

I put it as still a red although I thin it could and should have been a stern yellow. That's because I don't think intent is the key but recklessness.

In fairness to Poggers, Bellerin was as reckless. Not in a dangerous way for Paul but in the way he put his body on the line and made ir nigh on impossible to avoid contact.

Still think if he had gone straight to talk to the ref it may not have been red.
  8. Dec 4, 2017

AngliaRed Full Member

United decide not to appeal red card!

I guess they think its a waste of time!

As long as our players dont all wear Pogba t shirts during the warm up sunday. :D

We need to move on to CSKA and qualify then worry about the derby!
  9. Dec 4, 2017

El Zoido Full Member

It would never be overturned so there’s no point in appealing. The whole set of circumstances is very unlucky for Pogba and the club, I still maintain it wasn’t dangerous nor deliberate and was just an very unfortunate accident that looked bad and nothing more.
  10. Dec 4, 2017

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Pogba hit the ball before he hit the opponent.
    He did not intentionally step on Bellerin's leg, then he would have to know that he would put it there in advance.
    He is going in for the ball, he is not showing studs, running normally, and Bellerin chose to try to stop the ball by moving his leg into a weird position (which pretty much noone does except from sunday league 5- a side), and Pogba lands on it. It is an accident mainly caused by the way Bellerin chose to "attack" the ball.
    I cannot see how some of you can say it's a clear red card.
    And stop this stupid "end of" bullocks, it doesn't make you win the argument.

Watch the video a couple posts over the comment you quoted from me, and see the experts in studio disagreeing on it, so it's not as "end of" as you want it to be.

And as i said in a reply to someone else, i would not say it was a red card if it was against us either.
  11. Dec 4, 2017

mitchmouse Full Member

he does follow through, he does catch the player and therefore it is red. but what sort of position was the Arsenal player taking up. it's only over the top if it's over the top and his leg was flat on the floor. it could have been seen by some refs as yellow
  12. Dec 4, 2017

AngliaRed Full Member

27 pages of everyone arguing against eachother whether its intentional or not!

Only Pogba knows so lets move on now please!
  13. Dec 4, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    @ the bolded, speak for yourself. Don't know if it's a British/Euro thing where ones passion and bias is so big they'd let affiliation get in the way of reviewing an incident like this. Here in Canada we just call a spade a spade and call it how it is. Don't get why that's so hard to do in other places.
  14. Dec 4, 2017

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
    I agree with you on both, but that doesn't change that Pogbas decision to stretch out for a ball that was already away from him was a bad and rash decision that led to this happening. Putting this all on Bellerin is ludicrous, both players acted stupidly. You also can't say 'no referee on Earth can take things in microsecond by microsecond' but then try to make a case that Bellerin had enough time to coordinate a position in his head to put himself into and where to put his knee over his leg and all the rest of it. He had the same time that Pogba and the ref had. So either put equal blame, or none at all on anybody. All 3 of them had the same time as each other to react or act.
  15. Dec 4, 2017

BusbyMalone Full Member

It was a freak accident in my opinion. I suppose i can see why the ref sent him off, but there was no malicious intent at all for me. 3 games just seems ridiculous for that.

What the absolute fecking hell Bellerin was doing i don't know. What a bizarre movement. Just made no sense whatsoever. Bellend.

I realise how i sound saying that, but it's so bizarre the shape he had his body in.
  16. Dec 4, 2017

Wonder what would have happened had Bellerin gone into the situation like a normal defender.
    You can see on the way Pogba tries to poke the ball, that he has no intention of stepping on Bellerin.
    It's a bit like Nani vs Real Madrid, except it's not in the chest.
    I agree that he doesn't "win" the ball, but he hits the ball before the defender, in a way that shows that's his only intention.
    So in my opinion, not red.
  17. Dec 4, 2017

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

If Bellerin had done the same thing to Pogba, I'd be wanting a red card, so I don't have any complaints about the decision. I am being consistent and trying to be objective.
  18. Dec 4, 2017

Player Red Full Member

"Experts"?? I would guess the best source would be former referees not washed up ex-pros.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nchester-Uniteds-Paul-Pogba-not-seen-red.html
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...s-a-tremendous-decision-says-dermot-gallagher

No appeal, 3 match ban. End of.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...inho-cska-moscow-premier-league-a8091046.html
  19. Dec 4, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    I'm quite ashamed and disappointed in finding United have/will not appeal, for not even attempting to have the decision reversed in its entirety let alone appealing to get the penalty reduced at the least.

This gives off the impression United are fine with whatever decisions refs hand out (and there are wrong/unjust ones just because it's the nature of sports as they can't get em all right) at the expense of both players being screwed around and the team by being at a disadvantage from the player not being available to play. It's especially discouraging since there was definitely a story to be told from Paul's side which could very well have defended the play he made.

If this was reversed

I just can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't at the minimum put in an appeal. There's literally nothing to lose from doing so and more likely than not you shed light from Pogba's POV to show it was no where near a dangerous play as the straight red suggested, more likely than not having the 3 games reduced - if not, completely exonerated.
  20. Dec 4, 2017

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

That we chose not to appeal the decision speaks volumes in itself.

Better we dust ourselves off and learn to live without Pogba for the forseeable future.
  21. Dec 4, 2017

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

You're flogging a dead horse, lad.
  22. Dec 4, 2017

I disagree, and i find it weird they chose not to appeal.

You think he did it intentionally?
    Does it look like he goes in to hurt Bellerin?
    How often do we see defenders go in like Bellerin did?
    Do you think Pogba would have hurt Bellerin had he not put his leg in that awkward position?

I do not think so.

23. Dec 4, 2017

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a foul with contact of any kind ever appealed successfully.

Anything with any kind of visible studs or sarcastic applause would never get rescinded.

It’s such a shitty red card due to shitty rules taking contact in football to the extreme. Had that not been a red on the day, he would not have got a retrospective ban imo.
  24. Dec 4, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    At this point, yes I'm aware. Just letting it be known I'm quite appalled at United for not even attempting to put in a mere appeal request. Rubs me the wrong way and I know it would even more so if I was the player.

Oh well. What's done is done and now everyone moves on I guess. Doesn't mean I still can't disagree with both the decision and United's unwillingness to implore it.
  25. Dec 4, 2017

manunited1919 Full Member

Not appealing does not mean this should or shouldn’t have been a red. It only means United decided they have minimal chance of overturning the red card: a). There are enough doubts in many people’s minds as to not overrule the official in the field. b). FA won’t and don’t want to be seen making United any favors.
  26. Dec 4, 2017

RuudTom83 Full Member

I forget in the hysteria of it all...was it a straight red? or a second yellow!?

1 game is more than enough for that, even opposing fans must agree Ballerina put his leg in a terrible position where the only outcome was going to be an impact with Pogba’s boot.

In that sense it was a very unusual tackle and hard to analyse for the referee.
  27. Dec 4, 2017

To people harping about Pogba landing his left leg on Bellerin’s ankle: watch the video carefully. As soon as Pogba realizes his right foot landed in Bellerin’s leg, he tries to pull back ever so slightly, and needs to plant his left foot somewhere. It’s an instinctive reaction. He needs to plant his left foot, and it just happens to land where Bellerin’s ankle is. Pogba is not even looking down, and cannot possibly know where the ankle is.
    The whole thing is an accident, and should not have been a red card. However, the ref doesn’t have the luxury of replays or time to analyze, and I can see why he gave a red.
  28. Dec 4, 2017

Straight red, 3 game suspension.
  29. Dec 4, 2017

Icemav Full Member

feck knows what Bellerin was trying to do but he wasnt wrongfooted. If players did that multiple times a game there would be multiple red cards and stud marks aplenty. I can understand why the ref gave it at the time but the whole thing is a farce. If defenders dive headfirst at the ball on the ground and get a boot in the face that doesnt make it an automatic red. Weird defending shouldnt be rewarded, nor should we be punishing opposing players caught by surprise.
  30. Dec 4, 2017

Vialli_92 Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    It was very unlucky the defender went in the way he did however he still done a stamping motion towards the ball and caught the player with a stamp so red card for me
  31. Dec 4, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Dodged a bullet there.
  32. Dec 4, 2017

Don _ Conte Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Other than Lukaku not getting banned recently, but we will forget that one.
  33. Dec 4, 2017

Treble Full Member

But you still can't see why the club won't appeal it. If the red card wasn't deserved, the club would have appealed. It isn't rocket science. Pogba is so important and it doesn't make any sense not to appeal it if the decision was wrong.
  34. Dec 4, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    What I've essentially been preaching the moment the incident occurred in a nutshell. Sucks, just a shitty and bizarre situation all around.
  35. Dec 4, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Just because the club didn't appeal doesn't mean all of sudden there isn't a story to be told from Pogba's side. Myself and many others have told it in this thread numerous times. And like the decision, I find it quite embarrassing that United completely backed off and didn't even try to put in an appeal. To me it shows they just want to move on and know there's little chance of it being overturned. Still doesn't mean they couldn't have put in an appeal because atm it's not a positive impression they're giving by not backing a player who had a legitimate case to share.
  36. Dec 4, 2017

Icemav Full Member

Yes it does suck. And if pros want to learn a great way to "take one for the team" and get an opponent sent off this is it.
  37. Dec 4, 2017

tombombadil Full Member

Wow, there are so many people desperately trying to argue it is not a red. Who are we trying to kid? Pogba stepped on Bellerin's leg. No amount of twisting the facts can undo that fact. Pogba had no intention and it was really unlucky. All that is true, but the fact of the matter is Pogba stepped on Bellerin's leg. There's no arguing our way out of that. Jesus. Get grip, guys. We really need to start adapting to life without Pogba quick.
  38. Dec 4, 2017

Icemav Full Member

Agree. If he had zero intent, and that is clear to me, we should appeal. I dont care how fruitless the endeavour might be.
  39. Dec 4, 2017

Treble Full Member

Maybe, just maybe, they know better than you? Have you entertained the possibility that you are actually wrong on this one?
  40. Dec 4, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

If the club did not try to appeal, they are convinced that it will not get overturned. The club would have taken previous such instances and decided that the appeal was not worth it.