The Rugby League Thread | Aussies win WC final

Discussion in 'Other Sport' started by Werder Herzog, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Nov 3, 2016

Werder Herzog Full Member

Does anyone on here follow Super League? Did a thread search and could not find one.. i don't have a team but keep an eye on Leigh, Salford and Leeds (my mate is a huge Leeds Rhinos fan so although there's our football rivalry i do have a soft spot).

Anyway be good to discuss if anyone else is into it or you all Union fans?
  2. Nov 5, 2016

Maccaa Full Member

Salford fan here. Not looking good for us next season if I'm honest. Tim Sheens has gone and a few cruical players and the recruitment hasn't been the best. We was already well under the salary cap last season and we've lost a few big earners and not replaced them well. Most of the back room staff have been laid off and major cuts to the academy.

Massive shame after the way we won the million pound game but I suppose that's how it is when we can't get big crowds and we're in major debt. The new stadium killed us.
  3. Nov 5, 2016

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Castleford Tigers fan. Had a season ticket when I was a kid. Had two seasons where I went to every game home and away. It was ace that all the opposition was along the M62, so it was never much more than an hour away.

More of a follower than a fan now. Not really as close to the team, but just enjoy the spectacle of Rugby League. Watch it whenever it's on.

State of Origin is one of the very best sporting events to watch as a neutral, in my opinion. It's intense as feck and I have no bias to either side. I've not watched any other sport as a neutral with the same intensity and excitement.
  4. Nov 5, 2016

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

I watch plenty of the NRL and the pundit shows like the Footy show and Monday night with Matty Johns but I feel the Super League is far lower standard. I still watch SL though and my local side Whitehaven but they are slipping down the leagues because of no funds.
  5. Nov 6, 2016

EdWeatherall TFD

Love it
    It's one of my favourite sports to watch - don't really support a team
    Enjoyed Aus - NZ last night, shame England just can't get up to their levels
  6. Nov 7, 2016

What reasons would you give for SL being so far behind NRL in terms of quality guys? Is it just money? Seems odd to me SL signed its life away to sky for 6 years- with it being a work class sport i know for one i cannot afford sky to follow it. Such a shame it does not get a bigger audience as it's so intriguing to watch.

@Maccaa , i really do feel for Salford so much potential which should draw a fan base from all over Salford and Manchester but as you said the stadium move killed them. Difficult to get to, especially if you don't drive and soulless.

In England the way it's run needs sorting, does not seem to be a clear vision from above on how to sell it and bring more fans in.
  7. Nov 7, 2016

Also why the pig is four nations at grounds like Coventry, London and Liverpool? i know Saints are fairly close to liverpool but non of them are hardly RL hot beds.
  8. Nov 7, 2016

Better quality players. Bigger, Faster and Stronger too IMO. The crazy thing you find with NRL is that it is huge in Oz but you don't see the stadiums full like you do with English Football unless it's like a playoff game or something. I think NRL has the better coverage like the shows I mentioned above, Having good analysis makes such a big difference. In the UK we have got the likes of Stevo as the main man who is pretty poor.

I don't have SkySports anymore but watch every Super League game (well the ones I want to anyways), NRL Games plus all the NRL shows. PM me if you want to know what I use. But I agree with what you are saying generally about it signing with Sky, the league needs that money though unfortunately.
  9. Nov 7, 2016

We have got a NZ vs Scotland game here in Cumbria, But I think we deserve it as there is such a good following in this county.
  10. Nov 7, 2016

That's good to know, a shame the Cumbrian belt of clubs are in the lower leagues- were Whitehaven or Featherstone not meant to get a new stadium? Would love to know what you use to watch NRL as i only know of Premier Sports that shows it which is sub based.
  11. Nov 7, 2016

GloryHunter07 Full Member

No its a bit shit
  12. Nov 7, 2016

Yeah both Whitehaven and Workington were relegated this season into the wilderness basically. Whitehaven were a game away from the Super League a few years ago and Workington had 1 terrible year in the SL. Both clubs are massively strapped for cash. They need to merge really to save Rugby League in Cumbria but stubornness from both clubs has prevented it from happening and probably wont ever happen now I don't think.
  13. Nov 7, 2016

11101 Full Member

Support Leeds Rhinos from my time living within sight of the ground. League is great, much better to watch than Union imo.
  14. Nov 7, 2016

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Yeah rhinos fan here as you can tell by my name. I'm in the awkward position of family ties turning me into a united fan as they're all originally from Manchester but I've lived in Leeds most my life so because of my mates throughout the years I've been going to rhinos games since I was like 7.

Our squad was announced today and it's crap, we are losing Zak hardaker and we've given Ashton Goulding the number 1 jersey which is disgrace as he's still too raw for that. Gary Hetherington is one of the tightest owners in super league, we probably generate the most cash out of any team as our gates are highest and we've lost sinny, JP, Kylie leuleui in recent times these were 3 big earners on our salary cap, last season we signed nobody to replace them and this off season our only recruits have been 2 championship players. I'm not expecting much from next season already.
  15. Nov 7, 2016

Marching Somehow still supports Leeds

Hard to believe the start we had to last season and despite losing important players surely we will be better prepared for the new season.
  16. Nov 7, 2016

Where is Hardaker going to? I know he was on loan at Penrith in the NRL last season but not heard much of any of the NRL teams being interested in him now.
  17. Nov 7, 2016

Huddersfield or Salford are the rumours I've heard. I'm suprised no bigger teams are interested in him but he does come with baggage I suppose, it's a shame he's a complete knob off the field because he's a very talented player.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  18. Nov 7, 2016

EdWeatherall TFD

I think it is a few factors

Superior defence in the NRL. It is outstanding whenever a SL team faces an NRL side, the successful patterns that Wigan and the likes use to rip open SL defences are easily thwarted, and they can defend multiple sets on their own goal line against the SL sides. The superior defence in the NRL then breeds better quality of attacking play as the defences are harder to break down.

It's the attacking play that is the difference, England has players over in the NRL who are top class forwards in Burgess (all of them), James Graham etc, but the backs don't cut it in the same way, which is a shame, would love to see more of them play over there and make it

The quality of the teams, in the SL there are 3/4 very good teams most seasons, and then 3/4 rubbish teams, you get weeks off in the SL, you don't in the NRL

The SL however imo is a better watch, the speed of the play the ball is much better, and this is an advantage they can't use in international rugby - which is a shame
  19. Nov 7, 2016

Maccaa Full Member

I think it seems to be that in Australia kids grow up wanting to play rugby league where as in England kids grow up wanting to play football. The salary cap is a lot higher in Australia and I guess playing in the sun over there beats playing in the rain/snow/wind over here. I know a few people who went over to Australia to play rugby league for feeder clubs and they said the amount of money being pumped into the academies over there compared to England is substantial.

Aye there's nothing like being a Salford fan! We have our best season in 10 years and get slapped with a deduction of points. Us as fans have been lied to by the people who run the club year after year and that's a big factor why the crowds are so low. The fact there's hardly any advertising about the upcoming matches doesn't help either. As for Koukash I don't know what to think of him. The guy saved our club but he's turning is in to a laughing stock.

Be a weird signing if we get Hardaker. We're meant to be over signing players with baggage and we have Gareth O'Brien and Niall Evalds who can do a decent job at full back.
  20. Nov 8, 2016

He's going to Castleford is Hardaker, i'm half tempted to buy a Salford season ticket this year Macaa. They really do need another road into the stadium though and better public transport links. The Willows was easy to get to. Koukash should pipe down and if he is really bothered invest in the infrastructure of the club. Throwing money blindly at it obviously didn't work plus a salary cap won't allow that, he needs to be smarter .
  21. Nov 8, 2016

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Played for many, many years and I'm going back to playing next season.
    Used to follow it religiously whilst I was playing but not so much now.

Still love watching the internationals and if I manage to catch a game I enjoy it but I don't follow it nearly half as much anymore. Sort of hoping a bit of that will come back when I go back playing.
  22. Nov 8, 2016

I hate how koukash always plays the victim, he brings all the negative press on himself and Salford.

It'd make sense hardaker going to Cas considering Luke dorn has retired now, tbh they've built a really solid team at Cas, they've got good powerful forwards, creative half backs in rangi chase and Luke Gale and a speedy skilfull backline. They could be a dark horse next season I think.

Like I said a few posts above I'd be seriously pissed at cheapskate Gary Hetheington if we sold hardaker to Cas without getting anyone in return, considering he won't spend the 300k we'd receive for him. I'd love to sign Luke Gale in a player swap as McGuire and burrow aren't what they used to be, due to age and too many injuries.
  23. Nov 8, 2016

Tribec Full Member

The Willows might have been easy to get to, but no room to develop the ground at all and parking was a big issue for the people living around the stadium, always was from when I started watching them way back in the early 80's. I'll be honest they always have been a bit of an odd club, talking big and being in a rather large catchment area, but never really capturing the audience. Even going back to those early days in the 80's a junior season ticket was £5, yet they didn't go into schools and push it. The new stadium was always going to be a white elephant where it was, even if it is "just off the motorway".

I will hold my hands up though, and say that whilst I enjoy SL, I'd happily see Rugby League go back to being a winter sport. I've never been sold on it being a summer game tbh. All it's done is made the game quicker for me. Nothing else and as for the million pound game, can we please get rid of it.
  24. Nov 8, 2016

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

It's a gimmick of a game we could do without, I agree. Having said that I bet you had quite the time at the last one. It was nerve-shredding enough watching as a neutral.
  25. Nov 9, 2016

Tribec Full Member

Quite the opposite, I hated it even if the result went our way some how. Straight up and down promotion please, it's the only fair way of doing it. We don't need this thing in rugby, never have and never will.
  26. Nov 9, 2016

Jep Full Member

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
    Wire fan here. I put a thread up for the grand final as was surprised by not seeing one, its definitely a game that doesn't seem to have a huge following unfortunately.

@JoaquinJoaquin pming you now.
  27. Nov 9, 2016

I think there's a debate that needs to be had on the state of RL in this country. My opinion is that there are too many problems in the sport: falling gates, players leaving for RU and the NRL, a perceived decline in skill and entertainment value etc., for an easy painless solution.

I don't know about you, and perhaps I'm showing my true colours as a supporter of one of the arrogant 'haves' of our game (Wigan RL), but I feel that to stand a chance of competing we need to raise the salary cap, put the onus on clubs to improve their setups from top to bottom, from the first team down to the youngest juniors, and vastly improve their administration/marketing departments. I understand raising the cap prices less-monied clubs out and creates a skewed playing field, but I also think that the current system encourages mediocrity and will lead to our game dying by a thousand cuts with players and fans slowly losing interest in a moribund competition.

I understand it's a balancing act that needs to include every level of the game, from Super League, the Championship and the National Leagues downward, in a positive long-term plan but at the moment I can only see British RL dying on its knees.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  28. Nov 9, 2016

Hopefully this thread can stay open and be the general RL thread. Replied to your PM.
  29. Nov 9, 2016

We have seen this first hand here in Cumbria, A county that was such a hotbed for Rugby League. A few years ago we had Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow all pretty strong teams and the game had good attendances etc. But now it is the complete opposite, Workington and Whitehaven are both crippled for money which has resulted in both teams dropping down the leagues at a very fast rate. Now attendances are lower then ever. They have even tried things like moving home games to Friday nights etc to help build the gates but people don't want to know. It is really worrying for the future of the game here in the county which is a huge shame.

It's not just Rugby League though, I play Union and we have seen teams dropping out of our leagues nearly on a weekly basis now. Teams are struggling to get players. It really is a sorry state of affairs.
  30. Nov 9, 2016

Jep Full Member

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
    Hopefully, can see it being quiet for a bit until new season kicks off. Will have to change thread title if it does to reflect its general thread for all things associated with the proper rugby code :)

One thing i dont understand is how is union so much more popular? All I can imagine is league code is seen as a poor northerners working class game.

Got pm ta. Will have a look into it closer to season starting. Are the commentators better than skys ha ha (they are amusing at times). Only good part of sky is when they get analysis from players (ex and current) who call it how it is whilst understanding the finer details (think G Nev but better).
  31. Nov 9, 2016

That's exactly it. Union is generally played by Southerners and posh private school types mainly (Even though I play Union and am certainly not either of those :lol:) plus I would say that International rugby is much better in Union then it is League which helps the popularity. Add to the fact alot of Six Nations and important matches are all on domestic TV too. Very little League is on domestic TV apart from the odd cup game in which top players are often rested anyways, that doesn't help league. I do think club rugby is much better generally in League though.

O god yeah the commentators are much better, Plus you don't have to listen to Stevo talking out of his arse either. I recommend watching 'Monday Night with Matty Johns' when the NRL season starts if you want good analysis, and the 'Footy Show' if you want fun, light hearted type show.
  32. Nov 9, 2016

Dreadful indeed. I worked closely with a fella from Workington earlier this year who prefers union, is involved with the Zebras and plays the odd exhibition match. I remember being quite taken aback that he prefers 15-a-side and that the union prestige and infrastructure was more established up there as I thought it was still a league hotbed. Do you really think the only way back for the game in the region is to combine into a single team (Cumbria RL I suppose)?

My views on the future of the game can be perceived as elitist and patronising from those connected to clubs who are less well-off and/or have been mismanaged or undergone hardships outside of their control. However I think restricting finances in the game to the levels we have in order to level the playing field is not resulting in a sport that is fit for purpose now nor viable in the future. We need drastic action, and as you say Cumbria is a case in point.
  33. Nov 9, 2016

I played against the Zebras last season funny enough. But in regards to League, Yes I totally believe we need to merge Whitehaven and Workington. It's needed to happen for about 5-6 years IMO. I know a few of the Cumbrian lads playing in the SL have been trying to lobby for a Cumbrian team for some time.
  34. Nov 10, 2016

Changed the title guys so it can be a go to thread to discuss it. I've only been following the sport a few years a mate of mine got me into it and i went to my first 2 games this year- the first was Leeds away at Wigan (my mate is a leeds fan) and the other being the grand final, but with Leigh being in SL now i hope to get to some games next season. Agree with the sentiments about commentators over here , i find that they are almost trying to convince themselves about it being 'the best sport in the world' the amount of times they use that phrase in a game, it reeks of insecurity.

I think also it should be a winter sport. I also think most games should be on a Friday. I know my dad when he was a kid used to do Salford at home on a Friday then went watching Utd home or away on a Saturday.

Who do we have as the top 4 next year then guys? A lot of people rekon Widnes will make big strides.
  35. Nov 10, 2016

Aussie_Red_Devil Full Member

Brisbane Broncos fan here. Don't know much about the English comp but I do watch occasionally on a Saturday morning over here.
  36. Nov 11, 2016

I think there's still a fair bit of transfer business to be done, but for now I'd say after the 8s it'll be:

1. Warrington
    2. Wigan
    3. Hull
    4. Leeds

with Saints and Cas just below. Warrington, Wigan and Hull were the best three last year and I don't see that changing. After a bad year I suspect Leeds will be back competing.

I don't think Widnes have brought enough players in to massively improve their side and as impressed as I am with Cas' recruitment I still don't think they'll break into the top four.

Good to hear from you. I enjoyed our game the other year in the World Club Series, even though it's a glorified pre-season game for you and we still couldn't win. Are you looking forward to your match against Warrington in February?
  37. Nov 11, 2016

Aussie_Red_Devil Full Member

Of course. Always good to get competitivegames on tv. Don't know many players from Warrington but i just had a look at last years squad ( no idea how many are still there for next season) but Gidley is a good player. Sandow on his day can be one of the best halfs going around. Ben Westwood is a good player if i remember correctly. I like Mitchell Dodds and he is back at the Broncos next season. Hell of a defender. Not a fan of Ashton Sims at all. He is a decent player but he dropped the ball at the worst possible time for the Broncos in a semi final years ago. I just can't bring myself round to forgiving him.
  38. Nov 11, 2016

Yeah Simms from what I've heard from Warrington fans is premier in terms of mouth, fronting up to opposition and general leadership but what he does with the ball is nothing special. Ben Westwood is a great player (I've hated him throughout his career so he's obviously doing something right) but perhaps the years are catching up with him now. Same goes for Gidley, great player but not getting any younger. Sandow I agree is superb on his day, but he had injuries and after a great start fizzled out a little bit last season. I don't think Warrington have seen the best of Dodds but I agree he's got some class.

They've brought Mick Cooper back from St. George, I don't know what you thought of him in the NRL but he was good for Warrington when he was here. They've also taken Dom Crosby from us, a young prop who not a lot of opposition fans seem to rate but I like him and think he'll do well for them.

I was sent my season ticket renewal yesterday so I've already started to look forward to the upcoming season. If United continue their indifferent form into the new year I can seek solace in the rugby around February time.
  39. Nov 12, 2016

Scotland put in a great performance against New Zealand which I was lucky enough to attend last night. Sour grapes from the New Zealand players complaining about the Cumbrian facilities all week.
  40. Nov 12, 2016

Aye it was great. On a sour note for Wiganers Tommy Leuluai broke his fecking jaw and will probably miss the start of the season. Shit.