The "We Don't Actually Need A Midfielder" Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KingEric7, Aug 20, 2010.

1. May 24, 2011

Radamel FalCinao Shagawa Baby!

SAF is always saying you need to have faith in your youth though, and generally it pays off doesn't it? What if Nani, who was in a similar position to Anderson a while back had been given up on and a ready made replacement was bought instead?

Utd have never been a club to just go and buy a massively established player to limit very promising youngsters from becoming what they can be.

Besides, Anderson has showed more than just 'potential' to be fair. He has played great at times, he's just not fit enough, injury prone, and inconsistent.
  2. May 24, 2011

RAdzzzamel Falcao Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    Also, we don't want Anderson resting on his laurels, he needs some form of competition to keep his performance levels up imho, secondly, if he get's injured (he's had a couple of lengthy and unlucky injuries already in his career) who would we play there?

Cleverley? He's even younger and at the moment is also just 'potential'

I really don't think one genuine world class addition to our midfield is too much to ask.
  3. May 24, 2011

It's generally regarded that our midfield is the weakest part of our squad Eric, hardly debatable at all considering how good our defense and attack are.

Isn't the general point that it needs strengthening in order to match them? Only idiots on here think that it's not a good, well stocked midfield, just maybe not quite good enough to match other aspects of our team.
  4. May 24, 2011

Well there's always a thin line there I guess. Buy a big player and he gets far less game time, don't, and there's the risk you said above.

I'd rather Anderson got as much game time as is possible rather than going to other measures, personally.

We should be looking towards a midfielder to compliment him, not challenge him.

Although thinking about it, I still don't know what the feck sort of midfielder he will actually become :lol:
  5. May 24, 2011

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

I've never said anything otherwise, just contesting the point made by the other chap that it's not been good enough to deal with the strongest teams in recent years. That, also, is not up for debate, as the record speaks for itself, as does the nature of our performances against said teams. Even against Barcelona, for parts of the game it was hardly the walkover that people on here would have you believe. There was a good spell at the start of the game and also prior to Messi's goal that proved we were good enough.

I'd agree that we should assess the midfield situation this year, but we must do so with caution due to the points outlined in the original post when bumping the thread. It really is a tricky situation, and the imminent departure of Hargreaves doesn't make it less so.
  6. May 24, 2011

I agree actually - I think the player to actually suffer from any addition will probably be Fletcher or less-likely Carrick. I think having a versatile midfield is key.

Personally, the idea of Carrick and Anderson behind Sneijder in a 4-3-3 for me is great, considering Anderson could become a Schweinsteiger type player.

Likewise, if we really had to shore it up, Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson also works well as a defensive unit, with Anderson providing (albeit less) some goal threat and creativity as opposed to Sneijder (whom while he can put a shfit in, doesn't have that physicality of Anderson).
  7. May 24, 2011

In a 4-3-3 I won't debate that at all, Sneijder would be perfect then.

But Rooney and Chicarito are just so good together that I doubt we'd play a 4-3-3 very often.

I do agree with KingErics original post, it is a fecking difficult decision, BUT we do need 1 midfielder, the problem is I'm not quite sure exactly ... what or who.

For some odd reason I'd go Modric over Sneijder though, seeing as those 2 are the ones on everyone's mind.
  8. May 24, 2011

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

Hmm, I've often considered the stop-gap (the 30-odd year old maestro) option but, then again, I'm not too sure where that would get us, or who there actually is that is better than what we've got already.

There is something reasonably disgusting about the prospect of Sneijder or Schweinsteiger in our team, though. I'd go as far as to say that the team would be better than Barca's on paper.
  9. May 24, 2011

Schweinsteiger is the one midfielder I would've just loved here beyond all else. Not happening though.
  10. May 24, 2011

I must admit, Sneijder and Schweinsteiger in our team, alongside Carrick or any of the others would be an absolute sensational side.

Carrick--Schweinsteiger
    -----Sneijder-------
    Valencia--------Nani
    -------Rooney--------

Yes....oh yes
  11. May 24, 2011

Amir Full Member

Anderson should still have a role to play, hopefully a big role. But considering his injuries and failure to deliever on a regular basis, I fear we'd be putting too many eggs in that one basket if we sign no one.

As for signing someone to complement him, it's probably a Carrick type player. And we already have the original. For me, It's more of a question of who complements Carrick.
  12. May 24, 2011

Red-Indian Full Member

Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson with Giggs playing there occasionally is a pretty good set of midfielders to have and should be fine most of the time.

I suppose our central midfield will look a little more defensive than it used to with us going back to playing 2 upfront and Rooney relishing the withdrawn striker role.

Given the above, I think the main requirement is for a box to box midfielder who defends better than he gets forward. A young guy with some development to do is probably the way we'll go since Carrick, Fletcher will be the default choice most of the time. A Hargreaves replacement really.
  13. May 24, 2011

scottish_red Full Member

Bringing through youngsters is integral to United, i would never argue otherwise but that should never be done at sacrificing the quality of the team overall. If Ando does become a truly world class midfielder (thats what were talking here in regards to Sniejder and Modric) that we all hope, his playing time will not be limited. Fergie doesn't suffer reputation, just ask Berbatov that. Anderson and Sniejder would actually be amazing in a three man midfield, with Carrick anchoring in behind.

Out of the two Modric and Sneijder, i would go for Sniejder largely because his set piece taking is right up there with the very best in the world, something i feel we've been lacking ever since Beckham left... Ronaldo was good on his day but largely inefficient. Also Sneijder would give us a genuine goal threat from centre midfield, something i cant see Modric or Anderson ever doing, and is key the big tight games.
  14. May 24, 2011

Amir Full Member

Bad choice. We don't tend to look very inventive when we play those two together. This is the one area of the field we can really improve with the one good signing. We shouldn't neglect it and settle for what we have.
  15. May 24, 2011

MrMarcello Full Member

Midfield definitely needs a boost. The likes of Blackpool and Wolves ran circles around the midfield. I think that speaks volumes.
  16. May 24, 2011

Red-Indian Full Member

Well, creativity should come from Rooney and the two wingers. With Nani, Valencia and Rooney playing behind Hernandez, we can afford more solidity in midfield. Carrick, Fletcher with Anderson in reserve is a very good midfield behind that brilliant front four.
  17. May 24, 2011

Moston Red Formerly Giggs1973

I'd like to see a Hargreaves replacement personally. Fergie brought him in for a reason.
  18. May 24, 2011

Amir Full Member

Except it hasn't been, and we've seen evidence of that time and time again this season. We might not need a Zidane next to Carrick, but a player like Fletcher does not complement him or the team well at all. Obviously we need someone of multipule talents, not just a lazy bastard who will stand still and wait for others to work. But we do need more creativity and technical ability there. The way Wolves or West Brom ran rings around was cannot be repeated.
  19. May 24, 2011

scottish_red Full Member

Im undecided on this. I agree we lack a Hargreaves type player, but when Hargreaves was bought we played a different type of football, as if the team was set up to accommodate Ronaldo, the good and bad of him. This group is much more of a team, and now we can defend from the front, so less emphasis on a 'destroyer' as such is needed.

For Hargreaves 'replacement', i would much rather see Pogba promoted rather than splashing the cash on someone of that ilk.
  20. May 24, 2011

Red-Indian Full Member

I don't think its true that it hasn't been. in the first half of the season, I might agree with you. Rooney only started playing in his new deeper role in 2011 and since then, he's been the fulcrum of the side - linking defence to attack. Carrick to distribute the ball to one of Rooney, Nani or Valencia and Fletcher to chase the ball and harry the opposition is an excellent combination. Anderson's an option to change the way we play - more direct running from midfield.
  21. May 24, 2011

surf Full Member

We won only 5 away games in the league, and much of the problem was that the midfield failed to control the games against middle to lower table teams. Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Gibson, maybe Scholes and Cleverley is enough bodies, but some of them need to perform better or more consistently next season. The big hope is Anderson. And Carrick and Fletcher back to their best for a whole season. And yes, we may not need another midfielder, but we need more quality from the ones we have.
  22. May 24, 2011

VoetbalWizard Banned

yes we need a midfielder.

becks!
  23. May 24, 2011

LARulz Full Member

I agreed until I saw Beckham again today.

I want him back in our team! It won't happen but I do think he can genuinely do a job for us
  24. May 24, 2011

Berlinknives Full Member

Ridiculous suggestion that we don't actually need a midfielder ... we needed at least one midfielder to beat Arsenal!

:smirk::smirk:
  25. May 24, 2011

Name Changed weso26

Totally agree.
  26. May 24, 2011

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

We don't need anyone. With the players we have we've made it to the pinnacle of club football. We have Youth coming through in droves to add to the experienced players we already have. Now unless it's Hamsik, we have all we need.
  27. May 24, 2011

Siorac Full Member

That was Gibson, he doesn't count.
  28. May 24, 2011

Berlinknives Full Member

I disagree to an extent, I think the lack of an orthodox defensive midfielder, particularly with Fletcher being out for long spells meant that United were vulnerable away from home. That's not to say that Gibson, Anderson, Rooney, Giggs, and Carrick don't put the tackles in, nor that the likes of Carrick lack in positional common sense. Realitically the only orthodox defensive midfielder is John O'Shea, maybe Rafael da Silva ... players who can slot in when a defender is caught out of position. I couldn't trust Carrick with that.
  29. May 24, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

It's like you don't watch the games when it comes to Carrick, he slots in as a centre back plenty of times in the way that Busquets does (just to a much lesser degree). I can't understand you thinking that Fletcher's more of a defensive midfielder than Carrick when he plays so much higher up the pitch.

Yep, I'd agree. Can't see anyone that can offer the solidity he can along with being the team's playmaker. He's the all-round midfielder with an attacking edge.
  30. May 24, 2011

RedThaiDevils#7 Full Member

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
    I'd rather say the memories of 09/10 have fluffed him, remember the Bayern game where he couldn't mark Olic... etc..

Also that Spurs game where he was easily over powered by King to head that corner...

I'd rather take it that he has seen many occasions where Carrick was at fault for not being tight enough, so he regards him as not good defensively...

But in Reality, Carrick is one of the best DM's in the game and is very underrated. Had a patch of poor form in the middle of the season but is finally putting back the performances that won us three PL's in a row.

Hopefully that'll keep up for the CL final. We need him to be in top shape and top form.
  31. May 24, 2011

Nucks Cuckoo

I'd love the German pig riser.

I think we're getting Sneijder though.
  32. May 24, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Yep, I'd agree. Can't see anyone that can offer the solidity he can along with being the team's playmaker. He's the all-round midfielder with an attacking edge.
  33. May 28, 2011

VoetbalWizard Banned

yep, as the OP say. we do not need new midfielder(s). Our midfield will power us to victory at the allianz in 2012.
  34. May 28, 2011

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

Yes no investment needed whatsoever! FFS we finished that match with scholes and giggs! Even in their pomp with keane and brckham they would have struggled. Invest, replace and retire.
  35. May 28, 2011

Kevin Clearly a professor of football

Looking good. We have quite a few midfielders who could do a job, it's all sorted.

In all seriousness: if we aspire to be the best in Europe, we will need new midfielders, because you'll have to get past Barca at some point for the forseeable future.
    If we aspire to win the league, we have a chance, although it depends on what City and Chelsea do.
  36. May 28, 2011

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Unreal.
  37. May 28, 2011

It's not like tonight has been a revelation in that we do need a new shift in power in the midfield, whether by signing players or by youth coming good. It's been known for a while.
  38. May 28, 2011

Drainy Full Member

Park playing in a 2 man centre-midfield in a Champion's League final (second half).

Speaks for itself
  39. May 28, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

Carrick fails to deliver yet again.

Such an average player. I am not blaming him for today's defeat but has he ever stepped?

Baffling Fergie can't see that we need a fecking strong central midfield.

And the fact that we had to play Giggs in midfield is shocking.
  40. May 28, 2011

devilish Full Member

We're just 2 quality CM (and now a keeper) away from seriously competing against these cnuts. Unfortunately without such players we'll have our arse spanked once again.