The Shadow of Munich

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SteveJ, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jan 28, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

[​IMG]
    The Munich disaster’s long shadow still falls on us all, 60 years on:
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...saster-60-years-manchester-united-anniversary
  2. Jan 28, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Nice read.
  3. Jan 28, 2018

4. Jan 28, 2018

Jazz Full Member

That was a sad but beautiful read. I really do hope our players read Sir Bob's letter and take it in properly.
  5. Jan 28, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Great piece of writing well done to Taylor and The Guardian
  6. Jan 28, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Pep or History?
  7. Jan 28, 2018

Billy Blaggs Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

8. Jan 28, 2018

Coops73 Full Member

A good read. What a beautiful and amazing club we follow.
  9. Jan 28, 2018

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

A Christmas present I received was a framed photo of the team. My grandad saw them many times, crossing the road from the Colgate factory after working Saturday morning. It was great to listen to his stories of that wonderful young side. The years have flown since the fiftieth anniversary and the derby game played in the retro strips. I can't believe that was a decade ago.
    [​IMG]
  10. Jan 28, 2018

I have an original match programme from the Highbury game as part of my collection of Munich season programmes.
  11. Jan 28, 2018

Wedge Full Member

Supports:
    a soft spot for Ajax
    Brilliant read, the babes have a place in all united hearts old and young.
  12. Jan 29, 2018

DMacgraw Full Member

13. Jan 29, 2018

David Court Banned

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    My dad was at that game. He thought Duncan Edwards the best player he'd ever seen.
  14. Jan 29, 2018

The Brown Bull Full Member

He’s not alone in that.
  15. Jan 29, 2018

buchansleftleg Full Member

MY god I thought i'd heard everything about Munich but then you get a story like Kenny Morgans getting rescued by two Journalists 5 hours after the search was called off!

Can you just imagine being trapped in wreckage for 5 hours amidst such death and carnage. He was found unconscious and I hope he was knocked out for the duration because it does not bear thinking about being awake while that was going on!

As it was, he went from having just established himself as first choice right back, to only play another few games, never recovering his form after the accident , even though his injuries were minor.

We have had the stories of certain players like Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton and Harry Gregg over the years, but there are still stories from others like Kenny that have not been given the exposure, probably because it was all too much at the time.

My dad was schoolmates with Shay Brennan and he said Shay spoke about the terrible mix of emotions he felt when he got his place in the team as a result of the death at Munich and scoring 2 goals almost in a daze.

It broke my Dad's heart to lose that team - I can't imagine how it would have felt to lose MY United team at that age!
  16. Jan 29, 2018

Vault Dweller Full Member

Both of those articles were beautiful but sad reads. Cheers @SteveJ much appreciated.
  17. Jan 29, 2018

You're welcome, mate. :)
  18. Jan 29, 2018

0161 New Member

Very good read!

Will anyone from the forum will be going down on the 6th?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2018
  19. Jan 29, 2018

Yes, my grandad shared that opinion. The pre-Munich side was packed with superb young players who were quality in their own right, but Edwards was the fulcrum of the team, he said. Matt Busby gave a famous interview in the seventies with Arthur Montford in which he rated the pre-Munich side as his best team and Edwards as his best player, ahead of Best and Charlton.
  20. Jan 29, 2018

David Court Banned

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    To be fair Charlton called Edwards the best player he'd seen
  21. Jan 30, 2018

mark_a Full Member

Here's a newspaper cutting from just after Feb 6th. The detail in this really brings things home.

Interesting to note is as it says Jimmy was 46, while Joe Armstrong chief scout (and "staff man"!) was the grand age of 64! He didn't drive, so I expect he'd gone on foot, bus or taxi. Back then I think players didn't all live too far from the ground, so possibly on foot. There would also probably have been quite a few that didn't have telephones. Knowing what I do about him, he'd have volunteered to do that rather than being "sent"!

I've another similar cutting somewhere which I'll try and dig out.

[​IMG]
  22. Jan 30, 2018

Baby Groot Banned

The Munich Air Disaster was featured in one of Mayday, aka Air Crash Investigation documentary series, that documents aviation accidents, doesn't nessery focus on the long term effects on the club. Rather investigates what caused the accidents. Its very informative.

Article about Harry Gregg.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rry-Gregg-opens-life-Munich-air-disaster.html

Note:If some mod could be so kind to emblem the video.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  23. Jan 31, 2018

David Bartley New Member

A moving and very good piece by Daniel Taylor. It's still heartbreaking.
  24. Jan 31, 2018

Sing you a song Full Member

Brings a lump to the throat , I was born the same year as the crash yet I feel I can almost remember it happening. I think this is maybe because I watched a TV programme about it on the 10th anniversary about the time that I was becoming United mad !!
    My dad bought me a book about the busby babes and that was that for me United forever .
    It was making me so angry last week when we were signing Sanchez and all the press were spouting on that it must be all about the money because no one would chose United over City .
    I thought all of this chat was a disgrace and showed a complete lack of respect for the worlds most famous and loved football club, every journalist ( probably some so young that they know nothing about Munich ) should be made to sit down and read this article to remind them that our club is not built on oil money but is in fact a sporting institution a symbol about all that is great about sport in this country a reference point for football fans all over the world a club that went through the most terrible tragedy that wiped out a whole team in one devastating moment.Sir Bobby Charlton is a national treasure probably the worlds most famous living footballer, wherever you go in the world no matter what language they speak they all know and understand the words Manchester United , " all about money " utter nonsense and a bloody insult.
    Every player we sign and everyone that comes through the youth system should be taught about the history of the club, choose City over United ! why on earth would any footballer with any basic knowledge of football history do that ?
  25. Jan 31, 2018

Utdfrom2002 Full Member

Fascinating read. And, always a pleasure seeing people with first hand information about that era telling their stories.
  26. Feb 3, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    An email from the club today about what they are doing at the Huddersfield match.

27. Feb 3, 2018

Lord SInister Full Member

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
  28. Feb 6, 2018

pauldyson1uk Full Member

29. Feb 6, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

RIP.