The team Fergie leaves behind

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ramshock, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 14, 2011

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Its been on my mind this past while that when the dreaded day comes when Fergie retires, leaving us to wonder who will be brave enough to take up his mantle, what shape will he leave the team in? Surely his best intentions are to leave the team for his successor to be as stable and strong and with as much depth as possible.

He will want the next manager to not have to miss a beat when whoever it is takes over so we can still be competitive at home and in Europe. I know the issue of whether there is any money for player investment is always there for argument but there are things we cant dispute and the most important one is Fergie will leave the job one day whether or not we have the finances to back his successor. If we do and the finances are there then it stands to reason he will try to make the team as strong as possible before he leaves does it not?

If the money is there then I see him significantly investing in the type of talent we need to succeed without him, proven talent to supplement the young players he has brought to the club. In the next two or three years I can see a systematic and deliberate approach from him to load us up for lack of a better term so he can leave us as strong as possible when he leaves.

Does anyone agree?
  2. Feb 14, 2011

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

I agree, As much as many dislike the Glazers and distrust Gil, I think they will support Fergie who will be mapping out a gameplan for leaving the next manager a strong squad to make it easy as possible for him to take over.

Not sure how much money he will spend as most top managers like to make their own additions when they come in, so I can see Fergie getting the best youth players and leaving the option of a couple of big signings for the next manager.
  3. Feb 14, 2011

Galactic Incorrigible pest

The new manager will have to 'build' his own United.

The best players will stay but I think he will definitely buy his players to complement them. He will only keep players and staff who he think he can trust. He would want to play his own kinda football/tactics. The new manager will be someone with his own reputation and I doubt he will want to be in Fergie's shadows too much and too long.

I foresee a fruitless first season or two as he builds his own side.
  4. Feb 14, 2011

two responses? more worried about o'shea or gibson, I shouldnt wonder, than fergies transfer policy in his last few years as manager. :houllier:
  5. Feb 14, 2011

Chris H Full Member

His transfer policy won't change. Hence the lack of response.

Also the new manager will not "build his own side". If it isn't broke, you don't fix it. Think of Inter Milan this year - Leonardo > Benitez
  6. Feb 14, 2011

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

What if he stays til he is 80? Here's hoping anyway!
  7. Feb 14, 2011

Sir A1ex Full Member

There's few sights on the caf to match somebody bemoaning the unpopularity of their own thread, while handily giving it a bump to try and give it a second chance...:smirk:

And yes, I've done it myself in the past, I'm sure!
  8. Feb 14, 2011

I honestly couldnt care about the popularity of the thread i just thought the remaining few years of Fergies transfer strategy would be a worthwhile subject! I was wrong!!
  9. Feb 14, 2011

INF-AMOS Full Member

Way too much thought gone into making the thread Rammy, you need to start threads such as 'Happy birthday paul Scholes' etc to stumulate debate.

Whilst im in here, i would have thought a new manager would rather assemble a side or add a few players himself than simply take over a very succesful side that is near perfect. In other words i would think he would want to make his own mark.
  10. Feb 14, 2011

Chris H Full Member

Ferguson will retire. At that point the club will hire a new manager. During the interview process, if a candidate for the job says "I know you guys have won everything in sight, but I want to get rid of a whole bunch of your players and buy some dudes that I like", the board will tell him to go feck himself.

It's Manchester United for feck's sake. If you want to make your mark, try to get the Aberdeen job.
  11. Feb 14, 2011

INF-AMOS Full Member

No shit sherlock. I'm sure i did also say 'add a few players' though to make his mark.

What high profile manager in his right mind would want the previous manager to shell out all the dosh on players he sees as the future and have to make it work, surely he would want to tweek things and have some of his own input to help create his own legacy.
  12. Feb 15, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

I would love if Fergie stays here for at least 3-4 years and if Ole turns out a very good manager till then.

Having someone like Ole would probably mean longitivity.
  13. Feb 15, 2011

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

United's a well run/oiled machine. Very strategic. They have proper long term plans and execute them well.
    The 80 to 100 million cash holdings has been set aside for when Fergie retires and thus his meager spendings in the past couple of seasons.
  14. Feb 15, 2011

phelans shorts Full Member

Never did Brian Clough any harm.
  15. Feb 15, 2011

Jinn Full Member

The new manager would need to command respect from everyone at the club. Not only the players but other members of staff who have been there for years and years.
    It's not going to be easy.
    The only other person i can think of, who was involved with the players and the day to day running of the club, and who also got the repect and admiration from the players and staff was Carlos Queros(sp?). Whether he is a good enough manager is another question altogether.
  16. Feb 17, 2011

dmode Full Member

I'm afraid that the new manager will have his new way of bossing, everything will change... we can decline, or maintain our tenure...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.