The relative strength of the Premier League

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Wumminator, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mar 14, 2019

Stocar Full Member

I don't think that the quality of two leagues has changed or fluctuated much. People like to construct narratives over any given set of patterns, and all kinds of strange runs of results happen in cup competitions. There was not much of a difference in quality in any given moment over the last few decades.
  2. Mar 14, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Again impressive performance on the Europa League. When was the last time England had 6 teams on the last 8 in both competitions?
  3. Mar 15, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

The prem is back on top thanks to the appointment of great coaches. Klopp and Pep as we all know have done great jobs at our rivals. Poch ditto and he hasn't lost players in a while. We are experiencing a resurgence after getting rid of the las dinosaur at a big club. This dominance of Europe will be the norm as long as the coaching is of the current standard and the English clubs remain as great financially.
  4. Mar 15, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

You must be watching a different league. Lower table sides in the prem barely have any talent at all. Watch Cardiff vs Brighton or Burnley vs Newcastle and tell me if you see any quality there. Midtable and above its decent but the rest is trash. Outside of Zaha who's quality at Palace?
  5. Mar 15, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    What? Spanish teams are clearly looking worse than a few years ago (Atletico and Madrid especially) while english teams are obviously at a higher level.

It doesn't even have to do with the results. You only need to watch them play.
  6. Mar 15, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

Wan Bissaka, Townsend, Tomkins...

If you think a Burnley vs Newcastle or Cardiff vs Brighton are awful, you should look at a Spal vs Empoli or Girona vs Leganes... maybe you will find a new perspective about how real awful teams look like.
  7. Mar 15, 2019

Stacks Full Member

Last season 2 Spanish teams won both European trophies. 3 made the quarters of the CL. 4 made it out the groups of the Europa League and one of them won it.What If they were English? We would be banging on about the "relative strength of the Premier league" just before you chat about domination, remember this is one season out of God Knows how many
  8. Mar 15, 2019

Treble Full Member

6 – Six English teams will appear in the quarter-finals of major European competitions this season for only the second time ever, after 1970-71. Union.

— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe)
  9. Mar 15, 2019

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

I said it already last season that the premier league sides had improved a lot and would be ready for europe. We see it this season even more.
    Some big clubs like Bayern and Real have declined. PSG should be good, but have mental problems. Juventus and Barca are strong, but the rest not so much.

Man City is sadly the best team around right now although they don't have a Ronaldo or Messi.
  10. Mar 15, 2019

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

I think you could already see the decline last season though. Real Madrid won it, but you could see the squad being weaker than the season before and key players getting older. They had a bit more luck and turned it on in the big moments. Barca also didn't impress last season in europe.
    The trend is the same for this season. I think Barca now with Coutinho and Arthur have lifted them a bit in midfield, but they still seem beatable and I am not sure valverde is the man to lead them.

Spain and Germany have become weaker. At both club and national level.
  11. Mar 15, 2019

dbs235 Full Member

I know football isn't played on paper but when the likes of Fulham who are one of the worst teams in the league and about to be relegated have Schurrle, Vietto, Seri etc it does show that the standard is pretty high.
  12. Mar 15, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Nonsense. The top teams in England are the best but the lower to midtable teams at least in Spain are at the same level. Regular La Liga followers here will tell you that.
  13. Mar 15, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

When someone lists the likes of Tomkins and Townsend as examples of quality then you know they are reaching.
  14. Mar 15, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

A team with Aspas, Emre Mor and Boufal is about to get relegated in la liga.
  15. Mar 15, 2019

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Yeah but that's the problem with the PL. All these clubs with too much money buy these washed up players who couldn't cut it at the big clubs instead of doing what the clubs in La Liga do and actually try scout talent, mainly because the La Liga clubs are forced to because of their lower budgets. The recruitment policy in England is just so damn lazy.

Stoke and Sunderland both did the same thing for years and were absolute dogshit and ended up relegated.

It always reminds me of that Sunderland til I die documentary where the scouts have Ibrahimovic down as a potential player they could sign and the chairman looks at them completely baffled :lol:
  16. Mar 16, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

Interestingly when Stoke went down they sold about six players to European quality sides.

Shapiro, Chuppo Moting, Jesé, Grant, N’diyae, Zouma all left to play European football quality teams.

The likes of Muniesa, Wimmer, Imbula all couldn’t get in the squad and now ply their trade in the Bundesliga/ La Liga.

They managed to keep hold of players like Butland, Allen and other recognised internationals.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019