Things that need to happen but likely won't

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ramshock, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

A few things need to happen after this season is over, even if City slip up and we still nick it which im doubting will happen. I think this period of transition thats going to come up in the next few years with Fergies impending retirement would be made smoother if a few things happened.

1. Transfer policy. Fergie and/or Gill have to be honest with the support base when it pertains to the clubs finances and transfer policy. In light of the financial muscle teams like City and Chelsea have and indeed the likes of Madrid and Barca and others who can invest heavily in talent and will almost always outbid us. The United model of developing talent is great on paper but it was always supplemented by buying the occasional top class talent. Berbatov signaled the end of that policy in my eyes and reguardless of drop in quality of transfer targets the youth and development is hindered by my next problem.

2. Coaching/Scouting. Firstly we all know about the restrictions placed on the coaching of academy talent and how far behind the likes of Barca and Ajax etc it is but when it comes to senior playing level the lack of talent with close control and on the ball skills is killing us. Watch the likes of City and Barca who invested or developed talent who are small and powerful in stature but amazingly tight on the ball and can beat a man. Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Messi, VIlla to name a few. We dont have players like that we have fast athletic athletes with the comparative first touch of a baby elephant.

Our most skillful player on the ball Nani isnt even the greatest at beating a man one on one. How do we overcome this? We coach our kids better and or buy players who are better with the ball at their feet. Additionally our coaching staff at senior level in my opinion do not make progress at all with the passing game. 3 years after the Barca loss in Rome we were outplayed with the same tactics by a lesser club in Bilbao. In my eyes there was no progress made in the ability to pass our way out of the pressure game. A change in coaching and scouting to get to a level where we can play with the ball instead of relying on speed and crossing ability.

3. Retiring. This one is a must and probably the most painful thing that needs to happen. Ryan Giggs and probably to a lesser extent Paul Scholes need to retire. Giggs purely because his time has come and I feel like he has nothing left to achieve or give to the club in a playing capacity (more on that later)

Scholesy, who probably could run the midfield for another season or two, has to go because we have to cut the cord. Others must be allowed to progress in the centre of the park and that continuous junkie like need for Scholes is doing us more damage in the long run. We have to move on without these two legends and they need to get involved with the coaching ASAP if either has to prove they have the ability to succeed the manager down the line.

With these two out of the picture the midfield will have to be addressed.

4 New assistant manager. Be it Scholesy or Giggs or an experienced coach I think its time Phelan and or Meulensteen were replaced. I know this is an oft talked about subject on here but as I mentioned earlier with the coaching/scouting something has to be done to freshen up the coaching. Since the departure of our last number 7 our game has become stale and unvaried in my opinion. Of course most of it comes down to the managers philosophy but I never get the impression that Phelan pushes his ideas or thoughts on the manager as much as say Kiddo or CQ did. Mick wasnt the most vociferous player or strongest personality and I cant imagine he isnt any different as a coach. Meuelensteen for me hasnt progressed the passing ability of the team enough to warrant his position and we could use a fresh coach with fresh ideas to replace him.

5. Fergie. The boss needs to look at himself and make sure he has the fight and hunger still needed to be the manager. I dread the day he leaves but he needs to be realistic with himself and the especially the support. If he does he needs to stand his ground and use his clout and leave his successor with the best possible team and players he can. Theres really no room anymore in Manchester let alone the top echelons of the game for penny pinching no value the market stance he has either been told to adopt or has taken upon himself to adopt. Dont turn into Wenger Fergie and dont turn us into Arsenal If the last bit of your legacy is either winning another CL or leaving the next manager with a strong talented team either way most of us would be extremely happy. I just hope he stops compromising himself and the club by compromising on the talent he buys for the club.
  2. May 1, 2012

Relevated Moral Guide

18M1955/JU5 - May the eyes of cowards never sleep.
    People have been saying that about scholes and giggs for years and years when it doesn't look good for us/them.
  3. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Fans need to be understanding and realise that just because we're behind a club on goal difference after they've spent 600 million, we don't need wholesale changes at the club.
  4. May 1, 2012

padzilla Hipster

There's no justification for not spending big this summer given how far behind Europe's best teams we are in midfield. This will be the acid test for Gill and the Glazers to see if they are being honest when they say the money's there but they are choosing not to spend it.
  5. May 1, 2012

Man-United Full Member

Without the city money, we would have looked at this season as fantastic, leading the league with 17 points more than Arsenal.
  6. May 1, 2012

Rednails Full Member

Good post Ramshock.
  7. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Scholes and Giggs age and our lack of talented players on the ball would still hurt us. All endemic imo.
  8. May 1, 2012

Smores Full Member

Somebody has an unhealthy sense of entitlement.......
  9. May 1, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I can't believe people agree with this shit.
  10. May 1, 2012

ERICSAGOD Grumpy Old Git

We need to rebuild the midfield, and the best midfielders I've seen all season were those youngsters from Bilbao.

Time to get the cheque book out.
  11. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Explain? Im a life long supporter who invests a lot into the club why cant I have opinion on how I see things?
  12. May 1, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Is it fecking opposite day? That's hands down the worst OP after last nights defeat.
  13. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

A bit more of a constructive riposte would be appreciated other than its shit.
  14. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

:lol: jesus feckin christ you would think I asked for Fergie to be shot.
  15. May 1, 2012

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

:lol:

At least he gave the !!!!!!!!!!! a rest.
  16. May 1, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

I really don't think we should cut the cord with giggs and scholes, especially scholes who has been the vest prem midfielder since Christmas in my opinion. Of course we need players to take over the mantle but what an education it is to play with living legends. They may be coming on a bit and we need to be more selective when to play them but they can still do a great job.

As for transfer policy, I'm all for not overspending. As good as Yaya is, 200k+ a week would kill our club. Obviously Rooney is an exception but it can not be the norm. Saying that I firmly believe fergie needs to, and will either show faith with a young CM or bring someone in
  17. May 1, 2012

Plan M Banned

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Theres a balance though, nobody said bankrupt the club, but there has to be a balance in order to remain competitive. Besides I said more clarity with our financial situation was mentioned too.
  19. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

you both have foreskins yeah?
  20. May 1, 2012

Plan M Banned

!!!Ramshock!!! !!!Poster of nonsense!!!

:lol: :lol:
  21. May 1, 2012

Drifter American

Agree with point 4.
  22. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

:lol: you are a silly little cnut. Hows the missus btw? wont be long now until the shitty nappies start

edit !!!!!!!!
  23. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

"we have fast athletic athletes with the comparative first touch of a baby elephant"

I think you should have to explain this quote or risk being banned from the Man United forum for a lack of knowledge on football in general.
  24. May 1, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    You should watch our academy team next season. You'll feel a lot better.
  25. May 1, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

I think that by looking at our finances as have been made available we are pretty much working within our means (in terms of paying off the debt and still remaining profitable). We are still spending a lot, 50 million last year. It's just the stupidity of spending at City, Liverpool etc that makes it seem small fry.

Also Fergies reaction to Mancini definitely makes me believe he has the hunger.
  26. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

yeah i doubled up on words there. tell me who has the closest ball control on our team and compare them with the players mentioned
  27. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Well yeah but Mancini has one of those punchable faces anyway. Then if we have a meagre amount to work within our means our level of success is going to drop isnt it?
  28. May 1, 2012

kps88 Full Member

You say Phelan should be replaced because he was never "the most vociferous player or strongest personality" and then suggest Scholes should be our new assistant manager.

You say Rene, who's coaching career began in Holland more than 20 years ago, isn't good enough and "hasn't progress our passing" and then suggest Giggsy, of no coaching experience whatsoever, would do a better job.

Couldn't make this shit up.
  29. May 1, 2012

Plan M Banned

:lol: :lol:

Bringing my wife into it - classy as ever, !!!Ramshock!!!
  30. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Watch them on MUTV all the time mate. My question to you is how often do these academy players make it to the first team. Look at Barcas production line and then look at ours. We still, rightly so, go on about the class of 92 that was 20 years ago and we havent had a haul like that since.
  31. May 1, 2012

buckooo1978 Full Member

I agree with most of that but scholes was the most talented player on the pitch last night

We do need to address a few issues

A left back who can defend would be good

For me the big change we need is the big change we needed post-Rome champions league

We lost two 'special' players in ronaldo and tevez and we haven't replaced them - our midfield was crying out for quality last nite - in scholes you get 70 mins of class, carrick has been excellent but park shouldn't have been on the pitch

Our approach to the game was wrong - how can you leave out Valencia? I think a good assistant and/or defensive coach could be useful

There's not much wrong at the club but we could be on for title 21 if we had addressed these issues (particularly in midfield) 3 years ago
  32. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

I didnt say Scholesy should be our next assistant manager, I said if he wanted to see if he could replace Fergie down the line. I think Scholesy would make a better technical coach than manager
  33. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Nani. Rooney. Berbatov. Carrick.
  34. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Ah you are taking this seriously? for feck sake I thought you were having a laugh and not a cnut like Lance. Wise up mate.
  35. May 1, 2012

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

To answer the OP; Newcastle to get something in their game, and us to win the remaining games. Then all of the above will not be cared about by the majority of our fans.
  36. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Really? Better or equal to those players mentioned and many more? Explain how we cant handle talented pressing teams then.
  37. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

You've just made a 900 word thread explaining how we need to get rid of Giggs and Scholes, described our players as players with "the comparative first touch of a baby elephant", and even questioned if Ferguson should still be manager. You've decided our AM isn't good enough on a complete hunch, and bought up poster's wives when they disagreed with you.

I don't know why you're having a laugh. This thread is an embarrassment.
  38. May 1, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Fair enough, I guess it depends on if you look to how things go in the future or if you just give a shit about right now. If we do pull this off this season it doesnt change things in my opinion but it is a forum and it is only my opinion.
  39. May 1, 2012

Chabon Full Member

We should probably break the collective TV deal as soon as possible. We can compete with City and Chelsea with a quarter of 'their' money, but why should we have to?
  40. May 1, 2012

Smores Full Member

Oh well obviously if you spend some money on the club it's okay for you to question Ferguson's hunger.

Nothing spoilt about questioning the hunger of a manager who's delivered 4 PL trophies in the last 5 years, nop not at all.