Things in football you don't know (no judgement)...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by duffer, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

How do they work out the possession stat in a game? Is there someone with chess clock? Does a computer do it?

Part of me thinks they just make it up and we all simply accept it as fact.

Anyone else got any questions they were too ashamed to ask? No mocking or judgement allowed (unless you ask something really, really stupid).
  2. Aug 5, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

I always thought it was something like time on the ball as part of the time so far but honestly I'm with you here, no clue.

Would imagine a computer does it now but I don't know how it records inputs?
  3. Aug 5, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

Done properly there's a guy with a chess clock. But Opta use an approximation, which is # of complete passes by a team divided by total # of complete passes.
  4. Aug 5, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

What makes a foul throw a foul throw

I've never looked it up but I see tons that look like a foul throw not given and tons that don't that are
  5. Aug 5, 2018

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Do indirect free kicks have any point?
  6. Aug 5, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

How long has it been since Liverpool won the league?
  7. Aug 5, 2018

Most of the time foul throws are given because the player does not have both feet on the ground when the ball is released.
  8. Aug 5, 2018

RedFish Full Member

I know this one ! It's when the ball isn't released from your hands from behind your head.
  9. Aug 5, 2018

They hardly ever enforce that though, when players launch it into the penalty area for example, the thrower never releases the ball behind their head.
  10. Aug 5, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Both feet on the ground, throw with both hands, and have to throw from behind and over your head so no little dropping the ball or whipping it at the ground.

People like Valencia regularly don't have both feet on the ground and are committing foul throws but I can't remember him ever being pulled on it which is ridiculous tbh.
  11. Aug 5, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

My point exactly
  12. Aug 5, 2018

RedFish Full Member

Why did united's transfer window go to shit?
  13. Aug 5, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Is there a rule that says you have to walk slowly while returning from an offside position? :confused:
  14. Aug 5, 2018

You don't release the ball behind your head. It is from behind and over your head. Long throws aren't foul throw-ins. The rule stops you from releasing the ball in front of your face to whip it straight at the ground or to do a flimsy little drop. A long throw over your head is perfectly legal.

That isn't the rule though.
  15. Aug 5, 2018

It's a strange for for sure. Like goalies charging off their lines at penalties. Refs just let them do it.
  16. Aug 5, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Why can't you field two goalkeepers? You can have two/three/five CBs, two/ FBs, two/three CMs, two wingers, two/three forwards, but only one GK!

Maybe they should introduce a rule where you can rotate goalkeepers like you do with forwards. So, you could have another outfield player wearing goalie gloves, and if he dropped into goal with the other goalie pushing out he's now registered as the current goalie. We need more convoluted stuff like this to take the game to the next level.
  17. Aug 5, 2018

I had a mate who was convinced that you were allowed to sub players back on (who had been subbed off). He actually had played professional football as well (2nd division in Scotland but still).

I don't think I ever convinced him that he was wrong, it was back in the days where you could not whip out a smartphone and prove stuff. The good old days where bullshit ruled.
  18. Aug 5, 2018

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

The 6 sec rule, when so many keepers take at least 10 seconds to release the ball.

One time Mignolet took 22 seconds to ref actually notice something's off.
  19. Aug 5, 2018

BeamsAndTrusses New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I had read about this somewhere. At some football conference, some company actually measured the precise time of possession and the number of touches each team took. And it had a pretty close to 1:1 correlation. Meaning if each took 300 touches each, then they ended up having the ball for 50% each. This was done over a big enough sample size to be proven that number of touches by each team divided by total number of touches in the game is the possession of that team. I hope this shakes some knowledgeable posters memory and they correct me if this is wrong.

Very good thread btw .
  20. Aug 5, 2018

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    When I played youth soccer, we did that. Like in basketball, you're subbed out by the coach, take a breather or tactical change. You can go back in anytime, really no limit to it. This is actually normal in the US and probably Canada. I don't know if they use the same subbing rules for youth in other countries.
  21. Aug 5, 2018

Tiber Full Member

I know indirect free kicks exist, but not how thry actually work, especially in the penalty box
  22. Aug 6, 2018

njred HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    How do some Managers have a complete change in personality in a few short years when grounded normal people stay the same?
  23. Aug 6, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

The taker can't score without someone else touching the ball.
  24. Aug 6, 2018

Blatzo Full Member

In regard to the possession (and other stat/data) question I can give an answer of sorts:

There are pieces of software (e.g. sportscode) which allow users to draw buttons on a computer screen (think MS Paint and drawing squares) which can be set up to follow certain rules when clicked.

The rules correspond to a timeline/database which logs each click and follows the rule depending on which button is clicked.

In the case of possession the button is programmed to switch between the two teams on each click.

The buttons can be mapped to a keyboard or touchscreen which allow analysts to log multiple bits of data per match.

I know, with absolute certainty, that there was a premier league merseyside team who were using software of this nature ~5 years ago. I've seen the raw data log from their cup final against Chelsea.

Having seen the posts in this thread about possession now being measured by # of touches as a % I believe that is probably accurate - it's still a bloke behind a computer screen clicking a button after every touch though.
  25. Aug 6, 2018

paulscholes18 Full Member

The offside rule when the player is beyond the goalkeeper
  26. Aug 6, 2018

Blatzo Full Member

The rule is that there has to be 2 defending players between the attacking player and the goal-line when the ball is kicked.

Its just that one is usually the GK
  27. Aug 6, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

Is this thread just for questions or answers too? Because the answer to your question is a man sits at the ground with an XBox controller tracking the game live and inputting the info: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...an-revealed-data-collector-stats-company.html
  28. Aug 6, 2018

Tiber Full Member

Yes I know that much. But I dont understand why they exist
  29. Aug 6, 2018

JMack1234 Full Member

How can a football journalist say a deal is done and be proved totally wrong and still be respected, whilst if a journalist from another perspective did the same. I.e. the new PM is Boris Johnson and it just has to be announced and it turned out to be totally wrong, that would be a career defining blunder.
  30. Aug 6, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Valencia has had some calls against him for releasing the ball improperly. It's a rule that's more enforced in lower league football.
  31. Aug 6, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

That's just human nature. People build reputations that never get questioned even when they're completely false.

PR is amazing at forming a positive or negative reaction associated with a single person.
  32. Aug 6, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Basically it's foul = direct free kick. Indirect free kicks are given for offsides, goalkeeper picking up a backpass, goalkeeper holding on to the ball for too long etc. Why is there such thing as an indirect free kick? I don't think anyone knows why. It's been a part of the rules since the rules were conceived in the form they are now which was about 150 years ago. It's just what football is really. Personally I don't see a reason why you aren't allowed to score from a free kick you got because of an offside.

No, it just gives the defender less time to mark you after the kick. They can't follow the attacker because they have to keep line.

Mignolet has actually once been given an indirect free kick against him for holding the ball too long (16 seconds). The opposition scored.

Referees are simply too scared to enforce this rule. The rule is clear, the problem lies with the refs.
  33. Aug 6, 2018

Hughes35 Full Member

Because teams would then just play with 11 Goalkeepers but they would stand and play in the normal positions. Things like corners wouldn't work anymore because as soon as the ball entered the box every player on the defending team could just catch the thing..... being able to have more than one goalkeeper without the Gk's being able to leave the penalty area might be interesting though!
  34. Aug 6, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    The "dribbling per game" is confusing. Does it count the distance, number of players they skipped, how long a player keeps the ball, or what?
  35. Aug 6, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Excellent thread. I'm learning some interesting stuff which I didn't know about earlier.
  36. Aug 6, 2018

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it's a bit like the yellow/red card system. You can't have the same punishment for all offences as that would suddenly put an elbow to the head on the same level as an offside.
    Indirect free kick are for technical offences. Things like offside, GK holding the ball too long (yes as referees, we rarely enforce this) and even shouting "leave it" counts as a technical offence.
    Easy rule of thumb -
    No Contact = IDFK
    Contact = DFK

The free kicks inside the penalty area are a nightmare to police. As you know, the wall has to be 10 yards away from the ball. If the free kick is 8yards from goal, the wall has to stand on the goal line.
    If a free kick is given to the attacking team when an offence occurs inside the 6 yard box, the ball is placed on the 6 yard line closest to where the offence occurred.

Also, with a defending free kick (both direct and indirect) inside the penalty area, the ball MUST leave the penalty area before it can be played by another player. Most think that the law only applies at goal kicks but it's in place for defensive free kicks too.
  37. Aug 6, 2018

kiristao Full Member

If a forward pushes the ball past a defender and the defender blocks the forward from getting to the ball it's a foul. But when the defender does something similar to allow the ball to go out of play it's not a foul.
  38. Aug 6, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

I'm not talking about free kick situations where it has been flagged for offside.

I'm talking about situations that go something like this: attacker makes a run in behind defenders but doesn't get the ball played to him. No flag. His team keeps or wins back the ball. Then, instead of hurrying back onside to be available for the next opportunity, he walks slowly.
  39. Aug 6, 2018

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

What is working or playing it "between the lines"?

A phrase used almost exclusively by British co-commentators
  40. Aug 6, 2018

The "lines" would be defence, midfield and forward lines. So dropping deep in between those lines to find space or passing through a line to bypass them etc.