Tiemoue Bakayoko

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Adisa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

Adisa Full Member

What does the Caf think of him?
    Watched him closely for the first time during both legs against City, while playing for Monaco.
    I think he's defensively and tactically very poor and I can see why he doesn't get into the French squad.
    Although Chelsea's results have been decent, a team with him and Kante as a base will always concede imo.
  2. Dec 6, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

3. Dec 6, 2017

Champagne Football Full Member

When you think Matic failed in his first stint at Chelsea then it's fair to say Bakayoko will probably be top drawer in around 18 months if given the trust.
    Fletcher was dross at the start. Jordan Henderson too.
  4. Dec 6, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

The Chelsea lads will come on and tell you he's better than Matic and he's just what they need etc etc..
  5. Dec 6, 2017

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Not quite there yet, raw in some areas, but with definite talent.

Any player can miscontrol a ball occasionally.
  6. Dec 6, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Not getting in to the French squad is not that big a deal with the silly amount of talent they have in midfield. don't really rate this guy though, seems like a poor man's Matic.

The video is funny, but that can happen to anyone really.
  7. Dec 6, 2017

Bubz27 Full Member

That's damning when you consider both are primarily defensively minded. I'm not saying they're DMs by the way. Neither is a sitting midfielder in your Carrick or Makelele mould. But they both hunt and press in an effort to win the ball back and then pass it to the offensive minded players.
  8. Dec 6, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I wasn't impressed by him in the CL last season when he played for Monaco, I felt Fabinho was clearly the better of the 2.
  9. Dec 6, 2017

Dancfc New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    And here we are, i was wondering why the standard "Matic is what they are missing" post after dropped points was taking longer than usual.
  10. Dec 6, 2017

Mcking Full Member

Although they are pretty good one on one, both are not very good in positioning and discipline. They don't compliment each other. If you have either in your team, you need someone like Matic, Busquets, someone to sit and close down spaces. Fabregas is not the man and that's why they look shaky in defence.
  11. Dec 6, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

They could have buried us in our game against them at Stamford Bridge if all those opportunities fell to anyone but Bakayoko. He just lashed at the ball with seemingly zero technique. He was so involved but seemed to ruin just about everything he touched. A better player would have punished us.

Haven't seen enough of him to really judge, only a few games for Monaco in the Champions League, and another few for Chelsea, but what I have seen in that small sample isn't too impressive.
  12. Dec 6, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    To me his technique isn't actually very good.

He's high energy and can press so that will always get you brownie points in English football but I watched him in both Juventus games for Monaco last season and the ball was being played to him and it was bobbling off his shins. His control was awful and we've seen that a bit in some of the Chelsea games he's started against high level opposition.

He reminds me a bit of Reo-Coker actually. :lol:
  13. Dec 6, 2017

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

He's been pretty awful for Chelsea so far, but like Lindelof, he's young so let's give him time.
  14. Dec 6, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

I don't rate him, wasn't happy when he was linked with us.

Fabinho is the much better player. Bakayoko is just a battering ram with a poor touch.
  15. Dec 6, 2017

singabiru New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Bakayoko was bought as a flavour of the month when the real quality player in Monaco’s midfield is Fabinho. I was against his signing for Chelsea from the start and unfortunately he joined the club.
  16. Dec 6, 2017

TheeAma New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Champions League Team of the year.

Matic is slow and isn't a high energy box to box midfielder. Matic is perfect for jose who sits back not conte that like his midfielders to cover alot of ground.

Bakayoko is adapting to a new league and new style of play. He's raw lacks concentration but he has good positioning, makes good runs and he contributes to the attacking phase of the game much more than Matic.

He was injured for pre-season and we played him while he was injured. Judge him next season.

P.S None of you united fans rated Matic till you got him so stop acting like he's the best thing since slicebread.
  17. Dec 6, 2017

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

He'll turn good, just adjusting to England like so many others have to do. And people are writing him off. Shock.
  18. Dec 6, 2017

AR87 Full Member

I am a United fan who rated Matic and wanted him when we were linked. Even said it on RedCafe's very own pod over the summer. You should check it out some time. It's a good pod!

Bakayoko is a dynamic B2B player, but I don't think what he brings to the table balances well with Kante and Fabregas in a 3. Drinkwater provides the most balance among their options, regardless of who else is picked in the middle.
  19. Dec 6, 2017

Zoo Full Member

20. Dec 6, 2017

Hojoon Full Member

He's been compared to Matic because Chelsea sold him in the same summer but I don't think they're alike at all. He's a lot more comparable to Pogba as an attack-minded LCM.
  21. Dec 6, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

He's not that good tbh. I was impressed with him at first but the more I watch him closely the less I rate him. He'll be a squad player in a few years.
  22. Dec 6, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

This is true.
  23. Dec 6, 2017

TheeAma New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Fabinho just sat so that bakayoko could attack and that he dis well.
  24. Dec 6, 2017

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Massively overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he has potential to become a good player in a few years time, But if Chelsea wanted a more finished article then Fabinho was the one they should of got.
  25. Dec 6, 2017

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Very early days so it would be stupid to write him off.

He's not been very good though whenever I've seen him. Doesn't seem very coordinated.
  26. Dec 6, 2017

Aboutreika18 Full Member

I honestly thought he was the weakest player in Monaco's starting XI last season and was surprised Jardim preferred him over Moutinho.
  27. Dec 6, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

He's been dreadful so far. F365 had something up yesterday and they voted him worst player at a top 6 club or something. Obviously reactionary, hyperbolic nonsense but nevertheless I haven't been impressed with him at all, personally.
  28. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

From the looks of it, seems to only have a career because he's tall, strong and has an engine. I've watched him countless times and almost every time he's done something questionable defensively and contributes very little offensively. This isn't a Chelsea thing either, I watched him for Monaco and he was marginally better there.

He's a box to box player, so when you compare him to Pogba the difference is massive. Kante is also far better than him despite being physically at a disadvantage.
  29. Dec 6, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Probably selected for his energy otherwise it would've been a bit one paced in the middle for Monaco.

At Chelsea however Kante can do the job of two with his mobility and he also has better technique. Drinkwater is starting to get starts now so looks like Conte actually rates him rather than it being an English player signed by Chelsea to satisfy the home grown criteria. Kante-Drinkwater as a combination is proven of course in the premier league.
  30. Dec 6, 2017

Danny Roberts Full Member

Great clip.
  31. Dec 6, 2017

Maradona10 Saviour of the Season 2016/17

Needs time, he was doing well at monaco and although he was covered by fabinho, mourinho clearly liked him as well. People want to get on his back as he is chelsea's matic replacement but they simply changed style to a more proactive one and i think he will come good in next few years. He is just 22.
  32. Dec 6, 2017

20solskjaer Full Member

He still is, hes gone backwards if anything
  33. Dec 6, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

And many more players were dross from start to finish. There are no guarantees either way
  34. Dec 6, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Strange argument. Matic had Ballack, Lampard, Essien to compete with. Chelsea is well known as dead end for young players from youth players to break into the first team squad. Add to that Ancelotti was the head coach at the time who is well known for taking no risk with youth players like 99% of the time. And last but not least, Matic was more of advanced third midfielder than his now established role. Matic transformation is not the norm.

What I am saying it the circumstances are very different. So is players' attributes. The generic giving enough trust cliche ain't working as Bakayoko had been given plenty of trust during his time with Monaco, yet he's still an in development player.
  35. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

The comparison to Jordan Henderson is actually pretty apt. The main thing they are good at is running around. Henderson was actually pretty good when Liverpool were going for the title, but it was more good form than good qualities.

The only player from Monaco that has kicked on is Mbappe, the rest of them haven't really shown their quality yet.
  36. Dec 6, 2017

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I like him. He’ll brcome a solid player under Conte
  37. Dec 6, 2017

Champagne Football Full Member

There's been so many that were laughing stocks who went on to become top drawer or superstars who had very tough competition also to compete with for a place in the team - Bale, CR7, Hazard, Stones last season, David Luiz, Mo Salah, Lindelof slowly starting to shine, Fellaini, Fletcher, Lingard a laughing stock until 2 weeks ago etc

I think the fact that Bakayoko has shined in spells at Chelsea despite some horror performances is enough to suggest he'll get there in the end probably sometime early next season I would say. 2 months ago Lindelof slipped which led to an earth shattering defeat to Huddersfield. A game we were supposed to hammer them in. Lindelof was destroyed by the media and fans as being a massive massive waste of money. In the past 2 weeks he's been hailed as rock solid. It can all change very quickly with a run of 5 consecutive games and confidence.
  38. Dec 6, 2017

To be fair, Mendy looked excellent before his injury.
  39. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

A player can't be 'excellent' in the space of 5 games because its not enough of a sample size IMO. I watched him in those 5 games and he wasn't even that good, he had some good games and some bad games.

Its a bit like saying Bernardo Silva has been excellent, when he's only started 5 games and been up and down in performances.
  40. Dec 7, 2017

Well we will have to agree to disagree then because he looked excellent. Maybe you have a bit of bias I'm not sure but he looked like everything that we need funny enough.

If he returns from injury unscathed then City have got an excellent player on their hands unfortunately.